Start by marking “Daddy Long Legs ” as Want to Read:
Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs

(Daddy-Long-Legs #1)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  36,152 ratings  ·  3,777 reviews
She wanted to be like other girls--not an orphan.

The matron at the orphanage is always telling Judy Abbott that her imagination will get her into trouble. But nothing she ever imagined is as surprising as what really happens to her.

A wealthy trustee of the orphanage offers to send Judy to college--but he doesn't want her to know who he is. All she ever sees of him is his s
Published (first published 1912)

·  36,152 ratings  ·  3,777 reviews

Christy
Jan 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend that men DON'T read this, and I highly recommend that women - particularly girls who enjoy Little Women, Jane Eyre, Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, etc. (basically old-fashioned chick flick books with substance) - DO read this. It's sweet and funny and different, not hard to get through in a day or two, and leaves you with a good feeling.
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Daddy-Long-Legs is a delightful short novel written in 1912. Basically it's along the lines of "Anne Shirley goes to a girls' college." It's mostly epistolary, told in the form of letters written by the main character where she talks (and jokes) about her daily life.

At the beginning of our story, Jerusha is a 17 year old oppressed but imaginative girl who lives and works in an orphanage, where she's grown up. She's unexpectedly given the chance to go to college when one of the orphanage trustees
Rinda Elwakil
Joudy abott my old friend.
Jasmin
WARNING! To follow is a highly illustrative review/plot summary of the book Daddy-Long-Legs.

As a kid, I totally loved the cartoon Judy. I actually miss it sometimes, but then thanks to Goodreads, I discovered that it all started with a book.

Jerusha Abbott is an orphan at the John Grier Homes. She always gets into trouble and has been overstaying for two years. She works her stay by taking care of the younger ones. She's actually scared that they might turn her out, but one day, Miss Lippet calls
Mariel
Jun 20, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: it's easy when you're big in Iran
Recommended to Mariel by: whorephans
Deborah Markus
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
You should read this review if:

1. You haven’t read this book and need to know why you should,

or

2. You’ve read this book, but need to know about the connection between Daddy-Long-Legs and J.D. Salinger.

(Okay, or: 3. Regardless of whether or not you’ve read this book, you now think I’ve been smoking something I shouldn’t have been. Please read this review so I can convince you otherwise. Thank you.)

There is something to be said for not having read the classics as a kid – provided, of course, you s
Werner
Sep 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of early 20th-century general fiction
Recommended to Werner by: It was a common read in one of my groups
Note, Sept. 12, 2016: I edited this review just now to correct the misspelling of tonsillitis.

Before this book was nominated as a common read in my Vintage Tales group, I'd never even heard of it, or of Jean Webster (1876-1916). Going into it, my expectations weren't particularly high. As it turned out, though, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the reading experience!

Though not well-known today, Webster wrote roughly a score of books in her short lifetime (she died on the cusp of
Flannery
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Flannery by: Maggie
I found Daddy-Long-Legs courtesy of the lovely ladies over at Young Adult Anonymous and then devoured it in one sitting. (it is free for Kindle, though devoid of illustrations) Published in 1912, it is a series of letters from the fictional Jerusha (Judy) Abbott to the mysterious benefactor who plucks her from an orphanage and pays for her college. The conditions of receiving the monetary support are that he will remain anonymous (as such, Judy calls him many things but most often Daddy-Long-Leg ...more
Wendy
Sep 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shima Mahmoudi
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can relate to Judy in many ways I can not believe. Most of the times it seemed as if I were the one writing the letters. I love this book. This is not the first time I have read this book and will definitely not be the last.
Beth
I had a nice review all written out, then like a dunce I clicked the little "x" in the corner!! Who does that??

Anyway, I'm not sure if I can completely capture my thoughts again, but I'll try!

You know how sometimes, you're not tired of reading (because who could ever get tired of reading???), but yet you can't focus well and just want something engaging and mostly happy? Well, that was me when I started to listen to the audio version of Daddy Long Legs. I had wanted to read DLL ever since I read
Dorcas
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy
I always have a difficult time rating YA books. Do I rate them as I enjoy them now, or as I would have enjoyed them had I read it as a young adult? It's tricky.

