Start by marking “Fated” as Want to Read:

Torn apart by History
Bound for Eternity

A historical paranormal romance with sweeping consequences, “Fated” is sure to thrill.

Set in ancient Rome, you will find yourself immersed in the culture, drawn to the intrigue and yearning for the romance.
Published (first published May 13th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Fated, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fated

Start your review of Fated
Tracy Riva
By Carolyn McCray
Copyright 2010 by Carolyn McCray
An Off Our Meds Project, published by arrangement with the author
ASIN B0050VRK20 $2.99

Fated by Carolyn McCray was a wonderful excursion into the “what if” realms of history. I loved it. It was interesting, it was passionate and it painted a character from history – a much maligned character I must add – in a light that made him human, even if from the story’s point of view he was so much more.

I loved the character of Brutus as written by
Rania Melhem
Jul 26, 2012 rated it did not like it
This has got to be the most ridiculous book I have ever read. Mostly for the plethora of basic historical mistakes that could have been checked with a 5 minutes google search.
Ms McCray has the citizens of Republican Rome (BCE) eating tomatoes and potatoes and knowing about chocolate (these items didn't arrive in Europe until the late 16th century) and pasta (it didn't arrive in Italy until Marco Polo returned from China in the late 13th century).
Also, Ms. McCray obviously has no idea about the
Mari Stroud
Sep 08, 2011 rated it liked it
It's Rome in the year 42 CE. Marcus Brutus is a Roman senator. (Yes, he's that Marcus Brutus.) Syrah is a tribeswoman from the area now known as Scotland, taken as a prisoner of war and sold as a slave. The two of them meet, sparks fly, and they are soon drawn into the political intrigue surrounding Julius Caesar's assassination and the realization that they are fated lovers destined to be reincarnated again and again at critical moments throughout history. It's quick and engaging, with a nice ...more
Jeanie
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
We went to Italy last year and although I'm only a few chapters into the book, the author's descriptions are beautiful. I love seeing through the readers eye the historical descriptions of Palentine hill and the Forum overlaid with my memories of the modern day ruins.
This story, which takes place in 44 BC, is a drama about two people fated for each other. Syra, a warrior from the north who was captured during the revolts of Spain and brought to Rome to be sold in the slave auctions and
Lea
Jan 07, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
I have no idea how this ended up on my book list. Perhaps someone thought it was a historical novel I would like, but so far it's a cheap romance novel that insults the intelligence of its historical figures. I can only hope it gets better. On top of an unbelievable story line and characters, the book is poorly edited. Thankfully in the later pages, the author has gotten away from the horrible metaphors. Again, a good editor would have gotten rid of them in the first draft. I'll finish it ...more
Sophia
A reincarnation story set against the backdrop of Ancient Rome and the story of Julius Caesar, Mar Antony, Cleopatra, and Brutus. How could I resist?

Fated caught my attention right away with the the historical backdrop, characters, and situation. It is a dual narration between Scottish warrioress and now Roman slave, Syra and Brutus, Roman Senator whose loyalty to Rome and to his friend are tugging him in two different directions by treacherous forces.

I loved the idea of taking a reviled
Shelley
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. It was a sweet story with a different perspective of events in Rome during the time of Julius Caesar.
Myvampfiction
May 31, 2011 rated it liked it
review by SusanAshlea

*Warning: possible spoilers ahead.*

Torn apart by History, Bound for Eternity

Fated combines three of my favorite things: history, romance and paranormal, and it does so quite well.

This is the story of Syra, a woman taken captive and sold as a slave in the Roman Empire. She is bought by Marcus Brutus, a wealthy Senator in Rome. We all know the story of Brutus…or at least we thought we did. Fated gives us a very different version of events that will have you rooting for Brutus
Kit McIlvaine
Apr 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Carolyn McCray's Fated is a historical paranormal romance with the detailed muchness that has earned her the moniker of "The Next Dan Brown." Fated has engaging characters and pulls you through its pages with a secret that spans centuries.

