Start by marking “The Next Day: A Graphic Novella” as Want to Read:
The Next Day: A Graphic Novella

The Next Day: A Graphic Novella

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  292 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
A graphic novella constructed from intimate interviews with survivors of near-fatal suicide attempts. It offers haunting personal insight into life of four seemingly ordinary people, the decision to end it, and what comes after.
Published May 17th 2011 by Pop Sandbox (first published April 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Next Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Next Day

David Schaafsma
A collaborative, multi-media project about attempted suicide, focused on interviewers with for suicide attempt survivors. This version of it features the comics illustration of John Porcellino. Spare, respectful, subdued, honest, sections are separated by scenes of outdoors with increasing cloudiness and rain. The point of the title is to ask the question, what about the next day? The stories are told in sections, focused on common themes, early experiences, mental illness, substance abuse, fami ...more
Dov Zeller
Another pastiche review. Excerpts from other gr reviewers reviews that tells the general story of how I feel about it, or articulate things I thought were particularly interesting and important.

Thank you goodreads reviewers! I learn so much from you!!!

Excerpts below

Sesana
Sep 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, comics
This isn't exactly what I expected. From the title and the publisher summary, I expected this book to concentrate more on the aftermath of a suicide attempt. Instead, most of this book deals with what leads to an attempt, using interviews from four survivors. This isn't inherently a weakness, but it just isn't what I was expecting. The interviews themselves are chopped up a bit more than I would have liked: a few lines from one person, then a few lines from the next, and so on. It does point out ...more
Interesting but ultimately just too short to really make an impact the way I think the authors intended. The theme is there and quite well done, but it just seems a bit of a cursory overview. More time is spent on documenting the road to suicide then what actually happens on that next day.
Emilia P
May 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Yeah. Eh.
It was pretty good, actually -- a non-completely linear story of four people's suicide attempts -- not particularly broadly painted nor painfully confessional. Basically, it went: attempts, backstory, recovery. Accompanied by the simple sweet drawings of John Porcellino. An oral history of sorts. It was fine, perhaps a bit preachier in the end (don't kill yourself, kids!...um, duh) than I had hoped -- and than John Porcellino usually goes with. But of course, he didn't write this himsel
aria [dear darling reader]
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This graphic novel was based on a series of interviews with four people who survived suicide attempts. Each character have their own story to tell.

Suicide is definitely a very sensitive topic. When I was reading this I remembered Jay Asher's Thirteen Reasons Why. Hannah comitted suicide and she died. The characters in this novel however did not. They were given a chance to make things right. To improve themselves.

The book dealt with a very heavy topic but the illustrations made it a comfortabl
Vim
Nov 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Courtney
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
It was interesting, but I still found myself feeling like there were unanswered questions about how these people felt and how they were coping/changing their lives after their attempt.
MariNaomi
Jul 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic
A lovely little book about suicide survivors. Serious, sweet, tragic, hopeful.
Lauren
May 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
I wish it was longer but it was a great book.
Grg
Sep 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
The way they divided up the four stories page by page made it hard to follow. Nice art though.
Lorra Fae
Jul 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Touching - I wish that the stories were not mixed together, though, and stood on their own.
Shannonmde
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
so short, oversimplified and sparse that it felt like something was missing.
BlurryBug
This little book wasn't what I expected it to be. I knew it would be about survivors, but I thought it would be focused on the after rather than the build up, the back story, the incident and the after. It was so raw and pure and I cant believe how 100 short pages made me feel. The comic is simple drawings, the story is from interview answers given by four survivors and the set up is one to two pages from each person at the time.

Four survivors, four individuals with similar back stories but als
Helen
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Four people talk about their suicide attempts, from their lives leading up to the attempt, to life afterwards. Based upon interviews with real people, the book is short and to the point. Many of the illustrations are very simplistic but there are subtle strengths to some of them, it looks sloppy and childish but there's many succinct details added in to create depth in images of the words and feelings expressed.
Kelly
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very telling. This book follows (briefly) the stories of four individuals who attempted suicide. It doesn't get overly detailed, therefore it's not too graphic. But there's enough history to let the reader know what these four people went through that brought them to the point of suicide attempts.
Andy
May 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Was expecting something deeper and more profound with this graphic novel that talks about survivors of suicide attempts. Very minimal lines and art, kinda choppy in switching between the four stories.
Becca
Mar 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The concept of this book was appealing, because suicide has touched my life in more ways than one. However, I thought the quality of the drawings were subpar and simple. I also wish it went into a little more depth.
Kaila
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I wish this had been longer.
Wandering Librarians
This graphic novel starts with a warning. "This graphic novella is built from intimate interviews with four people who have attempted suicide. It includes descriptions of actual attempts and traumatic events that may be upsetting to some readers." It is the story of four young people, Tina, Ryan, Chantel and Jenn, who all attempt suicide. Each individual's story is told, leading up to their suicide attempt and what happened after.

