Start by marking “Catechism of the Catholic Church” as Want to Read:
Catechism of the Catholic Church

Catechism of the Catholic Church

4.41  ·  Rating details ·  7,791 Ratings  ·  215 Reviews
Here it is -- the first new Catechism of the Catholic Church in more than 400 years, a complete summary of what Catholic throughout the world believe in common. This book is the catechism (the word means "instruction") that will serve as the standarad for all future catechisms.

The Catechism draws on the Bible, the Mass, the Sacraments, Church tradition and teaching, and th
Published April 15th 1995 by Image (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Catechism of the Catholic Church, please sign up.

Donald Murray This document is best used as a reference so you look up a subject, so if there is an app maybe where you can ask it verbally to look up a subject,…moreThis document is best used as a reference so you look up a subject, so if there is an app maybe where you can ask it verbally to look up a subject, that might be better from an audiobook perspective.(less)

Deborah
Feb 26, 2008 is currently reading it
Geez...it actually makes sense. I think I'm a closet Catholic.
booklady
This was my third full time to read the Catechism all the way through, though I have read many parts of it piecemeal.

This time I read it using an online service which you can subscribe to here. I highly recommend it as a painless way to read though the CCC in a year. You only receive emails during the week; two days off for week-ends.

Even if you get behind you can catch-up later just by saving the email notifications. They also offer a similar service to learn the Popes in a year. The papal in
Chary
Feb 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fyi-reference
For every Catholic and for anyone who has honest questions about Catholicism. "Why the rosary?...Why Mary...Why communion?...etcetera." This book has direct Biblical reference (by Chapter and verse) to every question that could be possible asked of Catholics. A great resource for Apologetic discussions.
Andrew
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In a former life I used to believe that the Catechism was a collection of rules imposed on believers. At that time I only understood a quarter of the Church's teachings and disagreed with another quarter (. While I still have much theological ignorance, I would be hardpressed to find a passage in the Catechism with which I now disagree. This is not because I have surrendered my intellect to the dictates of an authoritarian Church. Rather, I have come to believe that the teachings contained in th ...more
rebecca
Jul 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book will probably be on my currently reading list forever for two reasons. first because it is an invaluable tool for my formation and maturing in my faith....secondly, I can't figure out how to add shelves..LOL

going to finish it this year in the Year of FAith!!
Feb 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Catholics
Shelves: catholicism
It really upsets me that most Catholics haven't read this. Totally shameless.

Read it people!! You never know, you just might learn something.
Julie Davis
Nov 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never actually read through the entire Catechism. The Catechism is often thought of as the Catholic "rule book" and that is true in a way because a catechism is a summary of Catholic belief. However, it is not couched as we would normally think of a "rule book." The Catechism flows through four big ideas: The Profession of Faith, The Celebration of the Christian Mystery, Life in Christ, and Christian Prayer. There is a good explanatory article here by Mary DeTurris Poust who wrote The Idi ...more
Sten-Erik Armitage
The trouble with reading a book like this one is that it will sabotage all the preconceptions you have so carefully formed over the years about what Catholics really believe. This was an encouraging and often edifying read.

That said, I have many fundamental disagreements with the Roman Catholic church. However, not as many as I thought I possessed!

I would strongly suggest that you read this along with the official documents of Vatican II so that you can see in full the official dogma of Catholic
Dougald
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Yes, as a baptist I read the Catholic catechism. I wanted to read what the Catholic church said rather than get it from others. There are some portions that are very, very good. The section on the Apostle's Creed, Life in Christ, and the section are prayer.

Of course, there are things that I disagree with, but I can also say that many things I have been told Catholics believe did not come through in their catechism.
Madelyn
Sep 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
Essential reading for any Catholic... Helps so many things to click and make sense. A good resource for any Catholic bookshelf. One that you can go back to over and over for any questions that may arise or ongoing faith formation.
Catholic Lifetime...: Catechism of the Catholic Church 1 10 Jun 27, 2016 06:12AM
Deadly Sins 1 4 May 13, 2016 04:31PM
  • The Lamb's Supper: The Mass as Heaven on Earth
  • Theology for Beginners
  • The New American Bible
  • Catholicism and Fundamentalism
  • Good News About Sex & Marriage: Answers to Your Honest Questions about Catholic Teaching
  • True Devotion to Mary
  • Diary of Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska: Divine Mercy in My Soul
  • Witness to Hope: The Biography of Pope John Paul II
  • Mary: The Church at the Source
Saint Pope John Paul II (Latin: Ioannes Paulus II), born Karol Józef Wojtyła was elected Pope at the Conclave of 16 October 1978, and he took the name of John Paul II. On 22 October, the Lord's Day, he solemnly inaugurated his Petrine ministry as the 263rd successor to the Apostle. His pontificate, one of the longest in the history of the Church, lasted nearly 27 years.

Driven by his pastoral solic
More about John Paul II...
“The Catholic wisdom of the people... provides reasons for joy and humor even in the midst of a very hard life.” 7 likes
“Sin is a personal act. Moreover, we have a responsibility for the sins committed by others when we cooperate in them: by participating directly and voluntarily in them; by ordering, advising, praising, or approving them; by not disclosing or not hindering them when we have an obligation to do so; by protecting evil-doers. [1868]” 5 likes