Start by marking “Love You When You Whine” as Want to Read:
Love You When You Whine

Love You When You Whine

Have you ever known a child who doesn’t occasionally whine? Or hit, or forget to say please, or refuse to share, or interrupt, or throw a tantrum, or ask for every toy in the store? We may like to pretend otherwise, but these are things small children do . . . and we continue to love them even when they misbehave.

This amusing catalog of bad behaviors is playfully illustra
Published September 5th 2006 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Love You When You Whine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love You When You Whine

Melenia
Feb 26, 2016 Melenia rated it it was ok
Ehh.
Jj
May 31, 2017 Jj rated it really liked it
Emily Jenkins AND Sergio Ruzzier? YES!
Shannon
Nov 15, 2012 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
I thought this was a wonderful book, as did my kids. I believe we read it every night at bedtime for the two weeks we had it on loan from the library. It was amazing to see the lightbulbs come on in their little minds when we got to the page "I love you even when you say that you don't love me." The message of the story was not lost on them in any way. I will absolutely be adding this to our home library!
Kelly
Dec 23, 2012 Kelly rated it did not like it
I was hoping there would be some redeeming quality or good message but all it really did was lay out a bunch of suggestions for how your kid could be bratty in different ways. The moral of the story is that the parent always loves the kid, but the message was really more for the parent than the kid, I think. My pet peeve is books written for children that don't teach good behavior, and this one falls into that category.
Meghan
Feb 09, 2009 Meghan rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture
I didn't like this one as it seemed to emphasize all types of bad behavior, but offered no counterpoint. I get the basic premise, but think the end result would probably give kids new ways to misbehave!
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
A mother expresses her unconditional love to her sometimes whiny, irritating, loud, tantrum-throwing, mess-making child.

A book everyone can relate to. Illustrations are somewhat creepy, but the text more than makes up for it.
Kristina Silverbears
Apr 18, 2014 Kristina Silverbears rated it it was ok
Shelves: babies
While I appreciate the sentiment I couldn't like this book. It doesn't feel like a story, and I worry that my children might one day try some of the naughty behaviors because they saw it here. We will not read it again.
Ruth Ann
Aug 06, 2014 Ruth Ann rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This book is intended for younger children. It reassures them that they are loved even when they misbehave. Appropriately, the unruly child is depicted as a little monster. Minimal text on each page, and most of the meaning is derived from the detailed pictures.
George
Jun 12, 2014 George rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
The sentiment is wonderful, but I wouldn't read this to my child or my keys may get buried in the backyard.
Peggy
Jan 26, 2013 Peggy rated it really liked it
My child said it was boring, but as a Mom who does tolerate a lot on a daily basis yet still love my kids - it was a really nice book!
Victoria
Oct 29, 2016 Victoria rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-read
Adorable book reminding kids you truly love then no matter what. Big hit with my 3&4 year old.
Lucia
Apr 11, 2008 Lucia rated it liked it
This book was obviously written for adults to enjoy and actually not read to their children. Kids wouldn't get it, as they are typically the whiners. Great illustrations of a very disgruntled momma.
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2012
Christine Turner
Christine Turner rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2009
Fiona R
Fiona R rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
Jen
Jen rated it it was ok
Jan 11, 2015
Monica
Monica rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2017
Steven Matview
Steven Matview rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2014
Jack&jude
Jack&jude rated it it was ok
Mar 30, 2011
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2011
Jessi
Jessi rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
May 30, 2017
Chezon
Chezon rated it did not like it
Jan 28, 2015
Jon Wilson
Jon Wilson rated it it was ok
Feb 14, 2013
Natalie
Natalie rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2009
Kristie
Kristie rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2010
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it it was ok
Apr 09, 2014
Allison Burka
Allison Burka rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2011
Samantha
Feb 10, 2016 Samantha rated it liked it
Such a cute book that is about all the bad things kids do and how much we love them regardless.
Shelli
Shelli rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »
Emily Jenkins is the author of many books for children, including the recent picture books Tiger and Badger, illustrated by Marie-Louise Gay, and Princessland, illustrated by Yoko Tanaka. Her chapter books include the Toys series, illustrated by Paul O. Zelinsky; she is co-author of the Upside-down Magic series. Emily Jenkins lives in New York City.
More about Emily Jenkins...