I think it was a very brave thing to do. Suicide, depression, and
Red
I found this book helpful for similar reasons I found Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened helpful. While absent the humor that made Hyperbole so iconic, The Next Day's important and helpful to me to read truthful stories about the intersection of suicide and depression. This book doesn't pretend that these feelings can ever truly go away or that if you just believe in yourself you can overcome the wiring of your brain in ...more
marvellings
This short graphic novel tells the real-life stories of four people who have attempted suicide. It's split into three sections: the day of, the days before, and the next day, with each person's stories interwoven throughout.
"Because I have a mental illness over which I have no control...

Sorry, that's not quite what I meant to say. I have a mental illness that requires constant care."
I hadn't heard of this book before I spotted it on the shelf at the library, but I borrowed it because the premis
Monique
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I don't remember how I came to have this book or when I first heard about it, but I think it was before I realized I had depression. Re-reading it now, years later, it hits a bit closer to home. I cried reading this, I couldn't help it. I had some idea...that feeling of wanting it to all end. I'll never forget my darkest moments and how painful they were. I'll take a physical injury over that mental anguish any day.

The book's format is not exactly what I'd like. Its a bit messy and hard to keep
Chris
Dec 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
ARC provided by NetGalley

The Next Day is a moving nonfictional account of four people’s suicide attempts, what lead up to the events, and what happened afterward. The stories are taken from personal interviews and are accompanied by simple line drawings. An interactive website at thenexday.nfb.ca provides more information.

Each year one million people die from suicide, and many more make an attempt. However, it’s not something that is really talked about except to build tension on tv shows. Telli
Kath
Feb 08, 2015 rated it liked it
I was first introduced to Procellino's work in WALDEN. I love his graphic style, so I was excited to read this. The narratives of 4 attempted and failed suicides must be respected, but I'm not sure the style was the best choice. The narratives interrupt each other, and I lost track of who was who. I would rather have seen 4 separate stories. But I am not as clever at interpreting graphic novels as others. I loved what it had to say at the end. I won't put it on this review because it will spoil ...more
Kat
Oct 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book looks at the lives of four people who have attempted suicide and what was going on in their lives before and after.

It was a bit different than I was expecting. I was expecting more focus on the day after (especially given the title) but there was more focus on the time leading up to the suicide attempt.

All four characters had really awful home lives and the book made it seem like in order to suffer from mental illness you had to endure some trauma. In that sense, I felt that the book
Colleen
Jun 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Definitely outside my usual range, this graphic novella depicts the suicide attempts of four different people who were interviewed for a project with the National Film Board of Canada. Extremely stark and simple in both drawings and text, it still manages to convey the feelings of those involved. The word "like" is probably the wrong choice of verb for rating this book, but even though I was able to read through this novella in about fifteen minutes, it definitely managed to get its message acro ...more
Barbara McVeigh
Dec 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
A graphic novella which depicts, believe it or not, suicide attempts.

The books has two sections: "The Day Of"; and "The Next Day".

It is powerful and moving: The lesson being that each of these people are grateful for having a second chance.

Each person's story is done is a different graphic style; still, at times, I had to flip back to find out who was who. Initially, it was difficult to follow a single character's storyline, since the book alternates amongst the four characters.

Graphic novels ar
Boothanew
Mar 22, 2016 rated it liked it
I would give this story a 3.5 if I could, it's not a bad story I just feel it's very difficult to cover such a deep topic as depression in suicide with a few drawings.What this book does right though is it starts a narrative for depression and how very real the struggle with it is. If this short story can help someone who struggles that is awesome but I feel it is best suited for people who are in a recovery phase of their depression, I consider myself one of those people.
Clarissa
Dec 14, 2012 rated it liked it
A simply illustrated graphic novella formulated around the interviews with four near-fatal suicide attempt survivors. It provides moving insight into depression, addiction and other mental illness, how their life stories, in some cases replete with trauma, influenced their decision to end their life and the lessons learned from survival. A quick read (I finished it on a 40 minute subway commute), beautifully executed and compassionately conveyed.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • One Soul
  • Monsters
  • Two Generals
  • Tangles: A Story About Alzheimer's, My Mother, and Me
  • Megg  & Mogg In Amsterdam (And Other Stories)
  • Mendel's Daughter: A Memoir

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
    $13.99 $1.99
    $10.74 $1.99
  • The Beauty Myth: How Images of Beauty Are Used Against Women
    $14.99 $2.99
    $18.99 $1.99
  • The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question?
  • The Wright Brothers