Start by marking “Heaven (A Prison Diary #3)” as Want to Read:
Heaven (A Prison Diary #3)

Heaven (A Prison Diary #3)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  1,354 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Jeffrey Archer's final volume in his trilogy of prison diaries covers the period of his transfer from a medium security prison, HMP Wayland, to his eventual release on parole in July 2003. It includes a shocking account of the traumatic time he spent in the notorious Lincoln jail and the events that led to his incarceration there, and also shines a harsh light on a system ...more
Published July 25th 2006 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heaven

Karen
Well I am glad I read all three of them. It was interesting to read what he had to go through and to learn what others prison sentences were for far more serious crimes. I suppose there are legal reasons for his not spelling out what exactly the judge had against him. I was especially impressed with his ability to write three books and not refer to his crime in any meaningful way, ie what it was nor how innocent or guilty he was.

In the end I was left with more questions then answers concerning
Arabella
Much to my surprise, by the end of this (the third of Jeffrey Archer's Prison Diaries"), I actually felt sympathetic towards Archer and his situation, especially as it becomes clear that in their efforts to ensure he doesn't get 'special treatment' due to his celebrity, he actually winds up getting worse treatment than is merited. It is clear that during his time in prison, Archer was exposed to people from different backgrounds and the ins and outs of the British penal system. It makes you thin ...more
Chanaka Hettige
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sharing seven hundred odd days with Jeffrey Archer in prison has come to an end with a good light. Quite enjoyed the last iteration which I give the full five stars while rating four for previous two.

It's quite sad to see how the celebrity is mistreated simply because the people are over concerned about giving him special treatment. And that made Jeffrey suffer far more than a normal inmate.

The diaries are fine insights into the works of prison service, lifes of prisoners and the different men
Gautam Mathur
Dec 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I never thought a prison diary could be so interesting. The set of three captures what none (hopefully and luckily) of us would ever go through. Archer's insights into the daily life of prisoners, relationship / bonds formed on the inside, as well as the importance of support from outside (family & friends) are fascinating. His critical and non biased observations on the drug problem is refreshing. The style of writing remains crisp as ever and borders on entertaining. After-all prisoner's a ...more
Dr.J.G.
The cover photo with a patch of bright sky behind bars high above in the cell shown here is probably from the last cell he occupied in the place he surprisingly names Heaven (wouldn't earth be more appropriate, with Heaven reserved for home and family and freedom?) in this last part of his prison diaries, North Sea Camp, for one day.

That itself is a shocking turn of events stamping forever the British justice and other bureaucratic systems with a blot on the escutcheon, where individuals might
Joan Fisher
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-archer
Remarkable balanced account of what it's like to be incarcerated and the unfairness when you are a public figure. Interesting anthropological account of what happens to inmates' spirits while incarcerated.
Sharon
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After finding the second instalment was treading water a little I wondered how Archer would keep up any intrigue and interest with a third, and in fact the longest, book of his three part diaries. (Though towards the end he does only include highlights of his full 725 days in prison). I needn’t have worried, this in fact turns out to be the most interesting, well informed and poignant of the lot. In Heaven it follows Archer’s time in North Sea Camp in Boston, a category D prison as well as his s ...more
Indah Threez Lestari
771 - 2013

Sebenarnya... agak boring sih dibandingkan dua buku sebelumnya. Tapi dengan buku ini kita jadi bisa membandingkan kondisi-kondisi penjara di Inggris untuk terpidana kategori A sampai D.

Di buku ini Jeffrey Archer menceritakan pengalamannya selama berada di penjara terbuka North Sea Camp, benar-benar heaven deh kalau dibandingkan Belmarsh dan Wayland, meskipun Archer kepinginnya sih dapat penjara Spring Hill yang lebih dekatr rumah. Para tahanan bisa kabur kapan saja, kalau mau dan kalau
Stephanie
The closer I got to the end of this book, the more frustrated I became with the Home Office - it seemed like they were "out to get" Archer - and maybe they were and maybe they weren't - but certainly someone was willing and able to treat him unfairly by telling him after the facts what the rules of his limited release were. He had been an absolutely model prisoner and person or persons unknown just kept screwing him over (keeping him from going to a prison near his family, allowing him to teach ...more
Lisha
Sep 18, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
When I start counting the number of pages I need to get through to find the end of a book, that book is not be a great book. It probably is not even a good book. After the first two prison diaries (Hell and Purgatory), it was only logical to finish Archer's prison experience (whether I believed him to be innocent or not) with the third and last diary. Right from the beginning, I started to count the number of pages left and I nearly gave up towards the very abrupt end. It was perhaps more enjoya ...more
Vanessa
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must say, I never really paid much attention to the prison system nor even gave thought to the level of crime and discrimination that actually occurred in prison. Yes this is the UK system but I can well imagine it is pretty much similar to the US or elsewhere as well.

