Start by marking “Antologia personale” as Want to Read:
Antologia personale

Antologia personale

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  457 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
After almost a half a century of scrupulous devotion to his art, Jorge Luis Borges personally compiled this anthology of his work-short stories, essays, poems, and brief mordant “sketches,” which, in Borges’s hands, take on the dimensions of a genre unique in modern letters. Some of this material had not previously been published in book form. English title: A Personal Ant ...more
220 pages
Published 1981 by Longanesi (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Antologia personale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Antologia personale

Seemita

I:

Borges:

I: Do you like silence?

Borges: What silence?

I: The one you are filling up this space with right now?

Borges: This, is my ground. Contemplation, not Silence, my weapon. Thought, my battle.

I: A battle you are at advantage to withdraw from any time?

Borges (with a pre-emptive look): Is that so? Help me then, young lady.

I: Help you? With what?

Borges: With withdrawing from this battle.

I: Well, you are the originator. You should be the one to end it.

Borges (at once, hys
Owlseyes
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: argentinean-lit

(true, Borges' hand)

I liked Borges’ attempt to define a “classic”. Usually a classic evokes Eliot or Sainte-Beuve,… and others. Yet Borges prefers his own definition; a classic is “as if in its pages all was deliberate, fatal, deep and like cosmos and CAPABLE OF ENDLESS INTERPRETATIONS”. As a major example he cites the “I king”: the 64 hexagrams allow for MANY MEANINGS.

He made some considerations on etymology and MEANING, which can undergo many transformations through time. Like the word “ca
Erik Graff
May 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Erik by: Michael Miley
Shelves: literature
I rarely bother to go to see any speakers unless it is for some political cause when headcounts are important. Even then, however, I usually stick to the fringes of the crowd. It is so much easier to read a text than to hear it. It is so much more comfortable to listen to or watch a speech in the comfort of one's home and in accord with one's own schedule.

I made an exception for Borges, however, when he came to Loyola University Chicago in 1982 and spoke--quietly, for he was very old and blind--
Jim
I used to think that Labyrinths or Ficciones was the best place to start reading the works of Jorge Luis Borges. Now I think the place to start is A Personal Anthology, which is an excellent mix of stories, short literary essays, and poems translated mostly by Alastair Reid and Anthony Kerrigan.

Here you will find "Death and the Compass," "The South," "Funes the Memorious," "The Zahir," "The Aleph" and several other of best best fictions along with such essays as "A New Refutation of Time" and "
J.
Sep 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borges
Got this to reread the stories, alongside a first read of Borges' excellent lecture series Seven Nights. This compilation appears to consist of short fiction from both Labyrinths and Ficciones, along with verse.

If you haven't taken the Grand Detour of Literature that is Borges, this should be a perfect introduction. Nothing too inter-related or chronologically dependent, so can be read in any order.

You should know that you're involved in this already. Know that Borges wonders, and worries abou
Althea Ann
Nov 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A collection, edited and arranged by the author, of his favorite writings. It's described as being for a "reader who seeks a representative sampling of the great writer" and a "standard introduction to Borges in [English]."
I'd agree - there's a good mix here of short stories, essays and poetry. Some are well-known works which I've read more than once before' some more obscure (at least to me.)
As always, Borges' writing is lyrical, beautiful and thought-provoking.
Hojaplateada
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: argentina
Muy buena selección de cuentos y poemas. Todos cortos o muy cortos, que dan una mirada general de su obra.
Lucas
Borges' Greatest Hits.

Highlights include: his impossibly nostalgic sonnets, some gorgeous cosmological verses, his ode to James Joyce, an impressive essay "On the Classics" and then an even better lecture "On Nathaniel Hawthorne". There are also some short stories here, and we all know Borges is pretty much the short-stories king. So yeah, a greatest hits collection that it's actually great.

(view spoiler)
Viswesh
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are very few writers that can come close to the magical Jorge Luis Borges. As Bob Dylan wins the Nobel Prize for Literature, one cannot help but write this review of a book by arguably one of the greatest writers to have not won a Nobel Prize. There is something special about this anthology. For a start, it is a personal selection which Borges himself chooses to be known by (I might actually disagree with him on his own choices but such is the breadth and scope of his work that you might w ...more
Alonzo
This is one of my favorite anthologies. I continue to re-read several of the stories, poems and essays. Borges was a master of the author-identity concept. Many authors attempt to spin an identity separate from the "real" them which is the identity they present to their public, to their readers.

Borges writes that he wants the works in this anthology to be representative of his work; he wants these works to speak for him.

