Start by marking “Flat-Out Love (Flat-Out Love, #1)” as Want to Read:
Flat-Out Love (Flat-Out Love, #1)

Flat-Out Love

(Flat-Out Love #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  54,340 ratings  ·  5,266 reviews
Flat-Out Love is a warm and witty novel of family love and dysfunction, deep heartache and raw vulnerability, with a bit of mystery and one whopping, knock-you-to-your-knees romance.

It's not what you know—or when you see—that matters. It's about a journey.

Something is seriously off in the Watkins home. And Julie Seagle, college freshman, small-town Ohio transplant, and the
Published April 11th 2011 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about Flat-Out Love, please sign up.
Nadia No, if I have to answer in one word. No, if I explain it in more words as well but it's complicated. There's no love triangle but it might feel like…moreNo, if I have to answer in one word. No, if I explain it in more words as well but it's complicated. There's no love triangle but it might feel like there is one while you read the book. It's not possible to explain without giving away spoiler. But trust me when I say that this book has no love triangle.(less)
K Elizabeth What aspects of the book do you like? I can't think of anything exactly like it; but if you tell me what you like about this book I can make some…moreWhat aspects of the book do you like? I can't think of anything exactly like it; but if you tell me what you like about this book I can make some recommendations based on that info.
(less)
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireEasy by Tammara WebberFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesThoughtless by S.C. StephensWalking Disaster by Jamie McGuire
College Romance
1,303 books — 8,168 voters
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesHopeless by Colleen HooverThe Fault in Our Stars by John GreenSlammed by Colleen Hoover
Best Book Boyfriends
8,502 books — 26,349 voters

More lists with this book...

Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
The first review I wrote consisted almost entirely of incoherent gushing. This one is pretty much like that, but I did manage to include some useful info. Don’t expect much, though. I can’t remember the last time I felt this way about a book.

As a dedicated reader, I don't think I've ever connected to a story quite this much. There are so many books that are close to my heart for some reason or other, but there was never one so achingly familiar and mine. And it wasn’t just one character that I
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

Congrats, Flat-Out Love. Welcome to the very limited circle of books I hated. Say hello to The Perfect Game for me, would you?

Buddy read with Kat (click to read her review), who saved my sanity (thanks for the support through this!!)

But because my inner circle of doom rewards its members as they deserve, let's start with little awards, 'kay?

But first of all........ Music!

► It comes as no surprise that Julie easily earns the most insufferable ès judgmental heroine medal for her endless efforts
Colleen Hoover
May 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There was way too much yodeling in this book, but other than that, it's one of the best books I've read in this genre. I highly recommend it. I think Jessica Park is a very talented author. She writes good. Or is it well? (That's why I'm a reviewer and not an author.)

xrysa
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to xrysa by: La-Lionne
Shelves: contemporary
The truth is that when I started reading this I expected a romance story.

But I wasnt disappointed , because this was awesome!

How would you feel if your apartment deal fell through ?

That would be bad...
Fortunatelly Julie's mother contacts with an old college friend , so Julie is moving at their home.

The Watkins seem to be a weird family with many secrets that Julie discovers during the book.However the oddest thing of all is Celeste , the youngest member of this family.

She wasn't crazy , she was
Limonessa
Aug 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chick-lit, favorites
Have you ever...

-got a crush on a penfriend you never or barely met?
-pined a whole year - or more - for your summer crush?
-fallen in love with the idea of someone, idolizing him/her and thus making him/her perfect?

In other words:

Have you ever fallen in love with LOVE?

If you've recognized yourself in any of these questions, then this is the book for you.

Julie is from Ohio but she's starting college in Boston. When she arrives to find the apartment she thought she rented to be a total scam, her l
Karla
Only .99 on Amazon 12/31/12, and if you haven't read it...it's definitely worth checking out!

5 HUGE STARS! Incredible book, from an incredible talent...I LOVED it!

Nothing flat about this book at all, it’s bursting at the seams with delightful characters, raw emotion, terrific dialogue, humor and heartache. This is a beautifully written unconventional love story. It’s hard to put into words how much this book touched me. Jessica Park is one of those extraordinary writers that draws you in and ha
Nina
May 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Ugh. Could not bring myself to finish this book. Julie, the main character, started to annoy me from Chapter 2 onwards. But this got a lot of high ratings so I gave it a shot and soldiered on, but even after 100+ pages in, I still could not see why it's supposed to be good. Julie is the kind of person who will never be my friend if she existed in real life.

