Start by marking “Masters of Disaster” as Want to Read:
Masters of Disaster

Masters of Disaster

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  640 Ratings  ·  145 Reviews
Henry Mosley decides that he and his pals Riley and Reed need to go on some earth-shaking adventures and make a name for themselves. Henry is the mastermind; Riley’s the researcher who’s prepared for anything. And somehow fearful Reed always ends up with the scariest, craziest assignments.

Roped into wacky attempts to break world records, reenact scenes from books, solve a
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published January 20th 2011 by Brilliance Audio (first published 2010)

Lilly Smithdeal
This is a great book for students in grades 4-5 looking for an adventure book. Masters of Disasters is about three close friends who are determined to complete crazy, adventurous, dangerous tasks. The three boys all have extremely varying personalities and that is evident throughout the entire book. Students could read this book and then choose one of the boys to focus on. They could write about if they were one of the characters in the book which one they would be and how they are similar to th ...more
Dana
Apr 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the perfect book for 5th-7th grade boys who like adventure and pranks. Henry, Reed, and Riley are looking for ways to shake up their less-than-exciting lives, so Henry comes up with a series of antics that will do just that. Unfortunately for Reed, most of those antics result in him winding up in some sort of smelly, sometimes unidentifiable, goo (much to the displeasure of his mother). At times funny, most of the time gross, this book is sure to be a hit with adventure seeking boys.
stefano cia
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Stefano Cia
Masters Of Disasters
Author: Gary Paulsen
Pages: 111
Book Review: #4
AB-2

Masters Of Disasters is a hilarious and humorous Gary Paulsen book! I recommend it to anyone that is interested into humorous and non-fictional books. The book was officially published in 2010. I feel like the book tries to leave me with a message that says to not do things you know you might not be able to do without practicing first!

Meet three 7th graders trying to prove their manhood by attempting to break a wor
Leo
Mar 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently finished Gary Paulsen's (very humorous) Masters of Disaster. It is about a group of kids who have, well, a limited amount of common sense. They are really just, as the title suggests, masters of disaster. After first trying to break a world record by biking off a roof into a trash can full of baby diapers, they figure out they need to do some more interesting things with their life. Paulsen makes the boys a perfect match for each other. One a daredevil, one a man with a maybe not s ...more
S18sisper
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This Book was great! Throughout the book Henry, Reed, and Riley are trying to break world records. Henry the leader of the clan is always trying to think of things that the boys can do, like jumpung off the roof of the house, swimming with sharks, and even riding a skateboard down a 50 foot slide. At the beginning of the book Reed and Riley are realy shocked by what Henry thinks of. Reed is a school person and Riley i would say is like a nerd. One day the boys met for there biggest plan yet. Hen ...more
Lucia
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
This is one of the funniest Gary Paulsen books I have read! It was laugh-out-loud funny. I tried reading it to my sons and didn't think they were listening, but found out later that they could recite the parts I read to them. Now I am concerned they will try to ride their bike off the roof!

Three boys, with one clearly in charge, decide to make their life more exciting by trying crazy stunts to get them into a world record book. Henry is the brains, Riley is the secretary and Reed, well, Reed is
Elizabeth
Well read as an audio book. Saw this review from GreenBeanTeenQueen: http://www.greenbeanteenqueen.com/201.... I have no brothers and live in a girl world so 1) it's not my personal style though I can imagine it would appeal to boys especially but 2) the question arises, perhaps ignorantly, are we just giving boys more crazy (and dangerous) ideas to try? And though noted in the book, the friendship dynamic is not exactly healthy ... Reed totally needs to stand up for himself!
Lisa McCurdy
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the funniest book I have ever read. My boys and I quickly declared it was not a good before bed book, because it was so exciting. I laughed so hard I cried several times and even had to put the book down until I could stop. Hilarious!
I tried to read this to my third grade class but quickly realized the vocabulary was above them. The book should come with a disclaimer: don't try this at home.
Shannon
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is the perfect read aloud. It's HILARIOUS. And Gary freaking Paulsen has the characters reading freaking HATCHET at school, which...... he wrote. A short book full of poop jokes and awesomeness.
Patrick
Was ok in my opinion. Kind of silly for me but young readers, especially boys will probably love it! Didn't hold my attention as some of his other books!
Mary Mason
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book was a little hard to get into at first, but after the first chapter, you get sucked in to the misadventures of the three main characters. Each adventure they attempt ends up in a disaster, and each one is funnier than the last. It's a quick read, and very entertaining.
Walter
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I gave this book 5 stars because the kids that are trying to make world records want attention for themselves.
Lisa Mckay
Henry, Reed, and Riley are three twelve-year old boys on a mission for adventure. It all started one day when Henry came to the conclusion that they needed to stop sitting around and make a name for themselves. One by one, Henry came up with missions for the group. Their missions included things such as breaking records and solving mysteries. Each adventure had its fair share of difficulties such as tiger encounters and diapers in the face, but nothing stopped the trio. Along the way, the boys h ...more
Sawyer
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sawyer Beyrouty
Master of Disaster

