Start by marking “Beginnings End (Shattered Skies, #1)” as Want to Read:
Beginnings End (Shattered Skies, #1)

Beginnings End

(Shattered Skies #1)

I was only three days old when the world, as my parents knew it, became the nightmare that I live in; the only place that I have ever known as home. In my world, the humans are no longer the hunters perched comfortably at the top of the food chain. Humans are now the hunted, the prey; vulnerable and scared, just waiting to be consumed. The stories of the creatures that go ...more
Published March 28th 2010 by lulu.com (first published March 20th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Beginnings End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beginnings End

Start your review of Beginnings End (Shattered Skies, #1)
Nadine
This was officially the most ridiculous book I read so far. In the beginning I thought it could be trashy fun, but the further I got into it, the more obvious it became it was just trash. It is a fast read though, so I made it to the end! This review will contain spoilers, sorry, but some books don't deserve being treated with that kind of respect.
(view spoiler)
Runningrabbit
Soundtrack: Tainted love
Novel tightly squeezed into a 3.

It's the beta and pure basic editing that principally destroyed this novel. A bit of strategic finessing and there was room to lift the dead spots and we have the makings of what should have been a fine story.

Beta/word editing 1
Creativity 3.5
Execution 2.7 (given from a lack of pace that could have been avoided with a beta)
Sadie Forsythe
***Spoiler alert***
Not to be mean, but this is going on my 'worst in a while' pile. OK, I don't really have such a stack, but I barely finished this one and I'm barely fending off the urge to rant here in this review. I'm so baffled by this book. Not because of the poor writing (that might have been passable with another few editing passes). Not even because there were too few contractions in the dialogue and names/endearments were used far too frequently, leaving everyone sounding forced and fo
Chris
3.5 out of 5 Stars

Torn between the day and the night, Catalina treads a dangerous, deadly trail among the monsters; sex is her weapon. But what happens when her heart takes over and she falls in love with the head monster, the leader of a new breed of Vampire that is chillingly capable of killing her and the humans she loves?

Courageous Catalina never had the chance to live in the normal world we take for granted. Instead she was born into a world ruled by the alien Vampires that have taken over
Lynn Worton
Oct 24, 2014 rated it liked it
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review. I received this book before it was re-edited, so I can only give my opinion on what I read.

This is the first book in the Shattered Skies series. It is a very intriguing tale and I enjoyed it.

Catalina is a character I had mixed feelings for. I liked her determination and independence, but hated her attitude at times. She comes across as very arrogant and superior, even though she is a human living in a w
Elizabeth
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
It was free when I got this book and thank god because if I would have spent money on it, I would have returned it for a refund. If you can find it for free or you can borrow it then I would go that route if you really want to read it.

description

Its not earth shattering awesome just something to kill time, maybe even get a laugh out of the dialogue because roughly there is none. Most of the book is Cat thinking and having monologue with herself and really half of what is in going on her head is on repeat.
Linda Field
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
SHATTERED SKIES SERIES by Heather Linn
Book One Shattered Skies Beginnings End

Catalina was just a baby when she lost her parents and the world ended, leaving her to live in the nightmare that the world had become.
Humans became food or slaves while the monsters that took over became rulers. These monsters are what your nightmares are made of they are the things lurking in the dark and the things that go bump in the night, and they will hurt you!
Catalina now spends her adult life lying to stay aliv
Amanda
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series shows promise; I love the lead, the other characters are intriguing, there were a few WTF twists and the few spots of humour were genuinely funny.

However there is a but... the dreaded multiple-love-interest cliché is present. Having to follow the thoughts of Cat as she wrings her hands over two guys is a bit of a bore - especially as her reactions and deepest thoughts show that she has really made her choice, but is too afraid to admit it to herself. I hope that the author doesn't dr
Lisa Gemmell
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this series, was free on Amazon which sometimes those free books can be really? This series was refreshing, magical and exciting. I couldn't put it down, it's about how vampires rule our earth and the humans are slaves or wiped out. So this Dr. Walker saved 16 kids from a fate of death and he makes them soldiers or housewives and the main character Cat is different from every one in her group and you find out why, and it has you reeled in that you want to know what happens next. ...more
Melisa
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
loved this book cant wait for the next one
Jill Edwards
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Love this story. Can't wait to see where it leads. Next book is to be released on authors birthday. March 20. I can't wait.
Billy Fowler
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow

I could not put this book down...Heather has really wrote this to where ur there with the characters... I'm getting the 2nd book today...its been since Twilight series or Outlander that I have enjoyed a book so much
Christine Hayes
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was a good story
Ed McDowell
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

A very easy read, took less than 24hrs ,can't wait for book 2 & 3, Heather writes a good book.
Chenay
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great read n a great story
Cherese A. Vines
Mar 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: vampire erotica
Beginning's End Book One of the Shattered Skies series by Heather Linn begins with an alien invasion. But it's not the kind we think of: little men with big heads. No, it's something far worse, and humans ignored the warnings.

The aliens of Catalina's world are vampires who have come to enslave, feed upon and breed with the human race. The product of vampires and humans are Dominus, who are virtually invincible because of the vampires' careful planning. But will their over-planning be their downf
Melissa
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, tour
I absolutely loved this book!! The characters were very well thought up and the storyline was flawless. When I started reading it, I couldn't stop!!

