Start by marking “Mrs. Pollifax Unveiled (Mrs. Pollifax, #14)” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Pollifax Unveiled (Mrs. Pollifax, #14)

Mrs. Pollifax Unveiled

(Mrs. Pollifax #14)

After facing down hijackers on a flight to the Middle East and saving the lives of the passengers on board, a young American woman steps off the plane in Damascus in a blaze of celebrity and disappears. The CIA believes Amanda Pym was kidnapped, possibly murdered.

Masquerading as Amanda Pyms worried aunt, Mrs. Pollifax begins her determined search, slipping through Damascus
Published May 31st 2000 by Random House LLC (first published February 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Pollifax Unveiled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Pollifax Unveiled

Start your review of Mrs. Pollifax Unveiled (Mrs. Pollifax, #14)
Linda Hart
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last of the Mrs Pollifax spy series, set in Syria, is easy reading, fun, and completely unbelievable, but read for entertainment value only this is a good choice.
Andrea
The last of the Pollifax books, and it's been an enjoyable ride. I wouldn't quite call this 'cosey espionage' - Mrs Pollifax goes through some hard things - but she is a person who possesses a great deal of kindness and optimism (leavened by a salty dash of wry awareness) - and most of all enormous good luck. Recommended to those who want an enjoyable bit of tourism adventure.

[Note: different narrator for this one and while this narrator was competent, it really made me aware of just how good
Mark Baker
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2016
Mrs. Pollifax and her friend Farrell are off to Syria to try to find out what happened to Amanda Pym, who vanished after stopping the hijackers of a plane diverted from Egypt. They are constantly being watched and much evade their followers before they can even make contact. With the thinnest of leads, can they find the missing young woman?

This is Mrs. Pollifax, so that means we are off on another wild and fun adventure. Set in the world of 2000, its interesting to read this take on the politics
Jesse
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In her latest adventure, Mrs. P heads back to the Middle Eastdestination: Syria, this time. A very mysterious set of circumstances surrounds a plane hijacking that was averted from danger by a young American girl who walked up to a hijacker and asked for his gun, which was instrumental in freeing all of the hostages. And then, she gives a very nondescript, taciturn interview at the airport in Damascus, gets into a carthe wrong caris whisked away and is never heard from again.

Enter Mrs. Pollifax,
Valerie
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually read this a few months ago but am now just getting around to writing my review. Ah, the end of the series so it is bitter sweet. It actually ends pretty satisfyingly although the author didn't intend for it to be the end. She just died before she could write another one. I really do wish that Farrell could have found someone right for him.

What I liked most about this book was actually the author interview that happened at the end. This interview took place 8 years before Dorothy
Stacie  Haden
It's been really great getting to know you, Mrs. Pollifax. I'll miss you.

I liked this last one, it was set in Syria, and Dorothy Gilman was great about giving you great little tidbits of information. My husband is Christian Syrian, and while reading this I added a few places to my Syria Pinterest board. I learned while loving it.
Althea Ann
Last one in the series... and I have a sad feeling that it will remain the last one. It was published in 2000, Gilman's most recent book was published in 2002, and she's 87. Sigh.
Still, as with all of these, it was fun (and quick) to read. In this installment, Mrs. Pollifax is off to the Middle East again, this time to investigate the possible kidnapping of a young American woman. As usual, inquiries lead to dangerous and adventurous events...
Lorraine
Jun 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read every book in the Mrs. Pollifax series and enjoyed them all. Credible? No. Not the point. The idea of a darling little senior citizen with her flowered hats capturing villains and saving the world is fun, especially if you're a senior like me! I'd love to be hanging out with handsome sheiks, fellow secret agents and other good-lookin' dudes! Can I? Would I? Of course not ... there's the fun of it.
Joanne
May 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Always an enjoyable read.
Michele Benson
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the very last Mrs. Pollifax novel and it makes me very sad to think that there are no more to look forward to. After traveling with Emily in 14 novels of adventure, she has become a friend. In this story she travels to Syria to rescue a young women kidnapped by rebels. The political background, the descriptions of the countryside and the explanation of the specific religious beliefs of the region are what make these novels so great. That and the fact that an "older woman" is the brains ...more
Isaiah Vianese
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This final Pollifax adventure is a satisfying read, as the rest of the series has been. Mrs. P. is sent abroad to the Middle East, faces unexpected challenges with strength and intelligence, and perseveres. What has been so satisfying about this series is how consistent the books are--always charming, well plotted, and full of action.
Francisco
You read these books long enough and you began to believe that if you drove up to Langley, you would find Carstairs and Bishop talking with Mrs. Pollifax about another courier job that turns into something estraordinary.
This is the last book in the series. And its a fitting farewell to Mrs. Pollifax with one last adventure with Farrell.
Amy
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final Mrs. Pollifax adventure. I have enjoyed the ride. This one takes place in Syria, again with Farrell. I could actually read a series about him and his life. Unfortunately, that is not in the cards.
The Library Lady
These are my overall thoughts on the series, as I've just finished re-reading them.

