Start by marking “A.R. Rahman: The Spirit Of Music (Free Music Cd)” as Want to Read:
A.R. Rahman: The Spirit Of Music (Free Music Cd)

A.R. Rahman: The Spirit Of Music (Free Music Cd)

When composer A.R. Rahman's first film Roja was released in 1992, his astonishing music with its other-worldly melodies, tonal texture, pulsating rhythms made an instant impact in India.

His abundantly flowing talent has given life to the score of over a hundred films, including Dil Se, Bombay, Lagaan, Warriors of Heaven and Earth, 127 Hours and Jodhaa Akbar. According to
Published March 29th 2011 by Om Books International

To ask other readers questions about A.R. Rahman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A.R. Rahman

Dhruv Joshi
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
"When people ask me what’s the best way to compose a song, I tell them, a song has to come to you like the breeze.

In South India we talk of the breeze that blows through the leaves of the coconut tree. It has a natural feel and makes the leaves rustle gently. It isn’t the same thing if you shake the tree violently." Journey of a maestro from a struggling childhood, composing ad jingles to a successful music director!
Sahil Khurana
This book feels like a transcript of a very regular interview of A R Rahman. Any book of famous musician should give detailed accounts of how he was feeling when composing a particular piece of music - what led him to chose one singer over another or one musical instrument over other.
His collaborations, specially with Mani Ratnam, Subhash Ghai and Imtiaz Ali left me asking for more and gave nothing new which a fan already didn't know.
This interview in video format would have been better IMO.
Anuz Kulung
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this book
Abhishek
Jan 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Dull questions and wasted opportunity to interview a living genius. The author has brushed upon his craft and spiritual practice in a shallow manner. Hardly anything of insight was captured and as one amazon reviewer pointed out: this could have easily been a video interview than a whole book.

The author seems to be enamoured by the presence of AR Rahman rather than be objective about the interview.

The edition I read had an additional chapter to catch up on the present times. That chapter is eve
Ankit
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was sitting in a cafe when a friend told me that i haven't read non-fiction in a while. That sent a series of strange thoughts in me. Why do I always read fiction? Is there something beyond the marriage between beautiful words and master story-telling. And it was just a chance encounter that I picked up this book that evening.

A.R. Rahman is someone who defines Indian film industry with his beautiful tunes. And as a big fan of Rahman Sir, it was such a delight to read his answers to some of the
Kirty Vedula
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: none
Shelves: biographies
Not that great! Takes about 1/2 hour to finish the whole book. Seriously...can do better. I am disappointed. It was just like a transcript of a regular 30-min interview where the discussion was on a selected few movies and compositions. To imagine the huge hoopla before its release, I am really disappointed!
Bhaskar Rac
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book about one of the best commercial and spiritual composer on earth. Very much recommended to anyone who is into creativity, professionally or non-professional because of his spiritual views that he can transform into his works.
The book is not too long to read and much clearer if you know his works and other professionals in the industry.
Madhur Shrimal
Aug 07, 2013 rated it liked it
A pretty decent book which contains conversations with A.R Rahman basically about his life. This book basically gives the overall journey of Rahman in the music world, with the music world. It describes his experience with other famous music personalities. Overall a good book to read (It can be read in 2-3 hrs).
Ram Vasudeva
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good attempt on the maestro of Chennai. Very little was known about him (in terms of published material) and this book brings it out just in the right sense and the right way.. But, i hope many more writers do write about this wonderfully simple man.
Arvind
Apr 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: sports-arts
3.5/5 short biography ~ 100 pages in form of conversations held over 4 yrs. Although it is short it is quite satisfying n well-rounded. Will be reading one more bio of Rahman and all by d author since I loved d style.
Vishnu Balakrishnan
Jul 02, 2012 rated it liked it
A GOOD INTERVIEW
Geetha
Apr 24, 2013 rated it liked it
The book is in the form interview.. jumps from one story to another, some instances seems to repeat some stories..
Nakul Agrawal
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must read for all the Rahman fans and people who want to make music.

Gives you a good insight on Rahman's thought process and music production process.
Pechi
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
All we wanted to know about A R R :D

Special instances like composition of Luka Chuppi.. you can find it nowhere!
Must read for Rahmaniacs!
Connectunable Torahman
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
nice
Prasanna Devi
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Though it's like a q/a session, interesting facts about arr is revealed, for a fan like me overwhelming !!!!!
Saasha
May 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Alexander The Great's Art Of Strategy: Lessons From the Great Empire Builder
  • Soros: The Life and Times of a Messianic Billionaire
  • Dangerous Company: The Consulting Powerhouses and the Businesses They Save and Ruin
  • Palmistry: The Language of the Hand
  • The Case of the Negligent Nymph
  • Wheels for the World: Henry Ford, His Company, and a Century of Progress
  • World Mythology
  • The Mammaries of the Welfare State
  • The Power of Simplicity: A Management Guide to Cutting Through the Nonsense & Doing Things Right
  • Colonialism and Neocolonialism
  • How to Read a Novel
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume  #2
  • The R Document
Born in India, documentary filmmaker and writer Nasreen Munni Kabir lives in London, where she has made several programmes on Hindi cinema for Channel 4 TV, including the forty-six-part series Movie Mahal and The Inner/Outer World of Shah Rukh Khan. Her several books include Guru Dutt: A Life in Cinema; Talking Films and Talking Songs with Javed Akhtar; The Spirit of Music with A. R. Rahman; Lata ...more