Start by marking “Her Dark Destiny (Hunters of the Dark, #1)” as Want to Read:
Her Dark Destiny (Hunters of the Dark, #1)

Her Dark Destiny

(Hunters of the Dark #1)

Teenager Shanna Hunt has been hunting demons since her parents were murdered by them. She's used to doing things alone, her own way, but one fateful night throws her into the company of a team of hunters, each specializing in a particular kind of monster: vampires, werewolves, witches, shape-shifters... This newly-formed team should be an unstoppable force for whatever is ...more
Published (first published April 6th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Her Dark Destiny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Dark Destiny

Start your review of Her Dark Destiny (Hunters of the Dark, #1)
Karla(Book Addict)
Oct 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Urban Fantasy Fans
Recommended to Karla(Book Addict) by: Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy Fanatics
Shelves: favorites, trapped-me
deleting reviews if you want to take a look at them you can do so on my blog, link on my profile
Tana
Oct 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Her Dark Destiny (Hunters of the Dark, #1) by David Ferraro.

The first of the series this book starts off with action and adventure. The main character of course is a strong young woman who is a demon hunter, taking a night off from hunting she decides to go out with her best friend to a club to have fun and dance. During the evening she soon realizes fun is not what she was going to have. She ends up in a fight for her life and meets up with two other hunters who help her out in battle. When the
Midu Hadi
I read this book as a part of Read to Review by "Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy Fanatics!" It started off with a bang and I simply loved the surprise of the prostitute moping one second and going Buffy the next! After that, it all went downhill. It was really hard getting myself immersed in the story. In fact, I think I would have liked it better, if I could have just skipped the first half of the book. The description of The Agency Mansion went on for pages-yes, I got it..the mansion's ...more
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Oct 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) by: R2R
Shelves: reviewed
I received this book as a part of R2R.

So I struggled at a rating for this book. Let me explain.

I found this book very interesting. I thought the plot was solid and the story kept going. I really liked the cast of characters from all walks of life. This will make many readers very happy. But like others, I was left wondering who was the lead. For purposes of this review, I am assuming Shanna was the lead and Jordan was the minor lead.

Shanna, let’s just say, I didn’t like her very much. She was
Alexia
Oct 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book. The story line is great – I was captivated from the get go! I love all the kick-ass chicks. Every single one of the characters has such outrages personalities – freaking awesome. They are unpredictable and keep you on your toes.

This is the type of book that ‘does’ it for me – it is action packed (and yes… the girls did most of the ‘in your face’ knock outs) and has romance as well as humour!

I just have to add that I’m totally swooning over Damien *sigh*
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
A review in thirty words (or less):

This was a good book, young adult, but for the older crowd (18 and older). I'd recommend it to fans of Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

Reviewed for Bitten by Books. http://bittenbybooks.com.
Ana
Oct 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
I was hesitating about writing a review for this book, mainly because of the poor rating I am giving it. But finally I did it because of two reasons. First, because I want to write down my thoughts and opinion on a book, good or bad, and second because I believe an honest review is what the authors are after.

So, what's this book about?

vendetta Pictures, Images and Photos

Name: Shanna Hunt

Age: 18

Previous job: Part-time waitress

Current job: Demon-hunter at "The Agency"

Shanna Hunt lost her parents seven years ago, when they were
Cecilia Robert
Oct 31, 2011 added it
Shelves: r2r
For some reason it wasn't easy getting through the first pages, but after trying a few times, I was finally pulled in and the rest went on smoothly.

It was good to see the author focus on other creatures other than the usual we see being hunted - vampires, demons and werewolves. It was action packed (and I do love action in a novel) well described and fleshed out characters. I'd say this is a wonderful begining of a series, and look forward to the second book, see what happens with Shanna Hunt.
Nicole

I really enjoyed this one. Shanna is 18 years old and a demon hunter who's parents were murdered by... can you guess? You got it, demons. She teams up with a misfit crew to hunt down baddies that have started killing hunters. You've got shifters, werewolves, all kinds of demons, vampires, various others dark creatures, and a mermaid thrown in for good measure. Also some kind of secret history going on with Shanna that will keep me reading the series.

The writing was very descriptive and sometimes
Emma
Oct 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Okay, I have no idea how to review this book! I don't really know if I liked it or not. There were a few things I liked but there were also a few things I didn't like!

First of all, the main character is great. She has a lot of potential, if only she didn't whine and moan as much. The romance between her and another character wasn't really build up very well. I wasn't cheering for them to get together, simply because the moments they were together were not very special. I think that was the
Candis
This is a book I received for Read2Review, and as always many thanks to the hard working girls there.

