Start by marking “Wild Child” as Want to Read:
Wild Child

Read Book

Wild Child

(Wild Child #1)

Briana Fox is the wildest girl in school. She and Kyle have been close for a long time...almost lovers. But Kyle is afraid that if he pushes her, he'll have his heart broken and lose his best friend. When Briana challenges him to a swim across the lake, she's injured in a horrific accident, but she discovers a mysterious substance in an underwater cave that saves her life. ...more
Published (first published February 28th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Wild Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wild Child

Start your review of Wild Child
Rebecca McNutt
Nineteen-year-old Kyle and Briana have been best friends for years. At times Kyle wishes that their friendship could be something more, but he keeps this to himself for fear of losing her as a companion. When they're out boating together, Briana gets hurt and nearly dies, but she's saved by some strange green water that floats at the bottom of the lake. Kyle is rather skeptical, but soon Briana develops a ritual of returning to the lake all the time. It's quickly apparent that there's more to ...more
Katy
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody
Recommended to Katy by: Mike Wells
Shelves: ebook
Please note: I read in July 2011 from a copy provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

My Synopsis: A fast-paced novella, Wild Child explores when happens when Briana the wild child of the title and her best friend Kyle discover a mysterious spring of glowing green water in an underwater cavern. While it heals Bri from wounds received in an accident, and makes her feel wonderful, its effects are also short-term and she must return or her wounds begin to reform and she feels weak
Jessica offerman
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
More????

It was good. A fast read left me wanting more
Some confusion as to why it ended where it did but I guess that's how they real you in to buy the next book. I prefer books that have an ending though
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
(Source: Downloaded for free from Amazon.co.uk.)
This is a story about 19-year-old Kyle and his best friend Briana. One day while they are out on his fathers boat, Briana convinces Kyle to go for a swim, but disaster strikes.
A speed boat whizzes straight towards Briana, and she disappears from sight.

Kyle knows that the boat must have hit Briana, but he has no idea what he should do, so he goes back to the boat.
Not long after, Briana reappears at the side of the boat as shes fine! She has however
Adisha Kariyawasam
What a fantastic book!

I read this in a few hours. Great fast-paced story with excellent realistic character interaction and dialogue.

Of particular note are the tense scenes with 'Brains and Brawn' and differences of opinion between Kyle Dunlap Jnr and Kyle Snr - Great portrayal of adolescent angst.
I loved reckless Briana Fox's reference to the 1954 B movie 'The Creature from the Black Lagoon'. So appropriate!

The story was also very humorous in places too and that was an added bonus!

It's easy
Sally Griffin
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
I didn't really like this story but it had its good points. It is easy to read and not too long which I found suited this story as there isn't much too it. Kyle, the protagonist, is a relatively likeable character. Briana, however, is a shallow one dimensional girl. I found it hard to understand why Kyle liked her. The other characters are skimmed over and don't really have much personality too them. Really there could have been less of them and the story wouldn't have suffered.

Over all it's a
Sarah Barnard
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
A boy takes his Dad's boat without permission to go out on a lake with the friend he's not meant to be with. While out on the water there's an accident and Wild Child deals with the aftermath of that accident, and with what might have been.

My big complaint with this book is that it's too short! Also, the ending left me wanting to turn the (virtual) page and look for more, what happens next? How does Kyle feel after what he did? Does he go back?

Will there be a sequel?

Aha! Looking at Mike's
Karolina Kutryb
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wild Child is a short, very fast-paced book, which is taking the reader to the mysterious world of unknown. Even though from the very beginning plot seems to be quite realistic, there is something extraordinary hidden in the lake. I completely understand, why on Google Play the novela is recommended for the "fans of Stephen King and J.K. Rowling". It's written with the similar kind of language and you just can't put it away even for a moment.
Dawn Vanniman
Jun 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
WILD CHILD was a fast-paced read. I finished the book in one night - not because it was easy or simple, but because it was fast-paced and exciting. If you like mystery and drama, you'll like this story. If anything, I would have liked a bit of back story for Brianna and Kyle - I felt like I was missing out on some good stuff. However, it's not needed, I just wanted it, the story stands on its own without any back story at all. Brianna is injured by a boat and Kyle thinks she's dead but she ...more
Marie Malyon
Mar 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
When I started reading this I was expecting a novel, but instead I was presented with a perfectly formed short story. Taking me just over 2 hours to read this book sucked me into the murky depths of the lake with Kyle and Brianne (referred to in the book as Brie) and only came up gasping for air once I had finished. I had read reviews that it was gripping and fast paced but I didn't really understand what this meant until I began reading. The YA themes of teenage defiance of parental rules and ...more
Gayle Francis Moffet
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
To call this book fast-paced would be an understatement. Every chapter has a new twist, a new fear, and a new problem. It's got the feeling of an old pulp novel--lots of intrigue and action-oriented characters. It's a fast, fun read that I barely put down.

