Start by marking “The Third Industrial Revolution: How Lateral Power Is Transforming Energy, the Economy, and the World” as Want to Read:

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  1,001 Ratings  ·  109 Reviews
The Industrial Revolution, powered by oil and other fossil fuels, is spiraling into a dangerous endgame. The price of gas and food are climbing, unemployment remains high, the housing market has tanked, consumer and government debt is soaring, and the recovery is slowing. Facing the prospect of a second collapse of the global economy, humanity is desperate for a sustainabl ...more
Published September 27th 2011 by Palgrave MacMillan

To ask other readers questions about The Third Industrial Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Third Industrial Revolution

Matt
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Rifkin's primary thesis is that the previous industrial revolutions occurred when new energy and information technology emerged simultaneously. The 3rd revolution, whose early stages we're in the midst of, is occurring due to the internet and renewable energy, which is lateral, democratic, collaborative, and distributed in nature. The 5 pillars of this revolution are shifting to (1) renewable energy, (2) buildings that act as micro power plants, (3) hydrogen and other energy storage technologies ...more
أحمد فريد
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
يمثل الكتاب رؤية واقعية عقلانية للنظام العالمي القادم ، القائم على توليد الطاقة المُتجددة (الطاقة الشمسية-طاقة الرياح-الطاقة الحرارية من الأرض-الطاقة الكهرومائية-توليد الطاق
من الفضلات) من البيوت ومشاركة فائضها عبر شبكة ذكية عالمية ، مما يساهم في إعادة رسم المجتمعات والحضارات واقتصاداتها بصورة أكثر تعاونية وتشاركية بالتأثير على نظم التعليم الواعي بالبيئة والمحيط الحيوي. كما يساهم في إعادة صياغة علاقات البشر ببعضهم وبالطبيعة لتصبح أكثر تراحمية. واستبدال الوعي البشري القائم على المنفعة الشخصية التي
Lulu
Oct 03, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Interesting premise, but good LORD what a boring book. All about the meetings the author had with European heads of state to get funding for new energy tech. Listen to an interview with Rifkin, and skip the book.
Kamil Salamah
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A book of such magnitude; covering the human condition from all aspects to paint the vision of the coming future: the next leap in mankind's evolution bringing it closer to its inherent design, long lost in the hustle of the myths of materialism.

The author beautifully puts together what constitutes the essential 5 pillars to leapfrog to the already evolving 3rd phase of our evolution; the third industrial revolution. This is one giant leap bringing with it more freedoms long pursued. The 2nd in
Jani-Petri
Jul 23, 2013 rated it did not like it
Terrible. This book is riddled with factual errors, misleading statements and incoherent thinking. The structure is as follows: buzzword, blaah blaah blaah, name dropping/rubbing shoulders with important people, blaah blaah, factual mistake, more name dropping, blaah blaah, new buzz word. Rifkin writes a lot of energy production and internet, but has no particular training on either as far as I know. Apparently he sees himself as an "ideas guy" and then actual expertise doesn't somehow matter. O ...more
Greg Linster
Jul 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: partially-read
I had to put this one down after reading 50 pages. I was expecting the book to continue to build on the ideas set forth in his book The End of Work, but I was disappointed. It seems that Rifkin has totally abandoned the thesis he set forth in The End of Work. Instead, he has shifted his focus to the vogue issue of climate change and green energy.
Liz S
Oct 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Distributed generation is a fine idea. Almost entirely misses the concept of how big data servers work with his analogy to the internet, uses a lot of poorly-informed math to make his point, and name drops his meetings with EU officials ad nauseaum. The material would have been better suited for pamphlet, but probably was not worthy of a book.
Y Chen
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Self praise all over but still inspirational enough to change one's lifepath
Timothy
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
I picked the book up because I caught the speech he gave on the same topic. The speech was inspiring, the book is disappointingly much less so.

It felt long, tedious and was simply filled with name dropping. I was waiting for him to describe his vision for the Third Industrial Revolution (TIR) in greater detail, but that never happened. The closest it got to that was when he alluded to the fact that the TIR will enable this or the TIR will change that without saying how.