When I originally read these books I was probably in my 20s and 30s. Now reading them, I am a lot closer to Mrs Pollifax's age, and the ageism here is really dated. I doubt if Emily P is much older than 60, and yet, there is all that "dear little old lady" stuff.

I've also found that the later books are not as good as the early ones. The addition to Cyrus to the stories forced Gilman to constantly make excuses for
itchy
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: w
i'm gonna miss you, aunt emily
Hapzydeco
In Mrs. Pollifax Unveiled, Dorothy Gilman was ahead of her time. Rescuing an American girl, Amanda Pym, from Syrian capturers could be a subject reported on a 2018 network newscast.
Marti
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful, dangerous adventure for Mrs. Pollifax and Farrell in the deserts of Syria! A nondescript young American lady ends a skyjacking stand-off and mysteriously disappears. Someone needs to find her. Enter Emily Pollifax! Great characters and exciting adventures!
Lynda
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is such fun, as well as being exciting, and each book gives you a look into another culture. Love them. Wish there were more.
 Olivermagnus
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2015
Believing an American woman has been captured or killed in Syria, the CIA calls on Emily Pollifax and free-lance agent, John Sebastian Farrell to travel to Syria and investigate. Rumors suggest that Amanda Pym is still alive after having been kidnapped six weeks earlier. When Mrs. Pollifax and Farrell arrives in Damascus and checks into the hotel, Mrs. Pollifax finds a message that directs them to go to the Citadel. Things really heat up as Farrell gets taken into police custody. Traveling the ...more
Stephanie
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the final book in the Mrs. Pollifax series. I read and enjoyed all of them. They were not all as good as the first book, which was my favorite. I enjoyed the series very much. Although by reading them one after the other I noticed a pattern in the mysteries that had I read other books in between I may not have picked up on, I am not sure - but it didn't keep me from reading the next book in the series nor was I disappointed.
These are not the most cliff hanging, page turning, suspense
Donna
This was a challenge read and I just thought it was okay. This is not my kind of mystery book. I appreciated the effort put into the research for when this was written. For me, that was the most interesting part.

It was the 'everything else', that just left me saying, "meh." The characters were so 1 dimensional. There was obvious back story on the main characters that was assumed. Since I haven't read any other books in this series, I didn't know what the back story was and to be honest, I really
Melissa
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this light spy-rescue novel. Amanda Pym saves a planeful of passengers from highjackers, and then walks off the plane and is kidnapped herself. But who is she? Details about her past are sketchy in the extreme. And where is she?

Mrs. Pollifax is sent to Syria to find and rescue Amanda, with her good friend Farrell has back up. The plot goes about as you might expect.

