Start by marking “Braveheart” as Want to Read:
Braveheart

Braveheart

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  10,932 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
For love of country, for love of maiden, for love of freedom...he became the hammer and scourge of England.

In one of history's darkest hours there arose from humble beginnings a man of courage and honor -- the likes of whom the world may never see again. Amid the color, pageantry, and violence of medieval Scotland unfurls the resplendent tale of the legendary William Wal

Published December 31st 1995 by Pocket Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Braveheart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Braveheart

Alex Farrand
"Every man dies. Not every man really lives"

Braveheart is about the myth of a man named William Wallace, who fights for Scotland's freedom against England in the late 1200s. Does the man succeed?

FREEEEDDDDOOOOMMM!! Every few lines I had to fight the urge to scream freedom, or I would look silly or scare my dog. I had to fight the urge to find a kilt, a broadsword, a horse, and paint my face blue and run down the street screaming my battle cry. PSST: that would be embarrassing, since I just
Charles
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I very much liked the movie Braveheart. The same man who wrote the movie also wrote this book and they are almost identical, with a few relatively minor exceptions. Just as I liked the movie, I liked the book a lot. I've heard that the history is not terribly accurate here and there are clearly some speculative things. But as a heroic tale it certainly worked. At least for me.
Lusitarius
I've loved the movie ever since I saw it for the first time. That time I also had my first crush on actor, and since that I've been a huge Mel Gibson -fan. So it's really no wonder, that I wanted to read this book at some point of my life.

I liked the story very much. I could see it clearly in front of me; every moment of William Wallace's epic story. Characters were described very well, they seemed very realistic. The only negative thing in the book was the few too short chapters, they really bu
Michelle
Dec 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
EXCELLENT--BUY IT!!**
Ahmad Sharabiani
Jun 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, fiction, movie
William Wallace is a Scottish rebel who leads an uprising against the cruel English ruler Edward the Longshanks, who wishes to inherit the crown of Scotland for himself. When he was a young boy, William Wallace's father and brother, along with many others, lost their lives trying to free Scotland. Once he loses another of his loved ones, William Wallace begins his long quest to make Scotland free once and for all, along with the assistance of Robert the Bruce...
Arwen56
Lo so che è da "femminucce", ma tutte le volte che leggo il libro o mi capita di rivedere il film, mi metto a singhiozzare. Mi commuove tantissimo questa storia.
Steven Ross
It had it's merits as a fun bit of fiction but............

Ever watch a movie or read a book and keep hearing a voice that says,"that's not the way it happened?" You have? Good. 'Nuff said.
Jordan Wilson
Jul 15, 2017 rated it liked it
"They fought like warrior poets. They fought like Scotsmen."

I love the story and legend of William Wallace. I have grown up with the story and the movie, starring Mel Gibson. That being said, I wasn't a huge fan of this book. It was just like the movie, with some added facts and events, which was amazing. If I hadn't watched the movie dozens of times before I read this book, then I probably would have loved it.

Throughout the entire book, I just wanted things to move quicker and read about certa
Aug 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read this when I was 13 as a strategy for getting my parents to let me watch the movie. I figured I could argue that since I'd read the book, then I knew all gruesome details that would be onscreen and thus not be "warped". That argument worked, and I did get to watch it. I don't remember a whole lot about this book other than I did love reading it despite my ulterior motives. It's grossly historically inaccurate (as is the film), but definitely an invigorating read.
Mike (the Paladin)
Jan 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Not a bad read about an extremely inspiring man. The story of the Scottish fight for freedom and the picture we get here of a patriot is a wonderful story. The history is a little shaky, but remember what the newspaper man in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence said: "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."
Ann-marie
Nov 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
If you pick up this book, don't plan on doing anything else until you've finished it. I think it's all time, the best book i've ever read. Oh and also plan on making a trip to the local video rental to get a copy of the movie. Even if you've already seen it.
Kimberly
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kyle Malcore
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
William Wallace is a Scottish rebellion that had his secretly married wife Murren get murdered by King Longshanks Village lord. This takes place in English territory prehistoric civil times. The problem for Wallace and his fellow Scotsmen try to rebel for freedom of Scotland from British exiles. Wallace is very successful in a lot of his battles, with his military technique and his own men fighting for Scotland The events that I enjoyed best were how strong the Scotsmen were and how Wallace and ...more
Sad Face
Jan 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy to read. Not too long. I would recommend this generally to anyone who enjoys reading.

According to my research, and contradictory to popular opinion, this is pretty accurate. The author took some liberaties with the plot and filled in some holes that, honestly, can never be factually filled, but I think he did a good job.

There is nothing fantastical about it, he kept it realistic, and tried his best to stick to the legends and stories that we do have.
Rosanna
Jan 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
I was disappointed. In short, the movie is far better than the book. I never thought I'd say that.

Of course, that's probably because this book came AFTER the movie.

