Start by marking “Mouseschawitz - My Summer Job of Concentrated Fun (Tales of a Disney Cast Member)” as Want to Read:

liked it 3.0  ·  Rating details ·  228 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Though set at Disney World, this collection is far from Disneyesque (as if the title wasn't a giveaway.) Mouseschawitz - My Summer Job of Concentrated Fun - is Part 1 of a short collection of essays from an ex theme park employee and the unbelievable feats she witnessed one summer. From deadly wildlife to celebrity encounters, to guests attempting makeshift abortions on ri ...more
Nook, Part 1, 0 pages
Published March 21st 2011 by TickingBoxes.com (first published March 20th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Mouseschawitz - My Summer Job of Concentrated Fun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mouseschawitz - My Summer Job of Concentrated Fun

Amy
Jun 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a quick read. It felt gossipy and fun. I enjoyed a small glimpse of the dark side of the mouse without feeling like it was negative or judgemental.
Sheryl
Jun 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
2-1/2 Stars

I enjoyed the beginning of this mini-book of short essays, but I was disappointed by the somewhat gruesome turn it took towards the end. I love to "people watch" whenever I am at Disney and hearing some of the customer stories she observed was hilarious. If the book had more of those experiences, I would have rated it much higher. It was the addition of two stories in particular that soured my enjoyment of this piece. While the story about the cast member injury in Mr. Toad's Wild Rid
Bruce Sarte
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Disney fans come together! Grab Mouseschawitz and you’ll learn a thing or two about the “Happiest Place on Earth” that you never thought you’d read!

Mouseshawitz is the recounting of one person’s experience during her summer job working for The Mouse. Her style is entertaining and informative in this straight forward and to the point collection of anecdotes. Through her detailed retelling of her summer experiences, you’ll feel like you are going with her in the uniformly cut “butch, colorless cow
Melinda Elizabeth
Jun 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
Mouseschawitz is a book that is too scared to hit up its title content. The book is dramatically short - if this was in paper format I would expect it to be 20 pages long at most. If it had actually tackled the reasons behind the loving nickname of 'Mouseschawitz', there would have been more value in reading this book.

In its current form, its rather more a few short stories of the most headlining, dramatic things that happened at Disney World that won't get the author sued. Because she's very c
Nique
Jun 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
I had fun reading these essays, because it's always fun to hear the different stories of "Cast Members" (since I was one at a Disney store and I know shenanigans happen). It's true, some of the stories are horrifying...but that's what makes it interesting. This is the stuff people never get to hear...and the title IS "Mouseschawitz", after all. I also thought it was interesting to hear the performer's point of view while going through the stressful audition process and hearing of the different t ...more
Lucie
Sep 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
I'll try to write a review as short as possible because I don't want it to have more words than the book itself. It's actually a collection of short stories. I didn't feel comfortable with the writing style, and I felt the stories were so exaggerated.
I didn't understand very well what she wanted to express... she compares the theme park as a concentration camp but she seemed to have a great time that summer, and she also got paid!
Really, I don't get it...
Kelly
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
As a theme park alumnus as well, I laughed outright reading this book. I had the fortunate position of being a park employee but not have to wear the park uniform, so I could do whatever I wanted as I was in plain clothes, yet all my friends were in the uniform/character outfits that demanded a certain weight/appearance/behavior/etc. Short story of her experience in the most magical place on earth, it's a quick read that is worth the insight to a day in the life.
Elece Smith
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I honestly thought the book was pretty interesting. Mouseschawitz is a short book (only 18 pages) filled with quick anecdotes mostly about the things in the park that you don't hear about but should probably know. I read it while I rode to Disneyworld with my family. It proved that although it is the happiest place on Earth, craziness does go down in Disney. It was a quick read and I recommend it for anyone who's skeptical about the "magic" of disney
Courtney
May 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
The title is definitely clever, and this short bit of fluff is reasonably well written, but none of the stories weer comedically horrific enough to really be considered as hellaciously soul sucking as the Holocaust-evoking title would suggest. Still, it's a pleasant enough book to kill half an hour with.
Jane Doe
Jun 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best in-your-face satires I've read lately. Fast-paced and funny, a little gruesome, a lot irreverant, and just plain fun. Not for the politically correct or faint of heart. LOVED it!!
Jane Doe
Jun 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love dark satire and fearless writers! This is a great combination that spoofs my favorite vacation destination! I loved this!
Debbie Sabol samilenko
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's always interesting to hear some behind the scenes stories from cast members at WDW ... the last story had my jaw dropped!
Artin Safari
Jun 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Maybe not the most politically correct title, but an extraordinarily great sense of humor and completely worth the 20 minute read.
Gabrielle
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
worth the read. I don't think I ever tried to imagine what it was like to work at Disneyland, but now that I know. well, I know and knowing was worth the $2.99 I paid kindle to read it.
Sarah Wright
May 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Very humorous read!
Donna Nickerson
Dec 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting.
Tisha Eaton
Far

