Start by marking “Romancing The Balance Sheets” as Want to Read:
Romancing The Balance Sheets

Romancing The Balance Sheets

Hardcover
Published 2010 by Network 18 Publications Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Romancing The Balance Sheets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Romancing The Balance Sheets

Start your review of Romancing The Balance Sheets
JP  Douma
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's a good textbook that simply explains what the balance sheet is all about. Clearly written and for me a great book to refresh my memory.
Abhishek
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Out of many things that highlights a yawing gap between the industry practice and the education system, probably the most important is the Financial Literacy. The mystifying nature of finance while repulses an individual, on the other hand the life that people enjoy who have mastered the skill envies most. If there is a desire within an individual, the teacher shows itself.

This book will not only change one's view about the finance, but also will bring a perspective towards life in such a way
Hrishikesh
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beginner's book that is not technically very advanced - which is exactly what I wanted. Clear, crisp writing that cuts away at jargon (which is a euphemism for BS) and sticks to core concepts. A fun read that I thoroughly enjoyed. My sole complaint is that at in a couple of places, the book indulged in (what in my opinion were unnecessary) formulae.
Goutham Jayaprakash
This book will help anyone to jog their accounting learnt in school.
Essential book for an owner of a business.
Very simply written for everyone to understand.
Trilok Reddy
Dec 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the book does the justice to the title and i am impressed with the way things have been put in this book.
Madhav
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is a terrific finance primer for a newbie. The presentation is illustrative and easy to follow, and all the exemplified concepts are simplistically understandable. It would be a good starting point for anyone who is interested in finance and wants to take up a career in the same in future.
Jeevan
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good start for any beginner in search of a good book to understand Finances
Nadeem Shaikh
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good book for those who think that finance is a tough morsel that one can swallow...nicely clearing the basic of accounting and finance terminology in a clear and lucid language...

P. Sheelwant
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Romancing The Balance Sheets is as awesome read. Before I came across this book, I had no clear concept of what the Balance Sheet was. Once I read it, I knew what it was- a picture of all the assests and liabilities of a business enterprise frozen at a certain point of time. The author has made it look so simple; at first you donot believe it to be true. But it is. Even a layman can understand it.
Prashant Gupta
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Useful for everyone

I hold a post graduate degree in business management, desire that i found the book extremely useful. All important concepts have been explained in the easiest way possible. This book should be a part of B school curriculum pre read.
Recommending for everyone , whether or not you are in business à
Abhyv Jahan
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book has been the most important text on finance for me. I run a manufacturing business and a startup. The simple writing style and Lamba's ingenuity in breaking down financial concepts into usable action points has been very helpful.

I'd recommend this to anyone running or planning to run a business of any size.
Shrinidhi
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book should be definitely read by everyone. The concepts are explained in a very simple and lucid manner. Those from the commerce background and aware of their basic concepts can skip the fist section , but do read the remaining sections for sure. The book helps to put the theories into practice.
Shyam Sundar R
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good book to understand the basics of financial statements

Not all topics are covered but Recommended for beginners in the field of investing. Easy to understand language with good set of examples.
Aditya Nema
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It is a great read. It tells you why finance is such an important field and it doesn't require a professional course to understand it. The book very well explains the fundamentals in the most simple manner. The work of the author should be really appreciated.
Chetan
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Intricacies of finance explained in layman's language. Its a must read for all businessman. In fact it should be made a textbook for all the entrepreneur training programmes.
Gautam Subramanian
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Make no mistake, this book could be of immense value even to people with accounting and finance background.
Gaurang Shah
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Describes concepts of balance sheet for a company very well. Whether for a shop or for a manafcturing company.
Murugan Manoj
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Highway to financial literacy.
Praful Lakhe
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great starting point

Excellent introductory material for beginners or people looking to refresh long lost concepts. Lucid writing style and not intidamting at all..
Gaurav Vimal
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really love this book, this is very lil book yet contain lots of information what we need to know to run business and understand finance.i am learning investing and it been so usefull for me.
Monalisa Das
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For a newbie, who wants to start a business it's a great book to get a great idea.
Sandhya
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Everyone who thinks numbers are not their cup of tea should read this.
rakesh singh
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book, now financial literate 🙂

Simply explained and beautifully written..
Most easy way to learn how to read a balance sheet. Looking forward more the author
Chetan Samdadiya
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book is excellent for a non commerce students to understand balance sheet and it's implications.
Ashutosh
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
An important read, especially if you are a business owner and not from a finance background.
Nishant Grover
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very good book for people who want to know basis of balance sheets ...easy and lucid..but it is for starters with business prospective.
Narayan Sanjeev
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Must read for learning finance in a quick and easily digestible manner
Manoj Sharma
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
good book to understand balance sheet
Sahil
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a quick read (about 2.5 - 3 hours) that takes you through a lot of the basics of financial analysis. While I am not a finance professional, I have spent a considerable amount of time looking at other company's balance sheets and P&L statements. The understanding I had gained over time was through just practice by looking at balance sheets and getting an idea of what's going on. This book helped put a little bit of structure to my experential and intuitive knowledge and there were a ...more
Nirmit Shah
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Perhaps, the best book for an introduction to Reading Account Statements, Financial Management, and understanding important financial concepts. If you are someone who's tried to make sense of terms like Balance Sheets, Ratios, Capital, EBIT, and so on but have failed, this book is what you need.

The best and the most significant aspect of this book is the way it approaches these concepts. Everything begins with a WHY and then the author logically explains the WHAT. The book assumes that you are
« previous 1 3 next »

• One Up On Wall Street: How to Use What You Already Know to Make Money in the Market
  • How to Avoid Loss and Earn Consistently in the Stock Market: An Easy-To-Understand and Practical Guide for Every Investor
  • Bulls, Bears and Other Beasts
  • The Compound Effect: Jumpstart Your Income, Your Life, Your Success
  • Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits and Other Writings
  • Early Indians: The Story of Our Ancestors and Where We Came From
  • What You Do Is Who You Are: How to Create Your Business Culture
  • Raavan: Enemy of Aryavarta (Ram Chandra #3)
  • Rich Dad's Guide to Investing: What the Rich Invest in That the Poor and Middle Class Do Not!
  • Value Investing And Behavioral Finance: Insights Into Indian Stock Market Realities
  • The Intelligent Investor
  • Wings of Fire: An Autobiography
  • Big Billion Startup: The Untold Flipkart Story

News & Interviews

“Although while speaking and writing many of us use the words expense and expenditure interchangeably, in accounting they have separate meanings. Expenditure refers to spending, or the outflow of money. We have seen that when money is spent, we either incur an expense or we create an asset.
This makes expenditure broader in scope than expense.
Expenditure encompasses both expenses and assets.
If you thought I had made a loss you probably calculated Profit as Income minus Expenditure instead of Income minus Expense!”
0 likes
“In order to arrive at profit we must first split Expenditure into the two components of Asset and Expense, and only then apply our formula.” 0 likes