Start by marking “The Jews and Their Lies” as Want to Read:
The Jews and Their Lies

The Jews and Their Lies

Martin Luther's historical rant against the Jewish people.
Published December 5th 2004 by Liberty Bell Publications (first published 1543)

To ask other readers questions about The Jews and Their Lies, please sign up.
Larry O'Mara “It seems highly doubtful,” really; rather than flapping around in gross ignorance why not try checking the quotes? Revolutionary idea I’d admit. Once…more“It seems highly doubtful,” really; rather than flapping around in gross ignorance why not try checking the quotes? Revolutionary idea I’d admit. Once you’ve obtained knowledge you’ll see that everything Luther said was true. Georgie, take two aspirins and go to bed.

Try this:
(less)

Jessaka
May 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
Some people should not be allowed to even read the bible, and he is one of them.

This is actually a review in progress. I am beginning to believe that the Jesus in the Bible was not as peace loving as claimed. How could he have sat there and condemned all of the Sadducees and the Pharisees? That would be like claioming that all people of a certain group are bad. Is he then not responsible for how Christians began to view the Jewish nation? Would this make him and Martin Luther responsible in some
Joshua Nomen-Mutatio
Dec 21, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: theology, religion
Yeah, the Reformation really wasn't much of an improvement. A painful read.

"Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding."
-Martin Luther

"Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has."
-Martin Luther

Yep, that about sums it up.
♥ Ibrahim ♥
I used to have a picture of Martin Luther in my room with pride and great admiration but when I read such hateful things he would have to say about the Jews, I lost all respect for Martin Luther and began thinking on my own. Just go to google and search for some quotes from this infamous work of anti-semitism "the Jews and their lies". This is Martin Luther and it shouldn't shock us that Nazism descended from there.

Lewis Weinstein
The words of Martin Luther, published shortly before his death in 1546 ... from childhood, Jews have been brought up with poison and hatred against our Lord ... their schools have nothing but self-praise, vanity, lies, blasphemy, disgracing God and man ... dear Christian, next to the Devil you have no more bitter, more poisonous, more vehement enemy than a real Jew ... the Jews, as foreigners, should have nothing; and what they have should be ours ... the Talmud and Rabbis write that it is no si ...more
Kopec
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
My comment was deleted for promoting this book's value to history. That pretty much tells you why it's important to read. "To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize"
Phillip Watkins
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
I was reading Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler and got to chapter 4, about 1/3 of the way thru, then took a break and read The Jews and Their Lies by Martin Luther. The transition from one book to the other was so smooth it felt like it was an extra chapter within Mein Kampf itself.
Ashtyn Bell
May 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
This is a disgusting read.
Zach Boyle
Nov 24, 2016 rated it liked it
While very hard on the Jews, I would attribute much of it to the time period. Further it does raise the interesting point of whether the Jews were God's people by their faith or by their works, which goes against the modern narrative. Interesting perspective from a Protestant church father.
Justin
Dec 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
What a giant fucker! L
Nick
Jan 23, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Most of this focuses on theological minutia. I can't tell if the Jews are really "lying" in this sense, because I don't know anything about these inane theological disputes. However, I would say that if this is an accurate representation of Lutheran theology (and based on the author, I'll make that assumption) then a believing Lutheran must have a pretty poor opinion of Jews.

There are some legitimate criticisms of the Jewish arrogance in presuming to be God's chosen ethnic group. Judaism *is* th
Eusebius Clay
Jun 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
I have nothing negative to say about the Protestant denominations of Christianity; instead, I will make a positive statement. I support semitism. I will now make a negative statement: I do not support antisemitism in any shape or form. I can, therefore, only rate this book one star.
Ben Ciraulo
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book if you want to compare and contrast ancient Judaism to modern day Zionism.
Shane
Jul 23, 2013 marked it as to-read
Never knew Martin Luther wrote an entire book for his antisemitism. That's hilarious, especially the crotchety title
James Cloyd
Luther maybe the founder of protestantism and a hero in the eyes of many Christians, but he let his true colors show in this little book. As it turns out, Luther was a hateful & ignorant bigot who did much to propagate the antisemitism that led the Holocaust. I think that might make him an even bigger dick than John Calvin, who turned in his friend Servetus in to be burned at the stake for a theological disagreement. At least Calvin put in a request for a painless death be decapitation. It w ...more
Simone
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Il giudizio ha assolutamente bisogno di una chiarificazione: le 5 stelle non si riferiscono alle tesi esposte nel libro ma al suo valore come testimonianza storia dell'antiebraismo del padre della Riforma.
Se e' anacronistico definire Lutero antisemita il libro dimostra chiaramente come l'odio teologico (buona parte del libro e' una confutazione teologica dell'ebraismo) posso alla fine raggiungere le stesse conclusioni dell'antisemitismo razzista otto-novecentesco.
Leeann Mccaig
May 09, 2015 marked it as to-read
I want to read this for historical context purposes. FYI
SpaceBear
Awful, but provides interesting perspective on the origins of anti-Semitism in Europe.
Kirsty Hughes
Aug 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: literary
It makes me sick to read reviews that AGREE with Martin Luther. It is one thing if you give this book a high star rating because you find the content interesting within its context and how it is basically used as a foundation for Nazi Germany, but to actually support what is being said is truly disgusting.

