Start by marking “Noble Cause: A Novel of Love and War (Military Heroes Through History #1)” as Want to Read:
Noble Cause: A Novel of Love and War (Military Heroes Through History #1)

Noble Cause: A Novel of Love and War

(Military Heroes Through History #1)

Author's Note: This novel is a new version of Shades of Gray with a Happily-Ever-After ending.

This is the tale of Colonel Alexander Hunter, a dauntless and daring Confederate cavalry officer, who, with his band of intrepid outcasts, becomes a legend in the rolling hills of northern Virginia. Inspired by love of country and guided by a sense of duty and honor, Hunter must m
Kindle Edition, Revised Edition, 384 pages
Published March 29th 2011 (first published January 19th 2008)

Candace Tidwell
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is one of my all time favorites. I have read it so many times I have lost count but it just gets better every time I revisit it.
I have always been a sucker for a strong, outspoken female lead and Andrea is all that and more. This is historical fiction at its finest.
I love history and this book takes place during the civil war but this book is so much more than the north versus the south. Life, love, liberty are words that can be used to describe it but doesn't even scratch the surface
Dianne
Author Jessica James has written an amazing historical romance, "Noble Cause” – noted by the author as being a new version of Shades of Gray with a Happily-Ever-After ending. The Civil War, one of the most horrific episodes in American history is brought back to life with vivid battle scenes blended with the tragedy of having to choose honor and a sense of duty to country over promises made in the name of love. Confederate Colonel Alexander Hunter is known for his abilities on the battlefield, a ...more
Gaile
Aug 02, 2010 rated it did not like it
Although this book started out well enough, it soon began to limp along like a goose with a broken wing.
There was too much squabbling between the two characters. There were extra characters that were not integral to the story and should have been eliminated. The pace would pick up and then slow down, pick up and slow down. I found myself reading it with only half my mind on it. The end was disappointing and again dragged along until I thought the end would never come. Not my favorite read.
Regan Walker
Loving the Enemy in the Civil War

Set in Virginia, beginning in 1862, this is the story of Captain Alexander Hunter, an officer in the Confederate army, who is respected by all but continually outsmarted by a Union scout, a mere boy. In reality, the boy is a young woman named Andrea Evans, who works for her cousin’s husband, Col. J.J. Jordan of the Union army.

Thinking to send Andrea away from battle, J.J. sends her to Richmond on an undercover assignment to act the lady in the heart of the Confed
Melinda
Jun 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
I received this ARC of Noble Cause from Netgalley in return for an honest review.

I understand that Noble Cause is a re release of a book called Shades of Gray with a happier ending. I didn't read the original book so I went into this one knowing nothing about the other,
I really loved the historical fiction and romance part of this book combined together. Both are genres I enjoy and I felt this author did a great job of giving us a good balance of them.

Noble Cause is set during the Civil War and
Englishrose
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a simply fabulous book! Something every historical fiction and every romance lover will enjoy. James pulls you into a world of war, loyalties, and love in a wonderfully woven story of being true to your heart. Alex is a strong male character that you fall in love with. Andrea is an amazing woman whose moral dilemmas you feel in your own heart. Their romance is strong and realistic and absolutely heart-wrenching. To be pulled so strongly into a story with such wild and vicious issues and ...more
Tricia
Jul 28, 2009 rated it liked it
This was a bit melodramatic and predictable...but still a good read if you like VA history.
Suzanna
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
I bought this book while on a trip to Gettysburg with my family. I am happy I read it and enjoyed it so much!

There were minor things that threw me off at first, but as the story continued I became used to them or they went away entirely(like the pacing and character backgrounds, for example).

I would recommend to american historical fiction lovers :)
Cheryl Malandrinos
Jan 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A powerful, engaging, and totally captivating novel of the War Between the States awaits you in "Shades of Gray: A Novel of the Civil War in Virginia" by Jessica James.

Andrew Sinclair is a Union spy and the dreaded foe of Confederate calvary officer Alexander Hunter. Both fighting a war based on honor and conviction--one fighting to keep the Union together, the other to preserve a way of life--they vow to fight to the death.