This story follows the main character Shanna as she deals with life...and demon hunting. After a tragic event she relocates to the New York area and joins a team of other hunters.

Pros: The back story going on about Shanna/Diana is highly intriguing. I will be getting the next book just to see what that is all about! I liked the details of the scenes. The fight scenes were well laid out. And I
Suzanne
Oct 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really really like this book, I just couldn't put it down. I found it to be totally unpredictable and was shocked at times when things went a certain way. The author gave good descriptions of the characters and I felt like I got to know them all. The story was also told from other characters POV too at times which I liked. The main character Shanna was very likeable but my favourites were Jordan and Damien. I loved the romances in this and I was definitely in favour of the bad boy vampires. ...more
Samantha
Oct 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this:) i got it from read 2 review!
I liked the main character Shanna, and that she seemed to actually care and tooling the weight of her actions, but she was a little bit whiny. I loved that while we had a great main character to focus on, we were also introduced to amazing and awesome supporting characters. It was a little taxing at first trying to keep them all straight, but you get it eventually.
I liked all the different types of monsters:) lots of the norm, but a few
Lauren
Oct 17, 2011 rated it it was ok
2 stars for too many POV's/main characters which just confused me constantly.

Pros:
The bad guys are fun and weird. The descriptions of the made up creatures (vs. the typical vamps/weres etc.) are really tantalizing and I really enjoyed the novelty of most of them. The main bad guy is just scary and a few of the other described bad guys are soooo creepy (spoiler: (view spoiler))

The grammar/spelling mistakes were rare – yeah!

Lots and
chucklesthescot
Shanna has been hunting demons since she witnessed them killing her parents,and her double life has left her isolated. She is persuaded by her friend Kelly to go to the opening of a new out of town club and Shanna decides that one night off won't kill her. What a pity the club might...

Our MC was a nice, ordinary girl who had survived a terrible ordeal which she has to keep quiet from her friends. She feels obligated to do something about the demons and the only people she can talk to are others
Luz
Oct 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holly Full Moon Bites Book Reviews
~May have slight spoilers.~

In this first novel of Dave Ferraro's Hunters of the Dark series we meet Shanna Hunt. A teenager who has been hunting demons ever since that fateful night her parents were murdered by them.

Like most hunters she hunts alone until one night and a call get her taken to Lime Bay where a team is being compiled. A team of hunters that will fight together and hopefully learn what is happening to all the other hunters that seem to be just disappearing.

I really loved this book!
Christine O'Neill
Oct 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: paranormal, PNR
Recommended to Christine by: R2R
“As some of you may have noticed, you are all in Hell.”

So begins the story of Shanna Hunt’s transformation from working as a lone demon-hunter, to working alongside other specialized hunters, inside a secretive organization called ‘The Agency’.

Shanna Hunt’s parents were killed by demons when she was a child, and she has been a hunter of demons, desperate for revenge, for two years before being recruited to The Agency. Hunters are being killed off at an alarming rate, and The Agency, headed by
Jamie
Her Dark Destiny is a good first book to this series. I liked it but just didn't love it. It started off slow and really didn't pick up until half way through.

Shanna Hunt, the main character is a demon hunter. She has been hunting demons since her parents were killed by them. She has been a lone hunter trying to keep her secret from her best friend. After a night at a new club Shanna decides to join The Agency. It's a secret organization of hunters of multiple species headed by a woman named
Stephanie Redwine
Oct 16, 2011 rated it liked it
This book is about an 18 year old, Shanna Hunt, who has spent years hunting demons in an effort to avenge her parents murder. She goes to a party that ends up as a massacre by demons, shape shifters, vampires, etc. After this showdown, she decides to join with "The Alliance" which is a group of people who hunt down these creatures. The book is about Shanna coming to terms with who she is and helping her new friends track down their enemies.
This book was...interesting... the plot was great, but
Rachel
Oct 20, 2011 rated it liked it
3 Stars

I am in turmoil about this book. It was worth the read, and will have to read the next installment of the series. I gave this three stars, maybe a 3.5. It was a good start to a series.