As a young adult I would probably rate this as a five star read. As a forty something adult, I enjoyed it, but I wasn't like all over it. I'd say 3.5 Stars. The author kept me reading, and I thought it was very sweet but I probably wouldn't reach for it to re-read anytime soon. And I'm not sooo invested in the characters that I have to ru
Emer
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children and those who are children at heart
Recommended to Emer by: My Mum
Seemed an appropriate evening to indulge in a little childhood nostalgia. Loved this book as a little girl and it still appealed to me all these years later.... Perhaps influenced by the knowledge that this is my mum's favourite childhood book and perhaps influenced by this sentimental time of year... But no matter, this is still utterly charming and a book that I would happily recommend to any young girl today.
Amy
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this novel! I'm a sucker for epistolary novels (books told through letters, diaries, etc) and this one is particularly lovely. It's wonderfully old-fashioned--the book was written in 1912--and although it's fiction, it's still an interesting glimpse into a young girl's mindset at that time. I think I enjoyed the sequel, Dear Enemy, even more.
Tina ➹ the girl who lives in Fandoms (Book.Enchantress)
4.5 Golden Stars

this was my first Classic
it was beautiful.
I cried during the last letter, even though I knew the ending all along.
the ending was beautiful.
every moments was beautiful!
I loved it.

World: ★★★★★/5
Characters: ★★★★★/5
Plot: ★★★★★/5
Writing: ★★★★/5
Idea: ★★★★/5
Hannah
Mixed feelings on this one. A dear little story, but with some major flaws in worldview. I think what bothered me most was that the message seemed to be that she, a young woman, could take on the entire world, and yet her sponsor orders her around like a dictator. She bucks his orders once and he snubs her for months. And yet she's okay with that.

It also is eager to make of her a Socialist/Fabian, and to make the point of how nasty rich people are (though for some reason the poor people she gre
Bettie☯
F Narrated by Julia Whelan

Description: Jerusha Abbott grew up in an orphanage but was sent to college by a mysterious benefactor she calls Daddy-Long-Legs. In college she falls in love with a young man who wants to marry her, but she refuses because she is an orphan. Finally, after Jerusha--now Judy--graduates, she asks to meet her benefactor.

There is a film with Fred Astaire and Leslie Caron to watch when I'm done with this audio.

Maggie
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Maggie by: Noelle
This is a book that Noelle has been trying to get me to read forever. This is what she emailed me a year ago after I was like, WTF is a Daddy Long Legs?
Daddy Long Legs is written way back in the day by Mark Twain's niece. It's kinda a little Anne Shirley mixed with Jo March. It's all in letter format but the protagonist is so charming. She's an orphan (guess I should put Jane Eyre in there too!) and then one of the orphanage's benefactors decides to send her to college anonymously so she writes
Sara M. Abudahab
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: for women and girls who like old style chick-lit books
Relived one of my favorite childhood cartoons with this one, it was such a light and good read, exactly what you need when the exams are around the corner and you need something funny to lift your mood.
I would recommend this for women and girls who like chick-lit books.
*and did I mention that it was written in 1912!* thank you Jean Webster for writing a timeless piece

As for the characters I loved each and every one;
Judy Abbott
A super cheerful orphan girl who got a scholarship to continue her st
Emmy
How had I never come across this book before!? This was a wonderful, fun read. I wish I had read this as a young adult as I think I would have enjoyed it even more.

The book is told from the POV of Jerusha Abbott, a seventeen year old orphan who, up until this point, has lived her entire life at the John Grier Home for orphans. In the opening, a narrator informs us that an unnamed trustee of the orphanage has offered to send Jerusha to college on the conditions that she doesn't know who he is an
Victoria Evangelina Allen

~MY FIRST BOOK IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE~

This is the first book I read in English; I was about 15-16 years old at the time. I studied the language with my beloved teacher, Galina Vasilievna, in Tashkent (Uzbekistan). I had 2-3 private classes a week, and she would usually give me an obscene amount of home work - well, thanks for that! After some time spent with study books, I came to a point when she suggested 'additional reading' and gave me this book. I was supposed to prepare a couple of pages of r
Versha
Aww I simply fell in LOVE with this book!! And this is straightaway going to my ‘MOST FAVORITE’ Shelf without a doubt!! I am so glad that I found such a charming book without overlooking! I kinda love epistolary novels, which was one of the reason I picked up this book. It’s a story of a 17 year old orphan Jerusha or Judy (as she wants to be called!!) who is sent to college for her higher studies by anonymous trusty funding for her education and in return he only expects a letter from her, every ...more
Zen Cho
Jun 09, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Man, I love this book. It was my first introduction to epistolary fiction, and it's just so adorable. Now the fact that she called her romantic interest Daddy throughout the entire book wigs me a bit, and Jervis is so high-handed and lacking in candour that I'm deeply suspicious of him, but I'm gonna put down Judy's trilling that he's right most of the time because he's years older than her to the mushy-brainedness of the first flush of love, and believe that she's going to be able to handle him ...more
Tweety
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone who has loved Arthur Ransom, Jean Straten Porter and others
Recommended to Tweety by: Maria
Dear Daddy-Long-Legs,

You'll never guess how much your letters cheered me! I feel that in this short time I have come to know you, even if you did choose to be obstinant and remain unknown to me till the very end. How is it I never guessed who you were?

