Start by marking “The Promise of Hope: How True Stories of Hope and Inspiration Saved My Life and How They Can Transform Yours” as Want to Read:

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  114 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
The editor-in-chief of Guideposts magazine presents life-changing stories--incluidng his own recovery from addiction an depression--that demonstrate the simple keys to personal change and fulfillment. Years of listening to other people's stories of going through tough times, hoping to overcome difficult odds, or trying to find a way to make a difference in the world brough ...more
Published March 25th 2011 by GuidepostsBooks

To ask other readers questions about The Promise of Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Promise of Hope

Homeschoolmama
Jun 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
So far I am not liking this book too much. Edward Grinnan, the editor of Guideposts Magazine, seems to have trouble figuring out what he wants this book to be- an autobiography, a rehashing of Guideposts stories, or a self help book that moralizes at the reader. If he stuck w/just an autobiography, it might be better. But as another reviewer posted, I too find it disappointing as a revelation of the spiritual life of the editor. This book seems to be a mishmash of pop psychology, intertwined w/h ...more
Kay
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was amazed @ how blatantly honest Edward was about his past before Guidepost years ... I think this struck me the most ... Yes there were other stories of folks who moved past 'hard' times ... However ever chapter you learned a wee bit more about the author that kept me reading ... Millie is a lucky girl to have such a devoted 'Daddy' ... Julee & Edward are blessed to have each other ... I am so glad Julee told him to be honest about himself & he did so far as I can tell (since I do no ...more
Ron
Mar 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Brutally honest but ultimately disappointing. The book reads mostly as a memoir of a life of addiction peppered with stories from the Guideposts Magazine. A raw, brutal account of struggle, the story doesn't really have a resolution, and although the title alludes to hope, I was left hanging in the end.
Lisa
Oct 23, 2011 rated it liked it
This was interesting as an insight into the alarming life of an addict and extreme alcoholic. Rather disappointing as a revelation of the spiritual life of the editor of a magazine i have always admired.
Judine Brey
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a remarkably well-balanced account of Grinnan's personal battle with alcoholism interspliced with the true accounts of others. He spells out very clearly what we need to do to create change in our lives, and his story is proof that it can work.
Clare
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is not a book for everyone.....but it resonated with me.
Rhonda
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I found it to be very interesting with his autobiography mixed in with some anecdotes of stories other people told him. We all deal with hurts hang ups and habits. It is the shared human condition.
Ali C
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Intriguing read, was somewhat disappointed initially by the emphasis on faith but got over it once i realized i should be reading in more of an anthropologic fashion.
Joe
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have been a longtime reader of Guideposts magazine and on occasion the Daily Guideposts. Edward Grinnan, the editor, was just a name in the magazine. He does introduce each issue with a brief "blurb" about what is in the latest issue and some random thoughts. Like all authors, you generally get to know the person from his work and such was the case for my "relationship" with Mr. Grinnan. Things changed after reading this book. His story is compelling and at time heart wrenching. The struggles ...more
Sherri
May 15, 2012 rated it liked it
I was slightly disappointed in this book. I am a great fan of Guideposts Magazine and Daily Guideposts, so I was expecting the book to be more instructive and less autobiographical.

Having said that, I should also say that as a 32 year member of Al-Anon and someone who has loved many alcoholics both sober and not, nothing that Mr. Grinnan went through was a surprise. I have heard many stories of miraculous sobriety at meetings and conferences. But Edward Grinnan's story was a brave and true to li
Sherry Philippus
May 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not sure it's a 4-star, but higher than a 3...Fascinating insight into the life of an addict, as another reviewer stated. Thankfully, many of us don't know those details. However, I was not disappointed in Edward Grinnan's honesty, given his position as editor of Guideposts...I was humbled. ALL of us have our flaws and stumbles. If I held a job such as his, I'm not sure I would have the courage to describe my dark side so fully. Grinnan deserves to be admired and respected for the effort he has ...more
Lee
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the most powerful books I have read in a long time. A brutally honest autobiography of a Yale graduate who became a homeless alcoholic panhandling on the streets of New York, searching for cigarette butts in the gutter and suffering the dts more common in much older alcoholics. The road he took to reach this pit and his inspiring story of a stumbling climb out of it left me speechless. Edward Grinnan in now the editor-in-chief of Guideposts magazine which was started by Norman Vi ...more
Judine
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a remarkably well-balanced account of Grinnan's personal battle with alcoholism interspliced with real life stories about other people who have achieved change in their lives. Some stories are simple and light-hearted (like the tall woman who finally decided she should just get whatever shoes she wanted - heels or not), while others express the depths of humanity (like the man who took back his life by giving away millions of dollars). Using nine key concepts, Grinnan makes a clear case ...more
Ken Bickley
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really amazing book. Edward Grinnan is currently editor-in-chief of "Guideposts" magazine. However, at the age of 29 he was a hopeless alcoholic living in a Hoboken flophouse. In this book, for the first time, he tells the story of his transformation. Mixed in with his own story he gives short glimpses of other people's life stories too; it's his own, though, that catches and holds your attention. No matter where you are in your life journey, you will find inspiration in this "do-it-no ...more
Malinda Gottschalk
This book is an excellent read. Mr. Grinnan weaves his story in with the story of others well. If you're looking to make changes in your life read this book. It will encourage you to keep moving forward. Mr. Grinnan, I have loved what I have known of you for years now. Knowing more about you and your journey makes me love you more. I am even more thankful to day that you are a part of my life through Guideposts, Daily Guideposts and now The Promise of Hope.
Dee
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Edward Grinnan is an excellent writer. Word pictures flow in this story of his own life crises and how his current role has led him to other people and their stories. All these stories focused on nine concepts starting with Honesty and finishing with Love show how he and others have grown through the difficult parts of their lives. It gives us all a structure to look at our own lives and see where we've grown and how we can continue to grow.
Doug
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is uplifting, but not in a gallery, everything is "unicorns and glitter" way. Grinnan recounts his struggles with alcoholism, while mixing in the stories of others. He notes 9 keys to personal change. While these are good, it's clear that he found his success through the 12 Steps of AA. It's an excellent way to understand the mind of an alcoholic. Difficult to put it down!
Flora Reigada
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was amazed with the candor with which this editor-in-chief of Guideposts Magazine discussed his struggles with depression and addiction, and his ultimate recovery. It is an inspiring book that can be a companion to anyone struggling with these issues.
Lela
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, favorites
One of the best books I have ever read! Very inspiring, true stories -- especially the author's story. Perseverance is the key to getting through many situations. You will be very encouraged and uplifted. He is a great writer. A must-read!
Charlsa
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very inspiring, encouraging, and incredible.
Dick Harding
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I found the authors story which is interwoven throughout the book to be remarkable. Some of the others stories (all are true) were good others didn't resonate with me.
Joyce
Oct 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The most inspiring book I've ever read. His stories of how he overcame addiction, personal setbacks and tragedies are remarkable.
Cathy
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you are a fan of Guideposts magazine, you should read this memoir. It is an amazing testament to resiliency and faith, with guidelines to help through the struggles one may face.
Kecia Lowe
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a very interesting book, part memoir and part summary of some very influential stories the author encountered during his tenure as editor in chief at Guideposts.
Kelly
Jan 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read this in bits as part of my "morning readings." Very inspirational & well written without being "preachy."
Greg
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
nice idea, cute stories; not so great writing.
Rebecca Lentz
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Uplifting stories, inspiring!
Elizabeth7781
Jan 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: biographies
I so admire Edward Grinnan, and resonate with his writing. He is editor-in-chief of Guideposts magazine, which I've read for many years now.
May 07, 2016