Start by marking “The Librarian from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Librarian from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #5)

The Librarian from the Black Lagoon

(Black Lagoon #5)

Large paperback.PINK
Published August 1st 1997 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about The Librarian from the Black Lagoon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Librarian from the Black Lagoon

Alexandra
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
i freaking CAN'T in the best possible way. omg this is adorable.

basically every kid who thinks they don't want to read or that the library is an intimidating place should read this 😝

it's about a little boy who is going with his class for the first time to the school library and he's discussing with the reader all of the rumors he's heard about how awful the place is.

"mrs. beamster is the librarian. the kids call her "THE LAMINATOR." they say she laminates you if you talk in the library."

and he
Skylar Burris
Apr 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I think this series of books simultaneously satisfies my children’s varied desires for books that are a little bit scary, funny, related to their own lives, and happily resolved. It has all the components they enjoy individually rolled up into one. I find most children’s series of this kind become increasingly disappointing as you move on in the series; the first is always the best, but soon they become repetitive and somewhat dull rip-offs of each other. This is not the case for me with the Bla ...more
Hoda Marmar
Fun story about the spooky rumors about the school's library.
Carter
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
this book is about a kid in elementary that heard a bunch of bad rumors about his librani teacher but then at the end of the book it turns out she wasnt like that
nine toe joe
if was a mistery because he didn't know the the librarian really looked like and his friend was giving bad information about her then he final met her and figer out she was a nice and caring person. i would wont elementery students to read this book because it is easy and not at the reading level for middle school's
and high school's
Monster
Hubie’s class is getting ready to visit the school library for the first time, but rumor has it that the library is a scary place, and that the librarian, Mrs. Beamster is terrifying. Just to get inside, you have to be decontaminated! The books are bolted to the shelves, the kids are literally glued to their chairs, and the computer uses a real mouse! In appearance, the scary Mrs. Beamster has a lot in common with Viola Swamp (from Miss Nelson is Missing) and she revels in making library time m ...more
Jammie Mays
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book, it made me think about my kindergarten classes first trip to the library. Was this what they were thinking before we arrived? Did I do a good job of preparing them for their first trip? The author did a great job of displaying the complicated mind of a child and their wild imagination of the unknown.
The illustrations brought me back to a time when I was young and my peers would share rumors about other teachers (music, p.e., etc.). We would spread the rumors throug
Megan Franks
Sep 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Rumor has it that the library is a scary place. It's located somewhere behind the broiler room ("The Media Center of the Earth") and the monsterous librarian rules with an iron fist. Word on the street says she won't even let you check out books; they are all bolted down! If she catches you talking, she will laminate you (that's why they call her "the Laminator")! She's so boring, she recites the Dewey decimal system by memory to her classes (and wears a picture of Mr. Dewey in a locket around h ...more
Audrey
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Theme: Things are not always what they seem. Don't believe everything that you hear.

A little boy thinks that going to the library is going to be a miserable and scary event, but he ends up being pleasantly surprised.

This book is humorous, and has unique and exaggerated pictures. The book would be a good story to read for a humorous introduction to the school library. The librarian is portrayed at the end of the book to be caring, and even gives the little boy a joke book to read that she has sav
Natalie
Mar 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: librarians, k-12 media specialists, anyone who enjoys reading cartoon picture books aloud to kids
The L I B R A R Y . . . SCARY . . . SCARY . . . SCARY . . . indeed!

Anything could be in there!

Anything could get you!

You could read something scary, see something scary, meet someone scary.

Why would A N Y O N E go there?!

Read:
The Librarian from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #5) by Mike Thaler
The Librarian from the Black Lagoon

And find out!
(unless the library monsters get you first!)
Becky B
Sep 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Librarians, Anyone who uses a library, Those who like humor
One of my favorite picture books. I haven't met a teacher yet who hasn't liked at least one of the books in this series. (Oh, and kids think they're pretty funny too.) It helps that I'm a school media center specialist, and yes, there are times I've fantasized about bolting the books to the shelves and laminating certain students.
Caitlin
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mike Thaler had a very creative storyline that also embodies an important theme for the audience. The Librarian from the Black Lagoon by Thaler follows a young boy who goes with his class to the school library. Unfortunately, due to some intimidating rumors about the librarian and the library, he is nervous about his first visit to this unfamiliar environment. He does eventually make his way to the library and is surprised by what he experiences.

Thaler seems to intend this book for an older aud
Jennifer Trinker
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Librarian from the Black Lagoon is a simple little children's book that tells about a group of students' first visit to their school library. Most of the story is taken up with over-the-top descriptions of what they've been told the librarian is: a big, scary monster whose lair is no fun to be in. When they get to the library, though, they learn that what they've heard isn't entirely accurate.