Almost each chapter began with a Facebook status of each of the three leads, but more often than not these didn't even have anything to do wi
Stacia (the 2010 club)
*Update 06/12* My thoughts have changed about the book and my rating has been lowered. I am unable to explain why though, due to reasons which are not allowed to be stated because they are in conflict of GR policy of what is/is not allowed in a review.

*Original Review for the book 10/11*

Flat-Out Love definitely falls more on the "girly" side, but I enjoyed it almost as much as I enjoyed Anna and the French Kiss.

The story follows a girl named Julie who is swindled out of her money when she gets
Bibi
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing about this book is predictable

Sniff. Just read the other glowing reviews because I’m at a loss for words. But should anyone see Ms Jessica -I’m going to break your heart then glue it back- Park, tell her readers have feelings too. Sniff.
Aestas Book Blog
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wow! I absolutely FLAT-OUT LOVED this book!!!

"...that's what love does to you. Gut-wrenching, overpowering, crushing, fulfilling, complex, bring-you-to-your-knees love."

It was beautiful!! It kept me hooked right from the beginning. It was amazing, heart warming and a little heart wrenching, with light and funny moments, as well as deeply emotional ones. The dialogue was clever and witty and had me laughing out so many times. But this book was not a fluff read - it was deep, touching, and bit
Elizabeth (Liz)
Goodreads asks me, 'What did you think?'. How in the world do I appropriately, adequately, answer that question with regard to Flat-Out Love by Jessica Park?! I'm certainly no author; I'm not even a 'real' reviewer. So, how do I put into words just how much I love this story and admire the talent and sheer genius of Jessica Park?

I don't do plot summaries, as should be more than evident by now. It's easy enough to read the summary and decide for yourself if this sounds like something that might i
 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~*
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Recommended to Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* by: Karla
Shelves: young-adult, ebook
(This is an Adult-who-enjoys-reliving-the-stirrings-of-first-love-and-self-discovery-during-the-teen-years-through-YA books review ^_^)

5 + Stars!

Also reviewed at: Lady Jayne's Reading Den

WOW. I FLAT-OUT LOVE this book by self-published author, Jessica Park!!!

This quote sums up how this book made me feel, how it inspired me through my journey with it, and even after I reluctantly closed its pages...

I’ve been struggling with my reading lately and I wanted a story that would really captivate me
Shannon
Jan 05, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Never, in a million years, will I read this book.
Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
*5 Stars!*

Flat Out Love was such a beautiful, touching, and heartfelt story that left me sorting out my feelings for days before I could properly sum them up.

I won't go into details over plot, as there is an extreme twist that I would hate to reveal, but I will say that I loved every little bit of this unique story! The characters were lovable and life-like, and I fully enjoyed their witty back-and-forth banter and charming dialogue. There were some moments, however, where I felt there could ha
Anniebananie
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In weniger als 24 Stunden verschlungen, das ist mir auch schon lange nicht mehr passiert und das ganze obwohl ich grad noch mitten in der Prüfungsphase in der Uni stecke. Allein daran lässt sich schon erkennen wie gut mir das Buch gefallen hat. Ich fand die Geschichte einfach so niedlich und auch einfach berührend. Abgesehen davon war sie auch skurril und witzig. Der Schreibstil war dem ganzen auch angemessen und lies sich flott lesen. Auch die Charaktere mochte ich alle furchtbar gern und das E ...more
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness (On Hiatus)
★★★★★ 5 stars★★★★★

"I don't want this to end. I don't want to land and reach the real world, because I like our world up here better.”

This book,is one of those many fabulous books,with story-lines that stick with you for a life time.The best thing about this book was that the characters are so uniquely damaged.Even with all their tortured past and bizarre habits,I loved how the characters managed to pass off as fun and quirky.More like in a Alice-in-wonderland style.

I loved how the author,Jessi
Robin (Bridge Four)
Sale Alert for $1.99 on Amazon 20Dec17 here

Flat Out Love was Flat out Fun.

Sometimes you just need a book to relax with and have a good time. Something that you can just enjoy the feeling of the book and not have to think about it. This is that kind of story for me. There is enough quirkiness that I’m entertained but there is also just this feel good feeling to it overall that I enjoyed.

This book reminds me that there are New Adult books out there that are about the journey than just about some
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**spoiler free review**

HOLY CRAP I LOVED THIS BOOK!

