Start by marking “Second Chance Summer” as Want to Read:

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  38,197 Ratings  ·  4,909 Reviews
From the Flying Start author of Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour, a powerful novel about hope in the face of heartbreak.

Taylor Edwards’ family might not be the closest-knit—everyone is a little too busy and overscheduled—but for the most part, they get along just fine. Then Taylor’s dad gets devastating news, and her parents decide that the family will spend one last summer
Published May 8th 2012 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Second Chance Summer, please sign up.
Emily Amy & Roger is a lot of fun, Second Chance Summer is a lot of emotions, and Since You've Been Gone is a lot of adventure. I'd recommend Since…moreAmy & Roger is a lot of fun, Second Chance Summer is a lot of emotions, and Since You've Been Gone is a lot of adventure. I'd recommend Since You've Been Gone for your first :)(less)
Sabrina Taylor Edwards, Gelsey Edwards, Warren Edwards, Mr and Mrs Edwards, Henry Crosby, Lucy Marino

Ellie

My brother opened the door of my room to find me in a sea of kleenexes, sobbing and crying my eyes out more or less like this. (But probably I was worse, I'm the ugliest cryer in the world. Seriously.)
He blinked, saw the book in my hands and blinked again.
He didn't say a word, just closed the door very quietly and walked away even more quietly.

I think I actually scared him.

---EDIT---

My brother opened the door of my room to find me jumping on the bed and screaming like a banshee "OMG I can't beli
Zoë
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Watch my interview with Morgan Matson here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVqHE...

I have a headache, a runny nose, I can't read the computer screen because my eyes are swollen, and my shirt is sopping wet from tears, so that can pretty much tell you everything right there.
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
I don't usually cry when I read books but man this one got to me. Another great read by Morgan Matson!
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book I've read this month that has just completely shattered me. 3 Full video review to come!
Maureen
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Reread for #monthofmatson2017

I feel like I love this book more every time I read it. Granted, I bawl through the last bit, but I so relate to Taylor on so many levels. And Henry is SO FREAKING GREAT.

Reread May 25-30 for #monthofmatson

Well my nose is currently stuffed up from crying so hard if that gives you any idea of how I feel right now. I really love Taylor's journey throughout this book and it's just great even though SO MUCH CRYING

Reread June 14-15 for #MonthOfMatson.

WELL this book always
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I love Morgan Matson books! But I didn't want to cry today 😥

This isn't the best book of hers I have read but it was still good. There were a lot of slow parts, but maybe with what was happening in the story, we needed to slow down.

Taylor, her mom and dad and brother and sister decide to go to their lake house for one last summer. Sob, I can't even think about the reason why.

Anyway, they hadn't been back there for 5 years. Taylor's friends she left behind were mad at her. Things were different
Samantha
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars! Full review (and possibly a gush) to come on my channel.
April (Aprilius Maximus)
EXCUSE ME WHILE I SOB OVER HERE OK BYE
Whitney Atkinson
Tissue count: 3

This book took me forever to read. It dragged a bit, which I felt was unusual because I flew through Matson's 2 other books. Although I did enjoy this one and it was definitely summery and made me wish I had a lake house, I'm really tired of Matson only writing about shy girls who never speak their mind or have confidence. It was really irritating in this book, moreso than her other two, and I found myself unable to relate to-- or enjoying reading about-- the characters. The entir
sreeja
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
honestly, the 12y/o version of the mc manages to have more of a love life than I probably will ever have (considering mine is non-existent).
This book managed to make me cry more than the opening scene of Guardians of the Galaxy (yes, I cry everytime?? IDEK why) which is like a lot.
ALSO I have no idea why I picked it up when December is going to start and summer is clearly eons away. This was such a summery and beautiful read that it made me all kinds of warm and happy on the inside anyway. M
Norah Una Sumner
This novel hit a little too close to home. I feel like not everyone will understand Taylor but I just... I just felt like I was reading about myself. But she's not a particularly strong character here? Exactly.

For me she was a strong one. Honestly, I love reading about strong female characters who don't give a shit about what other people think and who represent empowerment. Now, what I want to ask you is: "Do you feel like you're like that every single moment of your life?" I don't think so. It
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Spoiler Alert: This book should come with a free box (or boxes) of tissues.

Second Chance Summer just like the rest of Ms.Morgan Matson’s novels did not fail my expectations of a perfect summer read except this particular novel thought my summer reads are becoming pretty easy and so it decided to make me bawl out. Profusely.

It’s impressive because I don’t think the novel is deliberately trying to make the reader cry. Yes the premise is very sad- about a family spending their last summer togeth
Shannon (leaninglights)
Not sure how, but this was even better the second time around. It's now my fave Morgan book. Tears but such a good story. All YA contemporary needs to take a page from Morgan's book. She's gold. Loving #monthofmatson, even though I'm carrying it into June ;P
Jenny
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was sitting on a bus and I was trying VERY hard not to cry.
emma
Okay, so, this book is bonkers long.

I'm talking nearly-five-hundred-pages-and-isn't-that-just-goddamn-ridiculous long. I am of the belief that there is nary a contemporary on this planet that needs to be over 300 pages, and it seems like Morgan Matson, despite being the love of my life and joy of my soul, may be ignoring the letters and emails and faxes and Instagram direct messages I've been sending her on this topic.

But I digress. I'll just say this book is way, way, way too long and move on.

