Start by marking “Don't Call Her Angel” as Want to Read:
Don't Call Her Angel

Don't Call Her Angel

Peering into Emily's and Rasul's lives from the outside paints an unlikely picture-the sweet, deferring Southern bride and her cold, self-possessed, ex-military husband. Peer into their bedroom and the scene grows starker still. Domineering man, submissive girl, a sex life not for the faint of heart. But peer inside their heads? That's another matter entirely.

Obsessive,
Published June 10th 2011 by Ellora's Cave

To ask other readers questions about Don't Call Her Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Call Her Angel

Start your review of Don't Call Her Angel
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*3.5 stars*

Hot erotica!

I was really fascinated by this couple and this relationship. So complex, and a really enjoyable erotic read.
Mandi Schreiner
Jun 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Last week I mentioned Don’t Call Her Angel - and I gobbled it up this week. It is a dark erotic novella. Rasul, originally from Jerusalem is strict, stern, paranoid with ocd tendencies and has found the love of his life with Emily. Emily on the outside looks like a little Southern bell, but she suffered sexual abuse when young, and that has shaped who she is sexually as an adult. Although Rasul is extremely possessive, he knows Emily wants another man for a night as a gift, and he wants to give ...more
D
Oct 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Cara McKenna
3 stars even.

credit where credit is due: mckenna writes a plot set-up that can be fairly alienating but populates it with fully drawn, diverse characters. i felt like i could walk into any urban neighborhood bar and fairly quickly find each of the three characters; they were recognizable and multi-dimensional.

i gave this book fewer stars than some of her others because this came off as more of a well-realized writing exercise than a fully emotionally engaging story.
SaturNalia
A quick glimpse of Rasul and Emily's life. I wish there was a prequel on how these two came together. But kudos to the author for creating such interesting and complex character in such a short span of pages.
MBR
This is a score sheet review and here I post the score sheet summary. For the full score sheet review summary please visit MBR's Realm of Romance .

This is the very first time I have attempted to read a romance that features more than the usual hero and heroine in the mix. And though deep inside I would always be a M/F fan girl for life, there were certain elements within the story; mainly Cara McKenna’s prose and style that just sucked me in from the very beginning and possibly might have
Kaetrin
May 25, 2012 rated it liked it
I felt like a change of pace after reading the Lucky Harbor books so I picked up this off my TBR pile. It's erotica more than a romance - there is no relationship arc with a HEA - essentially, it is about a couple (Rasul and Emily) who invite an acquaintaince (Jeremy) into their bed for one night (no m/m action though so don't get too excited). While Rasul and Emily remain happily married at the end of the story, the story itself isn't really about their relationship. It was hot and enjoyable ...more
Juliana Philippa
3.5 stars.
I absolutely loved Willing Victim , which was my first Cara McKenna read, and was looking forward to reading her other stories. Don't Call Her Angel has good reviews, so I was expecting to like it as much as Willing Victim. I did enjoy it, but I didn't find it as sizzling a read. There are some very hot scenes and McKenna writes them well, but especially during The Big Night, I found the flow of the story to be very choppy.

I was really interested by Rasul and Emily. They're both
Karen111
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
**3.5 Stars**

This was a hot and sexy quick read, in a style so well written - I wouldn't expect any less from Cara McKenna. In my opinion, she's the Queen of Kink - she really gets into the heads of why people do what they do - and I always come away feeling both hot & bothered AND a little bit more aware!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Emily and Rasul are a married couple who have a very particular type of sex life. Rasul is dominant in the bedroom, and Emily is submissive, but in between all the layers, it's really the
G.
Jan 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Mismatched on the outside, but perfectly matched where it counts; Emily and Rasul were fascinating. Jeremy, their temporary third, wasn't as interesting to me, but I think there's certainly something there that makes you wonder about what might happen to him while he's playing a tourist. Endless possibilities there.
Cyn Mistress Kitty
Very interesting, intense, slightly dark story. I really liked all the characters but would have liked this story to have been longer and more background info given.
Amy
Jun 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2read2

Dark, erotic, and very intense characters. Very different feel/style of writing, but very good!
Lillie
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Hot but I wish it would have went into more depth about the events of the past.
Fran
Aug 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: spicy, library-book
3.5*
Romancing the Book
Posted on Romancing the Book's blog
Reviewed by~Ashleigh
Review Copy Provided by~the Publisher

Looking into the marriage of Emily and Rasul, you would never think that the dark deeds done behind their bedroom door were actually happening, but for Emily doing whatever it takes to make her husband happy makes her happy. Coming from a home that wasn’t the best, Emily has an issue with men, and it has taken a tough soldier like Rasul to make her feel like a woman, but there is just one thing that
Liz Blue
Dec 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Some books are four stars because they're great, I love them, but there are things I just have to ignore. Maybe it's some creaky writing or purple prose, maybe it's a bit of superficial characterization, maybe I had to work too hard to suspend my disbelief. Other books are four stars because--while they're fabulously written, they're everything they set out and promised to be, they're just not quite what I want. This book is one of the latter.

