Start by marking “Hotel Angeline: A Novel in 36 Voices” as Want to Read:
Hotel Angeline: A Novel in 36 Voices

Hotel Angeline: A Novel in 36 Voices

Something is amiss at the Hotel Angeline, a rickety former mortuary perched atop Capitol Hill in rain-soaked Seattle. Fourteen-year-old Alexis Austin is fixing the plumbing, the tea, and all the problems of the world, it seems, in her landlady mother’s absence.

The quirky tenants—a hilarious mix of misfits and rabble-rousers from days gone by—rely on Alexis all the more whe
Published (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Hotel Angeline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hotel Angeline

Ellie
Apr 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
Written by 36 different authors, it is not, as you may be thinking, a collection of short stories but a surprisingly coherent novel written live on stage!

Yes you read that right. Hotel Angeline: A Novel In 36 Voices is the product of The Novel: Live! Each writer wrote a chapter in two hours and the whole novel was completed in just six days! Now I'll forgive you for thinking, that's great entertainment but surely the book is a bit hit and miss? No, no, no. It turned out a wonderful story about a
Alexis Villery
Jul 01, 2011 rated it did not like it
Whether you like this book or not might just depend on why you are reading it. If you are curious about a novel written by 36 different authors in 6 days this is for you. It is quite an amazing feat and in many aspects quite impressive. The writing, as expected, is quite impressive. I was most impressed with the fact that the characters were the same throughout the work. I didn't feel as if I was reading 36 versions of each character. Alexis (isn't that such a wonderful name), the main character ...more
Audra (Unabridged Chick)
Unfortunately, my favorite part of this potentially fascinating novel was the forward and introduction. A fascinating mix of performance art and literary experiment, this novel was born out of a brainstorm to raise awareness about Seattle's literary scene. A basic outline was created and the authors given free reign to interpret and move the story along as they saw fit. Totally neat and super exciting.

From the start, I didn't connect with the story or characters. Alexis is an interesting enough
Bethany
I found this randomly in the library, and truth be told I wasn't expecting to like it very much but how could I resist seeing how in the world 36 different people write one novel?

I actually enjoyed this way more than I thought I was going to. Some chapters are better than others, of course. Some chapters seamlessly fade into each other while some jar you with the remembrance that "Oh yes, this is not the same author."

One reason I was drawn to this book was the word "hotel" in the title. (And tha
Dixie
Apr 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, fiction
Hotel Angeline: A Novel in 36 Voices is unique in that it is one complete novel written by 36 distinct authors. Each chapter represents the work of one author. The novel was originally written in front of a live audience during an event was called The Novel: Live!. You can read more about the original concept here. Given the parameters of the original event, the outcome is pretty incredible.

Hotel Angeline centers around fourteen-year-old Alexis Austin, who lives in a former mortuary turned hot
Ken Howe
May 17, 2011 rated it liked it
The idea behind Hotel Angeline: A Novel in 36 Voices, brainchild of Garth Stein and Jennie Shortridge of Seattle7Writers, is as fascinating as the book promises to be: a cadre of 36 well-known writers gathering in Seattle in October of 2010 to write a complete novel in six days. Before a live audience. Each writer completing one chapter in two hours.

How cool is that?

As an experiment in literary creation, the book accomplishes three very ambitious goals: first, the rendering of a (mostly) cohesiv
Julie G
Sep 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Intrigued by the story of its creation, I chose to read and review Hotel Angeline because of the subtitle. A Novel in 36 Voices says it all.

Jenny Shortridge and Garth Stein were asked to help brainstorm ideas for the literary week of ArtsCrush, the Seattle month-long arts festival. The cofounders of non-profit Seattle7Writers wracked their brains until Stein had a ... novel ... idea: A writing marathon.

Over six days in October 2010, twelve hours a day, thirty-six writers took a turn. For 2 hours
Cleffairy Cleffairy
May 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Full review at: Over A Cuppa Tea

When I requested this book for review in Netgalley, I am not quite sure what to expect, considering that it’s one story written by 36 authors live. Yes… it’s just one story…not a collection of story. I was rather skeptic a with the end result even before I began reading.

