Start by marking “The Silver Palate Cookbook” as Want to Read:
The Silver Palate Cookbook

The Silver Palate Cookbook

With over 2.2 million copies in print, the widely acclaimed The Silver Palate Cookbook is firmly established as a contemporary classic. Originally published in 1982, the book's elegant, innovative recipes and emphasis on pure, fresh, ingredients ushered a new passion for food and hospitality into the American consciousness.

The lively collection of clear, step-by-step reci
Paperback
Published January 4th 1982 by Workman Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about The Silver Palate Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silver Palate Cookbook

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensThe New Best Recipe by Cook's Illustrated Magazine
Best Cookbooks
1,232 books — 1,112 voters
The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerThe New Basics Cookbook by Julee RossoThe Fannie Farmer Cookbook by Marion CunninghamThe Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie KatzenBarefoot Contessa Family Style by Ina Garten
Best Cookbooks Ever
343 books — 166 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Silver Palate Cookbook
Pam
May 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, cooking
An awesome cookbook from way back in 1982, when finding flat leaf parsley was a real challenge and nobody knew what pesto was yet...but these two women helped put gourmet food on the map! And to them I say, thank you.
Lorraine
Oct 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: culinary
I am actually reading a cookbook from start to finish!!! The recipes have already won me over, but the tidbits, the quotes, the organization of this book are absolutely delightful! And no calories for reading about food!!
Sharon
Nov 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookshelf
With it's sibling The Silver Palate Good Times Cookbookand big brother The New Basics Cookbook, these are the ones on my shelf that are completely dog eared with use. ...more
Leah
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, food, favorites
An essential classic! All the recipes work, but if you get this book for no other reason, the recipe for chicken Marbella will be worth it.
D
Feb 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: home cooks looking for fun, '80s-inspired riffs on an array of classics
a flavor bomb of '80s cooking inspiration: think: lots of reductions and specialized vinegars and fussy cheeses. now, my love of cooking is FOUNDED on the stuff i ate from this era, so i can totally get on board. and one of my favorite lasagnas in the world was created by these ladies (an eggplant/chevre/bechamel BOMB that was LIFE-CHANGING and published in lukins and rosso's New Basics). but sometimes i notice the acid is a titch heavy-handed and not as subtly balanced as it can be with the bes ...more
John G
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food-cooking
A great cookbook. Perhaps as much fun to read as to enjoy the recipes. Lots of good background on most recipes and lots of info on ingredients. Sometimes basic recipes have lots of variations suggested. The sections on salads were particularly great.

The tone is sort of 5th Avenue hippie. Largely because of the hand drawn B&W illustrations. And the friendly humorous narratives. Side boxes exhort the reader to enjoy food and life.

The recipes are simple and all of those which I have tried worked w
Andrea
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is my mother's cookbook and has more New York Sunday society classics than you can shake a stick at. Chicken Marbella, anyone? What about quiches galore? Heck, there's a whole section on "Brunch Drinks." Sometimes it can get a bit ridiculous (Herbed Caviar Roulade?), but it features genuinely good entertaining advice, such as, "schedule just enough time to relax with a quiet drink before the party begins; this way you may catch your breath," "The most successful hosts are those who welcome ...more
Leona
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
I had heard so much about this cook book over the years, but for some reason never purchased it. After reading, Apron Anxiety: My Messy Affairs In and Out of the Kitchen, I decided to splurge, especially when I saw the kindle special sale. (The lemon cake recipe was referenced in the book.) I'm glad I did. It's well written, filled with great, interesting recipes. ...more
Lynn Hotalen
Sep 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
I first got this cookbook years ago when I was first taking a real interest in cooking. Many of the recipes and ingredients seemed exotic to me then, but I learned so much and bought all the books by Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins I could get my hands on. Those recipes no longer seem so exotic to me and many of them I now cook without a recipe, since I've made them so many times. But I still refer to this book often and love where it has taken me.
Mark
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, reference
If I want to cook a special meal, this is the first cookbook I turn to. At least one dish, often the whole meal comes from the recipes in this book. I have been using it since 1986, and over the years have tried the majority of the recipes.. some recipes 30+ times (like the chocolate mousse:-). The recipes have all been tasty, most are moderately complicated / time consuming, but executable by someone with basic skills. The biggest downside is that some of the ingredients can be hard to find.
Hallie
Sep 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I still have my well loved duo of original silver palate cookbooks. A beloved Christmas gift from a boyfriend in 1987. I refer to these often even though my library of cookery spans an entire wall; floor to ceiling. Simply classic, relatively easy and delicious. Many menu ideas and tips for easy entertaining with style. Nothing pretentious or "foodied" about the recipes - just wonderful and timeless.
Amy
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Lovely little cookbook, written by the friend of a friend, and given to me by another friend. I've used many recipes from this one, but particularly liked the chicken marabella (which sounds bettern than chicken with prunes), which was easy to prepare when serving large groups. Most memorable dinner was out at Sunset Beach, NC at a beach house there for 10 of us.

