Start by marking “The Illustrated Book of Signs & Symbols” as Want to Read:
The Illustrated Book of Signs & Symbols

The Illustrated Book of Signs & Symbols

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  497 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
This stunning illustrated guide to more than 2,000 signs and symbols covers the arts, religions, and folklore of cultures across the world. Cross-referenced, color-coded, and indexed.
Published September 1st 1996 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley) (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Illustrated Book of Signs & Symbols, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Illustrated Book of Signs & Symbols

Ines
Aug 13, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
This is a very visual book presenting the information through many beautiful illustrations, with annotations to help decode the meaning of the larger & more detailed pieces. It certainly is an inspirational work & were I able to devote more time to research, I would probably buy it to dip into.

The book is divided up into sections beginning with the Cosmos, which covers the visible planets & their satellites, natural phenomena like weather & the seasons plus a few on gold & pr
Paperclippe
This is very good as an absolute beginner's guide to the symbolism and signage of cultures, but as any sort of authoritative book, even a brief one, this is just sad. It leaves out very many important facts and correlations and in certain places borders on the downright wrong. It's good for a quick glance and really nothing more.
Bibliophile 14
أعجبني الإخراج الجميل من ناحية الصور والرسوم
لكن كان عيبه الإيجاز و عدم التعمق في الطرح
يكتفي بعدة كلمات عن الرمز
كما انه ليس شاملا حيث افتقر لذكر رموز و علامات كثيرة

الجميل ان القارئ يستطيع ان يعرف الاسم الخاص بالرمز أو العلامة وما أكثر الرموز والعلامات التي تمر علينا كل يوم حتى حفظنا رسمها لكن دون أن نعرف اسمها!! و ما عليه بعدها إلا "الجوجلة" ليتمكن من التوسع
Aurore
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I was a bit disappointed with this one. The pictures in it are great, but it greatly lacks depth.
A nice read-through in a library, but not necessary for a book collection.
Bina CHAUHAN
I loved the variety and expanse of the various symbols, but I felt like the book was lacking information on each one. She could have gone into detail about each symbol more.
Sumayyah
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good edition to any library.
Judith Graves
Handy resource for paranormal writers with beautiful illustrations. Also got a kick out of the cricket umpire's symbols section - 'cause you never know.
Lisa Shafer
Very small print in places. The illustrations varied from good to awful. At times, color-on-color printing was used, making everything very hard to read.
Alouise Dittrick
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I got this book from my grandparents when I was a kid, and I love it. It contains information about signs and symbols from around the world, and is organized into several categories. 1. Mythologies and religions. 2. Nature. 3. People. and 4. SymbolSystems. The book isn't very in depth, so if you're looking for a resource for a college paper, or if you want to really get in depth then this probably isn't for you. It does photos and a short description of thousands of different signs and symbols. ...more
Lovekitty
Back when I was thinking about a fantasy story of mine, I went and got this book because the story involves many things that have to do with profound meaning behind names and things.
I love how this book covers many different ideas, explaining nature, religion, magic, the sun and moon, etc. And showing what these things mean in other cultures, what they are in legends, mythology and history.
I love the illustration and the format, these things making it a fun, easy and engaging read if you want t
Juliann
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I know next to nothing about signs and symbols overall, but I do know a bit about Christianity. I noticed three errors right away on the two pages devoted to Christianity, so I have to question the accuracy of the rest of the book's content. Even if the rest of the book is 90% accurate, how to know what's accurate and what is not? Perhaps having an expert in each discipline edit each of the sections of content would have been prudent. Still not a bad book to flip through for trivia.
Connie
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This one is probably more of the type that is interesting to browse-- not quite a coffee table book, but not something that is riveting, plot or character driven and that you need to read cover to cover. Sort of between coffee table and reference book. I liked it. It's the kind of book where you read along and then find yourself saying "Wow. I didn't know that."- Lots of trivia for those of you out there who like that.
Anna Wallman
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Väldigt intressant! Mycket om olika tecken och symboler, indelat i olika teman.
Dock skulle man vilja ha en mer försvenskad version, det här är en rak översättning med det amerikanska handalfabetet för teckenspråk t ex.
Guldtrycket som förekommer i stort sett på varje sida gör visserligen boken vacker, men det blänker mycket och är irriterande för ögonen. Läsa med solglasögon kanske?
Ros
Mar 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Es un libro bastante interesante aunque puede ponerse algo tedioso en algunas partes. Fue incómodo de leer pero esto se debe más a que lo leí en mi teléfono que a causa del libro. Fue bastante informativo y me ha dado algunas ideas para usar además de servirme como referencia mas adelante. Lo leí por mi clase de semiología pero valió la pena.
Mate
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bogato ilustrowany i rzetelnie przygotowany przewodnik po znakach oraz symbolach obecnych w sztuce, religii a także w życiu codziennym. Historia symboli przedstwiona przejrzyście w sposób prosty i zrozumiały, natomiast doskonała szata graficzna rewelacyjnie dopełnia merytoryczną treść przewodnika. Uczta dla oka i niejednokrotnie zaskoczenie dla duszy!
Can
Mar 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Can by: I read it after my mother bought it over a decade ago.
This book was one of the main things that led me on a spiritual quest, the seeds of which had been planted in my early childhood. I was around 8 years of age when this book first crossed my path, and its well worn from repeated use. If you can find a copy, you can learn a lot about many things the world over. Its still one of my primary sources for a quick synopsis on many signs and symbols.
Brian
Jan 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful book with almost too much information. It's the kind of book you read through
Then pick it up again. The book talks about various symbols and their significance. It ranges from religious, to everyday objects and because it is a DK book, it has a huge amount of illustrations.
John Lee
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an awesome, one-of-a-kind reference. It shows you the symbolic value different societies (modern and historic) apply to different things. It's illustrated throughout. Flip to any page and you learn something surprising. Great book. And it's surprisingly affordable.
Jim S
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Lo he utilizado como libro de consulta en una de las materias que imparto en la licenciatura en diseño gráfico.