There is a book the movie is based on, called The Scottish Chiefs. It's on my to-read list.
Saman Kashi
Sep 21, 2007 added it
Shelves: screenplay

در صورت تمایل، جهت مشخصات فیلمی که بر اساس این کتاب ساخته شده است؛ میتوانید از لینک زیر استفاده بفرمایید
Layne
Mar 06, 2017 added it
In 1280, King Edward "Longshanks" invades and conquers Scotland following the death of Alexander III of Scotland, who left no heir to the throne. Young William Wallace witnesses Longshanks' treachery, survives the deaths of his father and brother, and is taken abroad on a pilgrimage throughout Europe by his paternal Uncle Argyle, where he is educated.

Years later, Longshanks grants his noblemen land and privileges in Scotland, including Prima Nocte. Meanwhile, a grown Wallace returns to Scotland
Katie
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked this book even with it's flaws. This is a historical fiction (possibly more fiction than historical) about a Scottish Knight named William Wallace who sacrifices everything for the sake of Scotland's freedom from England.

(view spoiler)
Erica
I think it's very difficult to rate a really great book when it has been made into a really great movie. Usually when I read a book-to-movie, I almost always love the book more with the exception being The Notebook. This one was tough because I absolutely LOVED the movie before I even knew it was based on a novel and it is one of the best adaptations of a book that I have seen. I wish that I had read the book first because I think that I would have enjoyed the movie a LOT more. I remember when I ...more
Victor Orozco
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great. As far as movie adaptations go this was pretty good. Great movie Braveheart and just as good as a book. Nice detail to the characters from William Wallace and especially Princess Isabella. My guess over this adaptation is that it was based on a early draft of Randall Wallace's script. Little quirks such as Hamish punching William as a form of affection, the rearrangement of scenes, additional scenes that were probably never filmed or remain on the deleted scenes of a DVD/Blu-Ray release.

T
Kanami Iinuma
Dec 12, 2012 rated it liked it
BRAVEHEART - penguin,level3
12/8-60minutes,12/10-30minutes,12/11-30minutes
7words. Man-Scottish-Blitish- family-fight-free-princess
Discussion question.
1.This main character fight to free his country from British, and finally he died. Can you fight for Japan?
-Maybe, I can't! Because I don't have brave heart like him, I don't want to die because of fight.
2.Scottish fought with using only sword. Do you think can they win enemies with using gun?
-I think they can win! Because to use clever idea is impo
Liz Cee
Feb 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book was written by a direct descendant of William Wallace. In the forward, Wallace tells us that not much is known about the Scottish hero and basically tells us that he filled in the blanks with his own imagination.

The reason I gave this book any stars at all, is because I am intrigued with that time period in history. The reason I deducted four stars was due to the ridiculous amount of typos in my e-book. There were one or more errors on each page! How can any editor let this happen? In
Aaron
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Probably the only movie that is exactly the same as the book. While it's an awesome love story and stale of courage, heroics and freedom it is totally unnecessary to read if you've seen the movie 15-20 times like I have. The worst part about it was I couldn't get Mel Gibson out of my mind the whole time. That and the fact that all I can think about when I envision the year of our Lord 1300 is the dank smells of dirty arm pits and naughty parts.
Rkazmierski
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this before I saw the movie. I loved it mostly because it speaks of patriotic heroism. The action was so intense at times that I felt my heart pounding. The romance side of it balanced the grueling violence enough to bring tears in my eyes amid the battles and suffering. Although true Scots don't like its inaccurate historical content, I very much enjoyed it as it gave me a glimpse into the past days of Scottish highlanders.
woody
Sep 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved the movie and so when I saw this book I had to buy it. Not the greatest writing, but the story was just like the movie. I could picture Mel Gibson in my head as I read. Not sure that either the book or the movie is historically accurate, but the story is spellbinding. English oppressors, Scottish rebels with a charismatic leader beating back the more numerous English in most every battle, fighting for freedom.
I think I'll watch the movie again.
Aaron
Oct 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Braveheart is a sad story about a Scottish man drivin mad by British oppression. William is the main character who loses his wife when a British General kills her. It is a very very sad book and it makes you think a lot. It takes place in the Middle Ages. He is still praised in Scottland for his courage (and yes he was real). I recomend this book to people looking for a good book that will take awhile to finish.
Lexi
Dec 23, 2012 rated it liked it
The only difference between the movie and the book was the ending. There were literally the same lines, same speeches. The book just wasn't that great, the writing wasn't that great. And when you watch the movie you get to look at Mel Gibson so... I'm actually going to go with the movie on this one.
Koichi Amasaki
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Randall Wallace captures the essence of William Wallace in ways the movie doesn't. Often times I prefer to read battle and combat scenes instead of watching it on the big screen. These scenes are very well written in the book. I am able to visualize it as I read. Anyone who enjoys the Scottish highlander culture should read the book in addition to seeing the movie.
Jeanettelkb
Aug 08, 2008 rated it did not like it
i LOVE this movie - even though it is not historically accurate. i love the growth of robert the bruce - and the wise cracking stephen.
unfortunately...the book SUCKED!
seriously - it was some MAN's (obviously man) portrayal of a man's man - it was terrible. the relationships between people - etc - terrible.
ick
i wish i hadn't even picked it up
Gli esuli: Si comincia - discussione generale 50 173 Aug 13, 2017 12:11PM
  • Home Alone
  • Shrek!
  • Inception: The Shooting Script
  • Dances with Wolves (Dances with Wolves, #1)
  • Sleeping with the Enemy