Packing away now as we declutter the house, preparing to put it on the market.
Ray
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
THE classic. This book started it all. The shop was purely new in the late seventies, and the book changed how the USA cooked. Remember, this came out when no one would ever consider making something strange like "Ratatouille" When I need a tasty morsel for my family or a party, this is my go to book. Enjoy and live in a time where butter was king!
Beth
Apr 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I got this book as gift many years ago when I asked some one where did you learn how to cook chicken like this? I get rave reviews when I make the coffee cake from this cookbook and many other yummy treats. Check it out for sure!
Tina
May 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Anyone who knows me ---well they know what joy a cookbook can bring to me. Inspiration for great food is everything. Ketchp is the little black dress of our generation---why not make it gourmet ketchup?
Christine
Jul 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
An inspiring cookbook that really celebrates food and makes you want to plan dinner parties. The recipes are a little outdated for being high fat, high calorie, so it's not one I use much in my everyday cooking.
Alisa
Sep 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love Love Love!!! I've made several things and all have been superb.
Laurie
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I actually looked at the hard copy of the 25th anniversary edition. I was curious to see how color plates added to the book since I have successfully cooked so many things from the original cookbook that my copy is dog-eared.
I was pretty disappointed. There really aren't that many photos to enhance the text and I didn't think the tastiness of the food was truly captured visually. For me, the photos detracted from the original charm of the cartoon illustrations. I'm still a fan of Silver Palate
Patty
Apr 29, 2009 rated it did not like it
I was thrilled when I got this cookbook for $1 at a used book store. Now I know why someone had given it away! I've tried four recipes in it, and they were all wrong. I know how to cook; I have enough experience to know when a recipe is "not my taste" and when it's just plain wrong. The recipes I tried were clearly not well tested. The food came out disastrous. After four bad ones, I stopped trusting the book enough to try any more.
Carol
Mar 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
Back in the 80's before there was FoodTv and the internet, gthis WAS the cookbook if you entertained. This was the cookbook that inspired me to start a small catering business back in the early 90's. I went to a dinner party lately and the hostess served chicken Marbella. A classic! I have not used it lately but it is time to revisit some of these recipes.
Austen to Zafón
May 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, food
I was in high school when I got this book. My friends and I used to host tea parties and picnics for each other and this was a great source for fancy little dishes for that kind of party. It was a one-of-a-kind, innovative, indulgent book at the time. But I only used it for a few years. It's pretty dated now and although I still have it, I never use it.
Elizabeth
Oh, the eighties. What marvelous, ridiculous foodie ideas you had. *sigh* Back when capers were an adventure.

That said, this is the first place I encountered the idea of using aluminum foil instead of parchment paper for cooking en papillote, and I will never not be grateful for that.
epg
Even I, who really don't know how to cook, have had success with lots of these wonderful recipes. Makes me feel comfortable with dinner parties. Love the Beef Stroganoff(pg 128)and Eggplant Parmiigiana (pg 168).

Also recommend THE NEW BASICS COOKBOOK by the same authors.
Mary
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is an interesting book and will bring back memories to anyone old enough to remember it's first printing. Many of the recipes create delicious meals however, the list of ingredients can appear daunting by today's standards.
Michelle
May 20, 2013 rated it liked it
I found this book on a shelf at a vacation rental and it is such a great book that I didn't read some of the books I brought with me. The recipes have become classics at our house. It's a lovely book with recipes for the beginner cook and inspiration for the advanced.
Kathy Hoss
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
A good cookbook, but not a great I one. Many of the recipes call for ingredients that one might not necessarily have in their cabinets. This is the kind of book to buy someone who wants to get into a little gourmet cooking.
Michelle
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: diet-health-food
There is no recipe in this book that is imperfect.

I love how a good cookbook can give you such an impression of the culture/time it came from.
Take a trip in the time warp machine back to shoulder pads and print newspapers and get cooking.

Bethwareham
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am the former editor of 2 editions of the Joy of Cooking and this is still my favorite cookbook BAR NONE. The flavors are huge and the dishes easy to make. This book has made me a culinary rock star over and over.
Naomi
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was so-so for me. There were recipes that were beyond fantastic and I will see myself making for meals/entertaining. Some were a bit too extravagant for my level of entertaining. The pasta/veggies/desserts sections were just yummy and those were the ones that stood out the most for me.
Löki Gale
Jan 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I remember sitting in my mom's kitchen reading The Silver Palate Cookbook and drooling. I may not be able to make half the stuff in this cookbook, but it is great to have in your kitchen!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Way to Cook
  • Nigella Express: Good Food, Fast
  • Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant
  • Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics
  • I'm Just Here for the Food: Food + Heat = Cooking
  • Barefoot in Paris
  • The New Enchanted Broccoli Forest (Mollie Katzen's Classic Cooking)
  • The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook
  • Barefoot Contessa Family Style: Easy Ideas and Recipes That Make Everyone Feel Like Family
  • Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking
  • Instant Pot Pressure Cooker Recipes Cookbook: Easy, Fast, Healthy and Delicious Recipes
  • Barefoot Contessa at Home: Everyday Recipes You'll Make Over and Over Again
  • Rachael Ray 365: No Repeats: A Year of Deliciously Different Dinners
  • Joy of Cooking
  • Betty Crocker's Cookbook
  • The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook
  • Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World: 75 Dairy-Free Recipes for Cupcakes that Rule
  • Mastering the Art of French Cooking
Julee Rosso is an American cook and food writer. In 1977 she and Sheila Lukins opened and ran a gourmet food shop in New York City called The Silver Palate. In the 1980s they wrote, with Michael McLaughlin, The Silver Palate Cookbook, The Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook, and others. A 25th Anniversary update of the Silver Palate Cookbook is forthcoming.

News & Interviews

Summer reading season is in full swing, which means many of the year's biggest and best releases are coming out of the gates. And although your Ju...