Básico para cualquier estudiante de diseño, comunicación, publicidad y similares.

Karlie Nyte
I think that this book is a great resource. If you simply need to check on something, you can run to this book for the bottom line, so to speak. If you are a newbie to this type of information, this is a great book to start with.
Elise
Mar 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Decent reference guide to many different signs and symbols around the world. My favorite sections were the last three: Myths & Religions, Society & Culture, and Symbol Systems.
Amy
Aug 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Knowledge was dropped! Dave did not read this book. It was me.
Georgene Pijut
A fairly comprehensive book. If they revised the descriptions for greater accuracy and less generality, it would jump up to 5 stars for me.
Alphaomega
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book of various signs and symbols..
Great source for finding mythical things...
Abdul Aziz  Fouad khuraibet
حقا كتاب جدير بالاهتمام يحتوي على جميع العلامات والرموز و الاحاءات التي تبين المعنى والمغزى لها باللوان والصور المعبرة من حيث الجانب التاريخي والفني واللغوي
Linda
Sep 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book lots.
It's a great reference book about all sorts of things regarding signs and symbols.
Molly
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who loves facts for references or just because you're interested in a slew of great facts should get this book.
Ash
Jun 03, 2007 rated it liked it
A good compendium of various symbols.
Denise
With beautiful imagry and interesting antecdotes, Ms. Wilkinson has compiled a smallish collection of the most popular of iconic images from around the world.
Tapani Aulu
May 14, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Olipas surkea esitys. Kirjan nimi lupaa symbolien ja merkkien alkuperää ja merkityst, mutta ei tässä kyllä ole mitään muuta kuin kuvia (paljob vääriä) ja kahden lauseen kuvauksia. Aivan turha kirja.
  • Weapon: A Visual History of Arms and Armor
  • Battle
  • A Dictionary of Symbols (Occult)
  • The Illustrated Signs and Symbols Sourcebook
  • Myths  &  Legends: An Illustrated Guide to Their Origins and Meanings
  • Spirits of the Earth: A Guide to Native American Nature Symbols, Stories, and Ceremonies
  • The Complete Dictionary of Symbols
  • Fighting Techniques of the Medieval World: Equipment, Combat Skills and Tactics
  • Ravensong
  • Indian Food Made Easy
  • Secrets of Angels & Demons
  • The Illustrated Book of Myths
  • Biblioholism: The Literary Addiction
  • Divine Proportion: Phi In Art, Nature, and Science
  • The Temple of Man: Apet of the South at Luxor
  • Art and Symbols of the Occult: Images of Power and Wisdom
  • A History of Histories: Epics, Chronicles, Romances and Inquiries from Herodotus and Thucydides to the Twentieth Century
  • Myths of the Greeks and Romans