The book Master of Disaster was written by Gary Paulsen, and published by Scholastic Inc. in 2010. This book has 102 pages, and it's a fiction. There are three kids who think they are so boring. They have to take care of the neighbors dog. The kids did that then sends one of them off the roof, onto the diving board and into a garbage can of diapers. Then they go dumpster diving at their schools dump. A few days later they went to their grandpas farm and road a
Teresa
Aug 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paulsen strikes again with another zany adventure book. Henry Mosley has plans for himself and his two friends, Riley Dolen and Reed Hamner. He announces a series of plans to "Prove Our Manhood and show us What We're Made Of. And if we play our cards right, we might just Alter the Course of History a time or two. And, of course, Impress Girls and Get Them to Notice Us."

However, none of the tasks goes exactly as planned, but all are deemed huge successes, although each one somehow ends up with th
Sandra Carolina
Sandra Carolina Argueta
April 20, 2016
ETEC 545 MS Realistic Fiction
Paulsen, Gary. Masters of Disaster. New York: Wendy Lamb Books, 2010
Gary Paulsen has always been one of my favorite authors. He has a keen awareness of the typical of middle school boy’s sense of humor, but in a really generic way, like in a sweet innocent kind of way. This book’s characters are like that, it is a series of chapters that puts three 12 year old boys together concocting mischievousness that is really “old fashioned”
Tanner Simonson
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the book, Masters of Disaster, the setting changes with each of the adventures that Henry, Reed and Riley do. The boys feel that their lives are boring so they try all these different adventures. For their first adventure, they want to break the world record for the most forward airborne somersaults on a bike. So their plan was for Reed to ride his bike off the roof of the neighbor's house. Their next adventure was to camp out in the woods for the weekend, but they get tangled up and chased o ...more
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE this book! Gary Paulsen is an awesome author, if you are looking for a fun, enjoyable and entertaining read for young people - try one of his many titles.
I actually laughed out loud during several of the adventures in this book, something that I wish I could say happened to me more often... I read lots and lots of books in an effort to supplement / enrich my class reading list(s).
I originally picked it up to appease my curiousity... our school library has this book listed as a middle gra
Sarah W
Apr 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, humor
I found this book to be shriek-out loud hilarious. While some could say this book is lacking in plot, I found the mayhem caused and endured by these characters more than made up for that. Henry is the master schemer of plots. His friend Riley is always prepared for everything and can pull anything from first aid kits to college pamphlets from his sack. It is poor Reed who ends up doing the dangerous, dirty and smelly work in all these schemes.

It starts with wanting to set a world record for bic
Peep (Pop! Pop!)
Had to listen because it was Nick Podehl and to be honest I am kinda obsessed with the dude. Enjoyable book. Loved the adventures and good to see friends being friends. Was kind of sad to see it was over.

I enjoyed it because I took it for what it was, a couple of kids doing things. There really isn't a plot. Things just happen and Nick Podehl, the narrator, makes it fun to listen to.

Henry came up with some good ideas but he really should have brought along a camera! How could you do all those s
Luca H
I really enjoyed this book; it has really changed my mind on how I didn’t like stunts before, and now the stunts they did have really changed my mine. I would recommend this book to ages 9-12. Kids these ages would probably understand this book better that older kids would. This book is about a kid named Henry Mosley, and he gets him and his friends together to do some crazy stunts. They do these stunts because they want to be cool because they are not the coolest people, and they want the girls ...more
Anne
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not being a 10 year old boy, I have trouble saying what I found to be off-putting about this book. Adventures rolled along too fast with too much dependence on vocabulary playing a critical role in understanding the humor of situations and difficulties that the 3 perpetrators instigate. Also, no real kids could implement these "adventures" in today's world - breaking into school and causing an explosion with no aftermath, what? Maybe we are supposed to accept this as Well, yeah, duh." but "duh" ...more
Denise
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are looking for a fun book to read aloud to your boys, look no further than this book.