If I wished anything for it, it would be a few thousand more words, but that's a minor quibble brought on by my enjoyment of the work and my interest in the characters. There's a sequel coming out in just over two weeks, and I will be eagerly
Alan McDermott
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Although it wasn't the kind of book I would normally seek out I had heard good things about it. It tells the story of a couple of teenagers who discover a substance with incredible properties. I won't go into any further detail as it will spoil the read, but suffice it to say the government want their share, theough one of the teenagers isn't sure they want it for the right reasons.

Very well written and had me turning the pages. In fact, I read the whole thing in a few short hours.

Nice, snappy
Shirley
Jun 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Mike Wells did a great job of packing so much action into such a quick read. Brie and Kyle were great main characters and my only complaint is that I wanted to know more. I will definitely read any sequels written for this book. If you like total twists when it comes to endings and you have a couple of hours to kill, this is the book for you. Trust me, once you start reading, you won't want to put it down until you see how it ends.
Erin
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a free download that I read while at work. It was either this or an awfully dry, boring book that I brought with me. Reading the book I brought was equivalent to plucking my eyeballs out; I gave up reading it on page 3.

Anyway, back to THIS book... aside from the obvious juvenile dialogue with members of the government, I really enjoyed this book. I probably would love it if I were still in Middle School.
Desiree reilly
Jun 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
i got the book awhile a go and it is great Brie and Kyle get into dads boat and then what happen next you would not believe it. Brie get hit by a boat and disappears. Were to kyle does not not but she come up with mark on here and green in her eyes. The green stuff is form a cave deep in the other side lake and it has healing powers to no one will not know the book is good read it and in joy it
Larina
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Unputdownable

Why oh why is this a cliffhanger I hate cliffhanger book. Wild child left me saying what the fudge! This book was pretty awesome. It was fast past and by the time I turned the page they flew by and then the book was done. I really liked wild child. I loved it had romance but no sex. It had mystery yet never explained the mystery. Where the heck did the green waters come from... Would you drink it knowing it would make you feel like a million buck? Knowing me I would.
Corrine
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wild Child is a short yet gripping story about Briana and Kyle who went boating and swimming in a lake. Briana's accident led into the discovery of a greenish spring water in a cave, under the cliff. But it's miraculous healing power wears off making her dependent on it.

A short engaging read. I finished too soon.
Rita
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book. The plot was very unexpected and interesting. I thought the story was very clever. I was surprised at the outcome of the first book of this series! I was glad to have read it and want to read more of course!
Michelle Lynn Westmoreland
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great Read

This book is different than anything else I have read before, in a good way. I love the characters and the way the story was written. I can't wait to read the next one in the series.
Ray Lock
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An exciting read from start to finish, about 2 characters Kyle and Brianna and their adventures. This book had me turning every single page wanting to find out what happened next, and before I knew it, I was buying books two and three. :)
nikki
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Quick read love it

Love it can't wait to read the next one. Quick read but great for wasting some time. Fun fun fun
Mbali
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very good

Very good book but unfortunately book two is not free😃😕 but still I enjoyed book one. I'd recommend to everyone
Kelvin Reed
Mar 04, 2017 rated it liked it
"Wild Child" (2014) by Mike Wells is an engaging novella about Briana and Kyle, two late teenagers who discover a secret fountain that gives the drinker amazing healing and superhuman powers. The story is interesting. However, when I downloaded it two years ago it was presented as a standalone story, not part of a three-part series. (With a new cover, it is now.) Although I want to know what happens next, I dont plan to get the next two installments just on principle. Buying Book 1 alone is not ...more
Pretty in Fiction
Jul 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviews-by-kira
Review originally posted on Pretty in Fiction.

