Start by marking “The Last Confession: A Crime Novel” as Want to Read:
The Last Confession: A Crime Novel

The Last Confession: A Crime Novel (Mike Coletti #1)

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  127 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Having come of age on the mob-controlled streets of 1960's South Philly, Detective Mike Coletti learned early to walk the fine line between cops and criminals. That skill served him well during his thirty-one years in homicide. But it never stopped the nightmares. The screams in the sanctuary still haunt him, the sound of the gunshots still torment him, and the truth of th ...more
Published September 13th 2011 by Minotaur Books (first published October 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Confession, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Confession

Monique
Okay so I was all set to give this book a solid four-star as I really liked it---until the end..I felt the end cheapened the whole book, the whole setup, the whole premise, the whole reason I wanted to finish the book though religious themed novels are not really my thing..Okay so here goes, the plot involves retiring Detective Coletti who is being haunted by a case from ten years ago when he arrested a priest in a horrific murder but never really believed the facts in front of him and actually ...more
Heidi
Jul 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
at first i was just drawn to this story because of the piece i heard on NPR about it, because it's set in philadelphia (and my heart misses philadelphia so, so much these days), and because the author is a professor at temple university, my alma mater. i stuck it out because i love a good detective story, i love a story where the place acts as a character, and i love a redemption story.

the pace was fast here, which i like because it mimics the pace of an investigation when a murderer is on the
Tyra
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WOW!! I would've never guessed THAT ending! This was a great book. A bit dark but definitely a great read. Once I put myself into it, it only took me 2-3 days to finish. I must say, i never heard of this gentleman before BUT after reading Last Confession, I will be sure to check out some more works of Solomon Jones. Great ending, great suspense, great mystery! Looking forward to the next mystery novel!
Zach
Oct 29, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
Be aware that this is a Christian crime novel with supernatural nonsense sprinkled in. Oh, you'll also figure out the ending disappointingly early. Stay clear.
John R. Hoffman
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mike Coletti is a veteran Philadelphia Detective haunted by a triple-murder that he responded to 30-years earlier. Weeks away from retirement, he investigates a new series of murders that indicates that the original killer may have returned days before the scheduled execution of the priest that Coletti helped convict. Partnered with a young gun (Charles Mann), loner Coletti must prove that the priest is innocent while the killer is coming after him.

The story is fast-paced and hard to put down. T
Evan
Aug 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I was not a huge fan of the religious undertones peppered throughout this novel, I am a sucker for police procedurals of pretty much any type. Give me murders and gritty cops to solve them, and I'm pretty likely to read the entire book. I heard Solomon Jones talking about this book on NPR, and was interested in how much of a role the city of Philadelphia plays in the book. In fact, it's almost a character itself. I love novels that really go out of their way to create a sense of place. De ...more
Nardsbaby Reader
Blemishes

Thirty-one years in homicide, and three days left before he retires, Detective Mike Coletti finds that his nightmares just may be coming true. A case he worked ten years ago, The Confessional Murders, not only speaks to him, but shows the real killer. Father O'Reilly was convicted and sentenced to die for this crime. With time ticking away and bodies stacking up, Mike and his new team are forced to trace the steps of Mike's past in order to stop the angel of death.

Solomon Jones has a k
Jessie
Jul 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listed to an interview with the offer on NPR a few weeks ago and thought it would be a good summer read. And... well... it was a fun read. Reminded me of an extended episode of law and order (which I actually kinda love) or something lifetime would present. Not the best writing in the world and characters are a little shallow but entertaining. Poor writing usually puts me off, but the story was intriguing and got me to finish.
Denise Dougherty
My first book by Philadelphia guy, Solomon Jones. I like his character, Coletti, so I chose well in selecting the first in his series with this seasoned Phila PD detective. It is always fun reading about the city where you live.

The ending was a surprise and the rest of the book was entertaining enough to send me looking for Colleti #2. The narrator was also quite good - my first time listening to him.

