Start by marking “Lucky Penny (Keegan-Paxton #5)” as Want to Read:
Lucky Penny (Keegan-Paxton #5)

Lucky Penny

(Keegan-Paxton #5)

In this stirring novel of the Old West from New York Times bestselling author Catherine Anderson, a desperate woman's impulsive ruse brings a rough-looking stranger into her life...

To support her orphaned niece, impoverished Brianna O'Keefe accepts work with a Colorado rancher. To guard herself from the unwanted attention, she resorts to a harmless little lie: that she's m
Mass Market Paperback, 413 pages
Published January 31st 2012 by Signet (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Lucky Penny, please sign up.
Sharil I am just reading my first series by Catherine Anderson now and have read some Linda Lael Miller books. I mostly read historical fiction though. I…moreI am just reading my first series by Catherine Anderson now and have read some Linda Lael Miller books. I mostly read historical fiction though. I would suggest these authors who write more in the style of Anderson: Jodi Thomas, Joan Johnston, Jill Marie Landis, and Elizabeth Lowell. Julie Garwood, Shannon Drake and Leigh Greenwood also have some very good historical western romances.

I also noted that someone has put this list together of "favorite historical western romances" that you might explore. https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...(less)

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie

5+ SHAMROCK STARS

Don't judge me, lol!
This book was so sweet, so cute, so heartwarming. Notice that I added "so" in front of all the adjectives. Because if you're looking for a heartwarming love story, this is it with side a of absolutely adorable.

This story consumed me, I normally give stories like this wide berth because heartwarming romance isn't really my thing. But I do have a weakness for secret babies, or a couple brought together by a child. I went in completely blind with this one, all I
Auntee
Nov 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of American historicals
Typically beautiful storytelling by Catherine Anderson, with some nice background details and featuring a wonderful father/young daughter relationship that warmed my heart. Not much in the romance department (things didn't get going in that respect until late in the book, which was a bit of a disappointment) but the storytelling almost made up for that.

This is 30 year-old rancher/US marshal David Paxton's (half brother of Ace Keegan -- Keegan's Lady; brother of Joseph Paxton--Summer Breeze; brot
Jessi
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have not found a CA book that I haven't loved, this one was right up there. Her romance books never disappoint when you are in the need for some sweet romance and happiness.

The only part that I didn't like was the Hazel got off way to easy. The witch really need to be punched or worse for what she did. I can't believe she would hit a dog and what she did to Daphne was awful.

Katherine 黄爱芬
Tidak mudah bagi Brianna utk membesarkan Daphne dlm kondisi kemiskinan yg terus mendera hidupnya. Hingga hadirlah David Paxton dlm hidup mereka, bencana yg tidak diharapkan Brianna. Brianna takut David adalah seorang bandit yg akan menjual putrinya. Paranoid Brianna berhasil dituntaskan setelah David membunuh tiga bandit yg mengincar Brianna dan Daphne. Tetapi ketegangan Brianna belum pupus juga, kekhawatirannya makin menjadi-jadi seandainya David mengetahui hal sebenarnya bhw Daphne bukan anak ...more
Sara
Yeah, I gave this one star. Probably gonna get some very odd looks for this, given the rave reviews I've read so far. I wanted to like this one, I really did, but the annoying behavior of the leads ruined any love I may have had for any part of this book.

Brianna redefines prissy. Everything David does is somehow dirty or offensive and I quickly grew tired of her correcting his language and yelling at Daphne that she wasn't allowed to spend time with the man. Of course, David himself was no prize
Jacqueline J
Solid historical read. Appealing hero and heroine. Different historical period than we normally have the chance to read about. The author took a familiar type plot and made some unfamiliar choices having to do with the heroine's honesty. I enjoyed it.
Erin
'Lucky Penny' is really more about family than it is about the hero, David Paxon and the heroine, Brianna O'Keefe falling in love, though that is a part of the story.
Ultimately 'Lucky Penny' is about finding a place to belong,regardless of blood ties and loving people for what they are inside rather than outward appearance or where they come from.
All in all, It was an incredibly sweet book. It's an easy read that gives you the warm and fuzzies by the time you finish it. Definitely worth a read
Amanda
Jan 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
I think I may officially be done with Catherine Anderson. Nothing about this book overly caught my interest, although it was not technically a "bad" book. I was hugely disappointed in the romance - basically not even a kiss for over 300 pages! I felt like I was just plodding through, and actually ended up skimming quite a bit.
Anna Marie
Apr 25, 2013 rated it did not like it
So. Disappointed.