McKenna is awesome. She never takes shortcuts (that
Theodora Taylor
Mar 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Description: Emily, a sweet Georgia blond, and her husband, Rasul, a hard Middle Eastern man, have created a mutually-beneficial, Dom/sub marriage for themselves. Will inviting another man into their bedroom disrupt or further fuel their passion?

The Good: This is a really, really, really unusual read. It’s not quite BDSM, but not in any way your run-of-the-mill romance. The narrative is more slice-of-life than straight-forward, and in many ways this story feels more like a character study, with
Anna
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book for what it was a short, erotic story.

Rasul loves Emily so much that he wishes to indulge her fantasy of bringing another man into their bedroom. Jeremy, a longtime customer at the bar where Emily works, she believes would fit the bill. The three indulge in a hot night directed by her husband.

While this was erotica and M/F/M, I would say it was pretty light kink. It was well done and even with Emily's described submissiveness, it's not really explored deeply as other books.
Sassafrass
Not quite as good as Willing Victim which in my opinion was phenomenal. This was definitely a good but not that "blow me away" fantastic that I had gotten with Willing Victim. I don't know I think I just wanted more. I don't know exactly what I wanted more of, but something was missing for me.

I will say that I have to read more of Cara McKenna's stuff. She's fantastic! I like her voice and her style. I like how dark she goes and she doesn't apologize for it.
Brien Michaels
Jul 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
I've been a fan of McKenna's work ever since I went on a buying spree and purchased the bulk of her EC backlist a few months ago. Something about her books just captivate me, and this was no exception.

And I've gotta say, the woman has a gift for characterization that I can only hope to possess some day.
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great one by Cara McKenna. Her characters are always rich and well-defined. I especially loved her depiction of Rasul- he seems all hard and cold on the surface but underlying that he loves his wife and wants her happiness above all else. The events are unusual but somehow the author makes is seem very real and emotional.
Limecello
Apr 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Pretty sure this was straight up erotica (guess I need to check these details? :P)
Interesting - worked as erotica. (Sparse as erotic romance.)

Of course I read it some time between 3-9 AM ... and read four books/stories in that time.
Kristy
Apr 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Review coming soon
Anna
Oct 15, 2011 rated it liked it
I don't know if I liked this book or not.
I feel like I didn't get to know the charachters as well as I have with Cara's previous books.
Or something like that.
Janina
Jun 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
A hot, steamy fantasy lived out by a married couple :)
Kiera
rated it did not like it
Jan 20, 2015
Gabriel
Aug 14, 2019
Maygirl7
Jun 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary, het, menage, are
I appreciate what the author was trying to do, but it wasn't a success for me.
Lisa
rated it it was ok
Mar 23, 2015
Leslie Martinez
Feb 04, 2016
Stef
Jul 08, 2013
Since she began writing in 2008, Cara McKenna has published nearly forty romances and erotic novels with a variety of publishers, sometimes under the pen names Meg Maguire and C.M. McKenna. Her stories have been acclaimed for their smart, modern voice and defiance of convention. She was a 2015 RITA Award finalist, a 2014 RT Reviewers’ Choice Award winner, a 2012 and 2011 RT Reviewers’ Choice Award ...more
“He pumped her roughly, filling the room with the sounds of their breathing and the smell of their sin. She felt drunk, this man’s harsh energy as intoxicating as ten bottles of wine. She stroked his chest and dug her fingernails into his shoulders. Spurs, telling him to make it rougher.” 2 likes
“After a moment’s hesitation, he (Jeremy) asked, “Would you ever ask her to do this for you? Bring another woman in…” He stopped speaking as Rasul grasped him once again by the shoulder, thumb pressed uncomfortably close to his throat.
Rasul blinked and stared past Jeremy’s face, seeming thoughtful for several seconds before speaking. His words were slow and cold. “I would sooner die than allow my wife to wonder for a single moment if another woman could stir in me any fraction of the desire she does.”
2 likes