Start by marking “Organization Theory: Modern, Symbolic, and Postmodern Perspectives” as Want to Read:
Organization Theory: Modern, Symbolic, and Postmodern Perspectives

Organization Theory: Modern, Symbolic, and Postmodern Perspectives

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  162 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Organization Theory offers a clear and comprehensive introduction to the study of organizations and organizing processes. It encourages an even-handed appreciation of the different perspectives contributing to our knowledge of organizations and challenges readers to broaden their intellectual reach.
Published March 16th 2006 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published January 31st 1997)

Terry Grondahl
Aug 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book delves into the heart of organizational theory and the complexity and systems theory that go with an organization. Organizations are not simple but very complex and each organization needs to be seen in its own light. This book is deep and may take a day or two to read but the knowledge this author gives is priceless.
Jan 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is the strongest introduction to Organizational Theory that I have come across.
I'm so not an expert on this topic and I will probably need to rerad certain chapters before I write my internship rapport, but I do think she did an okay job explaining the theories. Whether I understood it, is another matter entirely.
Masoud Qorbankhani
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it
One of the basic books for management student really covers comprehensively all aspect of the organization.
Alice Chen
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
The writing style is a bit verbose, but the concepts are strong and I find myself coming back for reference.
Rachel Ramirez
This book did a good job of separating the three perspectives. It is always interesting to learn something new and how people use these views to make deductions that are best for them in their lives I found exciting. My biggest problems were that the author over explained things. It was like a lecturer who loves to hear himself talk and doesn't realize it could confuse people who are listening. A little editing would have been nice here. The other thing was that some of the graphs were also quit ...more
Jona Eselaye
Jul 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really great introduction to Organization Theory. Hatch does a great job of demonstrating the perspectives through embedding the dominant languages of the perspectives in her explanations. She also draws good comparisons between the perspective. I would however advise that it would have been interesting to also discuss Critical Theory, particularly how it relates and contrasts with Modernism and Postmodernism.
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: phd, 2015
An analysis formed in the historical perspective of organizational theory to modern and future views of research concerning organizational theory.
Oct 27, 2017
Apr 18, 2016
Dec 24, 2017
Andrew Chellinsky
Jan 03, 2018
rated it did not like it
Oct 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Battle: A History of Combat and Culture
  • The Logic of Violence in Civil War
  • Science, Strategy and War: The Strategic Theory of John Boyd
  • Systems Thinking: Managing Chaos and Complexity - A Platform for Designing Business Architecture
  • Interviews: Learning the Craft of Qualitative Research Interviewing