Start by marking “Baby Moll” as Want to Read:
Baby Moll

Baby Moll

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  189 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
NO MAN ESCAPES THE SINS OF HIS PAST

Six years after quitting the Florida Mob, Peter Mallory is about to be dragged back in.

Stalked by a vicious killer and losing his hold on power, Mallory’s old boss needs help – the kind of help only a man like Mallory can provide.  But behind the walls of the fenced-in island compound he once called home, Mallory is about to find himself
Published May 11th 2011 by Hard Case Crime (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Baby Moll, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby Moll

Dan Schwent
Peter Mallory thought he'd left his life of crime behind six years ago but a week before his wedding, he's pulled back in. Mallory has to figure out who's trying to kill his old boss in order to keep his fiancee from finding out about his criminal past. But what do the killings have to do with a family being killed in an inferno years earlier?

As I've mentioned before, the Hard Case Crime series has some duds in it, most of them from around the time this one was published. Fortunately, Baby Moll
Robert
Dammit, I can’t really remember this novel at all. So what I will say is North Dakota is really green this time of year. No, that’s not right either. If there are excess words to be found in the English language, you probably won’t find them within the confines of BABY MOLL. This novel punched me in the gut, and then it kept on swinging even after I had already hit the ground. But that’s what I love about Hard Case Crime novels. Those beautiful bastards rip out your insides, and then staple them ...more
John
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pulp, hard-case-crime
BABY MOLL is an exceptional noir crime novel, especially considering that the author was barely of drinking age when he wrote it. I can't wait to get my hands on more of his work.
The story is typical of the genre. An ex-criminal gets blackmailed by his old gang into tracking down a mysterious hitman. The pacing is fast, the action frequent, and the women gorgeous (and ever so naked). As with most noir stories, what makes it memorable is the language and use of atmosphere. BABY MOLL is one of the
Josh
Aug 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Former mob enforcer Peter Mallory is lured back to the mob by his former boss who is being targeted by a killer hell bent on revenge. Not only is there an omnipresent threat of an assassination looming over the head of the mob boss, his once powerful empire is crumbling before his eyes. The sharks smell blood in the water and are making moves to take a bigger piece of the illegal pie.

Baby Moll isn't so much about the mob related crime and underworld antics that accompany such illegal endeavors,
Andy
Aug 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: wife-swapping gangsters
Shelves: hard-case-crime
Never mind the terrible title, this is an excellent crime novel. It's a twist on the classic whodunit mystery: instead of unraveling who the evil killer is, it's who's vindictively killing off the gangsters that killed someone's parents 15 years ago in a fire.

The gangsters in question are all living in a Rat Pack-style swinging compound complete with unfaithful wives sexing down with each others' husbands and even with rival racketeers. There's more sex than violence in this book which means it
Paul Mirek
Dec 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1950s
Farris seems to have earned a solid reputation for his later thrillers, but this diverting, workmanlike noir suffers from same pitfalls as many juvenilia: familiar characters, mechanical plot, and an adolescent sense of desire (how many times do we have to hear a detailed description of a female character's breasts?). It was first published in 1958, a full five years after the release of Fritz Lang's The Big Heat, so even then it had a lot to live up to. As a a quick read during my morning ellip ...more
David
Jul 29, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: noirboiled
Pete Mallory has cut his ties with the mob. He has a woman he loves, and they are engaged to be married. Pete is ready to live a normal life . . . that is, until his old boss blackmails him into doing one last job . . . etc., etc., etc. Competent but forgettable. As with quite a few Hard Case Crime reprints, it is difficult to figure why this one was deemed worthy of rescue from oblivion.
Linda
Nov 27, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm getting in the swing of the Hard Case Crime books. They are much more violent and more comic book-like than the usual books I read, but I find them kind of fun. We never get to know the characters too deeply so what comes to the fore is the action. Old-time gangster action. The writers for this series are clearly having a good time.
Orangereader
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this a lot, I had a little trouble believing Macy and Mallory where good friends (I wanted some example from the past, I had to just trust it was true).
The story was tight and fast and keeps you guessing till near the end. As Andy says the title seems unconnected with the story but I guess there is a blond in the story.
Chris
Dec 21, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel is definitey on the better side of three stars. While I do not necessarily enjoy the theme of the mob and how you're "in for life" or whatever, the darker sides here of revenge at all costs does sort of make up for the all-to-easy Godfather-style stuff.
Sean McLachlan
This is the first of the Hard Case Crime series I've read. The series has made a name for itself by republishing lots of great but nearly forgotten noir gems. In this book, Peter Mallory, our antihero, has left the mob behind to start a new law-abiding life. He's got it all--a shop by the beach in California, a house, a rich and beautiful fiancee. But then the mob pulls him back, as the mob always does in these books, and he has to help his old boss solve a series of murders--someone is picking ...more
Craig Childs
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Pete Mallory left the mob six years ago, but he is reluctantly called back to the old life because his former boss (and father figure) Macy Barr is being hunted by a psychotic killer who wants retribution for a 20-year old murder. Pete soon finds himself in south Florida inside Macy’s compound, caught up in a brewing war between rival factions trying to wrest control of the business and surrounded by a dysfunctional band of beautiful women and misfit killers, any of whom may be the murderer.

