Start by marking “When Passion Rules” as Want to Read:
When Passion Rules

When Passion Rules

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  3,446 Ratings  ·  302 Reviews
#1 New York Times bestselling author Johanna Lindsey weaves a marvelous adventure set in the tumultuous world of continental royalty, where a stolen princess discovers a kingdom she was meant to inherit—and a passion made to rule her heart.

Forced to flee Napoleon’s rampaging army on the continent, orphaned Alana Farmer and her eccentric guardian make a new home for themsel
Published June 2011 by Simon and Schuster

To ask other readers questions about When Passion Rules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Passion Rules

Eva Carrión
Precioso!
Vaso
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Δεν έτυχε να διαβάσω άλλο βιβλίο της Lindsey και είναι καιρός που έχω να διαβάσω κάτι από HR. Το συγκεκριμένο μου άρεσε πολύ. Η ιστορία κυλάει, δεν βαλτώνει, οι χαρακτήρες είναι απλοί κ καθημερινοί. Ένα ρομαντικό μυθιστόρημα, για ένα ελαφρύ και εύπεπτο ανάγνωσμα.
Chrissa Vasileiou
3,5/5 αστεράκια.

Μια ωραία ιστορία,εύπεπτη,καλογραμμένη,χωρίς πολλές φιοριτούρες ή γεγονότα που θα εντυπωσιάσουν τον αναγνώστη ή θα του μείνουν στη μνήμη. Χαρακτήρες ευχάριστοι μεν,αλλά χωρίς αυτήν την περιβόητη σπίθα που συναντάμε στους Μάλορι,για παράδειγμα. Θυμίζει κλασικό Άρλεκιν - με την καλή έννοια. Βέβαια είναι πολύ ακριβότερο από εκείνα και ναι,έχω διαβάσει κλασικά Άρλεκιν με τρομερά ενδιαφέρουσες υποθέσεις,ενώ τούτο εδώ συγκριτικά είναι αρκετά light. Ακόμα και το μεγάλο μυστικό,την ταυτ
Carrie Huot
The plot of this book was good. The plot, although not unique, was good enough for me to not give this book a completely terrible review. The romance, on the other hand, can be summed up with one word- atrocious. I did not like the "hero" of this novel at all. He alternates between humiliating the main character -- whose name I have already forgotten -- and being irritating and controlling. Even if a man was really attractive, I don't know how those type of actions could cause anyone to fall in ...more
Lisa
This could have been a fantastic book. The base plot was very good and had all the elements needed to keep tensions high.

Princess Alana is kidnapped as an infant and raised by the assassin who had been sent to kill her. Now she's 18 and needed back in her home country to prevent a war. But when she gets there, she finds she has to get through Christoph, the captain of the guard, before she can see her father, the king. Meanwhile the person who hired the assassin was never caught and there are c
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Angeline's review posted on Guilty Pleasures

4.5 Stars and a Recommended Read

I read some of the other reviews for When Passion Rules by Johanna Lindsey before I knew I was reviewing it myself. They were all over the place. What I found interesting is that those that did not rate the book very high wrote very unkind reviews. It’s those kinds of reviews that are not helpful to readers. They are not helpful to authors either. Honest, constructive opinions win out over malicious, unhelpful negativity
Caz
Okay. So I admit that this isn’t a book that would normally have been near the top of my TBR pile. I haven’t read it before, haven’t read any reviews and only had the synopsis to go on; and decided that while it sounded okay, I wasn’t going to bust a gut when I’ve got so many other things I want to read.

BUT. Then I discovered that Rosalyn Landor had narrated the audiobook, and as I’ve been glomming her stuff big time lately, I changed my mind.

This is one of those times when I think the performan
Melanie
Oct 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I reviewed this novel for my blog www.bookworm2bookworm.wordpress.com

I used to await with abated breath for one of Johanna's books. It was always a pleasure to open them, be it hardcover or paperback. There was never a doubt in my mind that every story she puts out would be devoured, savored and long remembered. With years and the avalanche of crop of young authors of romance putting their stamp and feet forth, Johanna's stories kept coming, but to me they were now a bit `behind' the times. Does
Elle

This one gets three stars because it's a decent story. Lots of intrigue, adventure, a whodunit and a HEA that, while you expect it, doesn't really seem that easy to reach at times. But the story also loses a couple stars because there were things I tripped over. Start with the fact that while this is a "historical" romance, the country the heroine comes from is fictitious. I'm enough of a history wonk that I'm disappointed when the story isn't based on actual history. Then there's the fact that
Lynn
Sep 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting book because it is set in a completely fictional country of Lubinia -- some cross between Latvia and Lithuanian ... maybe with snow and mountains and lakes with thin ice cover.

