Start by marking “Basic Anatomy for the Manga Artist: Everything You Need to Start Drawing Authentic Manga Characters” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  73 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Manga Anatomy Like You've Never Seen It!

You know that manga faces are different from those of regular, American-style comic book characters. But did you know that manga bodies are also different? Well, they are, and Christopher Hart is here, once again, to tell you all about it in his signature accessible style.

This book is loaded with clear step-by-step instructions and i
Published June 21st 2011 by Watson-Guptill (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Basic Anatomy for the Manga Artist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Basic Anatomy for the Manga Artist

Jannah
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: drawing-n-crafts
NOT for beginning artists. I've been drawing (acceptable) anime-style people for years and would like to think I have somewhat of a 'semi-developed amateur' skill level. This is probably for people after they've taken an art class or two on anatomy and might want to use this as a pose reference book. Maybe.
I found it hard to get into and there are scant step-by-step directions on how to do things like heads and hands - it's more "here's the blueprint, here's the finished product" and might be mo
Kate
Jun 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Decent hybrid of an anatomy and manga drawing book. Showing all the muscles and their movements in the character actions. Mostly focused on the body form and proportions. Though I do wish there had been some more clothing and fabric references in how it drapes on the body (most of it was skin-tight).
Sammy C
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
loved all the anatomical details and everything. It was super informative in that area and I love how the author pointed out common mistakes and explained how to fix them. definetely one of the more helpful books i've read.
Jesanna
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was pretty helpful. Sure if you are a beginner it may be a little difficult to get used to the drawing style, just because there aren't many steps to actually get you drawing, but this book is very nice to refer to while you are drawing/sketching.
Rebekah H.
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-design
A nifty reference to have on hand.
Christina
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, manga
Loved this. I was so glad I bought it. I find it is a great help to my drawing abilities.
Oscar
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An excellent breakdown for each part of anatomy; would definitely make a helpful desk reference book.
Sharingan
One of the best books to spice up your manga creations
Anthezar Anthezar
  • Manga Studio with Mark Crilley: More People, Poses and Perspective
  • How to Draw Manga Volume 15: Girls' Life Illustration File
  • How To Draw Manga, Volume 28: Couples
  • The Infinite Wisdom of Harriet Rose
  • Seekers and Saviors (The Enchanted World Series)
  • The Book of Christmas (The Enchanted World Series)
  • The Bartender's Black Book
  • Schaum's Outline of Differential Equations
  • Guitar Player Repair Guide: How to Set Up, Maintain, and Repair Electrics and Acoustics
  • La Conjugaison Pour Tous
  • Cassell's Concise Latin-English, English-Latin Dictionary
  • Lightland
  • Steampunk Gear, Gadgets, and Gizmos: A Maker's Guide to Creating Modern Artifacts
  • Creative Illustration Workshop for Mixed-Media Artists: Seeing, Sketching, Storytelling, and Using Found Materials
  • The Book of Positive Quotations
  • Entscheidung mit Folgen (Maya und Domenico, #3)
  • The Fantastic Art of Frank Frazetta
  • Essential Dali (256 Art Books)

I started drawing character designs for a small animation studio in San Diego, California, when I was still in High School in Los Angeles. I used to drive 136 miles, each way, on the weekends, when I was 16, just for the opportunity to get paid to draw. Cartooning was a magical experience to me.

I graduated from