I don't read Spanish, yet, so I can't say how close to the original these t
Robbie Bruens
Here are collected a sampling of Borges' poems, stories, and essays laid out for the reader in such a way as we are meant to get a sense of who Borges was as a writer and a man, and what he was trying to accomplish with his writing. I have read some of these pieces before ("Funes the Memorious" is a favorite of mine, and I return to it often) while others are new to me (how I had not read "The Aleph" until now, I couldn't tell you). I come away again astonished at the magnitude of what he is abl ...more
Jeremy Bailey
Feb 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maybe the reason I pick this book up more than any other is because it puzzles me. I don't always understand his stories, some of them are very esoteric, if that's the right word, and yet consumed with structure, order. But every time I read one of them, I learn something new. Not like a new factoid about Argentina, but a new insight. His stories run the gamut - from the tales of murder and betrayal among the "gauchos" which would fit nicely alongside McCarthy to his fantastical and cryptic stor ...more
Ross Helford
Hand-selected collection by Borges himself, flows thematically (as opposed to chronologically), which gives the somewhat-versed (like myself) a deeper flavor. I've read "The Circular Ruins" many times, and every time I get something new from it. Has to be one of the top-10 stories ever written. Read "The Aleph" for the first time, which I've been wanting to do forever. So much good stuff here--not the least of which is an exchange of letters from the translators at the end, as they muse in a Bor ...more
Rita Varian
Feb 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know much about poetry, but I was pretty sure that with the poems in this book, a whole lot went over my head. Then a friend said that she studied some of his poetry as a literature major in her native Spanish, and Borges' poems were still really difficult and there's a lot to unpack, so I felt a little better.
The short stories and philosophical pieces didn't make me feel that was at all; the stories are electrical, and if all philosophers wrote like that...hmmm maybe I'm better off the
Merritt K
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You could argue that Borges' preoccupations with infinity, repetition, labyrinths and so forth rendered his work toothless in the face of very real political threats, and you could criticize his classical liberalism that prompted him to denounce Marx with the same ferocity with which he did Nazism, but even if you did both Borges' writing is just so impressive in its breadth of genre and depth of consideration that you'd probably appreciate a large part of this collection.
Elidanora
May 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La tengo en español, pero me gustó esta carátula.
En cuanto a los relatos me gustaron casi todos, algunos de los artículos ya los había leído en Otras Inquisiciones como Nueva refutación del tiempo, que aún leído por segunda vez me sigue costando entender (tal vez porque no entiendo nada de filosofía idealista), las poesías no me parecieron tan buenas.

Colie!
Jul 27, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: musers
Good lord, this is shit is pithy. Didn't get the full five stars, because I can digest him only in small doses. But super rad indeed... some of these stories and essays will blow your freaking mind clear off.
Aaron
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
I've read some of these works before, but the particular order in which they're presented caused me to understand them differently. I now have a better idea of Borges as a specifically Argentine writer as well as a fantasist.
dusty.rhodes
Oct 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book of levels.
The structure,order and selection of the works in the anthology are all Borges. All but the translations.
If I picked one english anthology of his it would undoubtedly be this.

Borges and I.
4barbes
Aug 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite necesary to keep in mind the great books that are the foundation of our culture.
A great testimony of the Library of Babel, an exemple of the shelve we can find in his books, in his line, in his thought.
اویس
Sep 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
divine,divine! thats all I can say!
something I will read,reread and reread!

Borges,

you thought me how to look at time how to feel the music of every grain,every particle of time,of matter the poetry of life..grasp it while you can!
Max Rasa
Nov 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thrilling and challenging
Amy
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite pieces (The Dead Man, The South, The Aleph) in this anthology are equal parts fantastical, allegorical, and incisive.
Mitch
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prose
Read the Aleph and various other short works. Is he dreaming me?
LOL_BOOKS
A BUNCH OF STORIES THAT ARE LOLZY AND MAGICAL. LIKE PTERRY, BUT MOAR SRS AND ABOUT MANY DIFFERENT WORLDS.
Antonio
Dec 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If for no other reason than that it contains one of my favorite quotes of all time, that music is "an immanence of a revelation".
Anna
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
School copy.
Nicole
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Can't believe I had never read him before! I like to keep working on poetry as I feel like it... but wonderful, unexpected, eclectic.
Lindsay
Aug 07, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
thoroughly enjoying this, best read under trees, y su epitafio la sangrienta luna. next up: collected fictions.
Jeff
Aug 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mind-bending, scholarly, diverse, a great collection of interesting works by an influential author.
  • Why You Should Read Kafka Before You Waste Your Life
  • Configurations: Poetry
  • Isla Negra: A Notebook
  • More Pricks Than Kicks
  • My Oedipus Complex and Other Stories
  • Stalking the Nightmare
  • A Hundred Camels in the Courtyard
  • In Youth is Pleasure & I Left My Grandfather's House
  • Four Novels: The Square, Moderato Cantabile, 10:30 on a Summer Night, the Afternoon of Mr. Andesmas
  • The Book of J
  • Anatomy of Restlessness: Selected Writings, 1969-1989
  • Echoing Silence: Thomas Merton on the Vocation of Writing
  • The Collected Poems
  • Twelve Types: A Collection of Mini-Biographies
Jorge Francisco Isidoro Luis Borges Acevedo, usually referred to as Jorge Luis Borges (Spanish pronunciation: [xoɾxe lwis boɾxes]), was an Argentine writer and poet born in Buenos Aires. In 1914, his family moved to Switzerland where he attended school and traveled to Spain. On his return to Argentina in 1921, Borges began publishing his poems and essays in Surrealist literary journals. He also wo ...more
More about Jorge Luis Borges

• Every Day Is Mother's Day
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
  • The House Girl
  • Challenger Deep
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Yellow Crocus
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • The Great Man
  • The Vagrants
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
    $12.99 $2.99
“Beyond my anxiety, beyond this writing, the universe waits, inexhaustible, inviting.” 4 likes
“I had no wish to take any determined route on that stroll; I attempted, rather, a maximum latitude of probabilities in order not to wear out expectation with an obligatory anticipation of a single one of them. I was able, within the imperfect limits of possibility, to walk, as they say, at random. I accepted, without any conscious prejudice but that of avoiding the wider avenues and streets, the most obscure invitations of chance.” 1 likes