Start by marking “Ketchup Clouds” as Want to Read:
Ketchup Clouds

Ketchup Clouds

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  11,239 ratings  ·  1,570 reviews
Secrets, romance, murder and lies: Zoe shares a terrible secret in a letter to a stranger on death row in this second novel from the author of the bestselling debut, My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece.

Fifteen-year-old Zoe has a secret—a dark and terrible secret that she can't confess to anyone she knows. But then one day she hears of a criminal, Stuart Harris, locked up on
Published December 27th 2012 by Orion (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Ketchup Clouds, please sign up.
DerBericht At the end she watched the sunset with a boy (no spoiler) and the clouds were red so she called them ketchup clouds.
Universa Red Maybe she changed name because Zoe always writes 'yours truly' but it doesn't meet the concept of the book. Zoe always talks about things fading into…moreMaybe she changed name because Zoe always writes 'yours truly' but it doesn't meet the concept of the book. Zoe always talks about things fading into nothing. If people didn't know the title of the book they wouldn't think of Dot talking about ketchup clouds as a point of interest almost as if it 'Fades into nothing' so I think personally believe Annabel Pitcher changed the name so people would find the moral understanding of the book without it being directed at them .I think if all writers did this maybe we would all connect with the books a bit more but then again we wouldn't know what they were about.(less)
Undone by Cat ClarkeLegacy by C.J. DaughertyGeek Girl by Holly SmaleAcid by Emma PassDeadly to Love by Mia Hoddell
UK YA in 2013
165 books — 332 voters
The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick NessHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingNoughts & Crosses by Malorie BlackmanHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Best #UKYA Books
569 books — 397 voters

More lists with this book...

·  11,239 ratings  ·  1,570 reviews

Idarah
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"...my stomach ached with disappointment at the familiarity of it all. Humans. We're all the same. There's no escaping it...Doesn't matter what language you speak or what clothes you wear. Some things don't change. Families. Friends. Lovers. They're the same in every city in every country in every continent of the world."

If you're a Netflixter, then you're aware of the unique rating algorithm that essentially takes the guess work out of whether you will love or hate a movie based on your past
Malia
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, best-of-2018
KETCHUP CLOUDS
This book had been on my tbr for AGES, and when I recently came across it in my library, I thought now is as good a time as any to give it a try, especially as I had been binging crime fiction and needed a little break.
Ketchup Clouds is not an easy book to describe. It's got elements of a coming-of-age story, a mystery, romance and a dose of strangeness pervading the pages. I was surprised that it was considerably more melancholy than I expected. In the beginning, I thought it was
Jo
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: e, 2013
So, I have to admit, I’m extremely underwhelmed by this book. I’ve never read My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece but I’ve heard it’s great. It never really appealed to me though, I’m not sure why.

But Ketchup Clouds appealed to me, really it did. I was captivated by the gorgeous cover, the wonderful title and the intriguing synopsis.

I guess you know what they say: you shouldn’t judge a book by a gorgeous cover, a wonderful title and… well, you get the gist.

This was such a disappointment. There wa
Elizabeth
Dec 20, 2013 rated it did not like it
Immature and childish story about a teen girl caught between two brothers. I am obviously not the target audience for this one.

No idea what the title is about.
Stephen Robert Collins
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This an award winning YA book it's a mystery, with plot twisting turns that lot of so called adult books don't have.
I had hard time thinking that this YA but at over 50 ys old I wish that there been books available like this when I was 14 but by time I was 7ys I read Agatha Christie & most of Dennis Whately At 11'
Charlie
Trigger warning: Sexual consent issues. Slut shaming. Sexual coercion. Talk of domestic violence leading to death. (view spoiler)

Synopsis:
Someone is dead. Zoe says she's responsible for his death. The narrative is insistent we won't find out who or how for far too long, like, all the damn book (leading to awkward reminises about 'The Boy' and 'Her Son'). I'm calling this the GIANT AWFUL SECRET
Sarah Churchill
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Please can Dot be my little sister?!
Temilouise
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, ketchup clouds. After reading this book I still do not know why it is called ketchup clouds. Well not really.

If you are looking for a happy summer read which leaves you in the same way as you were before you started the book then maybe this is not for you.

This book is about a girl and two boys. Yes I know what you're thinking not another love triangle but, it is more a story about a girl finding herself and accepting what she has done. She writes to a man of death row, she does not give h
Marky
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Překvapení!
První kniha roku a rovnou pět hvězdiček?
Páni!