I
Jennifer Ellision
Posted to Almost Grown-up:

WARNING: Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson is NSFW. That is… Not Safe For Work. And it’s not due to the usual reasons that things are deemed NSFW. Nope, no gratuitous sex in THIS incredible book. Second Chance Summer is of the ugly-crying NSFW variety. But we will get to that. I promise.

Earlier chapters of Second Chance Summer may not be sob-inducing, but they pulled at my heart an equal amount.

And there are a variety of reasons for that.

First of all, there’s Morgan
Pinky
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
When I picked this book up, I was expecting it to be a fun, happy read. But it wasn't and I wasn't expecting it to be so sad and depressing. I still loved the book and enjoyed the whole reading experience but I was not expecting what I read.

Taylor Edwards is forced to cancel all her plans for the summer after her family discover horrible news about Taylor's dad. Instead of a summer packed with clubs and other things, Taylor's parents decided that they should visit their old lake house in Pocon
Jillian (bookishandnerdy)
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"It wasn't until now, when every day I had with my father was suddenly numbered, that I realized just how precious they had been. A thousand moments that I had just taken for granted -- mostly because I had assumed that there would be a thousand more."

An incredible story about second chances, loss and grief, and finding the courage you always knew you had. Morgan Matson is a master at highlighting the big moments that most everyone will probably go through in life and pinpointing the little mo
Shannon (leaninglights)
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I can't process my feelings about this book right now. I have never cried harder in my life reading a book. Granted, this is largely in part due to circumstances in the book paralleling circumstances in my own life, but I can't see how this book wouldn't move each and every person who picks it up.
I'll admit: there was a moment in this book around the halfway mark where I was worried it was going to be my least favorite MM book and that I might actually give it 4 stars *GASP* The book had the hu
Pearl Angeli
Second Chance Summer

“The thing is that people only get hurt—really hurt—when they’re trying to play it safe. That’s when people get injured, when they pull back at the last second because they’re scared. They hurt themselves and other people.”

A heart-felt, beautiful tale about family drama, childhood romance, and friendship that will pull your emotions.

It's my first time reading a book written by Morgan Matson, and I could say that she's one of a kind. The first few lines of the book already told me that the aut
Jasmine
Henry just stared at me, and I looked back into his green eyes, feeling the sudden urge to break into hysterical laughter, because it was beginning to seem like I couldn't turn around in Lake Phoenix without running into him.

Second Chance Summer is a book that'll give you the courage you need when trying to stand up after falling; it'll give you the strength you need when defeated by the God of Life; it'll also give you the permission you need when following your heart.

Second Chance Summer is
alexandra
Jun 15, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5/5 ♡ second chance summer was a story of beginnings and endings.

of all the morgan matson books, this novel is probably my least favorite. not because i didn't like it or anything, i just felt there could've been more. taylor, the main character, wasn't my favorite because i couldn't clearly see her. given her situation, it's understandable to be emotionally distraught, but even after finishing the book i still don't really know who she is? some of her actions were also SO frustrating.

although
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really, really enjoyed this book. It brought my own memories of summers long past where my family and my best friend's family would go camping every summer. We'd always meet so many interesting kids there.

I thought the main character was heartbreaking and annoying and flawed and realistic. Just like a teenager should be. I felt her pain through and through.

Even though this book was devastating it just made me want to appreciate my friends and family more.
Warda
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just want to curl up in a ball now. What a beautiful story about family, love and loss.
Anja
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*4.5 HEARTBROKEN STARS*

So... Remind me again why I thought that finishing this book during my lunch break at work would be a good idea??
Because I'm crying my eyes out right now and my colleagues are in a panic because I suddenly started crying lol.

Review coming soon!
Lora
Apr 10, 2011 marked it as maybe
Shelves: lib-to-read
happy dog

I couldn't be any more happy right now if I were that dog. It has a synopsis and a title and a release date! Now all we need is a cover.
Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
I'm waiting until this goes on BookOutlet, then it'll be mine. Love her writing!

-----

Another Morgan Manson read and I enjoyed it! So lots of just every day musings and such but I believe it's to develop characters and their relationships so I didn't mind. Though it was boring to say the least. I still had to know what happened at the end and I was tearing along as I read. It was cute and sweet and heartfelt. A perfect summer read, I give this one four stars out of five. <3
Glass
Absolutely beautiful, heartbreaking story.
Whitney
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It is 3 AM.

Tissues are everywhere.

I AM A MESS.
Jano
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reseña completa en: http://elcaosliterario.blogspot.com.e...

El libro es bastante lineal, sin grandes giros ni sorpresas, pero con una historia cuya magia se encuentra en lo bien contada que está y lo agradable que es de leer. Quizá al comienzo me resultó un poco lento pero, una vez puesto en situación, me enganchó bastante y pasaba páginas casi sin darme cuenta. Hay saltos temporales entre sus capítulos que también hacen de ella una lectura más amena. Además, estos saltos temporales, ayudan a co
  • In Honor
  • The Story of Us
  • The Thing About the Truth
  • Pieces of Us
  • The Book of Broken Hearts
Morgan Matson grew up in New York City and Greenwich, Connecticut. She attended Occidental College in Los Angeles but halfway though a theater degree, she started working in the children's department of Vroman's Bookstore and fell in love with YA literature.

Following college graduation (and the proud bearer of an incredibly useful theater/English degree) she moved back East to attend the New Schoo
More about Morgan Matson

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
  • Dread Nation
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“A thousand moments that I had just taken for granted- mostly because I had assumed that there would be a thousand more.” 685 likes
“And I’ve realized that the Beatles got it wrong. Love isn’t all we need—love is all there is.” 364 likes