Start by marking “Wolfwalker (Wolfwalker, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wolfwalker (Wolfwalker, #1)

Wolfwalker (Wolfwalker #1)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  862 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Dion was a healer and a wolfwalker, and the unique telepathic bond that she shared with the wolf Gray Hishn sometimes seemed to amplify her sensitivity to her patients. But she never guessed how strong that bond could be, or what kind of power it could wield, until she found herself lost in the wilderness, with angry slavers at her heels and war on the horizon. Suddenly sh ...more
Published January 3rd 1995 by Del Rey (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Wolfwalker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wolfwalker

Hacen
Mar 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Actual Rating: 3.5
Mary JL
Sep 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of sf/fantasy/adventure
Recommended to Mary JL by: Found at sale
Shelves: main-sf-fantasy
This was a pleasant light fantasy. Dion is a healer and a :wolfwalker:--she shares a telepathic bond with a wolf. Dion is a well drawn character---strong, intelligent, and stubborn.

Thestory itself begins in the aftermath of a battle and goes on from there from action scene to action scene, with very little pauses in between.

I did enjoy it while reading it; but it was a very light read--the kind I will not recall in six months. Nothing really grabbed me and lifted this book out of the ordinary. B
Levi
Jun 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
There was a good premise to the book, but I got the impression that the author was inexperienced. She tried to do create a new world, but only half-formulated it, then lazily filled in the rest. I really didn't like the completely unnecessary use of foul language.

The story could also be broken up into 2 parts. The first part is exciting and you want to see what happens next, then the whole second half of the book focuses on something completely different and unrelated to the first part. It isn't
Jun 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Ugh this was pretty awful XD The narration was horribly inconsistent, contradictory, and melodramatic, and the romantic interest was a total jerk (actually all of the men were pretty pig-headed -- not sure if the author intended to create a world in which even the "good" men are sexist pigs, but that's what she delivers).

Also the main protagonist was bordering on the Mary Sue. I liked her characterization a lot, and she was consistently-written, but she was just a little too perfect, just a lit
Jeri
Aug 10, 2010 rated it liked it
I liked it, but didn't love it ... Listening to the audiobook makes me more aware of small irritations with some of the writing style. For example, I got kind of tired of the way characters were referred to by description rather than name (such as "the dark haired man spoke" or "the brown eyed woman shrugged" or whatever). It seemed ... affected. Also, the blow-by-blow descriptions of fights and other physical peril were less engaging than if it had been described more in terms of the characters ...more
S.A. Parham
Aug 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
A bookcrossing.com book. I had to force myself to put this book down so I could get to mundane things like sleep and work. The lead female character is intriguing, skilled without being absolutely perfect. The lead male character was definately my favorite, and I was glad that the author switched between their points-of-view. The book is more adventure than fantasy, and the author does not hesitate to have less-than-happy-endings for her characters. I can't wait to find the rest of the books. A ...more
Cristina
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I originally read this after the sequel (Shadow Leader), and was delighted to pick up the beginning of an amazing story! I love the idea of this telepathic connection between wolf and human, these people on an alien world with all sorts of dangerous critters (man being the worst of all as usual).

