Start by marking “Dirty Blood (Dirty Blood #1)” as Want to Read:
Dirty Blood (Dirty Blood #1)

Dirty Blood

(Dirty Blood #1)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  4,896 Ratings  ·  434 Reviews
I killed a girl last night. I did it with my bare hands and an old piece of pipe I found lying next to the dumpster. But that’s not the part that got me. The part that scared me, the part I can’t seem to wrap my head around and still has me reeling, was that when she charged me, her body shifted – and then she was a wolf. All snapping teeth and and extended claws. But by t ...more
Published April 2nd 2011 by Accendo Press (first published April 1st 2011)

Anachronist
Mar 22, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
EN GARDE!

My impressions:
ENGAGEMENT
If you read the synopsis then you will know...nothing, literally nothing about this novel. What's more, you might be tricked into thinking it is a nice YA Urban Fantasy with werewolves. It is NOT. Before I reveal the whole ugly truth about this one let me put on my protective suit and I warn you: things will become dangerous from that point. If you are queasy, just avert your eyes and leave. Yes, there will be BLOOD.
Now, protected by many charms, garlic and s
Anne
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hate the cover, but really enjoyed the story, much more than I thought I would.
Chelsea Fine
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dirty Blood was incredible. It is VERY well-written and a completely original take on werewolves. I was sucked in from page one and couldn't wait to get my hands on the sequel at the end. The heroine, Tara, is strong, intelligent, capable and easy to relate to. And Wes, the smokin' hot love interest, is worth every word. I believed in Tara. I wanted to make out with Wes. And I was captivated by the storyline. Destined love, forbidden love, mysterious love...yeah, Dirty Blood has it all.
Runningrabbit
There are parts of this story, particularly dialogue, that I wonder if the author started up after a crappy night's sleep. What. Was. She. Thinking? Who knows. Pity the editors weren't up to the task... To balance that out, there are parts that read just fine.

The main character, is OK, although I wouldn't call her completely likable. But then again, she is a teenager. The romantic interest is pretty much of the same ilk. He is supposed to be conflicted, and on the whole, I don't believe this cam
Katrina
Apr 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
On a cold frosty night Tara finds herself abandoned and no way to get home, so she decides to catch the bus. On her way to the bus stop, she finds a young girl shivering uncontrolably, and Tara approaches her to offer her help, the young girl bolts towards her and changes into a wolf.
A wolf with snapping teeth, large claws and one whom wants to kill her. Tara reaches for the only weapon she can find a large pipe and hits the wolf. Now lying beside Tara, motionless, Tara realized she has killed
Cambria
May 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dirty Blood by Heather Hildenbrand
Title: Dirty Blood
Author: Heather Hildenbrand
Format: Paperback, E-Book
ISBN: 1461065712
Published: April 2011 by Accendo Press

Tara is a typical teenager making her way through high school, dealing with a not so nice girl and coming to terms with the fact that the guy she’s dating isn’t the guy meant for her. Her father died when she was a toddler, and she lives with her mother who practically smothers her with over-protectiveness.

While on a date with the guy who’s better off her friend, she deci
Kami Dodson-Perry
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
All Tara is trying to do is save her relationship with her best friend and boyfriend. Things don't go so well on the date and Tara ends up walking home alone in the middle of the night.

Tara knows her life is about to end when suddenly she has ninja like skills and kills a girl. Not a normal girl a werewolf shifter. Tara thinks her eyes are playing tricks on her no way did a girl just morph into a wolf and back again.

Then out of nowhere a guy appears. Wes ......

Wes saves her from shock and trie
April
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Dirty Blood! From the moment I started reading it I was  mesmerised and couldn't put it down until I knew what would happen next. Heather put a unique twist on the whole world of hunters and werewolves history and I thought the whole prospect of half bloods or as their called in the story " dirty bloods " was brilliant. Half werewolf half hunter and hated for it, that's awesome. I don't want to give anything away but there were definitely a couple things that happened that totally surpri ...more
Judi Easley
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: paranormal readers who like a more global outlook
Recommended to Judi by: author
My Disclaimer: I was provided a free copy of this book by the author's representative. I am providing an honest review for which I am receiving no compensation of any kind. All opinions are fully my own.
~ Judi E. Easley for Blue Cat Review

My Review:
What an exciting story line! I've read books that bring the weres and the hunters together before, but this one does it so well. Here's this young woman just trying to get home after a trying evening, and she's attacked because of how she smells by a
Heidi
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four Stars: An action packed book that introduces us to Hunters and Werewolves!