Synopsis:

Fated takes place in Julius Caesar's Roman Empire, when warrior Syra is transported to Rome to be sold as a slave, By chance, she is bought for the house of Brutus, whom she loathes as a Roman, but is drawn to against her better judgement. She brings
Lynne weir
I don't quite know what to say about this book. I mean it was good and the plot was interesting and the ending was rather unique. I'm trying very hard to think of a way to talk about this without providing spoilers so I shall keep it basic and not go into detail. Okay I liked the beginning of the book, hearing all about Rome and the slave trade back then and all of that was super interesting and I loved it. I found though that the book did drag quite a bit. I also didn't really feel the ...more
Lissette
Jun 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
When I first opened this book and started reading, I thought the story would center around Caesar and his reign. Man, was I proved wrong! I'm very glad that I was, too.

Seeing Brutus portrayed not only as just a man, full of flaws, capable of loving no matter the cost, but also as one acting on what he thought was right made him more sympathetic. Carolyn molded history in a way that left the reader glued to every page, eager to know more. We were given glimpses of Caesar's weakness, Marc
Elena Gray
May 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
When betrayal lurks around every corner, can a love as old as time survive?

There is more than one war being waged inside the gates of Rome.

Julius Ceasar wants to be King, but those closest to him will do whatever it takes to stop him. Syra is captured as a slave and taken to the very city she has sworn to destroy. She is plagued by dreams that put her in another place and time. Brutus is a Senator loyal to Caesar, but also loyal to the people. He must choose a side or all that he holds dear
Christie
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was not certain about this book in the beginning. I was afraid this was going to be the first book of Ms. McCray's I didn't like. THEN it all changed very quickly!

I didn't understand the connection till the awakening. I was so wrapped up in trying to figure out how they were connected. I wanted them to figure it out quick and live a long life together. But knowing my history, I knew it wasn't going to happen.

This is fiction folks. It doesn't need to be so tightly wound with historical facts.
Debbie
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is an interesting take on the back story of Brutus--murderer of Julius Caeser. I've read the Shakespeare version of the tale, but this author goes in a completely different direction! you find ourself completely sympathetic to Brutus' situation and his actions. I found it very intriguing and liked the character development. There is a romance in there too--a beautiful Scottish slave girl, of all things! There is also a paranormal element that creeps in when you aren't expecting one, but it ...more
Lauralynn Elliott
Aug 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I normally don't care for historical settings, and the only reason I read this one was because I had enjoyed previous works by Carolyn McCray. This one was about Brutus and Julius Caesar and the events leading up to his assassination. But this book put a completely different twist on the story, and included paranormal elements that made you see the whole thing from a different perspective. I was drawn into this story from page one and there was never a dull moment through the entire book. And ...more
Mariya Koleva
Apr 17, 2011 rated it liked it

The book is full of suspense. It does not let go till nearly the very end. The plot is tense and closely-knit. The political intrigue is very powerful. That, as well as the main characters’ inner moral struggles, was what attracted me most in the book.
As for paranormal, it came as a bit of surprise to me. The romance, on the other hand, was there all the time. Yet, it lacked some of the intensity I know the author is capable of.
As usual, Ms McCray’s style of writing is brilliant and the book is
Heather
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adopted-books
Loved the book. It was not as fasted paced as the author's other work 30 Pieces of Silver, but it was an intriguing work that I can only categorize as a paranormal romance in historical fiction. I'm a fan of Julius Caesar and ancient Rome and this gave an interesting twist to the story. Loved the romance aspect as well. I was constantly on the edge thinking, "when are they gonna kiss already?" lol. I'd definitely recommend this book to anyone who loves a good love story set in historical times ...more
Cat
Jul 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
Sadness. This book felt like it dragged on way too long. I just couldn't connect with the characters.