I did not expect for this book to so thoroughly blow my mind. Mind officially blown.

description

I feel like this review should be very witty because the book is so smartly written. It really took me by surprise. I've read so many insipid YA books that to read one that is written so carefully and so thoughtfully is like a shock to my system.

A quick plot summery: A girl (Julie) starts college in Boston but finds herself without a place to live, and ends up
Taryn

This review was posted at My Secret Romance

I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed this story. When I first read the blurb, I thought, ok, this sounds kind of cute. I added it to my must-read-list. I didn't think twice of it until a friend messaged me on here and told me she had it to lend, via Kindle. After just reading Beautiful Disaster, I needed something wildly different. And boy oh boy was this different, but in such a wonderful way.

For me, this book was strangely entertaining to the point whe
BookLover
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure - I picked up this book a gazillion years ago and it got buried in my to-read pile. As is my style, I began reading it because of the pretty cover WITHOUT actually reading the description and reminding myself what it was going to be about.

This was such a unique story. Julie was off to college far away from home and excited to experience new things. She didn’t anticipate getting ripped off and having no place to live. Cue Erin, an old friend of her mother’s, who stepped in, via h
Ari
Wait for me while i catch my breath..
(minutes passing, hours passing, days passing...)

Ok, here we go, but I don't promise that my review will make much sense to you.
So I'll start by saying that I really need to read this book again!

My Thoughts:
This book took me completely by surprise.
It seemed like a really light read, but in fact it is the complete opposite. I guess that these days I'm really easy to trick, but I love surprises, and I love how this story turned out.

Think about it this way:
Imag
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Ugh. Honestly the book was pretty good but I just can't handle contemporaries (only rarely) and ESPECIALLY ones that deal with heartbreaking issues like these. I'm just dealing with too many issues in my own life with health/etc and I just can't handle books like these very well. They are too real/hit too close to home - where as fantasies are just easier for me to bear even when they have sad themes.

Ignore my rating, because I really don't know what to rate this. Maybe it hits somewhere on the
Whitney
This is the forth book I have read from Jessica Park. It is safe to say that she is now on my favorite authors list. You can always count on her to sucker-punch you right in the feels. And you know that I'm all about that angst. She likes to take her readers on an emotional rollercoaster ride. She starts us at the very bottom so that the only other direction we can go is down. Trust me, your heart will plummet. Your stomach will drop. And tears may fall.

So we've pulled the chute, and we're dri
Hannah
Nov 30, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm rating this book 3.5 stars.I have mixed thoughts on this book. I liked the characters but only loved Celestes character. This book could be funny at times and was overall nice. I think the reason this book wasn't all there for me was because of the puppy type love. I personally don't prefer that type of romance. But It wasn't bad either. It was just okay. The chats that happened between "Finn"and Julie were a nice touch. But again I couldn't personally fall in love with someone on facebook. ...more
Catie
Aug 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Catie by: Flannery
Shelves: read-in-2011, romance, ya

I think that this is a great example of self-publishing gone right. There is a lot to love here: a pretty steamy epistolary romance, a lot of nice tension, some hilarious social media based humor, and unique and eccentric characters that I love. Unfortunately, there are just so many things that turned me off personally in this book. However, if you are looking for a main stream romance with more depth than average, then I think that you should give this a chance.

Julie is eighteen years
Abbi Glines
Nov 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great story. I would have probably enjoyed it more if I hadn't figured out the "twist" by chapter three. If you haven't read it then stay away from reviews. I read several reviews and because of that I just KNEW what was going to happen once Flat Finn made his appearance.
Leslie
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
WOW!! I cannot even begin to tell you how much I was captivated and enthralled by this story! The writing flowed realistically throughout with brilliant character development and the, OMG, knock-you-to-your-knees lovestory was undeniable!

When Julie realizes her "Craig's-List" apartment is really a burrito stand, she's desperate and as luck would have it, her mother's old college roommate, Erin Watkins, fortunately invites her to move in. It's close the her college and would be free! (What's not
Samantha Young
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks-i-own, indie
Flat-Out love is more than a love story between two people. Although there is romance, Jessica Park’s contemporary YA novel for me was more about the love of a family, and the lengths people will go to, to help the ones they love.

If you do work out the twist from the beginning of Flat-Out Love, I promise you it won’t detract from your enjoyment of the story. If you don’t work it out, then you’re in for a clever and heart-squeezing ride. The heroine Julie is a likeable college Freshman who descen
Joana
Oct 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2011
I found this book boring. Nothing really happened and the mystery (?) was way too obvious. The humor and witty dialogue were really forced, and all the characters had the same personality.