Too short. Interesting book with a good voice but not nearly enough stories left me wanting more and literally saying "that's it?"
Tanya
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very short & nothing all that interesting.
Giddy Girlie
Sep 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommended by Kindle and impressed with the preview, I bought this book and looked forward to some crazy "behind the ears" stories. What the description failed to say is that this IS NOT a book. It's essentially a 3 part essay, maybe 30 pages. Half of it covers her disappointing auditions which might hold interest for those who are unfamiliar with the 'cattle call' and runway model air of interviewing for Disney (mass interviews where you must actively compete with other people in the room; bei ...more
Paul Seneca
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be sharply written, fairly offensive and a lot of fun. It's short - just a couple of essays - but worth a read. I would probably read anything else this author puts out. She has a unique style and a great sense of humor.
Jen
Oct 05, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a very quick read. Kind of interesting, definitely a few shocking parts, but I was expecting a little bit more from this. I think if she had written a little less about her auditions and getting the job itself, she could've said more about what it was actually like in the park.
Rachel
Jul 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
Too short to fully capture what's it like to be a DCM. I could get more stories from a family member that worked there. Plus, this had more park guest issues more than anything.
Alexis Saltzman
Aug 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
This had the potential to be funny and interesting, but didn't quite make it.
Rob
Dec 25, 2011 rated it did not like it
Most expensive 30 kindle pages ever, outdated (pre-Internet anecdotes?) and not even close to worth it. This should absolutely be a free download. Ripoff.
Margaret
Jul 19, 2011 rated it did not like it
Mildly interesting.
Cindy
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A humorous look at some of the stuff that happens when you work at Disney.
Keri
Jul 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
Crap. Don't believe a word of it.
Jessica
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
See, THIS was the juicy type of Disney memoir I've been aching for. Hilarious, almost unbelievable stories. My only gripe was that it was so short! I spent 2.99 on only a few minutes of reading. :/
Myka
It started a little boring then picks up a bit, had it's funny moments, but at the end it was too short, too sporadic, and at the end it just cuts off in the middle of something.
Patrick O'keeffe
rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Walt Disney World (Little-Known Facts about Well-Known Places)
  • Cast Member Confidential: A Disneyfied Memoir
  • Mousetrapped
  • Stories from a Theme Park Insider
  • Mousejunkies!: Tips, Tales, and Tricks for a Disney World Fix: All You Need to Know for a Perfect Vacation
  • Story (Walt Disney Animation Studios: The Archive Series)
  • Designing Disney's Theme Parks: The Architecture of Reassurance
  • It's Kind Of A Cute Story
  • Retail Hell
  • The Key to the Kingdom: Unlocking Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom
  • Disney's Aladdin: The Making of an Animated Film
Angela Lovell is an award-winning playwright, director, screenwriter, essayist, podcaster, writing instructor, sex columnist, and critic of film, theatre, and music. Her work has appeared in VICE Magazine, Huffington Post, BUST, High Times, Marie Claire, The L Magazine, Common Ties, Match.com, and The New York Press. She's written for MTV, several film studios, and is currently writing her first g ...more
More about Angela Lovell...

Nonfiction Deals

• Death by Living: Life Is Meant to Be Spent
    $4.99 $1.99
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Decisive: How to Make Better Choices in Life and Work
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Bobby Kennedy: The Making of a Liberal Icon
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Tao of Bill Murray: Real-Life Stories of Joy, Enlightenment, and Party Crashing
    $11.99 $2.99