Alana is a young woman raised in "civilized" London by Poppie, a man she calls uncle. When she is 18 years of age her uncle reveals that despite the fact that he has started orphanages and helped dishonored genteel ladies -- he hasn't always been such an impeccable gentleman. There in lies the start
Pamela(AllHoney)
Not her best but not her worst either. I liked it but wasn't overly wowed over it. I liked the characters. Though for a few pages I had my doubts about the hero. There were some interesting twists that kept the story moving at a good pace.
Romance_reader
this book is just meh. no sign of the usual spark found in other JL books and the characters weren't very exciting either. I found myself skimming over most pages due to sheer boredom, so it's definitely not something I can recommend to anyone. two stars!
Wendy
Pretty good. I think I would have finished this read sooner, if I hadn't spent so much time at "ogling" the beaufiful man on the cover!
Zulqa'ida Rizha Vahlevi
Tentang siapa pemimpin pemberontak belumlah terungkap.
Tentang siapa yang Braune sebut sebagai "mereka" belumlah tersibak.
Karena Auberta hanya mengakui kejahatan delapan belas tahun silam, tidak dengan kejahatan yang dikemukakan Braune.
Lover of Romance
After reading Let Love Find You, I was pretty disappointed. Johanna Lindsey is one of the first authors I read from and loved when I first starting reading romance...especially historical romance. I have always enjoyed the majority of her books, especially her earlier ones and the Malory series. So I was a bit anxious when I got When Passion Rules from the library. Even though I just LOVED the cover I knew I might not love the story. It started out a bit slower than I expected, but once it picke ...more
Debbie
Aug 21, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a little surprised at all the negative things I heard about this book. While not up to par with her Mallory books I still enjoyed it a lot. I loved Poppie, the man who raises Alana, and I wish we could have seen more of his character and there was also an orphan, Henry, that I also wish we could have seen more of because he was the cutest thing. Alana gave me mixed feelings because she had this awesome, unconventional education from Poppie that included weapons training which I loved but I w ...more
Chumchum_88
This was one kind of book that even through the characters it made me feel that it's so far-fetched a bit, but I loved every second of it, ok some moments it made me feel annoyed and frustrated.

The whole idea of a long lost princess raised by an assassin wasn't an original but I liked it her, cause Poppy was the character I liked the most, of course I liked Alana too. But mostly I felt sorry for her, suddenly being told that she's a princess and she must travel thousands of miles to claim her pl
Astri  Nasthasia Videlia
Reallyy....??? Any protest if I gave this book 5 stars..?? hahahha...

Buku ini bikin gw melek sampe jm 4 pagii... seseru ituh??? iyaaaaak.... itulah... Gw tersepona sama sosok Si Captain Christopher inih... hoooaaaahhh....

Christopher..

Christo..

Christ...

whatever how he called... He is... Awesome!!! hahhahha....

*melele* ...

.................................. .............................

*yang bersan
Blanca P.
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me ha sorprendido muy gratamente, es una bonita historia, que aunque al principio me resultó un poco densa, después consiguió engancharme. Creo que la Lindsey es casi una garantía para que sus historias te gusten ;)
Nisha
I'm really going to read this aren't I? *facepalm* Bring it on, JL.
Marie
Bintang 3.

Nama aslinya Leonard Kastner, di dunia gelap lebih dikenal sebagai Rastibon. Karena suatu keadaan yg tak menguntungkan, harus kehilangan istri dan anaknya dalam waktu yg bersamaan. Untuk melampiaskan kemarahannya ia membunuh semua orang yg berhubungan dengan kecelakaan yg menyebabkan kematian keluarganya itu. Masih dalam kemarahan yg tak terbendung jadilah ia seorang pembunuh bayaran yg paling terkenal tak pernah gagal dan ditakuti di negaranya Lubinia. Banyak order yg telah diterimany
Anita
GENRE: Adult-Romance
FORM: AudioBook
NARRATOR: Rosalyn Landor

SYNOPSIS Alana thought that the most important decisions in her life was who to marry and when, and whether she wanted to continue to teach at the orphanage her Uncle “Poppie” own and ran. Her life is instantly turned upside down when Poppie reveals that he was once an assassin who was given the assignment to kill the heir to the throne of Lubinia, which was her. Now she has to deal with the fact that she is not an ordinary girl, but a p
Beatrizz1983
Johanna, ¿Dónde estás Johanna? Por qué ya no te encuentro entre las páginas de tus libros. Por qué, antes era capaz de encontrar tu pluma inconfundible, y ahora pienso que cualquier autora podría estar firmando novelas en tu nombre.
No es sólo que la novela me haya decepcionado, que sencillamente pueda ser calificada como una novelilla de segunda de cualquier autora de romántica que conozca unos cuantos clichés. Es que me ha aburrido, y defraudado.
Siempre empiezo las novelas de Johanna Lindsey e
Gavin
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just like Once a Princess this book is set in a fictional European country where the princess and heir of that country was raised elsewhere with no idea of her true identity.