Title: Wild Child
Author: Mike Wells
Rating: 3.4 stars

This eBook is FREE! Get your copy here.

Wild Child is a fast paced novella by author Mike Wells. Honestly I found this book to be a great, rough read with lots of potential, which is why I give it 3.4/5-stars.

Dulcy
Apr 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Publisher: Self-published by Mike Wells
Age: Middle-Grade
Species: Human/ Modified Humans
Rating: 3.5/5
Interest: Book from author/ Requested review/ 200 in 2011

The only reason I've given Wild Child a 3.5 is length.

I was captivated by the story, interested in the characters' lives and sincerely looking forward hearing more about the "wonder drug." The book ended too quickly for me. Many topics and issues could have been explored at greater length and I was sort of disappointed they weren't.

A great
Kira
Jul 05, 2011 rated it liked it

The story is about Kyle Dunlap (Jr.) and his best friend, Briana Fox, who, while swimming in the lake in their town, meets with a horrible accident. Gravely injured, Briana manages to fight her way to a mysterious spring hidden deep under the lake that washes away all her wounds and leaves her in a euphoric highbut the cure is
Nina
May 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wild Briana Fox and level-headed Kyle Dunlap were close friends who love to hang around in Kyle's boat, until one day, an accident occurred that led Briana to discover a mysterious 'power drug' in a cave. With government agents trailing on their heels, Kyle must decide how far he would go to protect his friend.

And that, dear readers, is Wild Child by Mike Wells.

This story was very fast-paced and urgent, you would never put the book down once you started it, which is quite easy since this novel
Em
May 14, 2011 rated it liked it
So I got a copy of this book recently from the author himself, and I can honestly say that after reading the wild story about what it took to get this book published...I wanted to read it even more! I love that this book is such a good read that Wells is totally "sticking it to the man" by it being such a success & so popular.

Okay, so the main characters Brie & Kyle are great. The title and cover art definitely depict the "wild child" that Brie is...throughout the entire book I
Jess - The Tales Compendium
Wild Child is a short, fantasy story set in America about Kyle and Briana, who discover magical green water in a cave under the cliffs where they are swimming. When government agents become aware of the abnormal water, they make it clear to Kyle that they'll stop at nothing to gain access to it, but as Briana's life hangs in the balance, Kyle is put in an impossible situation.

My only criticisms are that it took me a while to figure out how old Kyle and Briana were. At the beginning, Briana acted
Rabiah
Apr 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Originally Posted at: http://iliveforreading.blogspot.com/2...

Wild Child is a short Sci-Fi/Fantasy story (around 100 book pages) but it's SO original! I mean, the whole concept, of finding the new substance, it's properties so different from anything else, and then the ending which really shocked me, is all new different material. I think that even though it's a lot to take in, it was well told and every detail was fit in without seeming rushed.

There wasn't too much of description for the
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A French Girl in New York (The French Girl #1)
  • Diary of a Teenage Superhero (Teen Superheroes, #1)
  • Mind Secrets (Perceivers #1)
  • Starstruck (Starstruck, #1)
  • UnEnchanted (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, #1)
  • Different (Tainted Elements, #1)
  • Out of a Dream (Sandy Cove #1)
  • Chosen by Grace (Divine Fate, #1)
  • The Chronicles of Kerrigan: Box Set Books 1-6
  • Dollhouse (Dark Carousel #1)
  • BeSwitched (BeSwitched, #1)
  • Five Tales of Horror and Suspense
  • The Bottle Stopper (The Paper Duchess #1)
  • Fiddleback
  • One Star
  • Classic Ghost Stories: By Charles Dickens, M.R. James, Washington Irving, Lewis Carroll, Oscar Wilde and more
  • Who Killed the Bears? A Ghost Story - Inspired by True Events.: (Book One) The Legacy
  • Teen Fury: Unleashed
Email me at mike (at) mikewellsbooks.com or follow me on Twitter (@MikeWellsAuthor) and get a FREE copy of one of my bestselling books. I'm an American author best known for my Lust, Money & Murder series and and written more than 25 other thriller and suspense novels. I also have taught in the Creative Writing program at Oxford. I'm known for my super fast-paced, 'unputdownable' books.

Please

Wild Child (3 books)
  • Lilith (Wild Child, #2)
  • The Patriarch (Wild Child, #3)