Start by marking “Either Side Of Winter” as Want to Read:
Either Side Of Winter

Either Side Of Winter

3.2  ·  Rating details ·  91 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Executed with sympathy, tenderness and emotional nuance, the four parts of this novel come together to form a picture of people whose lives are inextricably linked by circumstance, community and a need to be loved.
Paperback
Published by Faber & Faber (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Either Side Of Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Either Side Of Winter

Tina Tamman
I loved the first half of this book. It was so beautifully written and somewhat mysterious (why was Amy crying every night, as the very first sentence says). I had not yet worked out where we were going and I like surprises. By the time I finished the third episode (it is really a novel made up of loosely-linked novellas) I began to resent its pervasive melancholy. I also felt there were too many details about too many characters: who was whose father and mother, etc. I could no longer take in w ...more
Amy
Nov 05, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was OK. It's four slightly overlapping novellas, the last two of which fit together best and are the most interesting. I found myself not caring at all about the characters in the first two. Overall so-so.
Madeline
Sep 28, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Taking this immediately to the nearest Little Free Library.
Emi Bevacqua
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I like how neatly these four stories fall into their own respective season; each could stand alone as a short story but they fit together collectively just so, with their overlapping characters and subject matter - a year in the lives of select students and teachers at a singular New York City high school. I was just going to comment on the unifying father/daughter theme that runs throughout, when I read that Fathers and Daughters is actually the title this book is published under in the US. I w ...more
Anni
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kilean
Feb 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Broken into three separate sections that could easily be read as novellas. All three of the main protags in each section are teachers or loosely attached to a teacher and all three stories are connected. Clean, sparse prose with a whole lot of emotion. Admirable writing really, not easy to mimic -- to keep the sentences so short and the emotional tone strong throughout. Actually, this is a pretty damn melancholy book and probably best read in the wintertime. It's also really strong.
Kathy jenkins
Took a bit to get into. I felt like I was reading some prized student's work. The words form carefully constructed sentences that leave me wishing I had taken more lit classes so I could better describe what I read. Once I got past that bit of intimidation I realized I was interested in the story of four individuals whose lives intersect but whose stories are told separately. Interesting reading although it makes me glad I am not a new yorker.
Meg
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It feels like this took me forever to finish because I was bored. Ten days is forever for a les than 300 page book. Could have been much better than it was, too little dialogue with too much unnecessary narration. Also, I dislike when writers use the word pregnant to describe anything other than an actual pregnancy. In this case, the earth/world was pregnant with spring several times.
Claudia
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Four loosely connected novellas about teachers and pupils and fathers and daughters. I liked Markovits's writing style a lot, but I didn't enjoy the book itself because at no point of the story did I manage to emotionally connect to or even care about any of the characters. A rather frustrating, unrewarding read.
Andrea
May 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from the goodreads giveaways. I had a hard time getting into the book, and as someone else stated in an earlier review I didnt feel a connection to the characters, whcih made it hard to care what happened to them. It was an ok read, but I personally could not get emotionally invested in it.

Shannon
Feb 10, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wont-finish
Although I by no means read this book carefully, the writing was very confusing, choppy, and generally unclear. I found the first story to be boring and odd. While the message was good, it wasn't worth the 63 pages it took to get it to it.
Val
May 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
Not as good as his series inspired by Byron.
Lorri Steinbacher
OK, I guess.
Mallika
3.5 actually. a lovely overlap of love and the struggles of loosing a loved one.
Tina
Jun 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice idea but really slow and I got bored.
georginagem