First, I knew going in that I was getting a Catherine Anderson book, but it was historical, so I thought that a) maybe it was written before she lost her ability to write or b) maybe it would be better because it wasn't about her beloved Coulters. I'd read the blurb on Amazon, and decided to try it... and when I got home with the book, y'know what it said on the bottom? "A Coulter Historical Novel." Oh, gag and truss me right now.

The thing about the Coulters that you have to kno
steph
Mar 09, 2012 rated it liked it
So Catherine Anderson is one of two authors I will buy off the shelf (the other is Julia Quinn), with not looking at the reviews or synopsis or anything because hello, it's Catherine Anderson. I was pretty excited when I find out last year that her latest novel was going to be David's story, since Keegan's Lady and Summer's Breeze are untold favorites of mine and I love taking a step back in time to see the Coulter/Keegan family in the 1800's. That said, this book is probably my least favorite o ...more
Marisa
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
In Catherine Anderson’s new historical romance, Lucky Penny, we have a sweet and moving marriage-of-convenience with two unlikely people coming together under unusual circumstances and finding love. Ms. Anderson keeps the old west alive with the continuation of her Coulter/Keegan/Paxton family saga, this time with the story of David Paxton and Brianna O’Keefe. Both David and Brianna are exciting characters, and although they are as opposite as fire and ice, they slowly find their way to each oth ...more
AndreaH
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
Old timey Western.
Irish convent-bred orphan is raising her twin's daughter, moves west and pretends to be a widow. Her boss makes her write letters to pretend husband who is panning for gold in Denver. Letters reach marshal who owns the name of fantasy spouse. He thinks he may have fathered kid while drunk before he took up the straight and narrow. She's uppity and Eastern, he' a cleaned-up saddle-bum with trash mouth. You know where it's going. Ending is a little far-fetched (there's a questio
Pamela(AllHoney)
The fifth book in the Keegan-Paxton series. Catherine Anderson takes us back to the old west with this one. It wasn't a bad read and quite good in comparison to many westerns I've read but not quite up to the enjoyment level I normally expect from her. I loved David Paxton but I was less thrilled with Brianna. While I understood her motives I just thought honesty would have served her better from the start. The story ran a bit slow for me at times.
Tully Ehlers
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loooooooved reading this book. Such sweet story. David is the best after Ace (of course) and Brianna is wonderful. But the little girl, Daphne stole my heart at first. The bond between David and the girl is the sweetest and cutest ever. Catherine Anderson became one of my favorites authors.
Laura Summers
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Reviewed for www.bookchickcity.com

It’s no secret that I’m quite an Anderson fan. LUCKY PENNY is her latest historical novel that weaves the tale of the Coulter family. In general, I think her contemporary books are better, but I can never resist picking up a new release of hers.

The story is of single mother Brianna, who is raising her orphaned sister’s daughter as her own in difficult times. In order to give herself a cover story and measure of respectability, she fabricates a fake husband – Da
The_Book_Queen
The review that follows is a partial review. To read my full review, please visit:
~*~*~
What length would you go to for the sake of family? Would you live a lie, dig out of trash cans for food, pretend to be someone you're not—all so your promise to a dying relative will be upheld? Brianna O'Keefe has done all of these things, and more, for her “daughter”. And she won't give her up, no matter what!

David Paxton, a small town marshal, is surprised when he is
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: January 31, 2013
Series Best Read In Order: Works Well As A Standalone
Steam Level: Steamy
Pet Peeves: Overly-Sacrificing Heroine
Favorite Tropes: Forced Marriage

The romance was very slow building, and was far more family-centered th
Heathy
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
It was tough trying to decide whether to give this book 2 or 3 stars, but after the ridiculous little plot twist at the end, I decided to give it 2.

The book started out okay. It wasn't great, but it kept me interested. I liked the hero for the most part. His cussing was pretty amusing (Jesus Herbert Christ) and he had a faithful dog named Sam, which was quite cute.

The heroine annoyed me to death. She was whiny, she was prissy, and she kept changing her feelings about the hero every other page. M
Issa
By no means Catherine Anderson's best. Brianna was annoying, her pride getting in the way of what was best for her daughter, it seemed she thought being on the edge of eating from garbage better than accepting help. Then David, who I really despised who basically told Brianna she deserved to be raped by a drunk man because of attire she wore that was provocative because she didn't have the money to get anything better then mocked her about being raped when she admitted her sisters was actually r ...more
Nonieღserenity2bliss
Feb 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another winner by Catherine Anderson for me! ♥

I really like that she took the time to develop the relationship between the two main characters. I rather enjoy that the father-daughter relationship was the highlight first then the romance between David and Brianna came after the second half of the story. It made the entire thing much sweeter and charming.