Watch the Vice speech fo
Samuel Lubell
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
Other people in the club liked it more than I did. I liked the first third (but even in that part I thought he could have explained the Third Industrial Revolution more. The middle seemed too much boasting about himself and who he met and who he convinced to adopt the TIR. The last section seemed to be random ideas with little to no connection to the TIR. Yes, Green Schools is a good idea but not sure it's really *industrial.*
Deb
Apr 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Highly aspiration book with some intriguing ideas -- and clear warnings -- about our ecological, economical and social predicament(s).

Some of this stuff clicks for me, and some of the things I was studying and thinking about several years ago.

I need to talk to others about some ideas that I find crucial and imperative and some that I find flawed. Takers?

Dan
Jan 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Had some salient points. However, he was very grandiose in his thoughts on how the new energy market would change the world, and he didn't offer many details as to the current difficulties. Worth the read for someone new to the subject.
Hazem
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
un livre très instructif sur la troisième révolution industrielle. Je le recommande fortement.
Ivan
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
Good topics but the book repeats, it repeats, it repeats, it repeats itself a lot. That and the book repeats itself. And just in case, yeah the book repeats itself. It also repeats itself.
Amber Hyun Jung Kim
Apr 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Pop economics. Nuff said. Clearly written but the ideas are way too grandiose. Also, i still find myself skeptical of anyone whose job title is "social thinker."
Craig Becker
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book, I will be reading more of his books and watching more of his video's. Great insight into how we can transform society. Rather than complaining about how things are, he lays out a clear and comprehensive plan about how to move forward. His plan is to help us move to a distributive and collaborative society.

He suggests, and I agree, this can be the next evolutionary economic model. He builds this distributive and collaborative world on 5 Pillars. 1. A Shift to Renewable Energy; 2.
Kuang Ting
Mar 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Mr. Rifkin is an influential futurist. He has the ability to meet national leaders worldwide. He is a consultant in EU bureaucrats as well. Therefore, EU becomes a good paradigm for the demonstration of his ideas. Honestly, I expect highly on this book, but it turns out a bit disappointing. The whole book is better described as marketing booklet, not an inspiring title. Indeed, he shows us great ideas, but the structure is just not coherent. He seems to write whatever occurred to him.

He talks a
Paula
Mar 14, 2018 rated it liked it
I respect what Rifkin has done in persuading world leaders to begin to work toward a renewable future. He has helped several government entities (including the EU) to make plans toward implementing an increase in renewable energy sources, creating continent wide smart grids, transitioning transportation to plug-in or fuel cell technologies, and using hydrogen as a source of power storage. These are praiseworthy accomplishments. However, this book suffers from too much philosophical meandering an ...more
Mavromou
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Este libro hace una descripción completa sobre el paradigma energético-comunicativo del siglo XXI, las energías renovables generadas de manera distribuida e interconectadas a través de redes inteligentes.

Como siempre en cada uno de sus libros trae conceptos de los otros que el autor ha escrito lo que permite encontrarle el sentido a su obra que refleja una visión interesantes y profética sobre como será el mundo en unos pocos años más.

