Start by marking “Waiting in the Wings” as Want to Read:
Waiting in the Wings

Waiting in the Wings

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  2,665 Ratings  ·  187 Reviews
If you don’t get lost, there’s a chance you may never be found. Jenna McGovern has spent her whole life training for the stage. She’s taken dance classes, voice lessons, and even earned her performance degree from one of the most prestigious musical theater programs in the nation. At graduation, she’s stunned when a chance audition lands her a prime supporting role in the ...more
Published September 20th 2011 by Bold Strokes Books (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Waiting in the Wings, please sign up.
Zayne Simard-Moore Um well since you asked so nice (i'm a guy by the way), their is if you haven't read it yet The Gravity Between Us (which I just finished two hours…moreUm well since you asked so nice (i'm a guy by the way), their is if you haven't read it yet The Gravity Between Us (which I just finished two hours ago), it's similar in that it has one girl who is a young actress who, without giving too much away, slowly falls for her lifelong friend Payton, who also just so happens to be in love with her, but doesn't know how to tell her or where. It's a pretty good story and I thought it hit close to home, I might not be gay, but I know how it feels to be a young kid and not really know who you are yet. It's about finding who you really are in a crazy world that is unforgiving.(less)
Ej Badkitty I downloaded amazon Kindle typed in search and went to read the free trial then bought it to read on. I highly recommend :)

Diane Wallace
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved! an emotional ride that took an enjoyable turn to an eventually loving ending..its also a well written story..highly recommended to everyone
Luce
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-reading while I wait to read First Position.

Up from 3 stars when I first read this book. When comparing with other Brayden books it is 3 stars when compared to other books I've rated it is 4 stars.

It lagged for me in the middle, but it might of been because I could only read it in small snippets of time. The POV is Jenna, because of that I didn't get the connection I wanted from Adrienne. I loved Adrienne. It seemed to take forever for Jenna to get a clue. But when success is so close at ha
Fia
Sep 13, 2016 rated it liked it
I think this was the first Brayden's book, wasn't it? And the one I did not enjoy that much.

The first half was kindly putting it...boring. I skipped a lot of parts and I didn't like the fact that they got together almost immediately. So I expected some drama... but there was a time jump. And I liked that part much better. Otherwise I would give it only 2 stars, but the second part of the book was okay. I didn't skip as much as before.

Brayden got much better in her following books and she remai
Les Read
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Out of the les-fic novels that I’ve read, these story-lines seem to be pretty common:

-Teacher + Student
-Lonely and married “heterosexual” female falls in love with her cool new lesbian friend
-Hollywood A-List Actress x 2

Who hasn’t fallen in love with a teacher? Or a straight woman? (or two, or three… hundred) And raise your hand if you didn’t trip all over yourself when you found out that Portia de Rossi is gay.

Yeah, I see no hands raised.

This story though, is less Hollywood than it is New York
Stephanie
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
needed a Brayden fix. This is one of my faves! I loved it just as much!
Amanda Brown
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book I have read by this author and I am pretty sure I read them in the wrong order. I just picked whichever one sounded more interesting to read first. But still, they are standalones and it isn't a huge deal which order they are read. They are both freaaaaaking awesome.

This book is a romance (F/F) but only written in one perspective (Jenna).

Honestly though, I feel more connected with these characters and this type of story than I do with some of the M/F romances I read. The
Starsandsun
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I love the plot, everything is in perfect timing.
You'll never go wrong with this book.

A must read for me.

Mar 26 2017

Listening to one of my favorites ever is kinda of exciting.
I love the book even more! I wish there's a sequel. I would have love to read more from them especially after they move in together. I was hoping they got married sometime after but I guess Brooklyn and Jess beat them to it. I was happy to have a preview of them again on First Position.
Still no major update on them. :(

6sta
D. Leigh
Sep 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If the bio hadn't said "first book," I would have never guessed this was a debut novel. It is witty, agonizing, sweet, believable and has perfect pacing and dialog that sings. Jenna is just starting out in show biz, while Adrienne is an battered veteran who has managed to still maintain a sweetness that makes her character incredibly appealing. I absolutely loved this book. I finished it at 2:30 a.m. and woke up wanting to re-read my favorite scenes. I'll definitely snatch up this writer's next ...more
Carleen
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There’s something about me that most people don’t know. It’s not a deep, dark secret, or anything…but, there’s just something that most people wouldn’t exactly expect from me.

I have a theatre background. Yes, I do. I even have an MA degree in Theatre. Acting, directing, lighting design, set design, stagecraft…I’ve done a little bit of everything (with varying levels of expertise). I’m actually a pretty good actor, but I don’t sing nor do I dance. (Amazingly, however, I’ve been in a few musicals.
Valerie Anne
Jan 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Okay here's the thing. In the context of LGBT fiction novels I've read so far in my life, this would get a 4.5 out of 5. In the context of all books ever and how much I have enjoyed them, it's about a 3 out of 5.

And here's why:

(view spoiler)
Frank Van Meer
Sep 02, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
There's a risk in reading an author's first novel after you've read the rest of her work. On the one hand, it's great to see how someone started and progressed through her work. On the other hand, there's a chance it fails to meet the expectations you have, which are based on the knowledge of the former.

To get to the point: this book is so very formulaic in the lesbian actresses genre, it's almost painfull. And that's coming from someone who, not long ago, gushed over the four books he read in t
MJS
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I’m not sure why it’s taken me so long to get to this one, I think it’s because I knew it was a past/present book and I’m not a huge fan of those.