But there is something about Sinclair that Hunter does not know: he's a
Sandy Vaughan
Aug 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
What drew me to the novel? The title which suggests a willingness to give the reader an unbiased view of the conflict? The cover? The fact that General Lee was from Virginia? Maybe I was influenced by my southern heritage with both parents being deeply routed there. I can only rejoice that i was drawn to the novel.

You are not taken from one blood battle to the next, rather you are taken through the war by the conflicts of two people, both Southerns, but one strongly for the rights of the stare a
Jultri
Dee Sweitzer
Mar 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommended to Dee by: a member of our book club
This is an historical novel, a love story in historical context. The leading male character, Alex, is based on Capt. John S. Mosby of the 43d Virginia Cavalry and chronicles the clash of Alex with a Union spy as they defend their beliefs, their country, and their honor. Though laced with historical detail, it is less about the clash of armies on the batttlefield, as it is about the clash of loyalty and love with honor and conviction.

Although I enjoyed reading this book, I did not like the long v
Tracyk
Apr 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Hmm i'm a bit torn wether to give this book a 3 or 4*. I enjoyed the beginning but the middle really slowed down with a lot of repetition of Hunter leaving for war missions for a couple of weeks then going back home & arguing with Andrea the Heroine.

I so hated the Ending.
Petra
Dec 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shades of Gray chronicles the clash of a Confederate cavalry officer with a Union spy as they defend their beliefs, their country, and their honor. Andrea is a woman of courage, faith, and commitment. Capt. Hunter is a man of devotion, valor, and honor. This is a great read.
Kelly
Mar 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Thanks to NetGalley and Patriot Press for my copy of Noble Cause.

Honestly, when you start a book that is compared to Gone with the Wind, you almost feel intimidated. I LOVED Gone With the Wind, and to think that a book could compare was... impressive.

I started Noble Cause and could not put it down. The characters were what made the book. You have a southern born belle fighting in any way that she can for the North, and the United States of America, and you have a Virginia born horse breeder, wil
Donna McBroom-Theriot
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have always loved historical romances. They are always full of intrigue and action, and of course, love. Noble Cause opened with action and kept you riveted from the first page to the last.

I love the quote that the author opened the book with, written by Abraham Lincoln:
"But one of them would make war rather than let the nation survive; and the other would accept war rather than let it perish. And the war came."

The characters in the book are inspired by the love they hold for their countr
Terry
Apr 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: free-on-kindle
This book started out very slowly with way too many capture and escapes between the main two protagonists repeating the same arguments over and over but once you get about 150 pages into the book, the story picked up and held my interest. At that point I began to care about the characters and wanted to know what happened to them. I even shed some tears a few times towards the end of the book. I would recommend this book for people who enjoy historical romances set during the civil war just speed ...more
Faith Ingram
Oct 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was the most moving book I have read about the Civil War. The characters have very deep conversations about their reasons for fighting in the war. I was so connected with the main characters feelings and emotions that I wept right along with her through several parts of the story.Her horse and her country are the great loves of her life. Because of past and present hardships she does not let herself get too close to people until one great man is finally able to crack the hard protective she ...more
Elizabeth Stagis
Feb 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 100in2011
This book is purely a love story with a LOT of tedious dialogue. I was expecting some serious historical fiction and got a simpering romance novel. The characters felt very contrived and were the embodiments of extremes. Their conversations were repetitive and the end was, frankly, a bit hokey.