First the things I liked about this book is that it is action packed, tons of “stuff” going on. The author has included different species, not just one. Making the book an interesting read, he included vampires (good and bad), demons (all different kinds), werewolves and some I have never heard of. I believe
Heather (Raevynemyst)
I am not sure what to think about this book. The concept is very interesting and I immediately liked the main character Shanna. I don't normally like books in which the paranormal creatures are the bad guys. But the hunters were very interesting and I liked the agency bit and it defefinitely felt like X-Men too. However, the author needs to spend a little bit more time editing. There too many times, he would go off on a tangent with another character's personal thoughts and some of them were ...more
Cassandra
Aug 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved loved loved Her Dark Destiny. It was filled with action from the first chapter all the way through to the end. Which kept my attention and I really didn’t want to go to work in the morning or go back to work after lunch. Her Dark Destiny reminded me of my favorite TV show Supernatural. Shanna starts hunting demons after they murdered her parents I totally think her and Sam would get along very well (Sorry Shanna Dean is mine). I liked how the story wasn’t focused on just one supernatural ...more
Nicki Markus
Jun 14, 2011 rated it liked it
I received this book as a review request by the author and on the whole I enjoyed it.
The story will no doubt appeal to Buffy fans and those who like young heroines tackling those demon hoards.
The plot moves along nicely and there is plenty of action. The characters are mostly good, though there were a couple of POV slips and I personally would have preferred if the author had picked just one or two characters' viewpoints. As it is, we see through nearly all the characters' eyes at one point or
Jessica
Oct 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was 3-4 stars for me. I bumped it up purely because once i started it was hard to put down.

There was so many chacters in this book, which is both good and bad. I did like that there was a variety of paranormal 'things' but there was so many it was hard to identify with each and every character in the book.

That being said, its an amazing start to a series, i read it thinking that there better be more in the series because it was a great base.

The main character was a little annoying
Maghon Thomas
Oct 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
First, another fun one from read 2 review!! Thanks for that! Now, I liked this one. I like that the main character doubts her decisions and questions things. I liked the other characters, especially the twins. I like that this book helps homosexual teens know its ok to be just that. I think it's great that all the monsters are not bad and not all humans are good either. All in all, good one, I've already bought the next installment :)
Ellen
Oct 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
I first have to start by saying that Dave Ferraro does an amazing job writing from a teenage girl's point of view. That's a talent a lot of female authors can't master, so the fact that he's male and has done so is even more impressive.

I really enjoyed this book. I found myself connecting well with Shanna throughout the book and am very intrigued by the continuing story line. I will definitely be picking up the second book in the series when I get a chance.
Kris
Oct 24, 2011 rated it liked it
This book was very different from most of the paranormal/fantasy books that I read in that it had a little bit of everything. Not just vampires or werewolves or shifters or zombies...but all of the above. If you enjoy action and all types of monsters, you'll enjoy this book. Perfect for Halloween!
Adam Larson
Sep 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A mash-up of X-Men and City of Bones. This read like a superhero team comic but with monsters. Lots of fun and great characters.
Gina -   Behind the Pages
2.5 Stars

At the start of the book we like how Ferraro's intense description on the demonic filled world give us insight into the paranormals as well as the characters we are getting to know. We know what the characters look like because of his detailed descriptions, which most books now-a-days are lacking in.

Some of the way through the start of the book we are waiting for some demonic/paranormal slaying but we are mostly getting to know Shanna and about how she was led into the hunting world.

Hunters of the Da...: Her Dark Destiny (w/spoilers!) 2 4 Aug 06, 2013 09:48PM
The Nexus : Hunters of the Dark Series 51 22 Feb 26, 2012 01:57PM

• Bloodlines (Bloodlines, #1)
  • The School for Good and Evil (The School for Good and Evil, #1)
  • Tell Me Three Things
Dave Ferraro grew up in Brooklyn Park, Minnesota, where he was warped by a steady diet of comic books, horror movies and young adult novels. He is the author of the paranormal fantasy series "Hunters of the Dark," as well as the gay teen paranormal romance "Twice Bitten." He graduated with a B.A. in English and creative writing from Saint Cloud State University, and currently resides in Milwaukee, ...more

Hunters of the Dark (5 books)
  • Night Cries (Hunters of the Dark #2)
  • Face the Dark (Hunters of the Dark #3)
  • Dead of Night (Hunters of the Dark, #4)
  • The Shape of Evil (Hunters of the Dark, #5)
“I mean, we all have secrets we keep from each other. We all think things…and no one knows about it.”
“Shanna, I know about the vibrator.”
4 likes
“You really don’t like your father, do you?”
He glowered. “Let’s just say he would have eaten me if my mother hadn’t been nearly dead from giving birth. She happened to be weaker at the time.”
3 likes