Start by marking “Life as a Leb-neh Lover: The Identity Crisis of a Maybe-Lebanese” as Want to Read:
Life as a Leb-neh Lover: The Identity Crisis of a Maybe-Lebanese

Life as a Leb-neh Lover: The Identity Crisis of a Maybe-Lebanese

155 pages
Published 2011 by Turning Point Books

To ask other readers questions about Life as a Leb-neh Lover, please sign up.
Katarzyna Leb-neh is a play on the word Labneh where the author is jointly referring to her country, LEBanon and one of its signature dishes of Labneh. The…moreLeb-neh is a play on the word Labneh where the author is jointly referring to her country, LEBanon and one of its signature dishes of Labneh. The Labneh itself is not the center of discussion but rather the push and pull of the country and the effect it has on the author's identity. (less)

Start your review of Life as a Leb-neh Lover: The Identity Crisis of a Maybe-Lebanese
Anees Ragy
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is about a Lebanese girl, Kathy Shalhoub, who grew up in Lebanon, went to university in the states, worked in France, and lived in many other parts of the world. She explains her identity crisis as she struggles to stay happy in the USA or as she struggles to make her research successful in Lebanon. Throughout the novel, I connected with her on many levels. I know how strenuous and monotonous life can me in the USA and I know how carefree, crazy, and sometimes politically dangerous ...more
Stefany Salemeh
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
He told me Lebanon was like the Sirens in Ulysses the call is so attractive and irresistible, you always want to get closer and closer. As soon as youre there, you get smashed on the rocks and broken to bits (page 102).

Life as a Leb-neh Lover is the first English book, that I have ever read, directed towards a Lebanese audience. And I was really impressed. Really.

I went in expecting a fluffy and cheesy book that would make me cringe as I read it. Instead, I found myself reading a fluffy, yet
Michael
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I can definitely relate to this novel and author. This is almost exactly like what my perspective of Lebanon/America is, except for I lived in the US all my life and moved to Lebanon; whereas she lived in Lebanon and moved to the US.

As I am reading this book, I can relate to everything that she talks about. Whether it is the organization and neat lines at the grocery store, mechanic, or airport in the US, I can relate to it because I noticed the same changes in cultures and countries once I
Hana Osman
Dec 21, 2013 rated it liked it
One of the books that I recommend reading, you will learn a lot about Lebanon and the Lebanese life-style, through the author's real story, and experiences.
The author, used a simple language, you may finish the book in less than a day, if you are a fast reader or a day and a half, if you are a bit slow.
One thing also I loved about this book, is the beautiful graphics nicely done, and placed.
I was lucky to attend Kathy Shalhoub's creative talk at #MORETalks such a lovely and humble lady.... :-)
Bedoorable
More of a coffee table book, I enjoyed that it's light hearted and relatable, reminds me of myself, although some comments about strangers seemed pretty judgemental, but that's ok since it's meant to be a blook. I wanted something to "break me" into reading again and it's a nice way to remember Beirut. maybe one day i'll be as sure about my identity.
Maitha
Dec 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
@kathyshalhoub LOVED YOUR BOOK! Finished it before even had time to put it on Goodreads. It's so wonderful to enjoy a person's company yet enjoy reading her books at the same time. I hope it turns into a movie!!! I look forward to reading from you more ;)
Sahar محفوظ
Dec 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved it, it's something related to all of us migrating and even living in the beloved Lebanon !!! after meeting Kathy in person, i found out that you can't but love her book :)
Nora
Aug 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Very recognisable
Eleena
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Most Lebanese can relate to such an identity crisis.
Maryam Bin Fares