That said, it was a good romance. If I'd gone into it expecting a straight romance novel plus a little Civil War backdrop, I would've been happy and satisfied. But this book stretches on far too long for w
Eternal Gypsy
Just 2 words... Loved It! I would totally recommend this to anyone who loves historical romance. I quite enjoyed the arguments between Andrea and Alex. They reminded me so much of the "discussions" my own husband and I have had regarding the reasons for secession and fighting the Civil War. Bottom line - It's a great storyline, you quickly fall for the characters (both are highly intelligent and strong willed), it's action packed to the point where you won't want to put it down, and it has some ...more
Carrie
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
I'll preface this by saying I haven't read Shades of Grey. I downloaded Noble Cause as it was being offered as a free Kindle book. I felt that this book was nothing more than two people arguing non-stop. It was kind of cute at first, but it became completely unbelievable by the end. It just wasn't my cup of tea. I'm wondering if it was just me....judging by the other reviews on here, lots of folks seem to have a different opinion.
Jan 13, 2012 marked it as abandoned
This book got great reviews on Amazon so I was expecting it to be a well-researched historical novel. Instead, it was more like a slow moving harlequin romance novel (without any romance in the first 10 chapters of the book where I abandoned it). The writing was contrived and juvenile. Disappointing.
Lisa
Mar 11, 2010 rated it it was ok
I read this book thinking it would be a "meaty" historical fiction that detailed the civil war. I was disappointed in that instead it was a light "romance" story taking place during the civil war. Not what I expected.
Misfit
Apr 10, 2012 marked it as the-kindle-black-hole
Just picked up at the library. Interesting comments on the critical one star reviews on Amazon. Must see for myself.
Sandy
Really enjoyed this story.

Merged review:

This is a re-write I believe of Shades of Gray. This is just is shorter version.
Tara
Feb 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Romance lovers, historical fiction lovers, Virginia residents, Civil War buffs
Beautiful love story set during the Civil War. Great settinga and dialogue that helped me understand the choices that were made.
Jessica Jenson
Sep 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: never-read-again
Ok.

Seriously.

Anger. In the extreme.

It's times like these that I sincerely wish there was such a thing as a negative 5 stars. Don't get me wrong, it's not because the writing was terrible (I actually really liked the flow of the book), but because I hated the main character so, so, so, SO, SO, SO, (never-ending "so's") SO SO SO MUCH!!!! Why?

1) She acted childish all throughout the book. Adults would tell her to do something, and she would disregard them, saying "It was her life and she could put
Ashley
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Maybe it’s because I just watched the play Hamilton, or maybe it’s just that good, but I couldn’t put this book down. I thought about getting back to reading every time I had to stop (which I did have to stop because it was so long). If you like Pride and Predjucie (movie, not book since I actually haven’t read the book), then you’ll probably like this. Also similar to Romeo and Juliet, 2 foes from different sides. My heart raced while reading and I’ll be thinking about it for awhile.
Shaunie
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed it

I really enjoyed this book. Although there were times when I felt the worst scenes were too long I understand the role they played in the story. I often felt myself taking sides in the love story - Sometimes being very frustrated by the characters, their stubbornness, and their commitment to cause. I could not put it down.
Alda
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good story but a bit long...
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Audiobooks: Free Reviewer Copies: Noble Cause 1 28 Oct 07, 2014 04:30AM

• Iron Branch: A Civil War Tale of a Woman In-Between
  • Innocent Deceptions
  • One Wore Blue (Cameron Saga: Civil War Trilogy, #1)
  • Mountain Woman
  • The Spruce Gum Box
  • Cold April
  • The Wolf's Sun
  • Love and War (Coltrane, #1)
  • Bountiful Creek: a legendary love story
  • Francesca of Lost Nation
  • Flame (Flame Set, #1)
  • Shadows of Glory (Abel Jones, #2)
  • Sprig of Thyme
  • Just Deceits
  • Spirited Away (Spirited Away, #1)
  • Memoirs of Napoleon - Complete
  • In A Stranger's Arms
  • Widow of Gettysburg (Heroines Behind the Lines, #2)
Jessica James is an award-winning author of suspense, historical fiction, Christian fiction, and military fiction ranging from the Revolutionary War to modern day.

She is a three-time winner of the John Esten Cooke Award for Southern Fiction, and was featured in the book 50 Authors You Should Be Reading, published in 2010.

Her novels appeal to both men and women and are featured in library collect

Military Heroes Through History (3 books)
  • Above and Beyond: A Novel of the Civil War (Military Heroes Through History #2)
  • Liberty and Destiny: A Novel of the American Revolution (Military Heroes Through History #3)
“My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that.” – General Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson” 1 likes
“An army of sheep led by a lion would defeat an army of lions led by a sheep.” – Arabian Proverb” 1 likes