Start by marking “Palaces & Calluses (Cotswold Chronicles #1)” as Want to Read:
Palaces & Calluses (Cotswold Chronicles #1)

Palaces & Calluses (Cotswold Chronicles #1)

Mary has the perfect life ... or does she? When she faces herself for the first time, the choices begin. Can she ever return to her old life?

Jackie's flat is an abomination, and the budget won't stretch to ant killer, then Mary arrives. Is she Jackie's guardian angel, or just Paula in disguise?

Rock can't help it. He's just a Border Collie. He couldn't possibly know that o
ebook, Electric Word Nerd, 320 pages
Published April 6th 2011 by Blue Bee Books

To ask other readers questions about Palaces & Calluses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Palaces & Calluses

Thetaodaddy
I couldn't get into this. I tried, but I found the main character of Mary to be unsympathetic and the secondary character Jackie arrived far too late in the book. The details and descriptions were fantastic; I could visualize the surroundings quite well, but they seemed to bog down the storytelling. Despite having all my senses engaged in most scenes, I just didn't really care about anyone in the book. I ended up skimming from about 41-53% (Kindle edition, so I had no page numbers) and then just ...more
Samhy
Jan 31, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, english
This was a nice read but as a stand alone the story kind of fell short. For example, the character of Jackie in its own is almost nonexistent. She's mostly here to provide some ground to Mary.
I bet she'll become more of a real character in the second installment, but if the reader stops with the first book something is missing. I really prefer when a book makes complete sense by itself, because I don't want to feel like I have to read the next book to fully enjoy the current one.

Other than that,
Sarah-Jane
May 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Packed full of delicious jokes, this sweet story about a woman finally trying to grow up at the age of 27 is carefully observed, rich in detail, and often laugh-out-loud funny. You don't have to be sorry for the privileged Mary, whose life has crashed all the way down to her designer shoes, but it's breezy fun to join her as she attempts to navigate the path of the real world and figure out who she really is. It's also fun to get to know the Cotswolds (far too rare as a setting for a book) throu ...more
ᴡᴡᴡ.AngryGreyCat.18sexy.pw
Light, fun read with some heartbreak, some romance, and some basic growing up. The main character, Mary was married young and then her husband has an affair and she has to start over, in the Cotswolds. I liked it well enough that I would probably try the second in the series given the opportunity. I found some parts of the plot forced you to suspend your disbelief quite a bit, but overall an enjoyable chick lit type read.
Nicole
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
I liked the honesty of the characters and Mary's clear motivation. I thought the story was poorly constructed and the dog bite was a weak threat. Also the ending didn't fit the rest of the book. Cute story though.
Lynne - The Book Squirrel
Apr 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books
Great read - loved it! Fast paced, easy to read and hard to put down. Loved the characters you meet along the way too. Very funny in places and I was taken back to days when I was a 'Tupperware' demonstrator many moons ago, although my manager wasn't a bit like Evil Edna!
Lorna
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
A great read and for a first novel very impressive! The story was good the characters believable and I can't wait for te next one to come out, Way to go Rebecca!
Jay-me (Janet)
Mar 31, 2013
Helen
Jul 16, 2012
Karenh
Mar 09, 2013
Rebecca
Jun 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Lizzie
Jan 20, 2012
Emma
Mar 17, 2013
Rebecca
Apr 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Krista Coppersmith