I wondered if it will even have coherence, but much to my surprised, it’s not only decipherable, but the story is amazingly well written and I’m pleased to say it’s one of the best novel I’ve ever
Ellen
May 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think that this book would appeal to someone who reads Y A books. It was quirky but also depressing. Sort of an Oprah type book for teens.
Alli Garrison
May 21, 2018 rated it liked it
I love a gimmick (see Ella Minnow Pea) and this one does not disappoint. Written by 36 authors in two-hour stints in a public setting and it flows better than some furiously edited single-author books I've read recently. I loved Alexis - she's quirky and precocious. Rich characters all-around.

I liked knowing that each new chapter brought talent to the story. I also liked the nods-to-self that some authors added to the story-line. I thoroughly enjoyed this experiment in writing. Some readers may
Bev
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it
What a fun, confusing, creative project this book is -- the work of 36 Seattle writers, each picking up the thread of the story and taking it forward for two hours and then passing it to the next. It is the story of fourteen-year-old Alexis who lives at the Hotel Angeline with an odd assortment of tenants and finds herself responsible for them when her mother is no longer able to be. The story of how her life spins her away and then back home is engaging -- and the book is a memorable project in ...more
Anne-Gigi  Chan
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Mixed feeling...

The concept behind this book fascinated me and being a resident in the Seattle area for over a decade made me very interested in reading it. The story was slow to start and I almost gave up after a while. Reading this was like reading a train wreck in slow motion so I am not sure I really liked the story line. However, given it was written by 36 different people, it was surprisingly coherent.
Susan
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the story of Alexis Austin a 14 year old girl who is facing some considerable challenges in her unusual chaotic life in the Hotel Angeline. There are 35 chapters in this book, each written by different Pacific Northwest author(s), like Elizabeth George and Erik Larson. Alexis lives in Seattle, so there are lots of references to familiar landmarks. This book would probably be of more interest to a young adult reader.
Jack Martin
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Coming of age.

This was the most interesting book in years. The eclectic and creative genius of each writer chapter by chapter made this book unique and enjoyable.
What a brilliant idea to use stand-up comedy improve and transfer it to a story well worth ready.
It changed my view on young street kids of Seattle. Alexis is a heroine in her growth their tragedy, loss of family and awakening.
Brilliant does not do this book justice.
Thank you.
JM
Ken Hunt
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: brain-candy, fiction
What a fun concept well executed. A lot of Seattle's most famous writers each writing a chapter in sequence, that held together nicely. My favorites involved included, Garth Stein, Erik Larsen, and Jamie Ford. You can actually see their styles and filters imprinted on their chapters. Fun, quick, total brain candy. Must read for Seattleites, fun read for all.
Marilyn
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a fourteen year old girl is hard work. Alexis understands better than others. She has had to hide her mother's death and body, keep running the "hotel", keep secrets from her best friend, and still go to school like every other teenager. The book is made even more interesting knowing that each chapter was written by a different author.
Carole McGraw
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun read. Great continuity. You could tell the different author's styles. Some I liked more than others, but on the whole this book was well worth reading. The characters were interesting, but some of the situations were somewhat far fetched.
Kelly
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Each chapter was written by a different author yet the story flowed. Lots of Seattle landmarks and history mentioned in the story.
Mer
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting concept. The story was okay.
Heather Bergeron
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Despite a few slow spots, this book is interesting because it is one cohesive story written by 36 different contemporary authors. Be sure to read the foreword!
Debbie
Sep 18, 2018 rated it liked it
So wanted to like this!
Megan Bowers
Dec 01, 2017 rated it liked it
2017 Reading Challenge: A book with multiple authors.
Katie
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
/waves hand

Eh! The premise was good and I like how there was a different author (and even a graphic novelist!) writing each chapter, but I don't know if I'd read it again.
Cherri
Oct 19, 2018 rated it liked it
The most interesting thing about this book was comparing the 36 authors’ styles.
Karen morsecode
May 07, 2011 rated it liked it
I think that it's pretty safe to say that there's never been a novel like Hotel Angeline before. It was written by 36 authors (each writing for two hours) over the course of six days in October 2010. The Novel: Live! made novel-writing a performance art.