Fast-paced, intense, great characters... It's not for nothing that I re-read this (and the subsequent books) every couple of years. :)
Kerry
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Published 1990. For a initial book Tara K. Harper is very impressive. Accordingly she received a blurb from Anne McCaffrey at the time extolling her story and skills. Since that time the author has published 10 more books; 4 more in this series mentioned here. The last publishing was in 2005. Since then she seems to have drawn back from public life which is our loss.
I intend to read more of her work and wish for her return to writing.
LisaQK
Jun 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What a series! I'm only rating this one, because it started it all, and I've equally enjoyed every part of the series. Even the spin-offs of the original Wolfwalker series. I've been reading her books since a teen, and I only wish TK Harper had continued writing! They are vivid in description, and knuckle-gripping with suspense. Truly an all-around amazing series of Sci-Fi/Fantasy.
Dawn Parks
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this book as a teen and I still reread them from time to time now as an adult. These books helped spark my love for fantasy novels and also encouraged me to follow my dreams and complete a BSc in wildlife biology. I love the main characters and am always swept away when I read them. I have been waiting a moons age for her eight novel and will be sure to buy it as soon as it is released.
Tony Hisgett
Apr 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
The book opens with Dion injured and mourning her twin, this certainly got my attention, although sorting herself out did seem to drag on a bit too long.
However, my main problem with the book is that the story is disaster driven, it’s just one thing going wrong after another. It’s just unrelenting, they are attacked, captured, robbed, conned, ship wrecked, hurt and in some cases killed. I don’t mind the hero/heroine having to overcome problems, but not when this is the only thing the book has t
Darryl
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
My wife recommended that I pick up the Wolfwalker series after I had finished reading the Wheel of Time series - and maybe that was why I gave this novel 4 stars instead of 5. Tara Harper has created a vibrant character in Dion and the beginnings of a wonderful story line that plays out over the next 5 books in the series. I found that as the series progresses, I became more and more engrossed in the story.
My only minor gripe is that in this novel more than any other of the Wolfwalker series, he
Aelvana
Oct 28, 2014 rated it liked it
I'd picked this one up at the booksale and was looking forward to reading it. The action started strong and never let up, the author wasn't afraid to kill off main characters, and the wolves were very nice. On the downside, even though the main character is a woman, in general it seemed like every single girl on that world was either married off as soon as she was old enough or kidnapped by raiders to be sold as prostitutes. The story could've used a little more background on the various peoples ...more
Hilary
Bradley
Oct 19, 2010 rated it liked it
I almost kept this one. If you love Jacob from Twilight or Perrin from the Wheel of Time series, you would probably love this book a lot. A woman and her wolf make for a very long and clever tale. Plenty of action and a fair amount of grit. This one almost made the cut so it is a good solid read. =)
Tim
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really a 3.5 rating. Decent story, kept my interest. Good strong characters. I will try the next book in the series. The story didn't seem to have a driving source, a purpose. It seemed to wander rather aimlessly to some extent.
Andrea Baker
Jul 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I was introduced to this series when I was in high school and I fell in love with them. The story line is amazing and the details are so wonderful you feel like your actually there!
They were such great stories when I was a young girl that I reread them as an adult!
Debbie
Sep 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
An easy entertaining read, I enjoyed the characters, the situations were realistic. The resolution was good. Good book.
Alanna
Jan 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
couldnt put it down
Mj
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the characters. A good read.
Roseanna
Oct 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a great Sci-Fi read for the fantasy lover. I loved it in high school & still pick it back up every now and then
Heather Rohrer
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great novel with unique characters.
Ylrac
Mar 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a VERY good book. All of Tara K. Harper's books are very good.
Susan Beshears
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
All of the Wolfwalker books are an excellent fantasy sci-fi read. Wish Ms. Harper had written as many of them as McCaffrey wrote Pern series books.
Rogue-van (the Bookman)
It starts out with a roaring fire: PANIC...STRUGGLE...DANGER...! Dion, healer and telepathic wolfwalker, needed safety, fast. Only nine days out on "The Journey" to test courage and skill and she has been attacked by slavers and is being threatened by wild beasts. Where is her brother, Rhom, or her wolf companion, Gray Hishn? Help! Dazed and wounded, Dion must push herself to her limits. And this is just the beginning!

The twists and turns may not make literature, but they certainly add up to an
Stephen
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
I've had a few of the books from this series sitting around for years. I just could never sit through them. Well, I finally forced myself through the first one and it wasn't bad, but it just didn't resonate with me. It was a great adventure novel with the bond between the wolf and the healer an interesting element. If you like that genre, go for it.
Jenna
Jul 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the action in this book. Right away, the reader is swept into a battle scene where he or she is just as disoriented as the protagonist. Pros - fast-paced with a little romance. Cons - since the book was so fast-paced, some of the scenes that deserved to be slower, were a little rushed.
Alice
Jun 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Second half of the book was practically completely irrelevant to plot of first half of book. It was slightly implausible how Dion knew all this scientific terminology like virus and flu when these terms had never come up before and considering the setting. Will not be reading rest of the novels.
Ree
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great story line. Characters are very like able. Humorous.
Red
Apr 06, 2016 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Eenmaal over de helft begon ik er pas een beetje in te komen en enthousiast over te worden. Nu ben ik wel benieuwd naar het tweede deel.
  • Dark Horse (Dark Horse #1)
  • Story Teller
  • Wind from a Foreign Sky (Tielmaran Chronicles, #1)
  • Airs Beneath the Moon (Horsemistress Saga, #1)
  • Turning Point (Sholan Alliance, #1)
  • The Cutting Edge (A Handful of Men, #1)
  • The Soldier King (Dhulyn and Parno, #2)
  • That Way Lies Camelot
  • Crashcourse
  • Imperial Lady
  • Mind of the Magic (Arhel, #3)
  • Mainline
  • The Kingless Land (Band of Four, #1)
  • Luck of the Wheels (Windsingers, #4)
  • Wolf's Head, Wolf's Heart (Firekeeper Saga, #2)
  • The Sorceress and the Cygnet (Cygnet, #1)
  • Bronwyn's Bane
  • Gnosis: The Nature and History of Gnosticism

Wolfwalker (7 books)
  • Shadow Leader (Wolfwalker, #2)
  • Storm Runner (Wolfwalker, #3)
  • Wolf's Bane (Wolfwalker, #5)
  • Silver Moons, Black Steel (Wolfwalker, #6)
  • Wolf in Night (Wolfwalker, #7)
  • Ghost Wolf (Wolfwalker, #8)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Red Mars (Mars Trilogy, #1)
  • The Gods Themselves
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • The Birthday of the World and Other Stories
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Obsidian Son (The Temple Chronicles, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
“The strength to go on must come from within, not without, or it crushes instead of building up the heart.” 0 likes