Start by marking “A History of Earth in 100 Groundbreaking Discoveries” as Want to Read:
A History of Earth in 100 Groundbreaking Discoveries

A History of Earth in 100 Groundbreaking Discoveries

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  44 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
An illustrated survey of 100 key events in Earth's dramatic history.

A History of Earth in 100 Groundbreaking Discoveries is a fascinating account of the discoveries that reveal why Earth is the one planet in our solar system that can support life. It surveys 100 key events in the evolutionary history of our planet, from its origins and geological formation 4.5 billion
Published August 4th 2011 by Firefly Books

Be the first to ask a question about A History of Earth in 100 Groundbreaking Discoveries

Amanda Witt
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very detailed volume, discussing topics from the beginnings of time through to geology, and various natural disasters.
Each of the 100 topics is only three pages long so this makes for an easy read at times, with the ability to put it down and pick it up again.
Richard Pittman
Aug 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Nice, but it could have been better. The format of the book is to announce a topic, show a one-page relevant photograph, give a few sentences about its meaning and key discovery, then go into greater detail in a 3-page description with a few illustrations. It stuck to this format religiously, but some of the topics really needed more explanation. Also, the illustrations were insufficient. In a book that went into geography, geology, and biology to a great extent, I was often mentally crying out ...more
Pburgh
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's a nice overview of the entirety of earth's history, including speculation of its eventual demise. The 100 chapters are arranged chronologically, but are self-contained, allowing the reader to jump around to topics of greatest interest. The book is generously illustrated, but could use more maps.
Michael Shea
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was inspired to read this book by the games produced by Phil Eklund, Bios Genesis and Bios Megafauna. This was just the kind of survey I needed to skim through Earth's past. It certainly gives the feeling that mankind is an insignificant player in a grand cosmic play, despite our ability to endanger our own species existance through the burning of fossil fuels and global warming.
ZaBeth  Marsh
Excellent reference book if you want to learn more about the Earth. Also scared the heck out of me. Everyone I know will be dead in a billion years but reading about the death of the Sun and my planet still makes me nervous. Nice quick read!
Larry
Dec 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
An amazing overview of the creation of earth and how it and humans evolved. Indicates both the special blessing we have and how insignificant each of us are in the big scheme of things. Very grounding!
Adrianna
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is an amazing reteeling of the Earth's history from its earliest days to today and was an interesting read. I definetly learned many new things!
Sharice George
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed the book. Its great for filling you in on all the most recent developments and discoveries.
Brent Benson