Start by marking “For Time and Eternity” as Want to Read:
For Time and Eternity

For Time and Eternity

(Sister Wife #1)

Published August 7th 2010 by Tyndale House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about For Time and Eternity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For Time and Eternity

Lisa
The author admitted that she browsed ex-Mormon websites and discussion boards for research for this book (as well as talking with her husband, who had been excommunicated from the Mormon church). It shows; this book is extremely biased against the Mormon faith. I am very offended with the way Allison Pittman portrayed Latter-day Saints, and I wish she'd looked to other sources besides the rantings of ex-Mormons for information.

She flat-out called Mormons "liars" and said that Mormons consider Jo
Cheryl
Dec 14, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The author is extremely biased against Mormonism. I don't necessarily believe it either, but it ruined the book for me.
Kristen
Feb 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Was pleasantly surprised at this read. The story is about Camilla Fox a young girl who left a Christian home to marry a Mormon moving to the Great Salt Lake. Her life is filled with her family, teaching of the church, and other saints. She is content until a loss sends her into doubt. As she struggles with what she has been taught over the years her husband, Nathan is also struggling. Camilla's struggle takes her back to her Christian faith while Nathan's takes him deeper in the Mormon religion. ...more
Safire
Nov 04, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Terrible book. She has no idea what she is talking about. Instead of trolling the ex-Mormon websites, she should have included some research in an actual Mormon church. The fact that she did not is glaringly obvious. Poorly done, poorly written.
Cafelilybookreviews

For Time & Eternity, the first book in The Sister Wife series by Allison Pittman, was very interesting to me because I hadn’t ever read a Christian historical fiction novel about Mormon culture. Being raised in Utah, and married to an ex-Mormon, Allison definitely knows her subject matter.

In this book, Allison writes about the Mormon marriage ceremony in great detail and I wondered how she knew so much about the “sacred” and secretive ritual. As part of her research, she spent time in Salt
Lisa Godfrees
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who thinks Mormons are Christian
Have you ever read and book that you think is really important? I can't say that's usually (or ever) what I think when reading books but it sure is what I thought while reading this one. The book is a fantastic read, carefully woven by an adept writer. But the subject matter is just so important in this day and time.

Camilla flees her strict God-fearing parents to follow a young man, Nathan Fox, who is part of a Mormon group going to settle in Utah in the late 1800's. Things work well for the cou
Jenny
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I picked this up when it was free on Kindle. It wasn't the sort of book I would normally read as it was listed as historical Christian romance, but I was intrigued by the early Mormon polygamist storyline so thought I would take a chance. I was pleasantly surprised.

This certainly wasn't what I would generally term romance, it was more the story of a relationship and although there was a Christian element, it was more to do with the main character Camilla's upbringing and faith than any attempt
Amy
Nov 11, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My only defense in reading this was that it was free on Kindle. The author is extremely biased against the LDS church. She says she went to forums and talked to many ex-LDS members. Um...do you really think that is your best source of information? She wrote the main guy, Nathan to be a huge egotistical jerk who only cares what God thinks of him. The LDS community that the main character lives in is full of crazy people who yell from the pulpit and outright and in from of everyone tell you your a ...more
Jocelyn Green
This was one of the most engrossing reads I've enjoyed this year. I seriously could not read fast enough to suit me. Allison Pittman continues to impress me with her versatility, integrity, and storytelling prowess. This particular story slayed me, for reasons you can probably guess if you've read the book description. Talk about high stakes--you can't get any higher than eternity! The author's note about her research and purpose at the end of the novel was illuminating. I would gush more about ...more
☼Shannon☼
Since becoming exmormon I've been loath to use the term "antimormon" but I'll use it for this book.

I was intrigued by protests of the author's use of exmormon forums for research. Despite this I ended up disappointed with the author's "research". The mormonism she portrayed was only somewhat accurate. For instance, Mormons do in fact read the bible. The author clearly had an antimormon pro-christian agenda and cherry picked what she chose to portray to make the mormons look bad.

I wouldn't even
Elizabeth
Jun 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This book by Allison Pittman was my favorite read this year. Seriously, I loved it! It was one of those books that I carried around the house with me...every few minutes mattered. I think my 3 year old was neglected for, like, 3 days when I was reading this book. {grin}

I’m a pretty avid Historical Fiction reader and a Pittman fan, so when I heard that she was writing a book based on the history of the Mormon church, I was instantly intrigued. Two words consumed my mind...

