Start by marking “Black Belt Librarians: Every Librarian's Real World Guide to a Safer Workplace” as Want to Read:
Black Belt Librarians: Every Librarian's Real World Guide to a Safer Workplace

Black Belt Librarians: Every Librarian's Real World Guide to a Safer Workplace

3.46  ·  Rating details ·  254 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
Published May 31st 2006

To ask other readers questions about Black Belt Librarians, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Belt Librarians

Remy
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Librarians who inexplicably read self-help books
Recommended to Remy by: My Boss
Since this book is so short, I kept a running tab of comments as they occurred to me. This is what I came up with, and the accompanying page numbers:

2: Why the alphabet is in alphabetical order is not a stupid question. For that matter, if there is any profession where the idea of a stupid question shouldn't exist, it's Teacher, closely followed by Librarian.

16: Who is Lash Larue? If he died 20 odd years ago and hasn't really been around since the 50's, why would you use him as an example? Espec
Dorsch and Navarre Branch Libraries
Black Belt Librarians by Warren Graham

Essential Elements ... Page 7
1. You must have established rules and regulations
2. You never say these 5 things again,
he's harmless
he never has been a problem before
we have never had a problem before
we have always done it this way
other libraries do it that way
3. When advising patrons of rules you must always go by their behavior not their appearance
4. You have to be consistent in enforcement
5. You must control your environment through constant awareness
6. Do
Gillian Dawson
Feb 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nf, read-in-2014
3.5 stars. Was pleased to see we are already using most of what he suggests.
Liz De Coster
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lis
Fairly basic, common sense stuff. I know the author has seen a lot, but I would be surprised if there were anything in here an average public librarian doesn't already know.
Erika
May 10, 2017 rated it liked it
A useful guide to making your workplace safe for employees and patrons.

Takeaways:
-Be prepared for the worst. Do not avoid safety precautions because "you've never had a problem before."
-Have a calm, positive attitude when interacting with patrons. Do not simply react.
-Analyze incidents. What tactics worked and what didn't?
-Approach patrons nicely and do not make them feel dumb. "I know you didn't know, but..."
-When patrons express a problem, actively listen to them. Say "We're here to help you
Annie
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
The author shares many useful ideas for keeping the library safe, although most of them are common sense. My favorite take-away: 30-30-30.
Rob
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
The author gives strategies on how to improve library security. He gives a number of examples of security risks and (hilarious) anecdotes from his experience working as a security manager for libraries. Some of the strategies include the following:

1. Be aware
2. Focus on the behavior of library users so that you can respond appropriately to them, especially as they bring complaints or misbehave
3. Keep a log of security issues
4. Don't count money during open hours in front of library users
5. Set c
T.
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The light and conversational tone make this a must and easy ready for anyone working in a library. Most of the information is common sense, but as Warren Graham quotes Voltaire: "Common sense is not so common" (page 7). I was reminded of my experiences in my second job where I learned a lot of this hands-on, but it is helpful to see it again and be reminded of what I personally can change in my current environment. I all ready have a few changes I really need made.

Almost anyone who works with th
Renee'
Dec 15, 2009 rated it liked it
This should be required reading for all Library Administrators, Branch Managers, Directors and upper management. Read this if you work in a library or plan to and are concerned for your personal safety and sanity.

Mr. Graham gives no-nonsense advice about how to handle every type of library patron in a professional and reasonable manner.

For those of you who think that a library is a quiet safe haven and working in one would be your stressless dream job-check this out! Those libraries only exist i
Zemkat
Jan 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a quick read full of practical advice for staying safe and exercising authority while still providing good public service.

Some of the advice is simple: don't count money in front of patrons, and don't turn your back to someone who is potentially unstable. Other advice is less obvious and harder to follow: don't discount something just because it has never been a problem before. I am pleased to note how much of this advice is followed in my own library; for example, all staff must be fami
  • The Nextgen Librarian's Survival Guide
  • Bite Sized Marketing: Realistic Solutions For The Over Worked Librarian
  • Rethinking Information Work: A Career Guide for Librarians and Other Information Professionals
  • Casanova Was a Librarian: A Light-Hearted Look at the Profession
  • The Portable MLIS: Insights from the Experts
  • Reference and Information Services in the 21st Century : An Introduction
  • Revolting Librarians Redux: Radical Librarians Speak Out
  • The Librarian's Book of Lists
  • Reading Matters: What the Research Reveals about Reading, Libraries, and Community
  • What Would Dewey Do? (Unshelved, #2)
  • Books on Fire: The Destruction of Libraries throughout History