Start by marking “Historical Theology: An Introduction to Christian Doctrine: A Companion to Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology” as Want to Read:

Most historical theology texts follow Christian beliefs chronologically, discussing notable doctrinal developments for all areas of theology according to their historical appearance. And while this may be good history, it can make for confusing theology, with the classic theological loci scattered throughout various time periods, movements, and controversies. In Historical ...more
Published April 24th 2011 by Zondervan (first published April 12th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Historical Theology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Historical Theology

Etienne OMNES
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Cette review est basée sur une lecture incomplète, néanmoins je pense avoir lu assez pour identifier les points forts et faibles de ce livre

Points forts:
-Ils sont rares les livres qui essaient de tout embrasser dans la théologie historique, et donner ainsi un lieu unique pour rechercher les développement doctrinaux sur tel et tel domaine. C'est précieux.
-C'est une bonne idée que d'avoir adopté le même plan que la très répandue systématique de Grudem, de manière à ce que les étudiants "s'y retrou
Nate Claiborne
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
In the end, I am very appreciative of Allison's book and am grateful to have it part of my library. Though we disagree on some minor points, Allison's style and tone are very irenic and expositions of doctrinal positions he disagrees with are fair. His book reflects an academic service to the church that was completed in Christian community and I think it will be a resource that pastors and Bible students will greatly benefit from in their studies.

For the full review, see my blog
Adam Shields
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Short review: I am going to have to work on this in sections. I have finished the introduction and the first section on scripture. What is there is good. But I wish there were more historical context. He narrates the historical changes to the theology well, but does not provide much historical context for why the changes were occuring. But that is a common problem in historical theology. I think his range is also too narrow. There is no orthodox discussion and it is clear his is writing for an E ...more
Jimmy Reagan
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Here’s an excellent help for when you are studying doctrine. Designed as a companion to Wayne Grudem’s “Systematic Theology”, this volume looks beyond what to believe to what has been believed. I fully agree that what has been believed is a wise thing to consider when formulating doctrine. Though this book is technically a textbook, any pastor or Bible student could glean much from its use. It reads much better than a typical textbook too. Mr. Allison must have aced a creative writing class some ...more
Thaddeus
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think this is a good basic introduction to Historical Theology. It's meant as a companion to Grudem's systematic theology - and probably would do well in tandem with it. Allison covers all of the major topics and basics of Church History from a theological standpoint - all the various early church heresies, councils, creeds, schisms, and movements. He traces the historical roots of various theological beliefs and also the roots of some heretical movements.

All in all, it's a great and readable
Curby Graham
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As the title states - this is a companion book to Wayne Grudem's excellent Systematic Theology. However, Allison's work can be read alone or prior to Grudem's.

Historical Theology takes a chronological approach to all the major doctrines such as justification, the Lord's Supper, Baptism, Church polity etc. He gives a definition of the topic then an overview of how the Early Church era, Medieval Church era, Reformation Church era and Modern Era have viewed the doctrine and the challenges still re
Russell Frazier
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I listened to the audio book. As a result, I won't give a full review. However, what I am about to say, I believe, can be said of the published editions. Allison's Calvinism is very evident throughout the book. He does not retain any objectivity.
Caleb Abraham
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didn't read the book but listened to the audio lectures via Audible.
It's an outstandingly clear presentation of key doctrines over the ages.
Being just an introduction, it does not go deep into the matter; so if you've already acquainted yourself with historical Theology, don't bother with this.
Kingsley Layton
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
I found this to be a helpful and worthy companion to Grudem's work. It is worth the effort.
J.R. Coltaine
Apr 23, 2019 rated it liked it
A valuable resource and an easy read, but definitely tailored to its audience. Its more of a defense of Grudem's Systematic Theology through historical theology.
Tony Weedor
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent read

Recommend this book to every Christian, a must read. It should be on every theological student bookshelf! Yes and yes

Aaron Kleinheksel
I originally picked this up both because I was interested in reading an historical theology text, and also because this volume is recommended as a companion to Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine, which I had already read and thoroughly enjoyed.

Though evangelical in orientation, Allison does a good job letting the various voices of history speak for themselves and presenting their views w/out commentary... as it should be, really.

I did have issues w/ Ch. 13 - Doctrine of Pr
Eric
Jul 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Bible study teachers
Very straightforward overview of theology, grouped by issue, with a time line analysis inside each issue. Because historical theology is such a large topic, the book only gives a quick analysis of positions and theologians, even though it is a long book. Since this book is designed, in part, to be a reference resource, it would be much improved if each chapter had a bibliography for that chapter including more in depth works, with explanatory notes rating the supporting references. With the easy ...more
James
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An amazing volume. It was Highly enjoyable to read as he traced the major headings of systematic theology trough church history. He often quotes the same theologians, giving one a very unified understanding of what the brightest thinkers were teaching. My personal favorites were the chapters on Christology. It was stunning and beautiful to see such deep and consistent reflection on Christ over the last 2000 years. A must read.
Darby Hughes
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
Very informative read. I found the chapter on angels and demons the most fascinating, gave me a better idea where many of the unusual concepts about them came from.