I'm sure the similar plots will annoy some people. Luckily I'm not one of those people and since Once a Princess is my favorite Lindsey book, I was looking forward to more of the same here. I was not disappointed.

The book was a fun read and both the main characters were likable enough. Christoph was one of the tamer Lindse
Seffra
4 stars!

Meet my Christophe:
Meet my Alana:
description
I haven't read a Johanna Lindsey book in quite some time and can I say, I MISSED HER!!! AND I STILL LOVE HER!!
description

This book started off slow for me but then when we met Christophe it really picked up. Johanna Lindsey really loves writing asshole-like guys..but we, her readers, fall in love with them! Christophe was such an ass but then he grew as the book progressed. He was such a sweet guy when it came to Alana's wellbeing which totally contradicted who he w
fleurette
Dec 15, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't finish it. Gave up at about 33%.

This was not my first book by Johanna Lindsey. I have already read some of her older and one of her newer books. As far as I didn't really enjoy her older ones, I was positively surprised by her new one - Let Love Find You. So I decided to give a chance to When Passion Rules.

I absolutely adore the cover of this book. I think it made me read it. Unfortunately, the cover is probably the best part of this book.

I didn't like the characters. I found Alana someho
Christine
Nov 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
One of Johanna Lindsey's best, I think. Alana finds out early in the book that she is really a princess of some tiny European kingdom, secreted away by her own assassin who couldn't bear to kill her as an infant. She returns when she turns 18 to try to stop the rebels from undermining the throne. Of course, she can't just walk up to the king and say she's his long-lost daughter. First, she has to get vetted by the captain of his guards, who doesn't believe her for a second.

I actually found myse
Viana Lazo
Jul 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love it! This book really made me love the characters!! I thought since this was a book that the settings had taken place at the 18th or 19th century it would be once again, a book that has beautiful ladies with the dilemma of finding a husband. Thank God Johanna Lindsey had once again led me to believe that she is far by one of my favorite authors!

I had read her book which is The Loving Scoundrel and I was more than happy to read about a girl that was clever and stunning. In this book the mai
Anastasia
Jan 07, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: some-romance
αντίθετα, με όλα τα προηγούμενα βιβλία της ,που με διασκέδασαν,ετούτο ξεκίνησε χλιαρά και στην πορεία,έγινε εντελώς κρύο...
Εντάξει,το ξέρω ,οτι έτσι κι αλλιώς δεν μιλάμε για λογοτεχνία υψηλού επιπέδου,μα αυτό καθόλου δεν αναιρεί την απόλαυση μιας καλοστημένης ιστορίας,ακόμη κι αν δεν έχει βαθιές αναλύσεις,ενδοσκοπήσεις,συγκαλυμμένα νοήματα,πολλαπλές κ διαφορετικές αναγνώσεις-κάποτε,κάποιοι, χρειαζόμαστε και το παραμύθι!...
Όμως!...αυτό εδώ το βιβλίο μοιάζει να το έγραψε η συγγραφέας απλά γιατί έπ
Lupdilup Duffy
Jul 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.1/2
I had pretty low expectations, but actually this was pretty good, I never read/listened to Johanna Lindsey before, so I imagine that if this one it's not one her best,(according to most reader's opinion) she must have some excellent books I need to check out.
The narrator Rosalyn Landor does a great job with this book, and I know her male voices are not the best, but she makes up for it with her realistic way of bringing this characters and world to life.
This might be another case where the
  • The Taming of a Scottish Princess (Hurst Amulet, #4)
  • A Fiery Baptism
  • Scoundrel's Honor (Russian Connection #3)
  • Mistress to Her Husband
  • The Accidental Countess (Accidental, #2)
  • All I Want
  • The Secret Mistress (Mistress Trilogy #3)
  • Knight of Seduction
  • The Tarnished Lady (Viking I, #3)
  • Angelo's Captive Virgin
  • By Grace Possessed (The Three Graces, #2)
  • Duke Most Wanted (Heiress Brides, #3)
  • How to Seduce a Scoundrel (How To #2)
  • In Pursuit of Eliza Cynster (Cynster, #17; The Cynster Sisters Trilogy, #2)
  • Some Like It Wild (Kincaid Highland, #2)
  • Married to the Viscount (Swanlea Spinsters, #5)
  • The Dangerous Gentleman (Rogues of Regent Street, #1)
  • The Secret Duke (Malloren, #10)
Johanna Helen Howard was born on March 10, 1952 in Germany, where her father, Edwin Dennis Howard, a soldier in the U.S. Army was stationed. The family moved about a great deal when she was young. Her father always dreamed of retiring to Hawaii, and after he passed away in 1964 Johanna and her mother settled there to honor him.

In 1970, when she was still in school, she married Ralph Lindsey, becom
More about Johanna Lindsey...