It all seems odd to no longer have your letters to read, its as if the earth has stopped spinning! Do you know that I think I will have to go stick my nose in Dear Enemy now? I shall die if I do not find out what happens next!

How is it that I hadn
Anne
What a lovely gem of a book!

The heroine was so endearing and funny, she is sure to lift your spirits up from her very first letter! For an orphan who had never seen much of the world, she was very brave and happy and I loved how she always tried to make the best out of everything. It shows that those who don't have much truly know how to appreciate what they do have.

This cute little story all unfolds through Jerusha's letters to the mysterious benefactor who is paying for her college education,
Anuda-Be
I have no words

Just read it

🤗🥺♥😭😍
Tandie
Nov 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants a short, sweet, feely-good read.
Recommended to Tandie by: Book club
I loved, no, LOVED this book. (I don't know how to do that thing where you put a line through the word.) The last time I felt this way, like I'd found a hidden treasure, was with Keteura & Lord Death! No, they're not even remotely alike.

We meet Jerusha Abbott on a Blue Wednesday at the John Grier Home. The first Wednesday of each month is spent cleaning & scrubbing the home and the 98 little orphans to perfection for the dreaded visit of the Trustees. At 17, the bulk of the work falls t
Melissa
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
According to the inscription in the front of my copy of this book, my grandparents gave this to me for Christmas in 1987! I was 10 years old when I first read it. I read this as the "Book I loved as a child" for the PopSugar Reading Challenge.

I enjoyed reading this now as much as I did then, although there are some comments that are quite amusing when you know who Daddy-Long-Legs really is!

Judy is an avid reader and an aspiring writer who, with her background growing up in an orphan asylum, does
Luisa Knight
Okay Ladies, this one's for you!

This book had me at about the eleventh word and I was in love with it around page thirteen! The main character is a hoot; she's hilarious, spunky and just plain likable!

Jerusha Abbott, and sadly yes, that's the name she received at the asylum, is an orphan who discovers at age 18 that a mysterious and anonymous benefactor wishes to pay her way through college. The condition: she must write a letter once a month to this unknown person which she nicknames "Daddy-Lon
Radwa
Jun 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've loved the Cartoon and it has been my fav cartoon during my childhood
it's nice to be able to read the novel :)
it's the story of an orphan girl whose life changes when this wealthy man
who she doesn't know, starts taking care of her and sends her to the high school
and starts giving her allowance and so on. on one condition that she keeps writing
letter to him telling him about her progress in school
it's very romantic, very touching :)
a must read and the cartoon is a must watch!
Goodreads Librari...: English version showing as translation 4 25 Jun 17, 2018 03:10PM
Books2Movies Club: Daddy-Long-Legs 3 15 Dec 10, 2017 12:38PM
Around the Year i...: Daddy-Long-Legs, by Jean Webster 5 65 Nov 20, 2017 07:44AM
Vintage Tales: September 2016 Group Read --Daddy-Long-Legs 16 19 Dec 24, 2016 12:18PM

• قصه‌های من و بابام - کتاب اول - بابای خوب من
  • حسنی نگو یه دسته گل
  • Emily of Deep Valley (Deep Valley, #2)
  • قصه‌های خوب برای بچه‌های خوب --- ۴
  • اولدوز و عروسک سخنگو
  • The Blue Castle
  • قصه های مجید
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Désirée
  • آقای با كلاه و آقای بی كلاه
  • An Old-Fashioned Girl
  • مهمانهای ناخوانده
  • ایمان بیاوریم به آغازِ فصلِ سرد
Jean Webster (pseudonym for Alice Jane Chandler Webster) was an American writer and author of many books including Daddy-Long-Legs and Dear Enemy. Her most well-known books feature lively and likeable young female protagonists who come of age intellectually, morally, and socially, but with enough humor, snappy dialogue, and gently biting social commentary to make her books palatable and enjoyable ...more

Daddy-Long-Legs (2 books)
  • Dear Enemy (Daddy-Long-Legs, #2)
“It isn't the big troubles in life that require character. Anybody can rise to a crisis and face a crushing tragedy with courage, but to meet the petty hazards of the day with a laugh - I really think that requires spirit.
It's the kind of character that I am going to develop. I am going to pretend that all life is just a game which I must play as skillfully and fairly as I can. If I lose, I am going to shrug my shoulders and laugh - also if I win.”
280 likes
“I think that the most necessary quality for any person to have is imagination. It makes people able to put themselves in other people's places. It makes them kind and sympathetic and understanding.” 129 likes