It's alright for a self-published book though. Just so boring.
Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish)
God awful, bratty BBA, who thinks "friendship" means attacking people for not liking your friend's horrendous abuse book.

This author and her little friend Jamie McGuire find it fun to gang up on people who had the audacity to not like their books. So they troll Amazon and tag team negative reviewers of their books. Some links.

Even Dear Author mentions her behavior.

But that doesn't stop her. No, to prove that Goodreads users are awful for saying that she attacks reviewers, she, well, no surprise
Cait
Aug 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This review can also be found on my blog, Cait's Corner

Wow. Before I start this review, I'm going to do a little fan-girl gushing: this book was soooo amazing and wonderful and flat-out (haha I'm punny as a fan-girl) stupendous that if you don't have this book on your to-read list, put it on there now.........

Hahahahah I'm just kidding

But seriously.

Let me start off this review with the characters, because they are so incredibly real to me. I feel like I could walk out of my house and th
Leea
Nov 11, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Leea by: Stacia (the 2010 club)
Updated June 20th 2012

I can no longer look past Jessica Parks bad behavior when it comes to negative reviews. This seems to be a theme among authors now days. It's wrong, readers have the right to review books in the manner they choose. I review books here on Goodreads for myself and to help my friends make educated book selections.

I feel like i'm being forced to downgrade my rating of Flat-Out Love because of this bad behavior and it's very frustrating. My hope is that Ms. Park can change her
Karin Falkner
Zwei Drittel des Buches dachte ich mir: Okay ganz nett. Aber dann, im letzten Drittel passierte auf einmal so viel und ich war unglaublich froh, dass ich dem Buch eine Chance gegeben hatte.Es gab nichts mehr, was mich gestört hätte. Ganz im Gegenteil, die letzten Seiten waren richtig toll. Für die teilweise extrem witzigen Dialoge und die Entwicklung am Schluss würde ich fünf Sterne vergeben.
Smitten's Book Blog

My Casting: Finn, Julie & Matt

4 STARS

Ok, I imagine this is going to be a little difficult to write without spoilers, but let's see how we go.

I have so many books on my Kindle that I haven't read, so I'm trying to make my way through some of them, rather than just reading the newest releases all the time.

I really don't know how to rate this book. Part of me loved it... It was intriguing, original, the characters are fabulous and it's so well written. I adore the surrounding cast, I love the
♥Rachel♥
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Update 5/3/13: I'm giving away a copy of Flat-Out Love and Flat-Out Matt on the blog. Stop by for a chance to win!

I can’t say enough good things about this story! It was amazing! It has witty, intelligent humor, quirky, lovable characters, a very swoon worthy romance, and a mystery!

Julie Seagle has just moved to Boston as a freshman starting college but the apartment she rented in advance turns out to be a sham and Julie has nowhere to go. Julie’s mom calls in a favor from an old college friend,
Ashley - Book Labyrinth
I loved this book! I loved it so much that I had to tweet about it after finishing it. I loved it so much that I’m already considering how long I should wait before re-reading it. Yes, I loved it that much. There was just a really special feel about this book. It totally gripped me in this really interesting way, and I hope that my descriptions can do it justice.

What I really loved about this book is that it is the perfect mix of family issues and love and romance. It is filled with impecible ch
Janina
Aug 25, 2011 rated it did not like it
After having this on hold for several months, I think I can now safely say I will never finish it. I simply cannot sympathise with a heroine who thinks so lowly of others because of their style of clothing, especially if they are so very nice to her. As a lot of my friends loved this book, though, I always wanted to get back to it and try again.
But franky speaking, I am not inclined to give an author who posts stuff like this on the internet a second chance.
Seda
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

📚”Eee... beni görmek isteyen sadece Celeste mi?”
“Bütün ailen istiyor.”
“Sadece bütün ailem mi?”
“Seni çok özleyen kız arkadaşın da istiyordur herhalde?”
“Belki.”
Julie duraksadı. Bu ihtimali daha önce düşünmemişti ama nedense, Finn’in bir kız arkadaşı olması fikri hiç hoşuna gitmiyordu. Yani kıskanmaya hakkı yoktu. Ama kıskanmıştı.
“Ama kız arkadaşım yok. Demek ki gelmemi sadece çılgın ailem istiyor. Hayal kırıklığına uğradığımı itiraf ediyorum.”
Julie’nin ağzı kulaklarına vardı.
“Ziyarete gelecek olu
Nomes
Flat-out love has an effortless writing style which makes for a breezy, quick read. The writing is sharp and quietly quirky and the characters are really quite different to any I have come across in YA recently.