That said, this wasn't a bad book by any means. It was well written, with rich details and very human characters (flaws, strengths, etc). I definitely found the ending of the book to be a bit of a cop-out...(SPOILER ALERT) I didn't like that it was all chalked up to being fated and that these spirits would just spend eternity going through the same things over and over again.
Amy Winkelman
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
It took me a little longer to get into this book as opposed to her other books ( the Betrayed Series) but once she hooked me it took me all of one day to finish this book. I am not sure what it is about her writing, but I am so glad I found this writer. When you read her books and she describes the places, you feel as if you are actually there. She has helped me add new places in the world I want to visit. I loved the Betrayed Series and I look forward to reading this new series.
Vicki Krivak
Oct 21, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was not at all what I expected but I still really enjoyed
it. There were some historical inaccuries, but I just accepted it
as it was. It was hard for me to get into this book at first. It was
slow going. Finally the story picked up and it was pretty good. I
wasn't real happy about the ending though.
Brandy
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was so good. It starts out a little slow but as a historical romance it has such a wonderful twist. This is the second book of hers that I've read and it's both interesting and frustrating how she gets the main characters together because I never can figure out when or how it's going to happen.
Vichy
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, romance
Brutus' betrayal from an interesting twisted point of view. I liked the book a lot. I've just finished reading it and it gave me all the emotions at the highest level. Although I want to share the book's aftertaste, I won't because I don't want to spoil the image for the ones who haven't read it yet.
Taylor Hale
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I've always been intrigued by the story of Julius Caesar and Brutus and I LOVE history. So to be able to read about Ancient Rome and one of the most ultimate betrayals in history was wonderful. I thought the characters were incredibly well written and I loved the love story that tied in. I can't wait to read more by Carolyn McCray :)
Babette
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-e-book
I'm not a big romance novel reader. But I was interested in the story of Caesar's assassination from Brutus' point-of-view. The historical parts of the story were interesting, even if they skipped around a bit. The romance came late in the game. And adding a last minute supernatural element (hinted at a bit throughout the entire book) took away from the overall storyline. Not her best book.
J. Else
Besides the fact the author seems to have a fixation on taut nipples, I really, REALLY enjoyed this novel. Loved the idea of "the fated," and I want to read more of them! The star-crossed lovers, the strong characters, the colorful ancient world, I was wow-ed! What potential for an amazing series! Thanks for the historical detail and intrigue. I'm left wanting more!
Zella
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: myster-romance
It was an interesting tale. I love the characters, did find that there were areas where it dragged a bit, but enjoyed the writer - love-romance-paranormal story. Would definately read more of her books! Well done!
Florence Witkop
I liked it. Didn't think I would but I read it because I like unicorns. It was humorous and a decent read. I thought it went on a bit too long but I suspect that's me because I like stories that stick to the point and nothing but the point.
Jodi Woody
Sep 27, 2014 rated it liked it
I liked this book, a twist on familiar history. Towards the end there was some explicit sex, which I generally try to stay away from. For me it took away from the story, but if you go for that kind of stuff add a star back on. I give it 3 stars. definitely for mature readers. I say adults only.
Kbee
It was pretty good even though I don't really like the romans time.
I don't care if it's not historically correct, the story was good.It was bit hard to follow in the beginning but it cleared out in the end. Didn't like the ending but the H&h will be back in the next book.
Melanie
First fictional book to make me cry. Loved the author's interpretation of Brutus.

• A Holiday by Gaslight
  • The Runaway Queen (The Bane Chronicles, #2)
  • Vampires, Scones, and Edmund Herondale (The Bane Chronicles, #3)
  • What Really Happened in Peru (The Bane Chronicles, #1)
  • Jane Austen's Sanditon: With an Essay by Janet Todd
  • On Hosting Your Regency-Era Christmas Party: A Companion to Jane and the Twelve Days of Christmas
  • A Question of Inheritance (A Very English Mystery #2)
  • A Matter of Loyalty (A Very English Mystery #3)
  • Kissing at Midnight: A Seasonal Romance Anthology
  • A Second Chance Road Trip for Christmas (Holidays with the Wongs, #2)
  • Quantum (Captain Chase #1)
  • 2 A.M. at The Cat's Pajamas
  • Love Happens Anyway
  • Holiday Greetings from Sugar and Booze
  • Last Christmas in Paris: A Novel of World War I
  • Cut and Run
  • Plain Jane: Brunettes Beware (Harbinger Mystery, #1)
  • Road Kill MC Boxed Set (4-6): Snare, Wring and Lariat
This is a pen name of Goodreads author Cristyn West.