Start by marking “Fever Dream: A Daniel Rinaldi Mystery” as Want to Read:
Fever Dream: A Daniel Rinaldi Mystery

Fever Dream: A Daniel Rinaldi Mystery

(Daniel Rinaldi #2)

There’s a sweltering heat wave outside. Nearly a year after Pittsburgh psychologist and trauma expert Daniel Rinaldi helped unravel a baffling murder, he finds himself drawn into another case.

When a daring bank robbery goes horribly wrong, resulting in the deaths of all the hostages except one, Rinaldi is called in to question Treva Williams, the traumatized young woman wh
Published November 1st 2011 by Poisoned Pen Press

To ask other readers questions about Fever Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fever Dream

Start your review of Fever Dream: A Daniel Rinaldi Mystery
Ann
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
I just devoured Dennis Palumbo's second Dan Rinaldi mystery called Fever Dream. Wow! Another wild ride that I just couldn't put down.

Short chapters invite you to read just one more, but Palumbo has refined the trick of planting some tantalizing bit of information, as you get ready to place your bookmark, and that keeps you reading way past your bedtime.

When an exceptionally violent bank robbery takes place in downtown Pittsburgh just as election time approaches, the police once again reluctantly
DARIUS TAN
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terri Wino
Jun 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: year-2016
The second book about Pittsburgh psychologist Daniel Rinaldi, this time pulled into the case of a bank robbery gone bad that turns out to be more than the crime it appears.
A solid 3 stars, as it was an interesting mystery with some twists and turns, but did go on a little too long. The Pittsburgh setting is what drew me to this series, but the characters and plots are what will keep me continuing with it.
This is the second book in this series and in general, I think it was an improvement on the first. The story and plot line to both were interesting and well thought out, with enough twists and turns to keep you guessing. Because the main character is a psychotherapist, they remind me to a degree of the early Jonathan Kellerman books. (Maybe the later ones as well, I quit reading the "Delaware" series at about book 8 or 9. If you like Kellerman's books, you will probably like these, although I th ...more
Dan Downing
Here's a question. Does a cell phone ever ring other than suddenly? Or a landline, for that matter? Maybe, in rare callback cases. But Mr. Palumbo and his editors need to omit the word 'suddenly' from their future manuscripts.
There are a few other annoying quirks here, but mostly things roll along in wrought fashion. Veteran mystery readers will no doubt see the tricks as they are set up and enjoy them when they are revealed. Offhand I can't think of a single surprise in this story, but it did e
Donna George
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good story and love that takes place in Pittsburgh
Patricia
Nov 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Treva Williams, the only hostage to be released, sat on the curb beyond the cordoned-off area, wrapped in an EMT blanket.” This sentence is the opening line in Fever Dream and immediately captures the reader’s sympathy for Treva.

Meanwhile, Detective Eleanor Lowrey is on the phone to Daniel Rinaldi, psychologist. Rinaldi is also a trauma expert and consults with the Pittsburgh police. Detective Lowrey asks Rinaldi to come right away to the scene of a bank robbery that has gone bad. The criminal
stormhawk
May 09, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to stormhawk by: netgalley.com
I really liked his first book. I liked this one too, and would give it 3-1/2 stars, if I could.

Dr. Daniel Rinaldi has got to be the unluckiest trauma specialist in all of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Not long ago, one of his patients was killed.

Now he's in the middle of a bank holdup, a hostage situation, shootings, and a hanging.

But he does get to listen to really cool jazz, which makes up for a lot of the other stuff.

The writing is engaging, descriptive, and really well done.

There's a
Carl Brookins
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Author Dennis Palumbo has fashioned a dark, twisted tale of political chicanery of the finest order. Dan Rinaldi, a Pittsburgh-based psychologist, is on call to the city police department. He helps interact with citizens who have experienced severe trauma, but may have vital information that will help the police solve the latest affront to society. When the story opens, a bank robbery has gone terribly wrong. Death has occurred and one of the robbers has apparently escaped. The only eyewitness i
Gloria Feit
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the beginning, we had Alex Delaware, psychologist and sometime police consultant. Now we also have Daniel Rinaldi, psychotherapist and part-time police consultant. There, of course, the similarities end. Whereas the Kellerman protagonist is more cerebral, the Palumbo creation is more physical, in keeping with his background as a Golden Glover from the mean streets of Pittsburgh.

This novel, the second in which Rinaldi is involved in a murder mystery which endangers his life (multiple times), b
Sheila Beaumont
Daniel Rinaldi is not your average, everyday clinical psychologist. He is the superhero of psychologists. Well, he doesn't really have superpowers, but he was an amateur boxer in his youth and he continues to practice and keep in shape, plus he is very smart. If he didn't have these qualities, he wouldn't still be alive, because as a consultant to the Pittsburgh police department, he finds himself encountering some dangerous and wily villains.