It's hard for me to think of comp books for Flat-out love as it really was rather unique (not only in plot, but also in writing style). The vibe of this book was more about family than romance (I had assumed it would be more about the first love/long-distance crush bit).

I figured out the
Larnacouer  de SH
Bugüne dek kitabın yüzüne bile bakmayışımın tek nedeni tamamen ismi yüzündendi. Öyle ki yine nefret ettiğim vıcık vıcık hikayelerden biriyle karşılaşacağımı düşünmüştüm, yanılmışım hemde ne yanılmak!
Kitapta tanıştığım insanlar; mizah anlayışı, naifliği, sevecenliğiyle en sevdiğim kitap karakterleri arasında yer edindi bile.

Benim gibi düşünüp okumayı erteleyen ya da reddeden varsa şans versin derim. Gerçekten çok beğendim. :')
Andrea
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Andrea by: Sandy ღCoffee Addict Booksღ
5 STARS

I love love love this book. I know this will sound cheesy, but Flat-Out Love is the first book in a long, long time that has touched me this deeply. I could relate to so many aspects of this book.

The story is so refreshing. ..I found myself laughing for most of the part. It took me a while to figure out the "real deal" about the siblings. And I found my self nervously reading the last few chapters.

I loved the characters. Every one of them was unique and had something to just adore.
J
Sandy ღCoffee Addict Booksღ
description
Flat Out Love was smart, romantic, sweet, sad, angsty and extremely FUNNY. I was totally sucked into Julie's world, She was sweet, smart, kind and funny. I loved her desire to fix the broken Watkins house, taking Celeste under her wing and urging Matt to live a bit. I never wanted it to end, just wanted to keep reading more and more about these weird and strangely lovable characters. I loved the quirkiness of all the characters and Geekiness of Watkins. I loved Matt and Julie’s witty back and fo
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
Jun 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book.

I had rated it but not reviewed it which I didn't feel had done it justice.

This book contained some of the most wonderfully crafted characters you could meet.

Loved the FB status updates! They had me giggling out loud at times.

Matt was just adorable and you instantly warm to him. I loved his quirky sense of humour.

I read this in on sitting and what a great read it was. I went through a lot of emotions from laughing to crying and enjoyed this book immensely.

This author definitely
Danielle ❤️ Pretty Mess Reading ❤️
**2 STARS**

I don't feel like reviewing this book so I'll just say, I didn't like it.
Isamlq
Sep 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aaw-yeah, favorites
WIN! WIN! WIN!

I am positively in love with every single one of the characters in FLAT OUT LOVE. Brace, yourselves! I feel an onslaught of gushing coming! About to start a new stage in her life, Julie is quite shocked when her apartment falls through. From the very first page, I knew I was going to like her story. That phone call to her mother alone had me laughing! So when her mother reconnects with a college buddy to set things straight, the future seemed to be looking up for our girl. Only, sh
  • The Sweet Gum Tree
  • Callum & Harper (Sleepless, #1)
  • Dream Chaser
  • That Wedding (That Boy, #2)
  • Good For You (Between the Lines, #3)
  • Junk Miles (Brenna Blixen, #2)
  • Grounding Quinn
  • The Dex-Files (Experiment in Terror, #5.7)
  • Shark Bait (Grab Your Pole, #1)
  • The Boots My Mother Gave Me
  • The Final Piece
  • How to Kill a Rock Star
  • Almost
  • Geek Girl
  • Cross My Heart (Cross My Heart, #1)
  • Sempre (Sempre, #1)
  • Last Flight Out
  • The Journey Begins
Jessica is the author of 180 SECONDS, CLEAR, The Left Drowning Series (LEFT DROWNING and RESTLESS WATERS), the New York Times bestselling FLAT-OUT LOVE (& the companion novella FLAT-OUT MATT), FLAT-OUT CELESTE, and RELATIVELY FAMOUS. She lives in New Hampshire where she spends an obscene amount time thinking about rocker boys and their guitars, complex caffeinated beverages, and tropical vacat ...more

Flat-Out Love (2 books)
  • Flat-Out Celeste (Flat-Out Love, #2)
“If you can't stop thinking about someone's update, that's called "status cling.” 322 likes
“Then she did what any girl would do: she Googled him.” 287 likes