Start by marking “Truth Be Told: Off the Record about Favorite Guests, Memorable Moments, Funniest Jokes, and a Half Century of Asking Questions” as Want to Read:

Truth Be Told is a revealing and irresistibly entertaining look back on Larry's remarkable run at CNN, and an honest look at Larry's own life behind the scenes. After more than a half-century of asking questions, Larry King suddenly found everyone wanted answers from him. Was Larry King Live, CNN's highest rated program, ending after three decades? Was Larry getting divorc ...more
Published May 31st 2011 by Hachette Books

To ask other readers questions about Truth Be Told, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Truth Be Told

Start your review of Truth Be Told: Off the Record about Favorite Guests, Memorable Moments, Funniest Jokes, and a Half Century of Asking Questions
Samir Dhond
I got a message on my Facebook wall that “Truth Be Told,” Larry King’s book on his journey as a talk show host would be released in few days. I decided to order the book since I have admired Larry for many years. I have also spent some of my lonely evenings watching his show. Needless to say, he has an uncanny ability to get his guests to speak up. I wonder what he does but those people speak like free-wheeling cannon on his show.

[image]I just finished reading the book and I am disappointed to s
Angela
Nov 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
There are few people that I truly feel envious of, but Larry King is one of them. I particularly enjoyed the stories about his friendships with the people he interviewed. I also admire his persistence in not doing junk news. This is one I will be adding to my library.
Sandra Grauschopf
Dec 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
For many years, my morning ritual was to wake up and have breakfast while watching Larry King. It was such an amazing show. I couldn't guess Larry's political leanings or personal opinions by watching his interviews. He was unfailingly polite. He had such an interesting array of guests. I was heartbroken when the show ended.

This book reminded me of how much I miss watching him each day. I think our level of discourse as a country dropped the second he left the stage.

The book was highly enjoyable
Zalila Isa
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pengalaman ialah pengajaran terbaik walau dalam apa juga bidang. Buku ini menceritakan setiap pengalaman Larry King dengan pembahagian topik-topik tertentu (atau kata kunci) yang memudahkan fokus dalam pembacaan.
Bob Peterson
Jul 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting enough about his television career, however virtually no information about his long running radio show on the mutual broadcasting network. This is what I was most interested to find out about.
Stanley Lee
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very entertaining and easy read.
Elaine
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting & entertaining. ...more
Doreen Longo
Mar 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Larry King type writing and or speaking. I enjoyed his stories. Will read his biography and others books by him. Everything is off the cuff and he goes through a list of pop culture items and tells you what he thinks. What are we losing today. Well that makes you live in the past. Good idea.
Julie
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm not really interested in celebrities; I don't read the celebrity magazines or watch any of the talk shows that celebrities frequent. I have no idea who most of the movie stars are today. And I never watched Larry King Live. But Truth Be Told by Larry King was actually quite interesting. It's a memoir by the talk show host in which he shares memories and stories of his life on radio and television. The subtitle sums up the purpose of the book: Off the Record about Favorite Guests, Memorable M ...more
Margo Kelly
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've never read a book by Larry King before. I've never watched a single interview he's done on t.v. ... So why would I read his book? Simple: I was curious.

It was a quick and easy read, and for much of the book I wanted to give a five star rating, but then I got to the section on politics and more than once, I thought, "Are you kidding me?" And then there was another point where he insulted Streisand for her perfectionism but joked about a time when Trump told him his breath stunk during an int
Beth Gordon
Jan 02, 2013 rated it liked it

The only things I knew about Larry King before reading this book are that he's been around awhile, he's been married a lot, he had a talk show (though I didn't know the network), he's had heart surgery, and he wears suspenders.

After reading this book, I can only add a few more tidbits to my Larry King knowledge base: he has two young boys, his talk show was on CNN, and he's a name dropper. Although you might expect that the book will have namedropping based on the title, but it's done
Lain
Oct 03, 2012 rated it liked it
The problem is, King isn't a writer. And even though he worked with a ghostwriter , this book lacks cohesion and structure. It's choppy and disjointed, particularly the first chapter.

The rest of the book is entertaining for what it is - short anecdotes about many of King's guests, divided by topic. Unfortunately a lot of the references appeal to a certain demographic and are lost on younger readers. And spoken humor doesn't always translate to the page, leaving the reader scratching his head.