What was interesting was the perspective on Syria from 2000, when Assad the elder was still in power. One or two lines seem
Janet Mahlum
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mrs. Pollifax and her co-hort, John Sebastian Farrell, are off to Syria to rescue an American girl who may or may not have been kidnapped and who may or may not even be alive. At least this time Mrs. Pollifax has a partner and they were warned this could be a very dangerous mission. Jacoby is at the American Embassy in Damascus and I worried that he might be the same Jacoby in the Golden Triangle who was supposedly a spy, but really a traitor and was supposed to have been killed. But apparently ...more
Liz
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
This is the final Mrs. Pollifax mystery. The author, Dorothy Gilman, died of complications of Alzheimers disease twelve years after this volumes publication in 2000. Im assuming that Dorothy Gilmans illness prevented her from bringing Mrs. Ps adventures to a conclusion. I very much enjoyed this last story, in which Mrs. Pollifax and John Sebastian Farrell travel to Syria in search of an American girl who thwarted a terrorist attack, then disappeared. Amanda Pym has been written off as dead by ...more
Barbara ★
This is a cozy mystery series featuring an older (think senior citizen) lady who believe it or not, works for the CIA. Here latest adventure takes place in Syria where she is asked to discover if a kidnapped American, Amanda Pym is in fact still alive and being held captive by terrorists. Of course, the story is slightly ridiculous (an elderly lady overcoming tried and true terrorists) but it's fun and quick to read. Don't get me wrong there is evident danger and Mrs. Pollifax and John Farrell ...more
Joanna
Nov 07, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful quick reads. Mrs Pollifax is the modern Miss Marple---sweet little old lady exterior, surprisingly strong and sharp-witted underneath. Very fun series.
Michelle Casey
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick spy cozy taking place in Syrian desert.
Kathleen
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I really enjoy these books the way I enjoy good candy. No, they aren't anything really substantial, but they are fun while they last and leave me wanting another one.
Susan
Mar 13, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been a while since I've had a Mrs. Pollifax book, and I really enjoyed getting back to it. In this one, the CIA asks her and her old crony Farrell to go to the Middle East in search of a young woman. The girl had faced down hijackers on a plane, landed in Damascus, gives a brief interview, then gets into a car and is never heard from again. Mrs. P will masquerade as the girl's aunt, since she appears to have no living relatives, to try to get some information and find the girl if she is ...more
LobsterQuadrille
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mrs. Pollifax fans
It has been much too long since I last read a Mrs. Pollifax adventure, so Mrs. Pollifax Unveiled was a pretty refreshing light read. I enjoyed the characters, as usual, mainly Mrs. Pollifax, Farrell, and Joe. Amanda was a interesting enough character, but since she was introduced later, I don't think she had the same level of character development.
I'm not sure yet if I will end up re-reading this book at some point, since I found it a bit lacking compared to the others I have read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Play Book Tag: Mrs. Pollifax Unveiled by Dorothy Gilman 3 stars 2 10 Jul 27, 2019 12:26PM

• Homicide Trinity (Nero Wolfe, #36)
  • Triple Jeopardy (Nero Wolfe, #20)
  • One Fine Day the Rabbi Bought a Cross
  • Booty Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney #14)
  • Break In (Kit Fielding, #1)
  • Knockdown
  • The Cult of Venus: Templars and the Ancient Goddess (Templars in America Book 7)
  • A Divided Loyalty (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #22)
  • Murder at the FBI (Capital Crimes, #6)
  • Uncommon Clay (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #8)
  • I And My True Love
  • The Buzzard Table (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #18)
  • The Father Hunt (Nero Wolfe, #43)
  • The Battered Badge (Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe Mysteries #13)
  • Tail Gait (Mrs. Murphy, #24)
  • Three in Death (In Death, #7.5, 12.5, 22.5)
  • Airs Above the Ground
  • Dead Man's Bones (China Bayles, #13)
Dorothy Gilman was born in New Brunswick, New Jersey, to minister James Bruce and Essa (Starkweather) Gilman. She started writing when she was 9 and knew early on she was to be a writer. At 11, she competed against 10 to 16-year-olds in a story contest and won first place. She attended Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts and briefly the University of Pennsylvania. She planned to write and illustrate ...more

Mrs. Pollifax (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax, #1)
  • The Amazing Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax, #2)
  • The Elusive Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax, #3)
  • A Palm for Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax, #4)
  • Mrs. Pollifax on Safari (Mrs. Pollifax, #5)
  • Mrs. Pollifax on the China Station (Mrs. Pollifax, #6)
  • Mrs. Pollifax and the Hong Kong Buddha (Mrs. Pollifax, #7)
  • Mrs. Pollifax and the Golden Triangle (Mrs. Pollifax, #8)
  • Mrs. Pollifax and the Whirling Dervish (Mrs. Pollifax, #9)
  • Mrs. Pollifax and the Second Thief (Mrs. Pollifax, #10)

News & Interviews

“...remove the cold war and internal conflicts multiply in countries by the week.” 0 likes