Baby
Steven
I know this is in the Hard Case Crime series, but I read the Crest paperback original edition. The cover blurb says "She was the kind of woman a man would die for . . . and usually did" but that is not what the book is about. Pete Mallory is a retired hit man and is blackmailed out of retirement by his former mob boss. There's a clever revenge plot and a lot of good action scenes but I never felt the urgency.
Dave
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Farris originally wrote Baby Moll in 1958 under the pen name Steve Brackeen. Hard Case Crime wisely chose to republish this masterpiece in 2008. The cover painting on the Hard Case Crime edition is by Robert McGinnis, one of the top pulp cover illustrators.

Farris wrote numerous novels beginning in 1956 under both his own name and under the name Steve Brackeen. His earliest works included The Corpse Next Door, The Body on the Beach, Baby Moll, Danger in My Blood, and Harrison High. Three of
Zei
May 01, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lame. Didn't captivate or thrill me. Got me skipping passages and turning pages quickly waiting for the end, to make sure it was as I predicted.. The killer is obvious from the beginning and the plot and end are neither exceptionnal nor awesome.
The written language is close to spoken english and has no melody or poetry in it.
Pure waste of time.
Andrew Farley
Jun 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This was what I expected out of a short pulp crime novel. It wasn't overwhelmingly deep, nor did it have great character development. But it wasn't bad because there were points in the book that invoked excitement, which is what I wanted out of it. Personally, I couldn't directly identify with Mallory, but I was invested in him and his outcome.
Jesse
Oct 03, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ehh. Forgettable Florida noir with nothing particular to recommend it. A couple of bits of funny, offbeat dialogue, but it's by-the-numbers in conception and execution. Not a book I gave a second thought to even while I was reading it.
Bradley
Hard Case Crime #46
Corey
Jan 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pulpy fun.
Bradley Ewan
Dec 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First Hard Case Crime published book I read. Opened the door so, so smoothly...
Dfordoom
Aug 21, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
Entertaining hardboiled crime fiction.
Michael Foley
The last of my pulp fiction mysteries. Kinda like popcorn.
Kerry
Dec 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty much any Hard Case Crime book I've read is great. Easy to read, with an exciting story to make the pages keep on turning. Loved this one.
Aaron Mcquiston
Nov 08, 2010
Jeff
Apr 21, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Shooting Star / Spiderweb (Hard Case Crime #42)
  • The Murderer Vine (Hard Case Crime #43)
  • The Corpse Wore Pasties (Hard Case Crime, #62)
  • Kill Now, Pay Later (Ben Gates #3)
  • The Max (Max & Angela, #3)
  • Honey in his Mouth (Hard Case Crime, #60)
  • Fake I.D. (Hard Case Crime #56)
  • Fifty-to-One (Hard Case Crime #50)
  • Stop This Man! (Hard Case Crime #58)
  • Blackmailer (Hard Case Crime #32)
  • The Peddler (Hard Case Crime #27)
  • Gun Work (Hard Case Crime #49)
  • Losers Live Longer (Hard Case Crime #59)
  • Dutch Uncle (Hard Case Crime #12)
  • The First Quarry (Quarry #8)
  • The Cutie (Hard Case Crime #53)
  • Casino Moon (Hard Case Crime #55)
  • The Vengeful Virgin (Hard Case Crime #30)
American writer and screenwriter of both adaptations of his own books (e.g. 'The Fury'), of the works of others (such as Alfred Bester's 'The Demolished Man') and original scripts. In 1973 he wrote and directed the film 'Dear Dead Delilah'. He has had several plays produced off-Broadway, and also paints and writes poetry. At various times he has made his home in New York, Southern California and P ...more
More about John Farris...