Recommended to me by a friend, it was an easy choice to read since my oldest son is a Gary Paulsen fan.

While this book may be a great read for any boy, reading it aloud to my boys was such fun! We laughed at all the funny parts and whenever I glanced up from reading, they were enthralled, hanging on every word. Their giggles were my favorite part of this book.

The book follows three boys as they try to b
Goshen PL Childrens
I listened to the audio recording read by Nick Podehl. It was masterful! Each character had their own voice but... I loved Reed the best. I laughed so much while reading the book! In fact, while waiting at a traffic light I was laughing so hard in my car that the driver next to me gave me the oddest look. I tried to roll down the window and rewind the track just so random a stranger could laugh with me. It's that funny!

Paulsen writes characters that I feel like I knew from childhood. Henry the s
Adam Ochoa
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Masters of Disaster by Gary Paulson is a good book. It is about these three kids named Reed,Henry and Riley. They try to break crazy world records. They try and fail almost all of them. When they finally beat one world record everything will change for them geeks to cool kids.

This was a great book. I really liked how there was comedy and some fictional events in the book. I also liked how the book was formatted. I would rate this book a four out of five.

I recommend this book to people who have
Afton Nelson
I wish someone would publish my book with no plot, but I guess when your name is Gary Paulson, regular writing rules don't necessarily apply. Not that this book isn't fun and entertaining. It's just a bunch of chapters strung together about 3 boys who come up with different extreme stunts to pull off. Well, one boy thinks of the stunts, another records the details of the stunts and blogs about it, and the third kid is the schmuck who gets roped into actually doing the stunts--each one dragging h ...more
Stephanie Croaning
Masters of Disaster is a short, incredibly funny story of three friends who decide they need to stop being boring 12-year-olds and go on some epic adventures to impress girls and make their lives something to write about. The three friends have very distinct personalities, and their adventures are laugh out loud funny.

This book would make a great classroom read-aloud. It is short, funny, and realistic fiction which can appeal to be boys and girls. Plus it talks about poop a lot, which is a plus
Deanna Brooks
Henry has decided that he and his friends will no longer live the mediocre existence they have been living. As of today, Reed, Riley and himself will embark on an agenda of adventure. At age 12, these three will attempt to prove their manhood by becoming "men of action." Some of the extreme stunts Henry thinks up for the trio are bicycling off a neighbors roof, riding a rodeo bull and dumpster diving.

Gary Paulsen is an author known for his humorous and light-hearted tales. Young teens will find
Richelle
Off the "New Books" shelf at the library is where I picked up Masters of Disaster. I knew the author, Gary Paulsen, from Hatchet so I thought I'd see what the latest from him is like. I'd say the book is for boys grades 3-5 and maybe a little older depending on their interests. There are three friends who go through self-created adventures like crazy bike stunts, scientifically examining the contents of school dumpsters, staying in the woods overnight survival-style with no supplies and more. No ...more
Austinhunter
I really liked this book. I like these books that have a lot of stuff in them or that don't really have any boring parts in them and this is one of those books. This book is full of things a dare devil would do. I also like it how it is three average kids doing this, and they are actually pretty smart. I also like it how they only think positively and never think of the bad thing that could happen when they are doing something that could result in injury. I think it is weird how one of the boys ...more
Adventure 1 1 Feb 01, 2016 07:48PM
  • Jeremy Bender vs. the Cupcake Cadets
  • Stumptown Kid
  • Second Skin
  • Ghost of a Hanged Man
  • The PS Brothers
  • Griff Carver, Hallway Patrol
  • The Ghostwriter Secret (Brixton Brothers #2)
  • Olivia Kidney
  • The Adventures of Beanboy (Beanboy #1)
  • Vanishing Acts
  • Archvillain (Archvillain, #1)
  • The Loser List
  • Cold Case
  • The Journey That Saved Curious George : The True Wartime Escape of Margret and H.A. Rey
  • The Christmas Genie
  • Super Burp! (George Brown, Class Clown, #1)
  • Planet Tad
  • Loch (revised cover)
Although he was never a dedicated student, Paulsen developed a passion for reading at an early age. After a librarian gave him a book to read--along with his own library card--he was hooked. He began spending hours alone in the basement of his apartment building, reading one book after another.

Running away from home at the age of 14 and traveling with a carnival, Paulsen acquired a taste for adve
More about Gary Paulsen...