Start by marking “Lady Lollipop” as Want to Read:
Lady Lollipop

Lady Lollipop

Lollipop is no ordinary pig. According to her young owner Johnny Skinner, she's the cleverest pig in the whole kingdom. When people stare into Lollipop's bright, intelligent eyes, it seems to change them for the better. But will Lollipop win over spoilt Princess Penelope - and the King and Queen?
Unknown Binding
Published June 2nd 2003 by Not Avail (first published June 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Lady Lollipop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lady Lollipop

Shauna
Jun 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: with-sallie
Sallie and I finished this last week. She absolutely loved it. There is a simple pencil drawing on nearly every page, and the story was perfect for a four year old read aloud. It's about a spoiled princess who wants a pig for her birthday. She gets the pig, but the pig, named Lollipop, will only obey its trainer, not Princess Penelope. So the trainer moves into the palace stables with the pig. The trainer, Johnny Skinner, ends up training the princess . . . to learn to think of others and to not ...more
Anne
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Adorable tale of a pig & his young trainer who subtly teach a bratty princess (and her entire family) a thing or two about kindness, thinking of others, and making compromises.

Mr. King-Smith has a huge catalog of books & we can't wait to try The Waterhorse and Babe, seeing as we've seen the movies & had no idea they were based on books.
Kristine M.
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Not already reading it but I'm so excited because the comments were so good! And that means that I will enjoy it! (hope!) Wish me good luck!
Beverly
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jf-general
2001 ALA Notable Children's Book
An easy to read book with large print; great for 3rd grade and up. Interesting characters that change and grow in this short novel.
Nancy Kotkin
Not quite the caliber of Babe: The Gallant Pig, but another endearing pig book from farmer-turned-children's-author Dick King-Smith. Too much summarizing and telling versus showing and not enough conflict, even for a children's chapter book. On the other hand, King-Smith really knows how to bring a pig character to life, and the relationships between the pig and the humans are especially fulfilling. The animal training process and the turnaround of the princess are also satisfying, though both h ...more
Natasha
May 01, 2019 rated it liked it
We listened to this 1-hr audiobook today during a longer-ish drive. The narrator does a fantastic job doing all the different voices, but at first princess Penelope's whiney voice got on my nerves. I was very close to shutting it off, but my almost-6 year old daughter was very into it, and I must admit the story even caught my attention. It had a satisfactory ending, of the princess becoming more kind and quiet, having learned that people listen to you better if you talk nicely to them. (A somew ...more
Nicola
May 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children
Didn't appeal to Miss 4; we abandoned it after about 30%. Reading it I couldn't help but be reminded of the UL cartoon 'Little Princess'!

Miss 4 and I like to explore different books and authors at the library, sometimes around particular topics or themes. We try to get different ones out every week or so; it's fun for both of us to have the variety and to look at a mix of new & favourite authors.
Cheryl
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suits Candlewick Press's vision well, which prejudices me in favor. Also written by King-Smith, so of course I'll read it. Turns out to be, indeed, a very funny and homely book, and met my expectations. The characters were not-quite caricatures, their growth plausible, and the plot twists engaging. Recommended to newly-independent readers and to families.
Lynn  Davidson
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A fun story in chapter book format about a very spoiled little princess who demanded a pig for her 8th birthday. What she didn't expect was the change that would occur for the whole palace through the pig and her trainer. Fun story.
Mel
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Babe" author, Dick King-Smith, writes another charming book about a pig who manages to change the lives of those around the porcine prodigy. When Princess Penelope demands a pet, and not just any pet, but the best pig in the kingdom, the King and Queen are flummoxed that she picks a skinny runt named Lollipop. But Lollipop's owner, Johnny Skinner, knows how to train such a pig, and ends up training the bossy princess as well.

It's a cute conceit of "attract more with honey than vinegar" when tea
Sean Harding
Nov 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Book six by DKS that I have read and this one is about a pig - not that pig - this is a different pig tale but by jokes it is an entertaining yarn and again DKS Smith has won me over with an animal tale. This is the first one in I'm not sure how many about Lady Lollipop
Shanna
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 19, fantasy
Princess Penelope is a spoiled brat, always getting her way because no one wants to endure the tantrums she throws when she doesn't. A sensitive pig and her humble keeper teach Penelope the value of kindness. Very cute story with a worthwhile message.
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it

I read Clever Lollipop first, but that does not mean I didn't enjoy this prequel just as much! What a delightful cast of characters and a lovely set of adventures! I look forward to reading more from Dick King-Smith.
Fairus
Jun 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
If you’re a season read out loud reader for your children, this book is boring and predictable. But the characters are fictionally pleasing
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, 2017
Cute. A good read aloud to first or second graders. Third graders would enjoy it independently.
Jonah Stirratt
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it
It was kind of good but it was mildly interesting. I would recommend this book to people who like animals.
Charlotte Martin
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG, where do I even start. This has a real spot in my heart. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book. Read it you have to
Catherine
May 04, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a cute story for young readers.
Amanda Heck
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this OVER and OVER as a kid and love it!
Angela
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I personally really enjoyed this book. My preschooler age kids lost interest quickly so I'm guessing this book would be great for them in a year or so. Very clever characters and fun.
Hannah Grant
My mom loved this story; I think I would have enjoyed it more when I was younger. It kinda reminded me of the The Whipping Boy.
Jean O'Shea
Nov 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lis565
A quick-witted swineherd and a very charming pig named Lollipop are royally rewarded after they reform a spoiled princess. It was chosen as a Notable Children's Book for middle readers by the Association for Library Service to Children in 2002.