This one is different in that it’s not told in flashbacks, rather in two separate time periods. Jenna and Adrienne first meet doing a play together, are instantly attracted to each other and begin a relationship that’s then sidelined by injury, and as you would expect in show business, distance. Jenna is young and not yet established, and when given a
T.B. Markinson
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
A delightful debut novel.
Vic
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lesfic, favorites
This book was an absolute pleasure to read. The kind of book that reminds me why I love reading romance books in this genre. Pure escapism and enjoyment.

The main character Jenna was refreshing, likeable yet flawed, interesting and alluring. As was the character of Adrienne (who was even more alluring). I like to read about women with lives unlike my own, in situations I can sympathise with and understand even if I'd never find myself in similar circumstances. I like to read about smart, attracti
T
Nov 04, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a very well written book, that given the right audience, is most likely a sure hit. I recommend it if you are interested in theater or actresses or Access Hollywood reality tv drama. (i know several people that would love this book!) However, i'm not one of those people, so this book was just 'OK' for me. So the rating i'm giving it, is merely a measurement of my enjoyment of the book, and not of it's quality.

Don't get me wrong, you don't have to be hugely into the theater theme to enjo
Choko
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think it was a perfect installment for a first novel!!! I love the theater and know how competitive it is, so I would say the one somewhat negative character was way-under representing the cattiness that goes on behind the scenes, but I think Melissa Brayden only sees the good in people and gives the imperfect ones a chance to redeem themselves :-) Very romantic and pleasant, as always!
Shelley
Apr 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, chicklitromance, wlw
Jenna falls in love with the star of her touring musical, but puts her career before their relationship. Four years later, can they try again? The pace of this was plodding, with a lot of unnecessary descriptions and tags and many things spelled out. Jenna was kind of a boring character, but I liked Adrienne. Wasn't totally keen on the ending; a little conversation between the two of them about their job prospects and how to balance them would have been a better way to show their growth, I think ...more
Sandy
Dec 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Yes, I actually debated whether to give this 4 or 5 stars but eventually decided on 4 because it's a romance novel not War & Peace. :) Of the lesbian romance novels I've read, this is by far the best written. There's an actual plot, the writing is good and the steamy scenes are not gratuitous and seem to flow with the story (although they are steamy). I may have to adjust the rest of my lesbian romance ratings now.
Katie
I just didn't buy the conflict!!! (view spoiler)

And I guess the romance wasn't quite enough for me either. I needed more development.
Ozlem
Jan 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
One of the best of its genre.
Julia
This is one of those "I wish I could give it more than 5 stars" books. The kind I wanted to read slowly so that it would last longer, if only I could bring myself to stop reading all at once. I don't even know where to start because I honestly enjoyed everything about this story so damn much.

Starting off on the right foot, I was absolutely in love with the main character from the very beginning. Jenna was a breath of fresh air — she was sweet, funny, hardworking, ambitious, witty, determined, an
Shannon
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-harder-2017
Read Harder 2017: LGBTQ romance novel

A few pages into this book, I wasn't sure whether I would finish it. The writing wasn't terrible but it wasn't great. Lots of telling instead of showing going on and the plot felt rushed. But as I kept going, I remembered that this was a romance book - and my experience of this book was pretty consistent with any romance novel.

Ultimately I finished the book in a night while my daughter was at a concert with a friend. For a novel in this genre, it was pretty
Serena
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I can truly say that I enjoyed this book. The way how it was written really appealed to me. The characters spoke to me and the world in which they lived, I found very interesting. It was easy to empathize with the feelings of the characters. At the end of the book, my first thought was "this book would be a great movie." I've been thinking about it for days about which actresses would have to play the roles of Jenna and Adrienne. It was great for me as a reader to go into the whole trip that Jen ...more
Megzz
God, one of my all time favorite! Melissa Brayden is such a good writer. Couldn't put the book down. The characters feel real, the chemistry is unbelievable. Perfect amount of angst, and great storyline (especially if you love broadway shows), keeping the readers wanting more. It's one of those few books that make you feel so much, so that when I finished it, I smiled like an idiot, closed my eyes and breathed out a long sigh of bittersweet satisfaction, thinking "Wow. Wow. That was intense. Tha ...more
Natsu
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
First Melissa Brayden read.

I just want to say that, aside from the story, I totally love the cover too..

Jen and Age had 2 major things in common: Passion for their craft and attraction to the each other.

It's a story of 2 hearts coming together through their mutual passion for their craft. However, due to unforeseen events the same passion tore them apart.
Loretta
Jan 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks-owned, 2017
Enjoyed immersing myself in this sweet little romance between two ladies that took place in the musical world. Brain candy because there's NOTHING going wrong in the world. NOT A THING. LA LA LA I CANT HEAR YOU.
Thais Cristina
Jun 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtqia, romance
I couldn't sleep until I finished this book. Cutesty lesbian romance does that to me.
Kinda predictable story but well written and light/fast to read. It reminded me of Faberry fanfics and that's exactly what I was in the mood for.
Asma
Mar 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt
Ummm just OKAY!
Heatherblakely
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq
Definitely needed something soft and fluffy and light after the last book I read, and this hit the mark perfectly. I like Brayden's writing and characters; she's one of my favorite f/f romance writers. I really just needed something that wasn't too deep (which, to be completely honest, I know means I probably have to read something by and about white people) and something I knew would end happily without anyone dying. I have another f/f romance book to read next because right now I kind of just ...more
Jeimy
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was just what I needed at the moment: A formulaic lesbian romance about timing and wasted opportunities.
  • Jericho
  • After Mrs Hamilton
  • No Strings
  • Love by the Numbers
  • Stars Collide
Melissa Brayden is the multi-award winning author of twelve lesbian romance novels and is hard at work on more. She is a wine enthusiast, a fan of all donuts, and is probably staring off into space as you're reading this.
More about Melissa Brayden

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • I Heart Paris
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Two By Two
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be