Start by marking “Lord Beaverbrook” as Want to Read:
Lord Beaverbrook

Lord Beaverbrook

(Extraordinary Canadians)

Press baron, entrepreneur, art collector, and wartime minister in Churchill's cabinet, Max Aitken was a colonial Canadian extraordinaire. Rising from a hardscrabble childhood in New Brunswick, he became a millionaire at age 25, earned the title of Lord Beaverbrook at 38, and by age 40 was the most influential newspaperman in the world. Fiercely loyal to the British Empire, ...more
Published December 14th 2011 by Penguin Global (first published March 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Lord Beaverbrook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lord Beaverbrook

Troy Parfitt
Jan 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
David Adams Richards

The other night, I got an email from the local business development agency advising me that an announcement for my book launch was now listed in a municipal events-calendar. I clicked the link to see what it looked like and noticed that, in 38 minutes, there was a scheduled reading for Canadian author David Adams Richards at the public library. I jumped in the shower, jumped in my car, and broke the speed-limit.

David Adams Richards is easily the most famous writer to ever eme
Michael
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It was a pleasure learning about a famous New Brunswicker, where I am from, Lord Beaverbrook. When I started reading this I thought I new a little bit about the man but found out that I new very little. Every Canadian should read this series excited to read another one.
Carolyn Harris
Lord Beaverbrook is the only Canadian to be mentioned in Season 2 of The Crown on Netflix (in a scene where the former King Edward VIII lists his friends in Britain) and author David Adams Richards observes that he was one of the most important and influential Canadians in 20th century global affairs. This short biography provides an interesting and enthusiastic overview of his life, achievements and shortcomings. The author's opinions, however, sometimes overwhelm the narrative. Both Richards a ...more
Daniel Kukwa
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Reading this little biography, some might believe that David Adams Richards is a Beaverbrook apologist...but he's playing a more subtle game. In this extremely concise read, he never once ignores Beaverbrook's mistakes -- they are all there, side-by-side with his triumphs. Instead, Richards is challenging readers to come to their own conclusions; the only agenda he is determined to push is that Max Aitken, Lord Beaverbrook, deserves more coverage as a part of Canadian history than he currently r ...more
Sarah-Jane
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable quick read.
Kristine Morris
Aug 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: canadian
Do you know who Lord Beaverbrook is? Have you ever heard of Max Aitken? Perhaps if you are from east you do? What a fascinating person. I came across him in the novel Angel Walk and wanted to understand more why he was in that novel - makes much more sense now! This is the first book in the Extraordinary Canadian Series that I've read. It is a little light, especially in explaining what must have been some pretty complex politicking, but I also suspect the author had limitations on how long of a ...more
Jeffrey  Sylvester
Mar 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
I liked this one. Out of the series, he is the only figure a little bad yet a little good. It's interesting he was included but interesting that his contribution to Canada was an entreprenurial one in the sense of making things happen in the critical moment. I particularly liked the boyhood turned man analogy, and the stages of growth in his character. Pretty good book.
Wendy MacKnight
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
Lord Beaverbrook was a player. A New Brunswicker like me, he was the original outsider, and yet he made himself indispensable to the British Government and especially Churchill. adams weaves a fascinating biography - one Miramichi boy to another - and takes us along on a great historical and sociological ride.
Dan Ofer
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Interesting and short read. It was fun. However, it is full of both speculation and hyperbole, which gives the book a mysterious style and adds to the reading pleasure.
Beth Frawley
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it

Always love a good book about home.
Melany Franklin
Nov 28, 2018
AJ
rated it did not like it
May 15, 2010
Elizabeth
Dec 19, 2016
Ward
Feb 08, 2019
David Adams Richards (born 17 October 1950) is a Canadian novelist, essayist, screenwriter and poet.

Born in Newcastle, New Brunswick, Richards left St. Thomas University in Fredericton, New Brunswick, one course shy of completing a B.A. Richards has been a writer-in-residence at various universities and colleges across Canada, including the University of New Brunswick.

Richards has received numerou

Extraordinary Canadians (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Louis Riel and Gabriel Dumont
  • Tommy Douglas
  • Extraordinary Canadians: L.M. Montgomery
  • René Lévesque
  • Maurice Richard
  • Mordecai Richler
  • Stephen Leacock
  • Marshall McLuhan: You Know Nothing of My Work!
  • Louis-Hippolyte Lafontaine and Robert Baldwin