Illustrations throughout the book are all interesting and fun to look at. The drawings that depict w
Brianda
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"they say she LAMINATES you if you talk in the library" - Mike Thaler
The author begins with a tone from a child's viewpoint of how they describe the librarian and the library itself. As I was reading this book I even changed my tone the way the font was laid out made me feel like whoa this librarian is mean. for example, " Next, we have to go through the GUM DETECTOR". It's funny how kids make an exaggeration all these rules given at a library. The pictures on this book gives a great illustrati
Briana Bencivenga
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
1. Awards: n/a
2. Appropriate grade level(s): Preschool- 2nd Grade
3. Original Summary: This book is about a younger boy named Hubie who is going to the school library with his class. He is discussing the rumors he has heard from other people with his peers. Once he goes to the library, he finds that it is a place he loves and is no longer scared.
4. Original Review: This book is a great mix of genres. It is a little bit scary, funny, and easy to relate to. The plot places emphasis on the lesson t
Erica Robyn
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
These books were another staple from my childhood! I remember really loving the silliness of these tales as a kid. Granted, I read these in a time where our principal would threaten to, "string you up by your toes and hang you from the basketball hoops" if we were misbehaving, so my sense of what was okay to joke about and what was not may have already been a little skewed.

I think the tales would be a fun read for a kid that may be a little nervous about their first day as it would help them se
Natalie Guido
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awards the book has received: None
Appropriate grade level: Kindergarten through third
Original summary: It is the students first time at the library and they have heard nothing but horrible things about the library and the horrible librarian. They imagine everything in horrible detail but are in for a pleasant surprise once they arrive at the library.
Original review: This has always been one of my favorite books. I believe this is really relatable to most young students because they tend to fear
Shelby Hayes
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Summary: This book provides sumptuous detail of what the students think going to the library will be like based on stories they have heard. All of the stories are terrifying, but the students learn that the librarian is actually a nice lady and the library isn't as scary as it seemed.

Evaluation: This book allows students to use their creativity when reading along due to the stories given by the students. This book is also a good length for a quick read aloud.

Teaching Point: This book can be use
LeeAnn Owens
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-log-1-10
Summary: This book tells the ultimate horror story of going to the library. It paints the library and the librarian as the scariest, most unwelcoming place to be. The students' minds change, however, upon arriving to the school library and they find out that its not so bad after all.

Evaluation: I thought this book was very imaginative and would encourage students to think outside the box when they tell their own stories.

Teaching Point: I could have students make text-to-self connections betwee
Patty
Sep 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
I've been reading a ton of picture books for library school. I'm taking a children's literature and resources class this semester, and I'm putting together a list of the top 20 children's books about going to the library. This book did not make the list. I hated this book. Mike Thaler spent 75% of this book making libraries sound like torture chambers, and then tried to make up for all of it with six measly pages of happy fluff that "Golly gee, the library is great after all!" What an eyeroll...
Anthony
It's time for Hubie, and his classmates to visit the school library. Rumor has it, that it's behind the boiler room,and is known as the "MEDIA CENTER OF THE EARTH." Hubie's imagination is on full tilt, and he doesn't know what to expect, or if he will survive, or return from this trip. But once inside the library, he discovers a whole new world waiting for him, and a special book , Mrs. Beamtser, the librarian has set aside just for him.
Elysa Harwood
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mike Thaler's Black Lagoon books were always weird and scary to me. The Librarian from the Black Lagoon is one of my favorites. The pictures are detailed and helps me visualize the story. The colors are dark and the characters look strange. The message of the book tells us not to believe in everything we are told and rumors are easy to get caught up in.
Josh Bader
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
These series were one of my childhood classics. I liked all of them. The best part is the graphics and pictures of all them. They give you the scared side of an elementary school student and then show the real thing at the end. These books always leave you feeling warm inside.
Pita-eater
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
A little boy imagines the library as a terrible dungeon and the librarian as a scary ogre. Everything turns out the opposite, of course, with the boy liking the library in the end. Not a huge fan of the illustrations. The premise is gimmicky.
Mr. Canning
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I used this book to introduce myself and students to the library at the beginning of the school year. They loved it and got a big kick when I'd tell them I would laminate them. It was a great ice breaker book for the library.
Amanda Johnson
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the Black Lagoon series. As a librarian, this one is naturally my favorite. I love breaking the mean librarian stereotype. My kids think this series is really cute and I enjoy reading them to students as well as encouraging them to check these books out.
frogfairie
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the library & I love this book!
Joanna
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Don't believe everything you hear....
Jessica Pinnick

• Maybe a Bear Ate It!
  • Book! Book! Book!
  • The Librarian of Basra: A True Story from Iraq
  • Groundhog Gets a Say
  • Library Mouse (Library Mouse #1)
  • Beatrice Doesn't Want To
  • Lola at the Library
  • Librarian on the Roof! A True Story
Mike Thaler, born in Los Angeles, started his professional career drawing cartoons for adults. A children's book editor saw one of his cartoon stories in a national magazine and encouraged Mike to try writing for children. His first attempt met with success, and "The Magic Boy" was published in 1961.

Mike has produced over 220 published books and is known as “America’s Riddle King.” He has also bee

Black Lagoon (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Teacher from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #1)
  • The Principal from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #2)
  • The Gym Teacher from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #3)
  • The School Nurse from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #4)
  • The Cafeteria Lady from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #6)
  • The School Bus Driver from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #7)
  • The Music Teacher from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #8)
  • The Custodian from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #9)
  • The Class from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #10)
  • The Class Pet from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #11)