Plural marriage!

I have
Victor Gentile
Sep 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Allison Pittman in her new book, "For Time & Eternity" Book One in The Sister Wife series published by Tyndale gives us an insight into the Mormon culture in a brand new and unique manner.

In 1850 Iowa at the Deardon dairy farm and Camilla Deardon hears the Mormons singing from their camp nearby. Even though she is a Christian and her father warns her to stay away from them it is the music and the sound of the familiar songs that draws her to their camp. It is there that she meets Nathan Fox
Rachel Brand
Oct 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I sped through this book in about 48 hours, and I'm not entirely sure what to write about it. I can't think of any flaws, but I think it'll take a while for the entire story to sink in. I don't often rush out and buy the sequel (student on a budget!) but I might just do that with this book. I adored Camilla's growth and her spiritual revelations felt so believable. Experiencing Camilla's growth alongside her and her struggles with the doctrine of her faith was both fascinating and heart-breaking ...more
Eva Seyler
Nov 10, 2011 rated it liked it
I really don't read much fiction any more, especially Christian fiction, which I have a general personal vendetta against - but because it was free on Kindle and about a topic I'm intrigued with at the moment (Mormonism), I gave it a read.

It was interesting. In fact, I liked it more than I thought I would - it wasn't well-written, but made a lot of interesting points. I think the part that stood out to me most was the part where Kimana (the Native American maid) makes the point to the main chara
Nancee
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story of Camilla Deardon is expertly documented as she leaves her Christian roots behind to follow the love of her life into the unknown territory of the Mormon Church. This novel is very well researched, and is an education into the mores of the Mormon faith. Character development is excellent, and the comparisons in the beliefs and practices in the Christian faith as compared to those of the Mormon church are precise. The beliefs of the Mormon faith are depicted in a factual manner, and wr ...more
Sep 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From my book review blog Rundpinne.

"For Time & Eternity is the first book in Allison Pittman’s The Sister Wife Series. I have been fortunate enough to review other works by Pittman so it was with eagerness I began For Time & Eternity. Pittman takes the reader back to 1850 Iowa where young Camilla Deardon is being raised in a devoutly Christian household and yet is lured to the sounds of singing, which would be the Mormons making their way to Salt Lake City. Pittman captures the emotion
Ruth
Nov 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
I debated back and forth between two stars and three. The circumstances driving the plot alone deserve a good rating just because this is a fantastic set-up for some fantastic conflict, both internal and external. It's also in the story's favor that it's a love story, but not necessarily a romance (rare in the Christian chick-lit genre).

Sadly, although I didn't overtly dislike the book, neither the writing nor the development rate three stars. I do, however, offer Pittman kudos for doing someth
Jan 11, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book quite a bit although my heart ached for Camilla. The author made my emotions come alive while reading and as much as this book made me frustrated, happy, anger, sad, warm and confused (i didn't understand mormon) it was an excellent read. I would recommend this book to any person that likes religious/Christian books. Even Mormon religion. Just prepare yourself for the ride and I can't wait to read the next book.
Sarah Paul
I struggled with this book because I felt it got way too preachy. I understand that it is a Christian fiction book, but it was heavy handed. I have a hard time enjoying a book when the author is constantly interrupting the flow of the story in order to push her message. Perhaps the books later in the series are more refined, but I don’t think I will put myself through reading them to find out. The ending is very bizarre and doesn't fit with the retrospective aspect of the begining of the book.
June
Feb 11, 2013 rated it liked it
This had promise-knowing the subject matter i tried to keep
an open mind but seeing how the heroine changes in the book
made this difficult to do. The plot itself twists and turns
so much that it becomes a strain to read it through.
The ending well....felt like i was dropped off the edge
of a cliff with no warning.
Nanette Johansen
May 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Well written, however the subject matter disturbed me. It's a take on a controversial part of Mormon history from an outside perspective (non-mormon)...which I am always open to...however, I didn't love the ending and was left feeling very unsettled. Then again...I'm the fairy-tale-ending-romantic at heart.
Camille
From my blog: http://books-camilleelise4.blogspot.com

For Time & Eternity by Allison Pittman

I was lucky enough to snag this when it was a Kindle Freebie on Amazon. If you were lucky enough to get it too, I highly recommend you read it now!