Th
Kristi
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love reading what reporters & interviewers have to say. They have all the inside scoop, they have their point of view of who they like & who they don't & usually there is a reason. I enjoyed this book almost as much as I enjoyed Walter Cronkite's book. I'm looking forward to the next step in Larry's life as a stand up comic & hoping to see him on his tour. ...more
Timothy
Mar 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Larry King has been praised and criticized for his interview style. Praised in that he made his guest comfortable which allowed them to open up. Criticized for not asking tough questions. It worked in broadcasting. But this is a book. And there are times when you wanted deeper opinions. Parts were very superficial. If your looking for depth, you won't find it here.
N.
Jul 08, 2012 rated it liked it
3.5/5 - Quick read, pretty entertaining for a deliberate name-dropping book; lots of fun anecdotes. Could have used a bit of editing because occasionally an anecdote is confusing and in the end his ego soared when he talked about his plans to become a comedian. So, not a great ending, but overall the book was a nice, light, gossipy read.
Tracy
Feb 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A lot of fun stories from throughout his career. It reminded me of an expanded version of his old USAToday column. It would have been 5 star if he would have left out his west coast take on politics. I don't need someone from LA telling me how the middle of the country thinks about politics when he couldn't be more wrong about the land between the coasts.
Rebecca
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a really fun read; however two warnings... People curse unfortunately so there are quotes that contain some of the big curse words. And the final chapter on comedy has some dirty bits as he shares sketches by other comedians.
So my advice, read it, but skip the last chapter when you get to his favorite comedians, or just skip the sketchier comedians.
Marilyn
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all time favorite books. I could not put it down. It is fall on the floor funny. It is so good that I bought it, along with another one of his books called "My Remarkable Journey".
Michael D
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Stories a plenty I've heard about Larry and Shawn, etc from friends and family members who know them well, but how much more illuminating and entertaining to hear the stories from Larry's own perspective :] Haha. One-of-a-kind, this one!!! Pure enjoyment.
Jose
Sep 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don´t agree with the reviews average. I found it very entertaining of this man´s journey. King will be always known as a entertainer who put his guests and the quality of his interviews above his own ego.
Valerie A Baker
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice read

Great book to pick up and catch a chapter then come back later. Quick wit and great to see the other side of Larry King. Loved to read his opinion and interaction with all the famous people he has met in his life and career.
Hella Comat
Nov 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I try to stay away from 'celebrity' books and I've never watched Larry King in my life, but... He has some thought provoking things to say about musicians, politicians, and humour.
Sue
Sep 09, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
truth be told is that Larry King loves talking about Larry King
ABC
May 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: teens-and-adults
Little snippets about various celebrities and political figures, nothing earth shattering.
John Van Fossen
Jun 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Entertaining and quick read. Larry is a smart guy with a great memory. He raises a lot of good points in his book on a wide range of subjects while relating them to the people he has interviewed.
Delimar
Jun 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
love the way Larry tells a story, and he has tons of great ones in this book...
Amber Whitlock
Mar 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Interesting, entertaining, educational.
Steven Spector
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Over a lifetime Larry has both listened to stories and told stories. Here is a book of his short stories. Some very short. Not James Joyce, but very readable and enjoyable. A good evening's read.
Joe E. Thompson
Dec 03, 2015
Vlad Vorobev
Sep 06, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Sandman (The Thomas Family, #1)
  • Nightscream  (The Thomas Family, #2)
  • Summer of Firefly Memories (Loon Lake, #1)
  • Summer of Dragonfly Changes (Loon Lake Series, #2)
  • The Princess Diarist
  • Rod: The Autobiography
  • Howard Stern Comes Again
  • Chasing Amanda
  • So You Think You Know Rock and Roll?: An In-Depth Q&A Tour of the Revolutionary Decade 1965-1975
  • Eye of the Needle
  • Disgrace
  • Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania
  • Letters to a Young Poet
  • The Eagle Has Landed (Liam Devlin, #1)
  • Winter Solstice
  • Birdsong: A Novel of Love and War
  • Snow in April
  • Coming Home
Larry King is an award-winning American television/radio host. Since 1985, King has hosted a nightly interview program on CNN called Larry King Live.