And yes, there were moments that made me teared up with sadness and joy :)
Mareli
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Delicious story from the very beginning. We have a woman, married to a "David Paxton" with a delicious daughter. When our David Paxton receives a bunch of letters, asking him for some help for "his daughter" how can he resist? Especially after looking at "her daughter" and seeing her a portrait of his mother.

Now the only thing he has to resolve is when has this happened? He doesn't remember anything!

A great conclusion (so far) of this great series, totally recommended!
Samia Ruponti
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved it! great humor, awesome hero, a damsel in distress who really isn't a damsel (who isn't spineless) and a very cute kid, made a great read! (view spoiler) Recommended!
Lauren Peters
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book... It wasn't what I expected at all. The story of Brianna was sad and how she worked to take care of daphne was admirable. I didn't expect her to turn out to be a Paxton after all. Not many books bring tears to my eyes but this one did! Great read. I would recommend
Michele
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book--definitely worth reading!!
LoveRomance
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: historical
Just okay. That's really all I can think to say.
Aug 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: could-not-finish
I've enjoyed a couple of Anderson's books, but not this one. I made it about 100 pages in, then gave up in disgust and read the end, which was also pretty lame.

*SPOILERS*
This book was amazingly cheesy and the characters acted pretty stupid IMO. The blurb makes it sound more interesting than it is - I don't really understand how her boss "forced" her to write all these letters (nor why he dictated the content). Also, why exactly is it that being "only" an aunt would somehow invalidate her claim t
Marty
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brianna O’Keefe promised to raise her twin’s daughter as her own when her sister died shortly after Daphne was born. To do so, she was forced to leave the convent where she and her sister had been raised and had to find work to support Daphne. She found work with a kind bar owner, but when he died she was forced to seek work as a housekeeper for a rancher in Colorado. She invented the story that her husband, David Paxton was off prospecting for gold. She wrote letters to him c/o general delivery ...more
Mahsa
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, western
مثل بقیه کارهای خانم اندرسون این کتاب هم نثری شیوا داستانی پخته و موضوع قشنگی داشت. هرچند که هنوزم معتقدم به پای کتاب ترانه آنی نمی رسه.
داستان درباره دیوید پاکستون مارشال و گله دار شهری در اطراف دنور هستش که کیسه نامه های معوقه شش ساله زن و دختری شش ساله ای رو دریافت می کنه از اون به عنوان همسر و پدرشون خواهش می کنند بیاد دنبالشون و اونها رو با خودش ببره. دیوید به تصور اشتباهی نابخشودنی برای شش سال پیش و جوانی ها و بد مستی هایش دنبال آدرس داده شده عازم شهری که نامه های فرستاده شده می گردد.
بریا
Darlene Wilson
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it
A woman's impulsive ruse brings a stranger into her life... To support her orphaned niece, Brianna O'Keefe accepts work with a Colorado rancher. She resorts to a little lie: that she's married to a gold miner named David Paxton. When her boss forces her to write her "husband," hoping he'll take her off his hands, she prays that there is no real D Paxton who can expose her. When Colorado marshal David Paxton gets a letter from a stranger claiming to be his wife and pleading with him to come for h ...more
Nelshia
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Es una hermosa historia

Catherine tiene un hermoso don para describir los detalles... me encanta su forma de escribir.

Me gusto mucho esta pareja, esta historia es hermosa... si tienes ganas de leer sobre un prota con una boca que su ma debe lavar con jabón, que mete las cuatro nada mas la abre... pero que al menos sabe como pedir disculpas... este es tu libro.... y la historia tiene algunos giros inesperados pero que le dan veracidad a la trama.
  • To Kiss a Texan (McLain, #2)
  • Garters (Small Town Swains)
  • Texas Glory (Texas Trilogy, #2)
  • Mustang Wild (Wild, #1)
  • Colorado Dawn (Runaway Brides, #2)
  • Texas Bride (Mail-Order Brides #1)
  • Shadow's Stand (Hell's Eight, #5)
(1)romance author:
Adeline Catherine was born and raised in Grants Pass, Oregon, USA. She always yearned to be a writer like her mother. The morning that one of her professors asked if she could use samples of Catherine’s creative writing on an overhead projector to teach was

Keegan-Paxton (5 books)
  • Keegan's Lady (Keegan-Paxton #1)
  • Beautiful Gifts - Hadiah Terindah (Keegan-Paxton, #1.5)
  • Summer Breeze (Keegan-Paxton #3)
  • Early Dawn (Keegan-Paxton #4)