Dočítala jsem to ve tři ráno. A brečela.
Přečtěte si to ♥

G
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why, but I somehow love reading books of the contemporary genre. And for the record (aside from its strange title), I chose Ketchup Clouds because of its cover (haha can't help it) and its interesting synopsis that got me curious all along.

"I've done something wrong and do you know the worst thing? I got away with it."

The main character can't keep her secret to herself any longer, so she decided to tell her story to someone. She introduced herself as Zoe. Her story was told from
Liam
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
( 4.5 stars )

I've had this book for ages and literally knew very little about it but recently I felt an urge to just finally get round to reading it and WOW this book took me by surprise!

The concept and characters all felt so real and I really enjoyed reading this book and seeing how the story unfolded. I can't help but feel as though the ending was slightly anti climatic but it kind of helped make the story seem even more real and interesting!

The family in this book were so so well written and
Maťa
1,5/5

Jop, zas sa vymyká moje hodnotenie ostatným. Nemôžem zato :D
Predovšetkým ma neskutočne vytáčala Zoe, ktorá mala 15, tvárila sa ako dospelá a správala sa tak na 12. Maximálne.
A celkovo... na celej knihe ma zaujímalo len to, kto umrel, nakoľko to autorka odhalí až na konci.
Nehovorím, že to bolo zle, malo to niekoľko skvelých hlášok a prirovnaní, ale proste ma to nebavilo.
Anne
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When Annabel Pitcher's debut novel My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece was published in March last year she really raised the bar for authors of young adult novels and set herself a very very high standard to keep. The novel was shortlisted for numerous awards and was praised by other authors, by the press and by book bloggers.

I was very excited to receive a pre-publication copy of her second novel Ketchup Clouds which will be published by Indigo (an imprint of Orion) at the end of the year.

Ketch
Beatriz
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Overrated.

No es el peor libro del mundo, pero la forma de escribir de la protagonista me desesperaba. A punto estuve un millón de veces de abandonarlo. Encima es tan evasiva durante todo el puto libro. Le estás escribiendo a un convicto, cojones, ¿tienes que esperar hasta el último momento para decirnos quién la palma?

Y el tema del convicto me ha tocado un poco los huevos como se trata... A lo mejor es por la traducción, no sé, pero el tío lo condenan a muerte por matar a su mujer (y a su vecina
Erik Fazekas
Kečupové oblaky sú pre mňa tento rok najúprimnejšia a najautentickejšia výpoveď tínedžerského rozprávača.
Keď som knihu otváral, nič som od nej nečakal. Čakal som niečo príjemné a v pohode, veď predsa aj tak o knihe nikto nikdy nepočul.

Annabel Pitcher ale vie písať. Vie zachytiť to, aké decké skutočne sú.
Román je písaný v listoch, ktoré píše hlavná hrdinka väzňovi v cele smrti. Napísať dobrý román v listoch je naozaj ťažké. A toto sa podarilo, už len ako hneď nazačiatku napíše, že bude rozhovo
Kimberly Ho
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4.5/5

This book. Just wow. I could honestly say I connected INSTANTLY to the character's voice. The whole mystery surrounding who she killed and why she killed was just intense. I couldn't put it down once I started.

This wasn't just one story about Zoe, the main character. It interweaves 3 stories together. Zoe, Stuart's, and Dot's. The plot and story line was fast paced and makes you ponder why, what, how, when.

I didn't really like the ending to Zoe's part. The way it ended was just uns
Vendea
Nehorázné překvapení... Naprosto mne nadchla jediná věta na obale... Musela jsem... a bylo to naprosto boží. Citlivý, skvěle napsaný příběh s autentickou hlavní hrdinkou a zajímavým námětem. Byla tam i vážná stránka, což se mi líbilo. A na konci mi i ukápla nějaká ta slza... A je to psané v dopisech. Takové knihy miluju.

4.5/5*
jennyliest
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ein sehr bewegendes Buch!
Stacey (prettybooks)
Ketchup Clouds is a book that had been loitering around my wishlist for while, even though I didn't really know what it was about (ketchup?!) so, because my curiosity got the better of me, I finally checked it out of the library. I wasn't too sure what to expect, but I didn't expect to fall in love with it straight away. Ketchup Clouds is one of those books that makes me tell everyone I know about it (of course, everyone already knew about it since it won the Waterstones Children's Book Prize 20 ...more
Stephanie (Stepping out of the Page)
Since hearing about Ketchup Clouds, I was eager to get my hands on a copy of it! I absolutely loved the sound of the blurb and Annabel Pitcher is one of those authors that I think will always appeal to me - she has the most interesting ideas and a very unique voice.