DD@Phila
Tom Rowe
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This murder mystery is set in Philadelphia. Having grown up in Philly, I am familiar with the detailed descriptions of the different neighborhoods. Jones also captured the prevailing racial attitudes that are a part of everyday life in the city. I liked the story and enjoyed the ride of virtually reliving some of the great areas of the city.
Debra Odom
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The beginning and ending was awesome. The middle chapters were not as exciting obit needed to tell the story and to build to the end, I was very surprised to find out who the angel of death turned out to be. Solomon really kept that one under wraps. This book is an easy read. I began it yesterday and finished the book the next day.
Roger
Sep 19, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rather enjoyed this book. Well plotted and the Philly environment described by Jones was familiar and repelling at the same time. Too bad the characters were quite two dimensional and their actions were questionable. A twist at the end brought it up from two stars to three because I didn't see it coming. But once I got it, a lot of other things in the book made sense. Good read. Go for it.
Te'Amo
Jul 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Solomon as an author period! This book was a satisfier just like his others. I was drawn in from the first few pages and had a hard time putting it down. It had some twists and turns and brought me to a "I would've never thought" point and actually had me shocked. Definitely couldn't predict the ending in this one but I loved it that much more.
Gayenell Burch
Don't know how I feel about this book yet. Imediately after reading I felt cheated. I couldn't imagine the killer being who it was, now, days later I don't feel as cheated, although I still feel there are holes in the story.
Linda
Feb 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book from the library when I was looking for an easy but interesting read. The premise sounded wonderful but I found it difficult to stay focused as I read. The characters were woefully underdeveloped, and the ending too predictable.
Deb
Jul 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The POV in this book was so all over the place that it was jarring. Additionally, at points there was too much detail and at other points not enough. Overall it was an enjoyable story, but the writing was amateur and unexceptional.
Carol
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book in less than day & a half, it captured my attention from the very beginning and I didn't want to put it down! This is only the 2nd book I've read by Solomon Jones, but I'm quickly becoming a fan.
Michelle Wallace
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When someone named Solomon writes a book, you just have to read it. I very much like this book, as it is engaging, entertaining, and easy to follow. There is just the right amount of personal side stories to spice up the police work.
Born True Bethea
I was never one for crime drama as well as mysteries, but this one take the cake. Solomon Jones Really outdid himself on this one. I have just about all his books and from what i know, this is the best one i have ever read by him. Great job.
Myra Coleman
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a fan of murder mysteries, but I must say I really enjoyed this book. Solomon is a terrific writer. I love that the story was told around Philadelphia because I could relate to a lot of the streets and places mentioned in the book. The book was definitely a page turner.
Yvonne
Jan 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A true mystery!!!!! Great work!!!
Paula
Feb 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pete Coletti put a priest away for some murders that happened a few years ago. He has felt guilty ever since, and now more than ever because the killings have started again.
Michael
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Quick and easy read - nothing crazy, but not bad for a beach book or a two-day detective story.
Wil Roese
We both gave it 2 1/2 stars but I rounded it to 3. I suspected who the killer was after the first couple of chapters.
Chris
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Spoiler - Enjoyed the narrative, but it seems like a huge plot hole. I can't give details without spoiling the end.
Hrn1947
the story gives you no clues to help you solve the mystery. i expected the protaganest to feel more hurt and grief than he did. can't recomend it. if there's nothing else read it.
Tamara
Apr 01, 2013
Alyce Rocco
May 18, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Penguin Pool Murder (Hildegarde Withers #1)
  • Diary of a Stalker
  • Trying to Stay Saved (New Day Divas, 4)
  • Murder Casts a Shadow: A Hawaiæi Mystery
  • The Amen Sisters: A Novel
  • Going Broke
  • The Climax
  • The Bible Repairman
  • The Case of the Constant Suicides (Dr. Gideon Fell, #13)
  • The Green Woman
Solomon Jones is an Essence bestselling author whose novels include The Gravedigger’s Ball, The Last Confession, Payback, Cream, Ride Or Die, The Bridge, and Pipe Dream. He has appeared on NPR and CNN Headline News, and is a contributor to short story collections including Philadelphia Noir and Liar Liar. Formerly a professor of creative writing at Temple University, Jones is an award-winning colu ...more
More about Solomon Jones...

Mike Coletti (3 books)