Martin Luther was a whiny little bitch boy who couldn't handle rejection.

I am shocked that I was never taught in any of the very many history courses that I have taken that Martin Luther was
Aaron Clover
Jun 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2018, christian
This is a sickening book. I knew before going in what Luther's basic points were, but reading the whole thing was a lot worse then just knowing the bullet points. It's not surprising at all that this book inspired violence against Jewish people for hundreds of years. With the rhetoric it uses, I don't see how it couldn't. Jewish people are portrayed as subhuman, evil monsters, whose every thought boils down to stealing your property, blaspheming your God, and killing your family. How could this ...more
E.
Jun 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
Among the sad ironies in this pamphlet is the fact that Luther chooses this as an occasion to mount an argument for spiritual equality, including that of women. During an age when John Knox would argue that women were not made in the image of God (at least not in comparison with men), Luther explicitly states that women are made in the image of God in exactly the same way as men are. It's possible to see Luther's larger theological concerns about the importance and veracity of the Word within th ...more
PerennialMystery
The sire of evangelical Chriatianity

For those who would wonder how hatred and xenophobia can come out of the teachings of Jesus, read this. The most important figure of the prostestant reformation says some pretty astonoshing things in here. He speaks of Jews the way radical zionist Christians or Jews might speak of radical Muslims today. As Solzenhitsyn said, "good and evil cuts through the heart of every man." I find it instructive to read this kind of hate as a cautionary tale, and recognize
Dooitze De
Aug 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
Regardless of the deplorable and shocking content, the publishers have not done justice to the full treatise. There is much lacking from the work, which are to be found in the Fortress Press edition of Luther's Works in English, and the Weimar Edition in German. Therefore, I rate the book 1-star. People shouldn't buy it, it's a waste of money.
merimnao
Oct 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Eine eher schräge Beschreibung der Juden seiner Zeit. Was motivierte denn Martin Luther in einer so harter Weise über denen zu schreiben? Ich bin überzeugt, dass es daran liegt, dass Luther nicht nur rein theologische Argumente im Schilde führte, sondern auch, sozusagen, die "soziale Rolle" der Juden damit viel zu tun hatte (Stichwort "Wucher" und "Wochenzins").
james baite
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good Lord!!!! I came to discover this book only now...!!! Reading the history touching the expulsion of the Jews from all the Nation states of Europe in medieval Europe, I was at a loss .. what could be the reason , thought I. This book says it all , it lay bare the Jew.
Gerrit G.
Probably fake.
Joseph
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
honestly one of the funniest books I’ve ever read, like I agree circumcision is gay af and Jews are gay but this book is like a satire.
Jack Captein
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Like a fire and brimstone sermon, this book is an absolute blast to read and rings very true and remains very relevant despite being over 500 years old.
Angel Melendez
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Read this for historical context purposes.
Febins Francis
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A dissection of medieval jewish lives in Europe.
Don't recommend this for jews.
Pat Schakelvoort
Nov 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Luther sure had some valid points, like about the "diaspora-attitude" and about the socalled aligance to the Caesars.

And don`t come here saying Jesus was a jew. A christian believes that Jesus was part of the trinity god, so they consider Jesus as the creator of the whole world including the jews themselves. But if Jesus had lied he probably was a jew.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Cult of the Black Virgin
  • Martin Luther: A Man Who Changed the World
  • The Forbidden Universe: The Occult Origins of Science and the Search for the Mind of God
  • Mohammed
  • Islamic Imperialism: A History
  • The Hauerwas Reader
  • Flash of the Spirit: African & Afro-American Art & Philosophy
  • The Light of Asia
  • For Self-Examination/Judge for Yourself!
  • March of the Titans: A History of the White Race
  • The Book Your Church Doesn't Want You to Read Book II: or Synagogue, Temple, Mosque
  • Reporting World War II Vol. 1: American Journalism 1938-1944
  • What Would Socrates Say?
  • The Christological Controversy
  • Natural Church Development: A Guide to Eight Essential Qualities of Healthy Churches
  • Losing Our Virtue
  • The Complete Poetical Works
  • Intellectual Morons: How Ideology Makes Smart People Fall for Stupid Ideas
Martin Luther was a German monk, theologian, university professor and church reformer whose ideas inspired the Protestant Reformation and changed the course of Western civilization.

Luther's theology challenged the authority of the papacy by holding that the Bible is the only infallible source of religious authority and that all baptized Christians under Jesus are a spiritual priesthood. According
“If God had not permitted the people of Jerusalem to be torn asunder and driven them from the land, but had let them keep it after before, no one could convince them that they are not God`s chosen people.” 7 likes
“Accordingly, it must and dare not be considered a trifling matter but a most serious one to seek counsel against this and to save our souls from the Jews, that is, from the devil and from eternal death. My advice, as I said earlier, is:

First, that their synagogues be burned down, and that all who are able toss in sulphur and pitch; it would be good if someone could also throw in some hellfire. That would demonstrate to God our serious resolve and be evidence to all the world that it was in ignorance that we tolerated such houses, in which the Jews have reviled God, our dear Creator and Father, and his Son most shamefully up till now but that we have now given them their due reward.”
0 likes