The whole idea behind this story was something that immediately intrigued me. Our main character, Zoe, has made a big mistake, committed a crime, and has decided that she can no longer keep it to herself, so she decides to let it all
Bang Bang Books
2.5 but it wasn't good enough to bump it up to a 3.
Not what I was expecting.
(view spoiler)
Lynda
"Dear Mr Harris....Ignore the blob of red in the top left corner. It's jam not blood, though I don't think I need to tell you the difference". And so begins the story of 15 year old Zoe, a troubled teen, in letters she writes to Stuart Harris, a convicted murderer on death row in Texas, charged with murdering his wife.

I enjoyed the epistolary structure of the novel. Through her letters Zoe recounts the troubled events of the past year of her life. The intimacy of the letters and the freedom Zoe
Naty
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
4,5*
Ja len....WOW. Nemám slov. To bolo tak pekné, tak reálne, tak neskutočné a neobyčajné....viac neviem...musím sa spamätať.

9.12.
Well...tak teda. Táto kniha ma tak úprimne prekvapila, že som to totálne nečakala. Poznáte ten pocit, keď ten príbeh totálne žijete a spolu s tou hrdinkou dýchate ten istý vzduch? Tak toto je ten prípad. Zoe, dievča s obrovským tajomstvom, ktoré píše listy väzňovi odsúdenému na smrť a pomaly rozpráva príbeh. Svoj príbeh, ktorý nepovedala nikomu. Táto kniha bola totáln
Kluxorious Kluxces
Urgh I suffered through this book. Zoe just pissed me off. She's selfish and such a bitch! Aron is no better. How can you do that to your brother! Jeebus.

I am not going to be coherent with this one. This book doesnt deserved any more attention. It is one of my disappointed reads of 2016.

The style of writing is so immature. Just urgghhhhh

Story 1/5
Character 2/5
Development 3/5
Enjoyment 2/5
Style of writing 2/5
Overall 2/5
Radek
Nebylo to špatné, ale a) nepřináší to do žánru nic nového, b) táhne se to hůř než námořnické lano, c) hlavní hrdinka byla tak nudná, jako je Penny nejhloupější hlavní hrdinkou ve vesmíru.
Booknut
Literary. Perfection.
Juli
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, pop-sugar
Es una novela interesante.
Sigo medio shockeada.
No sé que esperaba de este libro pero sin lugar a dudas superó mis expectativas.

!
Petra Sýkorová
Patnáctiletá Zoe tráví chladné noci jiným způsobem, než aby klidně spala v posteli v pokoji – píše tajně v kůlně na zahradě dopisy Stuartu Harrisovi, usvědčenému vrahovi, který v Texasu čeká v cele na smrt. Mají oba totiž něco společného – oba zabili… jenže Zoe to prošlo.

Cítí, že ji jen Stuart dokáže pochopit a že jen jemu může popravdě vypovědět, co všechno se stalo a co všechno ji tíží na srdci. Doufá, že prostřednictvím dopisů dokáže ulehčit své duši a konečně dojít smíření…

Annabel Pitcher se
Teresa
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Annabel Pitcher’s debut novel My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece was one of my favourite reads of 2011 so I have been keenly anticipating her second novel, hoping that it would engage me and move me in a similar way. Well, it’s a very different type of novel but I’m delighted to report that it packs the same punch as its predecessor.

The novel is composed of a series of letters written by a fifteen year old British girl and addressed to Stuart Harris, a prisoner on Death Row in Texas. Initially,
Aisha
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I first heard about this book from Charley over at CharleyReads on YouTube. When she described the book, I was immediately interested. You don't read much YA that deals with the people in prison.

In Ketchup Clouds, by Annabel Pitcher, the main character, "Zoe", writes to a death row inmate in Texas. She starts writing to him in order to confess the crime she thinks she has committed. The inmate, Stewart Harris, seems to be the only person she can turn to. "Zoe" feels like she has no one else to t
  • Undone
  • A World Between Us
  • Noble Conflict
  • Trouble
  • She Is Not Invisible
  • Paper Aeroplanes (Paper Aeroplanes, #1)
  • Picture Me Gone
Annabel Pitcher studied English at Oxford and has since worked as a script writer and an English teacher. She lives in Yorkshire with her husband. MY SISTER LIVES ON THE MANTELPIECE was her first novel. She is a full-time writer.
“Let's pretend for just one moment that could actually happen. You close your eyes and I'll close mine and let's dream the same dream across the Atlantic, lighting up the darkness between us. Can you see it, Stu? Can you see us up there, shining in all the black?” 52 likes
“That's not how you're going to live, Bird Girl. Not on my account. Spread those strong wings of yours. Fly.” 52 likes