The excitement in Fever Dream starts on the first pag
Pamela
Sep 11, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Not even my worst enemy!
I don't know which is worse in this book...that the main character is so much more clever and insightful than any of the other characters or that all the other characters are borderline morons.

Beware...the following contains spoilers.

1. When a politician's advisors are all at a total loss for how to spin a diaster, who is the only one who comes up with a solution? Yep. Superdoc!

2. When a colleague doesn't even know that something is wrong at her facility, who not only figures out the problem but
Patty
Dec 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If the first book in this series was groundbreaking than this one is just amazing. Dr. Daniel Rinaldi is a psychologist who works as a consultant to the Pittsburgh Police department. When a bank robbery goes bad Dan is called in to deal with the only surviving witness, Treva. Having dealt with survivors guilt himself Dan is able to understand exactly what she is going through.

When the bank robbers get free and start on a killing spree, Dan gets caught up in all the action and in the end is able
Ellen Dark
Pittsburgh psychologist Daniel Rinaldi returns in the second book in the series. He's called in by the police to work with the only surviving hostage at a bank robbery gone wrong. Rinaldi gets very involved in the investigation, and solves the case. My suspicions were correct when the solution was revealed. The main drawback for me was the language throughout the book. Lots of soap would be needed in real life.
Monica
Mar 08, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dialogue was entertaining (Palumbo has been a screenwriter as well as a therapist and novelist), plot a little clunky, Rinaldi the prize-fighting shrink not a bad character but a bit of a doofus with women. My favorite character is Noah, the paranoid schizophrenic bartender and jazz pianist in a trio named Flat Affect.
David Marshall
Apr 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although our hero absorbs punishment rather like one of these GI Joe action toys, there's a real page-turning intensity to the action and some neat plotting on display. This is impressive!

Mam
Aug 14, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of plot twists made this an interesting read. I'll probably read another in this series. Will have to wait to see if I like psychologist Daniel Rinaldi as well as Alex Delaware.
Steve Isenhower
Nov 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book and a good series.
Kathy Horbund
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Palumbo is an excellent writer and I really enjoy his books. This is no exception. It moves well, has a good premise and engages the reader. It's hard to go wrong with any Palumbo book. Enjoy.
Kay
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Excellent new series! I am a fan of Jonathan Kellerman and this series reminds me a little of his Alex Delaware series. Very well written!
Sue B
Feb 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good book by Palumbo. I liked this one better than Mirror Image. Starts out with a bank robbery and Dr. Rinaldi trying to help the trauma victims. Lots of twists to the story and action!
Clara Dearmore Strom
Not very good. I liked his others, but this one I skipped through quickly and a week later I can't ever remember what it was about.
Ranie Elias
Good book ....lots of twists and suspense...
Erynn
May 26, 2019
Vikki Gagnon
Sep 26, 2018
Carlton Davis
rated it did not like it
Oct 12, 2012
Wendy Jaehnig
Aug 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• When I Was You
  • When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)
  • The Secret Child (DI Amy Winter, #2)
  • Gone to Dust
  • The Mark of Athena Excerpt
  • Scot Free
  • Scot & Soda (Last Ditch Mystery #2)
  • The Friends We Keep
  • Seven Ghosts
  • Bearskin
  • The Expatriates
  • Siri X-VENTURE Fail X-Sentrik 10: Patung Bernyawa
  • The Web (Alex Delaware, #10)
  • Broken Places (Cass Raines, #1)
  • The A List (Ali Reynolds, #14)
  • The Tale Teller
  • Deck the Hounds (Andy Carpenter #18)
  • Let Me Go (Eva Rae Thomas Mystery #5)
Formerly a Hollywood screenwriter (My Favorite Year, Welcome Back, Kotter, etc.), Dennis Palumbo is now a licensed psychotherapist and author

His mystery fiction has appeared in Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine, The Strand, and elsewhere, and is collected in From Crime to Crime.

His acclaimed series of crime novels (Mirror Image, Fever Dream, Night Terrors, Phantom Limb, and Head Wounds) feature psyc

Daniel Rinaldi (5 books)
  • Mirror Image: A Daniel Rinaldi Mystery #1 (Daniel Rinaldi Series)
  • Night Terrors (Daniel Rinaldi #3)
  • Phantom Limb (Daniel Rinaldi #4)
  • Head Wounds (Daniel Rinaldi #5)