Start by marking “A Book of Saints for Catholic Moms: 52 Companions for Your Heart, Mind, Body, and Soul” as Want to Read:

4.42  ·  Rating details ·  113 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Lisa M. Hendey, founder of CatholicMom.com, leader in Catholic new media, and author of The Handbook for Catholic Moms, introduces fifty-two holy companions as guides for the high calling of Catholic motherhood.
Published November 1st 2011 by Ave Maria Press (first published October 17th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Book of Saints for Catholic Moms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Book of Saints for Catholic Moms

Stuart
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Lisa Hendey is the creator of the website Catholic Mom, a go to source for moms (and even dads) looking for great advice on parenting, Catholic family life, and Catholic cultural topics. She also wrote perhaps one of the greatest book for Catholic moms, The Handbook for Catholic Moms: Nurturing Your Heart, Mind, Body, and Soul.

As you can probably guess from the title, there are 52 chapters, one saint for each week of the year. Each chapter begins with a brief blurb telling you the specific saint
Julie Davis
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This wonderful collection guides readers through fifty-two saints. Some are famous, like Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta, and some are virtually unknown, like Chiara Badano. Each entry discusses a saint's life, how their experiences give special insights for living a holy family life, a pertinent quote by that saint, devotional suggestions for individual and family use, and daily scripture meditations and prayers. I have been using this for weeks and it is a real treasure. I especially appreci ...more
Ellen Gable
Dec 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A Book of Saints for Catholic Moms by Lisa Hendey is a beautifully written, well-researched and extraordinary book which showcases 52 saints. The reader can focus on one saint per week (although some people might prefer to read it straight through). I especially like the format. Each chapter begins with basic information about the saint, their feasts, patronages, etc. A story of the saint follows, with lessons, traditions, quotes from the saint, then a week of scripture passages, saint-inspired ...more
Jul 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-list
Over the years, I've come to know and love Lisa Hendey. It was a joy and a blessing to read her latest book.

Lisa inspires me with her intimate view of the saints. She not only makes them accessible and relateable from a mom's point of view, she brings us an opportunity to learn more about the saints in a way that's uniquely suited for the nitty-gritty of everyday family life. You'll experience the saints as real people even as you grow in your faith journey.

One of my favorite books this year, an
Colleen
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading about and praying with the saints over the last year. The format of meeting a new saint each week and daily prayers and meditations was wonderful. My one small criticism is that I would have liked the saint bios to be longer. I was longing for a bit more background information for each one of them. Now that I finished the book, I'm contemplating starting over at the beginning in 2013.
Trish Shaw
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It has helped my grow spiritually, There are 53 saints so each week we focus on a different saint. There is information about the saints, what they contributed and then there are daily scripture passages a challenge for mom and kids and prayer to the saint. We pray to the saint at dinner time right after grace.
Alaina
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect for a busy Catholic mom who wants some spiritual theme for her day, but doesn't have much time or quiet for reading. There is one saint per week, and one Scripture verse and short meditation per day. I kept up with it for an entire year, and I look forward to repeating it again eventually.
Wendy
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is not a book you read straight through. It is a resource to be used on a weekly basis, a different Saint each week. I loved the format, with prayers and activities. It is an excellent way to get to know some of our most loved Saints!
Irma Rodriguez
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
I'm reading this more on an "as needed" basis. Great stories of saints who mothers can pray to for support of different aspects of motherhood. I'm loving it! I will always come back to it when I need a little pick me up.
Kerry Ann
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is a wonderful reference. it is heart warming and applicable source of encouragement. It was a huge comfort to me when my husband was in the hospital after a serious injury. It kept me company on many sleepless nights by his hospital bedside.
Megan
Jul 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great addition to my books on saints
Elizabeth Scalia
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully done; excellent resource
Lisa
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: catholic, saints
A good book to read as a family with older children to introduce them to a new saint each week.
Alicia
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The BEST book out there for Catholic women who are interested in learning more about the Saints. I am contemplating reading it again in 2013...
Amy Mumaugh
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing

I enjoy learning more about the saints and love the prayers at the end of each chapter. This is a book I know I will be reading and rereading for a very long time.
AJ
Oct 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Interesting activities and meditations for any woman.
Sarah Romero
Mar 13, 2012 marked it as to-read
Love the grateful spirit of the preface!
Kelly Veatch
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book took me well over a year to read. There are 52 saints in this book, and by taking one a week (and missing a few weeks here and there), it took awhile. I learned so much about the lives of these holy men and women. Each week gave me something to learn and something to think about as a mom. I'm going to start this book back over and do it again because I loved it that much! I highly recommend this one to Catholic moms with children of any age.
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've held onto and read this book off and on but I love it and continue referencing back to it. It's a great source for learning about saints, reflection, prayers, and family activities. Lisa Hendey has handed Catholic a wonderful book of saints we can turn to for any prayer need.
Feb 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful prayer companion that you can pick up again and again! Beautifully written and thoroughly researched. It gives the reader an opportunity to get to know saints as well as reflect upon different aspects of life that make up a mother's vocation.
Kristine
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this, however I didn't care for the writers personal reflections.
Amanda
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-read-to-kids
I used this as a basis for a family saint of the week. I read parts of it at breakfast every day.
Cheryl
Jan 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • A Little Way of Homeschooling
  • Lord, Have Mercy: The Healing Power of Confession
  • The Catholic Home: Celebrations and Traditions for Holidays, Feast Days, and Every Day
  • Why Catholics are Right
  • My Sisters the Saints: A Spiritual Memoir
  • Consoling the Heart of Jesus: A Do-It-Yourself Retreat- Inspired by the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius
  • Shirt of Flame: A Year with St. Therese of Lisieux
  • Breaking Through: Catholic Women Speak for Themselves
  • 7 Secrets of the Eucharist
  • Life-Giving Love: Embracing God's Beautiful Design for Marriage
  • Pope Awesome and Other Stories
  • I Believe in Love: A Personal Retreat Based on the Teaching of St. Therese of Lisieux
  • Medjugorje: The Message
  • The Courage To Be Catholic: Crisis, Reform And The Future Of The Church
  • Style, Sex, & Substance: 10 Catholic Women Consider the Things That Really Matter
  • Mercy in the City: How to Feed the Hungry, Give Drink to the Thirsty, Visit the Imprisoned, and Keep Your Day Job
  • Parenting with Grace: Catholic Parent's Guide to Raising Almost Perfect Kids
  • Small Steps for Catholic Moms: Think. Pray. Act. Every Day.
Lisa M. Hendey is the Founder and Editor of CatholicMom.com, a web site focusing on the Catholic faith, Catholic parenting and family life, and Catholic cultural topics. The author of The Handbook for Catholic Moms and A Book of Saints for Catholic Moms, Lisa lives in Fresno, California with her husband Greg and teenage sons Eric and Adam. She loves reading, writing and time with friends and famil ...more
More about Lisa M. Hendey...