Camilla Deardon knows very little of the Mormons camped nearby her home, except that her parents have warned her to stay far away. And that her parents do not consider the Mormons Christian.

Camilla, who is being raised in a very religious household, studies
JONATHAN NICHOLS
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great Page Turner

I was hooked on this story from the very first chapter. I could not put the book. Down until I had finished it. As soon as I was done, I bought the sequel.

This was an awesome story that just pulls you right in. I highly recommend it and the follow-up, Forsaking All Others.
Apple Rhaine
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like how the author writes the story in historical form. It really captivates me because of the twists--I hardly recover. Awaiting for book two to be free, huhu.
Laura Carter
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a very quick read. It was intriguing and heartfelt. I was drawn into the characters and when I wasn't reading it, I was thinking about it.
When I was looking at this book I read the reviews, like I usually do. It seemed odd to me that there was such a large contrast; there were mostly 4 or 5 stars, and 1 or 2 starts. Very few 3's in the middle. The 4 and 5's loved the book, said it haunted them. One reviewer even said she read the book a year ago and still remembered every detail.
Janet Merrell
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
Really interesting book about the early Mormon church and their beliefs. Love the author's first person POV voice. I find it easy to read and it makes the main character more relatable. Does end with a cliffhanger, so I will be reading the next soon.
Shari Larsen
Nov 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
All Camilla Deardon knows of the Mormons camping nearby is the songs she hears floating on the breeze. Then she meets one of them—a young man named Nathan Fox. Never did she imagine he would be so handsome, so charming, especially after Mama and Papa’s warnings to stay away. Though she knows she should obey her parents, Camilla can’t refuse her heart. But even Nathan’s promises cannot prepare her for what she will face in Utah. (Product description from Amazon).

This story opens in 1850, during t
Terri
Feb 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
Misleading and many things written are not in truth.

I began this book enjoying the story line of two faiths in the same vicinity of area. The further I read, I discovered many things written about to not be as the truth in that time period and with the Pioneering time. I did finish the book but was left feeling very misled and confused at the scenarios being so far from the truth.
Sep 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Title: FOR TIME AND ETERNITY
Author: Allison Pittman
Publisher: Tyndale
August 2010
ISBN: 978-1-4143-3596-4
Genre: Inspirational/historical

A group of Mormons are camping near Camilla Deardon’s family’s farm, and the whole town is in an uproar. They want this group of thieving cult members to move on, and the Mormons agree…soon. They are on their way to Salt Lake City, Utah.

When Camilla is on her way to school one day, she meets Nathan Fox and she is smitten. He walks her to school—but steals the che
Felicia Ng
I read this book NOT knowing that it was a book encouraging Christianity. I thought it just so happened to be a romance with Christianity & Mormons as the background. In some sense, my misunderstanding caused me quite a great deal of disappointment because it focused more on the issue of "Christianity Vs Mormonism(?)" rather than just the emotional pain the main character was going through and it ended on such a vague note that i have no idea what happened to the woman -- did she go back to ...more

• On Sparrow Hill
  • The Faith of Ashish (Blessings in India, #1)
  • Love Finds You in Homestead, Iowa
  • Griselda Takes Flight (Bright's Pond #3)
  • Highland Blessings (Highlands #1)
  • The Glory of Green (Green #3)
  • Prairie Rose (A Town Called Hope, #1)
  • A Time to Heal (Quilts of Lancaster County, #2)
  • Lie Down in Green Pastures (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #3)
  • Ransomed Dreams (Side Roads #1)
  • Steppin' Into the Good Life
  • Dead Reckoning
  • The Brotherhood (Precinct 11, #1)
  • Delivery
  • Sweet Baklava
  • Before the Season Ends (Forsythe, #1)
  • Heart of Stone (Irish Angel, #1)
  • The Deuce (Midtown Blue #1)
Allison Pittman is the author of For Time and Eternity, Stealing Home, the Crossroads of Grace series, and her nonfiction debut, Saturdays With Stella. A high-school English teacher, she serves as director of the theater arts group at her church. She is also the co-president of a dynamic Christian writers group in the San Antonio, Texas area, where she makes her home with her husband and their thr ...more

Sister Wife (2 books)
  • Forsaking All Others (Sister Wife #2)