The story starts out that there was a crisis where all the humans were killed off by aliens from another planet; vampire aliens. These vampire aliens begin reproducing with humans making a new race called the Dominus. There were a few select human babies that survived thanks to a doctor; who raises them to know that the males are warriors and the fem
Grant Leishman
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
When I began reading this book, I initially went uh-oh, I've clearly bought a book here that's not intended for my demographic. I suspect it was written for the YA market. The idea of Vampires was one thing, but vampires from outer space, now that was beginning to push the envelope a little. I decided that I would persevere and read the book anyway - after all I'd already bought it - and I'm so glad I did. Shattered Skies; Beginnings End was a damn good read. Yes, it wasn't intended for my age b ...more
Melissa
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I had read the first couple of chapters a while ago and I was instantly interested in this book. Then a week or so ago Amazon had it as a free read and I just at the chance to get it.

This book is another different take on Vampires and how they came to be. Except now they are at the top of the food chain and ruling the world and we humans are used for only 3 purposes. 1. Food 2. Mating 3. slaves. Yup, Vampires rule the world.

I started this book this afternoon and here I am 1:00 in the morning an
Tanya Johnson
Dec 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Catalina (or better known as Cat) is a rogue human, trying to survive in a world full of new breed of Vampires. Her only weapon to kill these monsters is sex (quite the weapon). Growing up under the radar of the Dominus, Cat has learned to fight against them instead of being like the typical female and taking care of everyone and having more children.

Things are going well for her until one night she is paired up with the king and she ends up falling in love with him. The chemistry these two hav
Mary Jo
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved the story line and especially the new ideas that were brought forth with this novel. Having read so many Vampire and other fantasy love stories, both Y/A and Adult, I was sure this would be the same as all of the others. Heather Linn did a fantastic job creating a new world that I've never imagined and a spectacular twist that I never saw coming! High praises for a wonderful new author that I look forward to following over the years.
Kathy Harrington
Jan 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: dystopian, adult
Ok, I'm on the fence here. Yes there were tons of grammatical and spelling errors, but I can tell you that they didn't really bother me as much as some others have stated. Some books like that have made me nutty reading them but I really just skimmed over them. So, the "set up" that kind of knocked me for a loop there, wrong, just wrong. I have to agree with some that the characters felt "flat" and I do see that. But, and it's a big but, I really like this and will read the next book.
Kelley King
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was a little leary about this book but loved it. The story is so different then most of the vampire series out there and the characters are really easy to relate to (for the most part haha) for a first time novel it was really good hopefully going to be able to get the next one in the series shortly.
Erin
Jun 04, 2013 marked it as to-read
There is a really drama filled debate raging on Amazon right now about this book. http://www.amazon.com/Shattered-Skies...

The author was advertising that the book is free on Kindle this week. I am semi-intrigued and many read it.
Ronni
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, looking forward to reading the 2nd one night waves.
Though Cat is a bit flakey for being the Heroine it is definitely a page turner..lots of action, romance of sorts..and what a twist about the family and their "father" I wonder if Cat meets up with Akia again..the chemistry between those two was hot! I give this 4 stars :)
April Hesler
Aug 31, 2013 rated it liked it
A very intriguing story that pulls you in multiple directions.
You don't know what to expect, and what you expect is wrong. Though I do want to continue the series, I hope the editing is better. The amount of errors was tremendous.
Catalina is prophesied to save the world from vampires, though she doesn't know it - and who better to tell her than her father figure, a vampire in hiding...
Karen Southard
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Human or nonhuman?

Cats story is one of mystery and intrigue, you never know. Saved as an infant with several others babies, raised by a man they considered their father, only to find out later that he is vampire, the very thing they hunt to kill or be killed. Cat's many lives should run out but she always returns to herself.read on to find out how she lives and has lived!
Jenn Ellis
Dec 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A different spin on humans vs. vampires

I enjoyed Ms. Linn's book. I enjoy the genre and love seeing a new twist thrown in the mix. I look forward to checking out the rest of the series.
Deb Dionne
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shattered skies:beginners end by Heather Linn

Absolutely loved this book. Have never read another vampire book with this storyline. I cried, got upset for the characters and can't wait to read the next one!! A riveting book!!
Tonya
Apr 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
New book, New world

I found the concept new and different. Cat, the heroine, is feisty and likeable. I've already moved on to read the second in the series and this will definitely be added to my watch list for new books in the series.

• Pawns of the Pacific (The War Planners #3)
  • Shift (Shift, #1)
  • Turbulent (Days of Want #1)
Heather Linn never had any notion of reinventing the Vampire. Her real intention was to give them back their bite. "They are not our friends, they are not our lovers, they are the embodiment of evil, the monsters under your bed, the demon in the shadows. They don't want to be us, they want to eat us"

Shattered Skies (2 books)
  • Night Waves (Shattered Skies, #2)

News & Interviews

“There comes a time when you just have to be willing to decide what is more important to you and leave behind the things that stand in your way or hold you back from being yourself.” 4 likes