It's always helpful to see where my beliefs originate and fit within the larger history of Christianity. I'd definitely recommend this read. I would definitely recommend reading it faster than I did though.
Godly
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent overview of historical development in Christian doctrine over 2000 yrs. Describes how the Church while holding to various view over secondary doctrines yet held and defended consistently the primary doctrines on which the Faith stands or falls. Helpful book to get a big picture snapshot!
Clare Tanner
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: theology enthusiasts, Christians
Recommended to Clare by: Daniel Richardson
Easy read, even for someone with little knowledge of theology. However, I would definitely recommend a full working knowledge of basic Biblical Scripture. The text flows well, with twenty page chapters allowing the reader to have set stopping points to allow for contemplation or prayer.
Charles Williams
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: seminary-stuff
A superb text and a valuable study reference to use as a starting point for deeper reading.
Foye Belyea
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An incredible resource for the anyone who wants to develop an appreciation for and awareness of historical development of christian theology.
Ruth
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed following the development of the major evangelical doctrines as I read this. While not exactly a gripping read, it's still an important one, and it's worth the time invested.
Chris Bundy
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A great companion to Grudem's Systematic Theology. Allison also provides quite an extensive bibliology to continue your own study. Awesome.
D.
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, theology
Great Historical Background to Theological issues; from the beginnings of the church to modern times. Excellent read. Big book, but very enjoyable.
Steven Dyk
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I find this historical view of theology topics to be helpful, revealing how Christians have historically viewed and understood what we believe.
Allen Tsai
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: church-history
A solid introduction for those interested in tracing the development of various Christian doctrine. I appreciated the structure of the book, making it an accessible resource for the future.
Andy Hickman
Thorough historical textook to accompany Grudem's SYSTEMATIC THEOLOGY.

Allison, Gregg R. Historical Theology: An Introduction to Christian Doctrine. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2011.
Stephanie Herron
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very interesting and helpful for the Church History lessons I was preparing.
Matthew B McKee
Thomas L. Huckabay
Aug 10, 2014

• Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Christian Belief
  • A Puritan Theology: Doctrine for Life
  • Believer's Baptism: Sign of the New Covenant in Christ (New American Commentary Studies in Bible & Theology, #2)
  • Evangelical Theology: A Biblical and Systematic Introduction
  • Pilgrim Theology: Core Doctrines for Christian Disciples
  • God's Indwelling Presence: The Holy Spirit in the Old and New Testaments
  • Pillars of Grace, AD 100–1564 (A Long Line of Godly Men, #2)
  • A New Testament Biblical Theology: The Unfolding of the Old Testament in the New
  • The Holy Spirit (Contours of Christian Theology, #6)
  • Systematic Theology
  • Kingdom through Covenant: A Biblical-Theological Understanding of the Covenants
  • The Message of the New Testament: Promises Kept
  • New Dictionary of Biblical Theology: Exploring the Unity Diversity of Scripture
  • Blood Work: How the Blood of Christ Accomplishes Our Salvation
  • The Man Christ Jesus: Theological Reflections on the Humanity of Christ
  • An Infinite Journey: Growing Toward Christlikeness
  • From Heaven He Came and Sought Her: Definite Atonement in Historical, Biblical, Theological, and Pastoral Perspective
  • Dominion and Dynasty: A Theology of the Hebrew Bible
Gregg R. Allison (PhD, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School) is professor of Christian theology at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. He is secretary of the Evangelical Theological Society, a book review editor for the Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, an elder at Sojourn Community Church, and a theological strategist for Sojourn Network. Allison has taught at several colleges ...more
“our only perfect source of doctrine is the Bible itself,” 1 likes
“One of the most recent developments in comprehensive evangelical biblical interpretation was the “redemptive-movement hermeneutic” offered by William Webb.128 He called for evangelicals to move beyond what Scripture teaches and develop an ultimate ethic for the contemporary culture. Wayne Grudem argued that “Webb’s trajectory hermeneutic nullifies in principle the moral authority of the entire New Testament … creates an overly complex system of interpretation … [and] creates a system that is overly liable to subjective influence and therefore is indeterminate and will lead to significant misuse.”129 Indeed, Grudem concluded that Webb’s hermeneutical process was “entirely foreign to the way in which God intended the Bible to be read, understood, believed, and obeyed.”130” 1 likes