Tara is at the end of a miserable date. Her best friend and now boyfriend, George, put football ahead of their relationship so Tara ends it. Unfortunately, breaking up while out on a date means she doesn't have a ride home. It is February and the wind whips icy cold around her as she scurries down the deserted alley to the bus stop, trying to shorten her time in the frosty night. Unexpectedly, a figure darts out and
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Apr 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Warning: I have said this a lot but it is true, this book was a GREAT book! I could not put it down and I wanted more. I am so looking forward to the sequel to this book. This is an awesome paranormal read.

My Rating: 5 out of 5

My Cover Thoughts: I so love.... love.... this cover. There is a werewolf on a cliff looking up at the full moon in the sky howling.

My Thoughts/Review: This story had me at the edge of my seat wanting more and more. Tara is just an average girl just trying to make it out
Erin
Wow this is going to be a great series!! First off, a huge thank you to author Heather Hildenbrand for sending me a ebook for review, because not only was this a thoroughly enjoyable read, but I'm now hooked on this series and very much look forward to getting to the sequel!!

Dirty Blood is about a seemingly average girl named Tara, who finds herself face-to-face with a werewolf alone in an alley one cold night. With no help in sight, suddenly instincts she never knew she had just kick in, and T
Amy
Jul 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ancient rivalries are nothing new to this pack. The death toll is rising daily, and when you learn children who should not even been here are the keys to it all, each side will do what they can to secure or eliminate the keys.

The Cause: a group that tries to create peace between the Weres and the Hunters. The Cause has been the reason many on both sides have been left to die, the reason so many are suffering. But the Cause is the side to support, isn't it? Or should the ancient rivalry continue
Book-a-holic Fairies
Review Convo:

What made you read the book?

DarkF: Well, I have to say that the blurb looks very interesting and when I expressed my desire to read it, MidnightF also said she wants to, as well. That is why this convo review was born. Haha.

MidnightF: When we were offered to review the book via Mark My Words Book Publicity, I immediately volunteered because the blurb caught my interest. Just after reading the sentence "I killed a girl last night," I knew that I have to read it, and I'm glad I did.
BookLoversLife
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read Dirty Blood when it came out and immediately fell in love with it, well this time it was no different. I fell in love with it all over again.

We are thrown into the action pretty much straight away. Tara is on a date with her boyfriend George. He turns up late, as usual, and Tara says, enough is enough, and breaks up with him. She leaves by herself and ends up traveling through an alley. One second Tara is walking, the next she is facing down the unbelievable. A girl starts charging
Emily
Review originally posted at Doodle's Book Blog

I received an email from Heather Hildenbrand asking me to review her book. After reading the first three lines in the summary I immediately said "Yes!" If you think the summary sounds good, you NEED to read the book! Heather did an excellent job not only creating a world a werewolves and their hunters, but also a story that will hook you from page one.

Dirty Blood opens to Tara breaking up with her boyfriend and him just up and leaving. Minutes later
Mo
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What in the world is Wes? Using compulsion that easily. Tara probably has a long history of being a hunter.
Lisa
Mar 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
Sylvia
Well now this book really surprised me and I really enjoyed reading it. I'm not a big fan of books about werewolves and it takes an amazing story to really captivate me and I'm telling you this book just did that. There is something unique and different about this that stands out from the same old, same old. Okay, before I get carried away, I want to thank the amazing author Heather Hildenbrand for providing me with a copy of Dirty Blood in exchange for my review. And let me tell you I'm honestl ...more
Mikayla
Jan 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Just Ok, But There Is Better (Was given for free for review).

I didn't find much wrong with this book. Though I did find it average compared to some other supernatural series (Twilight not included). So overall just an ok read. An average book, so have given it an average 3 stars.
Tiffany Holme
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Heather asked me if I would review Dirty Blood I was so excited! I had seen the book everywhere for a long time and then Cold Blood came out and more good things were said. Needless to say I couldn't wait to see what all of the fuss was about. Right from the get go I was excited that this seemed like it was going to be a different kind of werewolf book and it didn't let me down from the start.

Tara is just what I love in a female protagonist. She is strong, independent and completely KICK B
Alex Bennett
Dirty Blood caught my attention long ago, but only recently did I decide to read it. This heart-pumping novel starts off with a bang, and the action is steady and fast-paced from there on out. And after that ending—complete with a cliffhanger—I am dying for more.

The werewolf mythology in Dirty Blood isn’t elaborated on much, so I am hoping to see more of that in the rest of this series. I did like that there were both Hunters and Werewolves, and that each was an actual species that you were born
The BookWhisperer
Aug 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series
Hell Yeah!!! This was an incredible book. I would go as far as to say that this is a comparison to my beloved Cat and Bones Series. Heather Hildenbrand offers a kick ass and brutal read that will grab readers from the first page. Tara is your intense heroine that will take no crap from anyone. I was in love with her character from the start. Her sarcasm along with her no nonsense approach gives her a well round and fun personality that proves an immediate attention grabber.