Este es el cuarto libro del autor que leo y lo hago mas allá
Wilder Acuña
Jan 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Well, I was hoping more, and I just finished the book and I feel that I didn't like it so much. At the begining of the book, it appeared to be excellent but later the author started to talk about meetings with important people and I felt as he was bragging about the influential people he knows. Also, at the end he talks about the education and the schools and other things that don't seem to have a strong relation with the rest of the book or maybe the transitions between the last chapters was so ...more
Ray
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Author outlines a future that is quickly coming true where energy generation will be distributed and the people will gain power (literally and figuratively). This will reduce reliance on large fossil fuel companies and increase independence and possibly redistribute wealth. People will move closer together (i.e. cities) and work more as an efficient community. Buildings will be more energy-efficient. The internet has helped to promoted this. He uses lots of buzz words. The book more outlines a f ...more
Maria
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Consumers will have little difficulty adapting to the new age of better products, swiftly delivered. Governments, however, may find it harder. Their instinct is to protect industries and companies that already exist, not the upstarts that would destroy them. As the revolution rages, governments should stick to the basics: better schools for a skilled workforce, clear rules and a level playing field for enterprises of all kinds.
Slava
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: future
Толковая книга, за исключением первых глав, где в подробностях описываются приключения автора в правительствах европейских государств. Для себя извлек две основные вещи - энтропия (много повседневных дел могут приводить практически только с переводу энергии из структурированной формы в рассеянную и, по сути, бесполезной ее потери) и nature-deficit disorder (расстройство психики, в первую очередь, детей, вызванное потерей связи с живой природой)
Mehrsa
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Oh man is this book boring! Just watch the TED Talk. Summary: we need to create a grid system like the internet that can help us wean off of oil and use solar/electric energy. Each chapter talks about how he talked to big shots in europe to do it and how he helped certain american cities do it, etc. Seriously, skip this book, but definitely let's get this guy to help us all spark the third industrial revolution.
Joao Vargas
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really good book that clearly explains what's the future of the planet if we keep on using hard energy and provides alternative ways based on green energy and IT. Well written, it never gets bored and it's understandable without specialized knowledge on the topic. Should be a mandatory reading if we want to avoid the destruction of planet Earth.
Leigh
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Finally gave up on this book. Some really interesting ideas in here but I found it a hard slog through endless name dropping and big noting about which mid level beaurocrat he spoke to at such and such summit.

I don't know these people or their institutions for the most part. I would love a condensed version without the play by play characters.
Jonas Brock
Jul 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Incredibly interesting and complex book that will take time and concentration to finish. Rifkin pinpoints the exact steps that we need to not only combat climate change, but also make sure that we do so by creating functioning economic systems as we go.
Ségolène Rolin
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My new bible about our futur ! If you want everything about our futur to make sense read it and read it !
Noah Tritz
Jun 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
Outdated for 2018.
Jeff
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
The future looks bright again.
  • Moyers on Democracy
  • The Darwin Economy: Liberty, Competition, and the Common Good
  • Mismeasuring Our Lives: Why GDP Doesn't Add Up
  • The New Geography of Jobs
  • The Great Divergence
  • Life Inc.: How the World Became a Corporation and How to Take it Back
  • Age of Greed: The Triumph of Finance and the Decline of America, 1970 to the Present
  • The Fine Print: How Big Companies Use "Plain English" to Rob You Blind
  • The New New Deal: The Hidden Story of Change in the Obama Era
  • Megatrends: Ten New Directions Transforming Our Lives
  • Reason: Why Liberals Will Win the Battle for America
  • The Lights in the Tunnel: Automation, Accelerating Technology and the Economy of the Future
  • Plenitude: The New Economics of True Wealth
  • Soros on Soros: Staying Ahead of the Curve
  • Screwed: The Undeclared War Against the Middle Class - And What We Can Do about It
  • Here's the Deal
  • Andy Grove: The Life and Times of an American
  • Wisdom: 50 Unique and Original Portraits
American economic and social theorist, writer, public speaker, political advisor, and activist.
“We have come to discover what we suspect is a new political mindset emerging among a younger generation of political leaders socialized on Internet communications. Their politics are less about right versus left and more about centralized and authoritarian versus distributed and collaborative.” 5 likes
“The five pillars of the Third Industrial Revolution are (1) shifting to renewable energy; (2) transforming the building stock of every continent into micro–power plants to collect renewable energies on site; (3) deploying hydrogen and other storage technologies in every building and throughout the infrastructure to store intermittent energies; (4) using Internet technology to transform the power grid of every continent into an energy-sharing intergrid that acts just like the Internet (when millions of buildings are generating a small amount of energy locally, on site, they can sell surplus back to the grid and share electricity with their continental neighbors); and (5) transitioning the transport fleet to electric plug-in and fuel cell vehicles that can buy and sell electricity on a smart, continental, interactive power grid.” 3 likes