I agree that special treatment cannot be given to any one prisoner because of his standing in society, however, why should he be discriminated because of that? Drugs in the prison? It is ridiculous how prevalent its use is in pr
Ray Kelly
A Prison Dairy – Volume 3: Heaven, is Jeffrey Archer’s third and final book about his life in a prison in England. This book covers the period of his transfer from a medium security prison, HMP Wayland, to his eventual release on parole in July 2003. The book opens on Day 89 of his incarceration, as Archer arrives at North Sea Camp, an "open" prison for well-behaved lifers and convicts nearing parole. The focus of the book is on daily prison life. It includes the details of the traumatic time he ...more
Deane
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
An amazing book...read it in 2 days...easy to read, crisp, to-the-point about what prison life is like. Scary to think of young men with crimes related to driving without a licence or shoplifting to be placed in cells with murderers, drug addicts, thugs with no chance for weeks to any kind of rehab or educational benefits.

It was so frustrating to read that Archer got a 4-year sentence while most other perjurers got sentences in the 18-month range.

And because on his day out, he and his wife sto
Leslie
Jan 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
i have read a lot of jeffrey archer, i should just say that you need to read this author when you have a chance.
these 3 books are when he was in prison.... yes, you have read that correctly, jeffrey archer famous writer was in the Queen's Prison System.
if you are worried about how the inmates treated archer, there is nothing to worry about. the stories about the other prisoneers whom he has met are fascinating and the description of the prison system is interesting to say the least.
the first t
Yvette Smart
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant, I was sad to see this trilogy end, (although very glad to see him released I might add!) especially as Jeffrey went to Hollesley Bay, which could have been another instalment... However I understand his reasons for not doing so. I admit to being one of those who thought at the time of his incarceration that he was just another corrupt politician. I stand corrected. What a great bloke, to whom some injustice has certainly been done. I have read quite a few of Jeffery Archer's books now ...more
Faith Bevitz
I won't recommend these all three diaries back to back. I was annoyed and bored when I finished this. Yes, I know that jail rules don't make sense. Yes, I know it is hard to be a celebrity in jail. Yes, I know there is a drug problem in jails...

There was an interesting twist in this diary...Being American, I didn't know the specific's of Lord Archer's prison sentence. So, it was worth reading this book to learn of it.
JulieLaLa
As the final book in the Prison trilogy, I was disappointed by it. It was too long, repetitive, and left me feeling unsatisfied as a reader who invested quite a bit of time in Jeffrey Archer's story. His time in prison is well-detailed, but the instances of the unjust treatment he received were too thin; it did appear that he was able (by dint of personality? celebrity?) to navigate prison quite well and make some prison "friends/allies". Still, I'm glad I read this.
Kerry
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than I thought it would be. I am not sure who comes off worse in this series, the British prison system or the British press. I suspect they both deserve it. I need to move on now and read Archer's biography to get another side of this story. I found the ending to this volume bizarre and would be interested to know who was behind it. was a bit sick of it after the second one, which was the weakest in my opinion. In the end I am glad I persevered.
Wendy Soliman
Mar 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Archer at his best again. The middle diary slumped a bit but his descriptions of finally moving to an open prison was enlightening. I truly understand a lot more about the prison system than I did before reading this series of books and, like him, won't automatically think that the inmates are getting what the deserve, even if most of them do deserve it! Good stuff.
Emily
Sep 06, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like this book as much as its predecessors. It seemed a bit choppier and less well-edited. There were also several parts that just seemed like "hey, look who I know" glory references. Still, it provided a fascinating and depressing look into the British prison system. I imagine that American prisons face many of the same issues with drugs.
William McDuff
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting all the way through, really, though I still frown a little at Archer's opinion that he should be even with others rather than actually following the rules. Then again, we all jaywalk in small towns, don't we? Bah. Conflicted, though it does seem that he got the short end. I'd be curious to read the outsider's view, but there's no real way to get that, is there?
Sundarraj Kaushik
Continues in the same vein as the other two Prison Diaries and he himself has indicated at the end of the book it was better that he finished with it as the theme was repeated too many times.
One only hopes that after having spend time in the prison Lord Archer has made sincere effort to correct the wrongs in the prisons.
Lori Underhill
Oct 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final of 3 prison diaries. Heaven refers to the fact that this takes place (mostly) in what is called an "open" prison. Here prisoners are not locked up for 22 hours a day. They each have daily jobs and no locks on the doors. Toward the end, however, an event placed him back in a much more controlled prison and the entries became fewer and far between.
Kathryn Levine
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and thought provoking insight into life in British prisons