This concept of the “
Nikki Jefford
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tara is Kick Ass!

Dirty Blood moved along super-fast for me, which I loved. The action kicked off from the start when Tara had to fight for her life… and find out the hard way what she was – a werewolf hunter!

Wes is entirely loveable and one hot half-breed. Love the name and love him. He was protective in the “because he gives a crap” sense without being overbearing or overly protective. He knew what Tara was made of and encouraged her training. Good going, Wes.

And I adored the kickass grandma. I
Grace Touch
Rachel
Nov 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Learning that you are a werewolf hunter is bad enough. Finding out only when you’re attacked by one is so much worse.

Tara Godfrey had no idea she was born to hunt werewolves. She had no idea that werewolves even existed until the day one revealed itself to her, attacked her and forced her to defend herself.

One minute she was safe. One minute she was normal. And the very next she wasn’t.

From the moment she stepped foot into that alley, her life was forever changed. She discovered enemies she neve
Kayleigh {K-Books}
Review will be published on K-Books on August 30th

"Responsibility and visions have nothing to do with it Tara. You are my destiny."

Wow!! I am completely and utterly blown away by this book. When Heather emailed me asking me to review this book I instantly said yes. This is one of the books that had been sat on my wishlist for months but I had never gotten around to getting it. One of the reasons for that is that I haven't read many werewolf books that I have loved. Sure, I'm liked them enough
So, I Read This Book Today
Aug 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Urban Fantasy
Recommended to So, I Read This Book Today by: Publisher
Loved it. YA but highly readable for adults It is funny to consider an urban fantasy to be “charming” but that is just what Dirty Blood is – blood, guts, gore, murder and all. Without looking up how it is placed on the genre ladder, I would say that this qualifies as young adult, or new adult, but I found it extremely readable as an adult urban fantasy novel as well. Tara is 17-years-old, but she seems more mature, while still throwing the occasional temper tantrum. Of course, if I were her, I w ...more
Emine
Posted on: www.my-heaven-of-books.blogspot.com

Note: This is one of those books that you read up to the end, despite realizing in the very beginning or just throughout the book that it's going to disappoint you anyways.

Well, yeah. The story starts with our heroine breaking up with her boyfriend and taking a shortcut to the next bus station. On her way she encounters a girl, who turns into werewolve and attacks Tara for no apparent reason. Tara is in shock but is still able to defend herself when
  • Red
  • Descended by Blood (Vampire Born, #1)
  • Pride Unleashed (A Wolf's Pride, #2)
  • Descendant (The Shift Chronicles, #1)
  • Time Mends (Timber Wolves Trilogy, #2)
  • Silver (The Silver, #1)
  • Riley's Curse (A Moon's Glow 0.5)
  • Leopard Moon (Moon, #1)
  • Mortal Obligation (Dark Betrayal Trilogy, #1)
  • Sleight
  • The Legacy of Kilkenny (Legacy of Kilkenny, #1)
  • Blood Moon (Howl #2)
  • Six Moon Summer (Seasons of the Moon, #1)
  • Werewolf Rage (Taming the Wolf, #2)
  • Just a Dream (Carolina Pack, #1)
  • Seducing the Dragon: Part 2 (Stonefire Dragons, #2 part 2 of 4)
  • Blood Solstice (The Tale of Lunarmorte, #3)
  • Savor (Warm Delicacy, #1)
Heather Hildenbrand was born and raised in a small town in northern Virginia where she was homeschooled through high school. (She's only slightly socially awkward as a result.) She writes paranormal and contemporary romance with plenty of abs and angst. Her most frequent hobbies are riding motorcycles and avoiding killer slugs.

You can find out more about Heather and her books at heatherhildenbran

Dirty Blood (6 books)
  • Cold Blood (Dirty Blood, #2)
  • Blood Bond (Dirty Blood, #3)
  • Blood Rule (Dirty Blood, #4)
  • Broken Blood (Dirty Blood #5)
  • Dirty Blood Omnibus (Dirty Blood,#1- #3)
“How old are you?" I asked, my head cocked to the side.
"Nineteen."
It was too much to resist. "And how long have you been nineteen?"
He looked at me like I had a screw loose.
"Since I haven't been eighteen?"
"So you'be been on this planet for nineteen years?"
"That's usually what an age implies.”
7 likes
“I cranked the volume on the stereo and sang at the top of my lungs to an old Britney Spears song, my possession and enjoyment of which, I hoped, would remain a secret between me and my car.” 0 likes