The plot, which was outlined before The Novel: Live! event is centered around 14-year-old Alexis Austin and the eccentric-full mortuary-turned-residential hotel run by her mother.

My favorite line was written by Jarret Middleton. He has Alexis say
David Edmonds
Oct 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2011
Alexis Austin is taking care of the tenants of the Hotel Angeline in her mother's absence, an absence that Alexis doesn't want anybody to figure out just quite yet. The tenants of the Hotel are a great big mixed eclectic bag of eccentrics who rely maybe a little too heavily on Alexis (and before her, her mother) but who make up the only family that Alexis has ever known. Alexis is too young to have all this responsibility (she's only a teenager, after all), but to her, the alternative is grim to ...more
Julie
Apr 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-books
For six days last October, 36 writers took turns writing a novel, live on stage, during an event organized by the Seattle7Writers called "The Novel: Live!" ~ you can see the list of authors on The Novel: Live! website. Each author had a two hour time slot during which they were to write the next chapter in an evolving novel. Author Jennie Shortridge wrote the first chapter, and Susan Wiggs wrapped it up six days later. In between, authors came and went, adding their layers to the story. At the e ...more
Michele
I am what Nancy Pearl, in the brilliant introduction to Hotel Angelique, calls a Loca-reader. I've always enjoyed reading books written by author who live in or novels set in my hometown. So when given the opportunity to read Hotel Angelique, a novel set in Seattle with 36 chapters, each written by a different Seattle author, I jumped on it.

Hotel Angelique, it must be noted, is much more than just a collaborative effort by Seattle's best and brightest authors. The novel was conceived as performa
Devlin Scott
Thirty-six of the most interesting writers in the Pacific Northwest came together for a week-long marathon of writing live on stage. The result? Hotel Angeline, a truly inventive novel that surprises at every turn of the page.

The quirky te
Judy
Jun 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would give this novel a five for concept and a three for story--hence the four rating. The concept of the novel is pure genius. As part of The Novel: Live! project, this novel was written in six days, with 36 authors writing for two hours each, for 12 hours a day. Did I mention that each author wrote on stage with an audience and the project was being recorded and beamed out on the Web? There was also a chat room function and the project was used to raise money for a variety of causes. Before ...more
Open Books Chicago: Book Club for Public Transportation Riders? 4 34 Jan 29, 2013 06:43AM
About Hotel Angeline: A Novel in 36 Voices 1 15 Apr 18, 2011 08:45AM

• Seattle Noir
  • The Evidence Exposed
  • Truth Like the Sun
  • Portland Noir
  • The Pianist in the Dark
  • Sweet as Cane, Salty as Tears
  • Down from Cascom Mountain: A Novel
  • The Rake's Wicked Proposal (The Notorious St. Claires, #2)
  • Me and My Baby View the Eclipse
  • The Judas Syndrome (The Judas Syndrome, #1)
  • When She Flew
  • Search Party: Stories of Rescue
  • Becoming (Red Rock Pass, #0)
  • Shadows on our Skin
  • The Day I Saw the Hummingbird
  • Grunge Is Dead: The Oral History of Seattle Rock Music
  • The Good Luck Knot
  • The Pig Comes to Dinner
Garth Stein is the author of four novels: the New York Times bestselling gothic/historical/coming-of-age/ghost story, "A Sudden Light"; the internationally bestselling "The Art of Racing in the Rain"; the PNBA Book Award winner, "How Evan Broke His Head and Other Secrets"; and the magically realistic "Raven Stole the Moon." He is also the author of the stage play "Brother Jones." He has a dog, he' ...more
“It isn’t fair, but maybe that’s the whole point. Fairness has no part in real life, and she took that lesson away from the Hotel Angeline with her.” 4 likes
“You have seven writers in your basement?”

Donald nods, signing, “They like it here. There’s a poet, a couple of novelists, an opera librettist, an essay writer . . . . They don’t usually make much trouble.”
4 likes