The extent of the drugs culture is disturbing. Surely this must be a priority to tackle for the benefit of society as a whole. Heroin in particular rips lives and families apart and merely locking people up is not working as Archer makes clear in his book.
Mj Amirault
The prison Daries did not make me like Jeffrey Archer as a person. Even though he felt he was treated wrongly by the system, I afraid I think he was guilty. But I still like his writing style and will continue to read his books. By the end of book 3 I was ready for the saga to end.
Jeannie Niles
Feb 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read all three of the Prison Diaries and found them spellbinding. It was eye opening to actually hear what occurs in the prison system. I love Jeffrey Archer and his writing. What an amazing man.
Leela
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will miss this diary. Reading all three in qick succession leads me to believe that in a day or so I will want a fourth. A wonderful account, quite an abrupt ending, but to be fair, there were only ever going to be highlights in what would be a mundane life in heaven. Well done Jeff.
Nancy
Jan 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
This is the third of a series, a book you can pick up for a five minute read but not one I would read for hours. Did enjoy it, but the first two were a bit better, more happenings in a C-cat facility.
Mary Lou
I might have changed my mind about this trilogy. Whatever else it represents, it does make compelling reading. Taken at face value, the apparent treatment of the writer at the hands of the press, the Head of the Prison Service and the Home Secretary is shocking
Bonnie
Feb 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jeffery Archer is a Fantastic Author! He can even bring life to a prison diary! Though I much prefer his many Great Reads he has provided us with over the years, this is interesting but a little too intense.....
Next Read.... Another of The Clifton Chronicles
  • Helpless: The True Story of a Neglected Girl Betrayed and Exploited by the Neighbour She Trusted
  • Medical Mysteries: From the Bizarre to the Deadly . . . The Cases That Have Baffled Doctors
  • The Education of a Very Young Madam
  • Hostile Waters
  • Little Hut of Leaping Fishes
  • Deeds of Mercy (Mark Taylor, #3)
  • The Richard Burton Diaries
  • Switching Teams: What Coming Out Later in Life Taught Me about Love, Conquering Fear and Accepting Change
  • The Circuit: An Ex-SAS Soldier's True Account of One of the Most Powerful and Secretive Industries Spawned by the War on Terror
  • A Fist in the Hornet's Nest: On the Ground in Baghdad Before, During & After the War
  • Jeffrey Archer: Stranger than Fiction
  • Ernie: The Autobiography
  • A Cry of Angels
  • Hood Rat
  • 2232 (Percipience, #3)
  • Mr. Strangelove: A Biography of Peter Sellers
  • Faulks on Fiction
  • The Simple Life
Jeffrey Howard Archer, Baron Archer of Weston-super-Mare (born 15 April 1940) is an English author and former politician.

He was a Member of Parliament and deputy chairman of the Conservative Party, and became a life peer in 1992. His political career, having suffered several controversies, ended after a conviction for perverting the course of justice and his subsequent imprisonment. He is married
More about Jeffrey Archer...

A Prison Diary (3 books)
  • Hell (A Prison Diary, #1)
  • Purgatory (A Prison Diary, #2)