This is yet another charming piggy themed book from the author of Babe, the Gallant Pig. Again, the actions of the pig take center stage. However, in this story, Lollipop quietly encourages the princess to change her haughty ways. Readers will immediately
Friend of Pixie (F.O.P.)
Mar 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, british-isles
A bossy Princess used to getting her way (or throwing a tantrum if she doesn't) decides she wants a pig for her birthday. The Queen is not amused, but the King insists the Princess shall have her wish. Pig-keepers from all over the realm come with their offerings and after rejecting one after another, the Princess chooses the dirtiest and skinniest one, named Lollipop, because her keeper has taught her some tricks. When the Princess decides that Lollipop should be a house-pig (or palace-pig in t ...more
Liz
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wee-lads
If you are looking for read aloud chapter books to enjoy with your littles, I highly recommend this one. Both my kids enjoyed it, and I did as well. The characters (spoiled princess, her parents, orphaned farm boy, and pet pig) are well developed. The plot line is simple yet exciting. It will require some silly imagination (aided by the beautiful pictures) but everything in the book could happen in real life. I think this is one of the only chapter books we've read that could actually happen, an ...more
Stephanie Tournas
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Such a fun little fable!
Lisa Brown
Princess Penelope is a spoiled brat, always getting her way, and throwing a tantrum if she doesn't. Everything changes, however, when for her birthday, she asks for a pet pig. Along with Lollipop, the pig she chooses, she gets Johny Skinner, the pig boy, who decides, that with the help of Lollipop, they may just be able to train Penelope to be kind.

A sweet, simple little book that is perfect for the 5-8 range. There are cute illustrations throughout, which also helps hold the attention of those
Becky
Sep 06, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was pretty simplistic but an easy read aloud book for young children. The book has plenty of pictures to keep young kids entertained while reading. There is some old fashioned language in this book which made me think the book was written a while ago (like the 1940s) but this book was written much more recently! The language might need to be clarified for kids. At first the main characters are not very likable, Princess Penelope is a spoiled brat and the King and Queen don't do anythin ...more
Aireli reads
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
If it was up to me I would have given this book no stars at all. I didn't find it appealing, just a story about a bratty little girl who almost learns her lesson. Very predictable and not interesting at all. BUT with that said my niece loved this book and wanted me to read it every time she came to the house. If she had not liked it, I would have thrown it to the side after the first couple pages. This book has taught me to research better before beginning a book to read aloud though.
Karen
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children ages 7-10 will love it.
Recommended to Karen by: Goodreads
This is about a 7 year old, spoiled brat princess, who is trained to be good through the process of training her pet pig. The lessons for young children will not be lost on them, I an sure! The story is delightful, original, and worthy of our children.

June 9, 2019 Luisa: I give this book 4 out of 5 stars. I really liked this book because everyone called Princess Penelope a spoiled child. I liked that she chose Lollipop as her pet.
Kaye
A spoiled 8 year old princess gets a pig for her birthday and the pig trainer (Johnny Skinner) teaches the royal family about good manners and being kind, A very easy read. Reminds me of books form my youth. I will need to try the story out on my students before making a final judgment on how much I like he book. King-Smith has lots of books featuring both NF and Friction titles. I especially like the non-fiction.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Emmaline and the Bunny
  • In Aunt Lucy's Kitchen (Cobble Street Cousins, # 1)
  • Upstairs Mouse, Downstairs Mole
  • Mrs. Noodlekugel
  • Anna Hibiscus
  • Two Times the Fun
  • Mercy Watson to the Rescue
  • Toy Dance Party: Being the Further Adventures of a Bossyboots Stingray, a Courageous Buffalo, and a Hopeful Round Someone Called Plastic  (Toys, #2)
  • The Weeping Werewolf (Moongobble and Me, #2)
  • Smarter than Squirrels (Down Girl and Sit)
  • Stuart's Cape
  • Sable
  • The Magical Ms. Plum
  • The Dunderheads (The Dunderheads, #1)
  • Jenny and the Cat Club: A Collection of Favorite Stories about Jenny Linsky
  • No Messin' with My Lesson (Katie Kazoo, Switcheroo, #11)
  • Lotta on Troublemaker Street
  • Velma Gratch and the Way Cool Butterfly
Dick King-Smith was born and raised in Gloucestershire, England, surrounded by pet animals. After twenty years as a farmer, he turned to teaching and then to writing children's books.

Dick writes mostly about animals: farmyard fantasy, as he likes to call it, often about pigs, his special favorites. He enjoys writing for children, meeting the children who read his books, and knowing that they get