Start by marking “Fragile Minds” as Want to Read:
Fragile Minds

Fragile Minds

Trust no-one – not even yourself…

'I think I might have done something bad. Last Friday.'

When a bomb explodes outside the Royal Academy of Ballet in the heart of London, the police initially suspect a terrorist group. But the pieces don't fit and DCI Silver is struggling to find any suspects.

Published (first published April 14th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Fragile Minds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fragile Minds

Sara Townsend
Apr 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Claudie is still recovering from a personal tragedy when a bomb explodes outside London’s Academy of Ballet, where she works. Claudie’s friend Tessa is one of the victims. Claudie has a terrible feeling that she was somehow involved in the bombing. If only she could remember the events of that day….

As the police investigate whether a terrorist group was behind the bombing, the story unfolds from the point of view of three characters: Claudie (in first person); DS Lorraine Kenton (third person);
Cleopatra  Pullen
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fragile minds is written from three different viewpoints; Claudie, who believes she has done something bad but simply can't access her memory for the time before a bomb exploded outside the ballet academy where she worked. Claude is still mourning the death of her son and is desperately frightened that she is losing her mind.
DCI Silve is in charge of the investigation into the bomb, was it a terrorist or was it linked in some way to the ballet academy. When the police discover several girls miss
Chloe
Jul 14, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. I liked it, but didn't absolutely LOVE it. Lots of characters to keep track of (or spend a couple of paragraphs wondering who exactly are they again?). But, an interesting, quite complex plot with a fabulous twist (most of which I had guessed, but anyway - (view spoiler)).

The story is told from different points of view. C
Book Monitor
I really liked this book. I felt the author managed to express the sadness and loss of a bereaved mother and her vulnerability in this state to the exploitation of others. I liked how the first "event" and it's initial aftermath was handled- It felt very realistic post 7/7 and although I have absolutely no knowledge of real police procedure or strategy that too seemed plausible. I engaged with the story and Claudie, and a bit to my surprise because I wasn't sure at first, the two main police off ...more
May 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction

Another of my holiday reads.

Very much a story of suspense. Overall an enjoyable book though not quite as good as others I have read by same author.
Naomi Buchanan
While I found this book intriguing, it was also very disjointed, and there was many holes in the plot throughout. In some ways it felt like the author was trying to mix too many twists into the plot, which became hard to follow, especially in the middle of the book.

I was also disappointed by the ending. Anticlimactic with another "storyline" thrown in right at the end concerning DCI Silver, which I didn't see the point of. It felt like the author was trying to tie up loose ends, and honestly di
Lisa
Aug 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having only read Never Tell by Claire Seeber I was expecting something similar and as I was quite disappointed with Never Tell as it wasn't the kind of pschological thriller I usually enjoy, I assumed that this would also be just an ok read. Well, you should never assume things! This was so much better and I really could not put it down. It involves quite a complex but never confusing story of Claudie, a physio at the Royal Ballet, who has had a breakdown following the death of her son and altho ...more
Bev Taylor
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
trust no-one - not even yourself

claudie is a very troubled person, suffering black outs and also seeing a psychiatrist after losing her son ned and her husband leaving her

a bomb explodes o/s london's academy of ballet and the police think a terrorist group is responsible. h/e dci silver has his doubts

this is a remarkable detective, a past alcoholic, divorced, with 3 children and an ex who is following the same path. his side kick is kenton who understands him perfectly and is a lesbian

claudi
Katie Boyden
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: already-read
AvonBooksUK
'I think I might have done something bad. Last Friday.'

Still recovering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder after a terrible tragedy, Claudie fears that her recent black-outs are a sign that her symptoms are returning. When her friend Tessa dies in the explosion, Claudie is gripped by the inexpl
Kelly
May 04, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book felt quite disjointed, it kept moving from person, to person, to person and I found it hard to follow. There were far too many details to try and keep up with and remember what had happened to who. It had too many 'holes' in the story and kept jumping from one thing to another and when I finally realise why something had tied in I was reading something else again about something totally irrelevant!

I did find it a bit far fetched - the detective's wife had killed the sister of one of t
Eulalie
I enjoyed this story more than I expected to after the first few pages although I was irritated by the frequent use of idioms instead of original dialogue.
The plot was a bit confusing ( to me, anyway) with lots of different names and possibly too many characters; or too many names anyway.
I am unsure if DCI Silver is a "one off" or if he features in previous novels, I found him likable and reassuringly human, but Claudie seemed like the sort to investigate the noise from the basement in a horror
Ellie
Nov 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a great read, combining drama with crime and thriller definitely worked in the formation of the plot and it was very interesting to read separate chapters regarding different points of view.

I enjoyed the chapters from Claudie's point of view, she demonstrates elements of complexity due to her fragile mindset and her independence, both sharp contrasts to one another. We also have regular chapters from Kenton and Silver, two police officers who investigate the case of the bomb explos
Barbara Elsborg
I bought this based on the fact that I'd enjoyed other books by this author but I was not so keen on this one. I found it a bit disjointed and rather obvious too. Won't say why - don't want to spoil the plot. I kept going thinking I'd enjoy it more the further I got into it, but I didn't. Joe Silver never really came alive for me but he felt a copper who could reappear in a series. I love the name!
Lesley
Aug 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad but I was expecting better. Cover notes compare Seeber to Nicci French and Sophie Hannah......I don't think so.
A terribly confusing plot but interesting enough to keep me turning the pages even though I guessed who the villain was half way through. I didn't expect the ending, that was a surprise.
Main problem I had was that I didn't much like any of the characters and thyat meant I couldn't really engage with the story.
Clare F
May 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway in 2011 but have only just got round to reading it.

I really enjoyed this book although the constant changing of viewpoints was difficult to follow at first. I was left unable to guess who was deceitful and who was trustworthy which keeps you gripped to the end.
The interesting plot kept me hooked but ended up falling flat and confusing at the end.
The repeated descriptions of how attractive, people found the main characters to be, including random pedestrians and passers by and the RIDICULOUS amount of characters' names to be remembered was the low point for me.
Mel Burns
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. Claudia was a character a little to close to home but I needed to see how she did. Silver was ever the gentleman and soul but I had to find out if he won his battle. Loved loved this book.
D Wedd
Jan 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, very readable. I liked the switching between characters as it gave you different points of veiw of the story. I did find the ending a little obvious though.
Joy
Jul 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took me a while to get into it and got very confused with all the aliases LOL but worked it out in the end and I think the ending was "right".
Claire Emba
A little tough to get into but worth persevering. Nothing amazing but absorbing and the short story at the back of the book shows Seeber can write much better than this.
Urszula
Dec 06, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Could not get into this book. Too many characters, too depressing story line and to complex descriptions
Allie
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why did it take me so long to discover this author??? Another gripping read from start to finish. Brilliant :)
Margaret Stickland
Liked , Disturbing how the young and vulnerable can be won over by care and nurture, to the other person's benefit.
Nicole
Dec 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Leaping
  • The Wrong Girl
  • Why Don't You Come For Me?
  • Where The Truth Lies
  • Gone (Gardner and Freeman, #2)
  • Wink Murder
  • Who is Sarah Lawson
  • Mary & Elizabeth
  • Richard Matheson's Hell House
  • Calling Mr. Lonely Hearts
  • Gangster Girl (Gangland Girls #2)